Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

Bringing him on to help out our attack is much more suited to his strengths than him trying to be brought on to help our defence as that defensive anchor. Clear difference in seeing him come on tonight vs seeing him come on last week where he lost his man.

He defo changed the game as a sub.

stevoc

Not a fan of bringing him when we need a goal. But fair play to him tonight he played well, and was involved in the winner.

If he made an impact like he did tonight in every game he was brought on most people would be happier with him.

Sylar

Not a fan of bringing him when we need a goal. But fair play to him tonight he played well, and was involved in the winner.
Rather he be used for that vs bringing him on to defend a lead.

ti vu

His sub was game changing. Bring balance into our team. Not even talking about his contribution in the goal, ruled out goal. He helped strengthen the midfield defensively so Carrick Blind Bailly Shaw get into (passing) game. Repay for his mistake for the first leg laziness.

Ashley R1+O

Perhaps time for people to start looking at his good performances as the standard and not exceptions? It's getting a bit silly reading the same every week - "credit where credit is due... he's shit but today he did good... etc.". You've got to connect the dots, at some point.
Pretty much. He wasn't even that much better today than he usually is. He's maintained this consistent level for most of the season now, bar a couple of mistakes which can rightly be pointed to. Tough as nails, loves to grind and drive the team in that attacking role, has plenty of steel and ability to play in the deeper role. His mentality is what is making his performances go up that extra level. Proud of him.

WoodysWallet

Thought he was really good when he came on. Good distribution of the ball, on top of the aerial threat we needed as we pushed for the winner.

Really pleased for him, as he gets far too much criticism sometimes.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He will never play a defence splitting pass but his distribution is decent I think, just give it to the players who can actually do magic with it. For now he is a very nice squad player I think, but if Fabinho becomes available, he would be an upgrade on Fellaini.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I tough that Mourinho's subs are very negative this days.

I like Fellaini, and since LVG came, I think that he deserves better than all of us think.

It's not down to him, but we were chasing a goal and Mou's tactic were to add a midfielder when we had Mkhi and Ibra so tired. The obvious choice would have been to play Young or Martial and be more creative.

The fact that he's playing Fellaini even when we don't need him is part of why a lot don't like the big guy.

Anyway, he contributed to the goal yesterday, he play an hour, so will be fresh for Burnley and I just say that he's a very important player in the squad

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He is good when the ball is hoofed to him. I think Jose will play him behind Rashford now that Ibra is out.

3KDré

It's not down to him, but we were chasing a goal and Mou's tactic were to add a midfielder when we had Mkhi and Ibra so tired. The obvious choice would have been to play Young or Martial and be more creative.
I think that you're entirely wrong here. We needed a bit more defensive solidarity because Blind is a bit rusty and having Fellaini gave us a great option because he chested the ball down to others several times. It's not pretty football but even Barcelona get Pique in the box and just pump balls to him when they need to.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

I like Fellaini, and since LVG came, I think that he deserves better than all of us think.

The fact that he's playing Fellaini even when we don't need him is part of why a lot don't like the big guy.

Anyway, he contributed to the goal yesterday, he play an hour, so will be fresh for Burnley and I just say that he's a very important player in the squad
Fellaini was subbed on because they had control over our midfield and it was pretty easy for them to create chances. Fellaini's sub completely changed the game in favor of United. Nothing with Mourinho's subs being negative.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Fellaini changes matches. I find his aerial ability to be a bigger advantage in Europe than in the PL. Teams have no idea how to cope with what he brings to the table. He's also got quite the work rate for a big lad and he keeps possession tidy enough even if it's very simple and he's never going to play a world class ball.
This. He will never be a silky smooth world class CM, but he is really good at what he does when used correctly. Yesterday we used him like he was used in his Everton days, and it always causes a real headache for the opposition

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land

No, The fact is Mourinho brought on Fellaini yesterday because we did need him. We needed a lad to stick in to the Anderlecht players in CM and their defence and bulldoze his and our way towards the Anderlecht goal. The flow of the match changed big time in our favor when he came on and as we all know Fellaini played a big part in the goal that sealed the tie.

Brilliant stuff by Fellaini.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Was very good last night, that might be the best I've seen that tactic pay off for us. Hoofing it to him previously never really seemed to come off but he was winning everything.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
On top of his brilliant performance V Chelsea that was up there for me. We were lost for a bit in that game last night until he came on. Play to his strengths and he is a handful. Have to take your hat off to him after getting abuse and even booed by large portion of his own fans... Most would now be greatful hes in the squad! Viva La Fellaini :cool:

rpg

Coincidence or what that once he came on, we started to lay siege on Anderlecht, from 60 min mark until Rashford scored with the ball rarely go past the our halfway line.
And I thought I heard some fans booing Lingard off and cheering for him during the subs?

shield

I don't know about others, but I was very happy with his performance and more so during added time.

Fellaini was sort of like a Herrera lite. He was back quite a few times closing down players, was in the box to bring balls down and was also in the midfield to help Pogba and Carrick (both were very good). Zlatan was struggling a bit and was not being able to hold the ball up well but Fellaini did it effortlessly. Passing was also quite good.

During added time, we ended up having a very good combination of height and pace because of the Zlatan injury. We had the height of Pogba and Fellaini and the quickness of Martial, Rashford and Mkhitaryan. With Fellaini there we had enough height and strength in the box that Zlatan was not needed that much. Zlatan is also tall and strong, but he usually tries to use these attributes to mostly finish chances (which of late has not been working out well). Fellaini however, uses his strength to bring others into play, and with pacy players like Martial, Rashford and Mkhi around, this ends up being far more lethal.

Good stuff from him.

witchtrials

I remember a poster in one recent thread suggesting that Fellaini had been treated substantially differently by officials since moving from Everton to United, as the greater level of scrutiny involved in playing for United meant that he was being refereed more stringently. I'm a bit sceptical but guess it's not totally implausible as players' every move is definitely more closely watched a club like United. I was just wondering whether there were any readily available stats on, say, the number of minutes per foul when he was Everton versus his time at United. If he's being penalised more often at United (even though we are generally a more dominant team than Everton) it would be food for thought.

Runner

I remember a poster in one recent thread suggesting that Fellaini had been treated substantially differently by officials since moving from Everton to United, as the greater level of scrutiny involved in playing for United meant that he was being refereed more stringently. I'm a bit sceptical but guess it's not totally implausible as players' every move is definitely more closely watched a club like United. I was just wondering whether there were any readily available stats on, say, the number of minutes per foul when he was Everton versus his time at United. If he's being penalised more often at United (even though we are generally a more dominant team than Everton) it would be food for thought.
Not sure how accurate these figures are but they indicate he got way more (EPL) yellows at Everton. https://www.whoscored.com/Players/22738/History/Marouane-Fellaini

Lj82

Fellaini provides valuable tactical options for the team, which is why I am happy with him in the team.

Womp

idiot
Fellaini provides valuable tactical options for the team, which is why I am happy with him in the team.
Basically, he'll never be a proper starter for us but he is very good for specific tactical set ups. Could be useful for us next few weeks considering we've lost Rojo and both Bailly and Blind aren't the best in the air.

prath92

Coincidence or what that once he came on, we started to lay siege on Anderlecht, from 60 min mark until Rashford scored with the ball rarely go past the our halfway line.
And I thought I heard some fans booing Lingard off and cheering for him during the subs?
I think the boos were for him from anderlecht fans. Due to him being a former player of standard liege

unitedforeveral

Have to disagree with this. After that Everton debacle and also Anderlecht, Mourinho knows better than to put him in a holding mid. He is too slow to intercept and tackle perfectly, and his aerial presence is not much needed when you have the centre backs doing their jobs well. Only reason he is back defending is from set pieces or if we are bombarded. Else he will be a forward pressing player like as can be seen when he played against Chelsea. His main attribute is he provide an outlet for direct balls from De Gea, where he wins more than 50% of the duels and keep the ball well. It is so simple, one punt upfield, chest control, release and you have bypass half the opponent team and you are attacking from their half. Way easier than passing from the back and get pressed by the opposition forwards. And more safer especially against teams like Liverpool.

Herrera is now our holding DM if Carrick is not playing, not Fellaini.
Well i am against playing it long from the back, chest controlling the ball and playing a safe pass. United are not good at breaks or counter. We are now getting to know each other and we will be good on the break only in the next season. Our best asset now is to build from the back and go from end to end on the pitch and not in the air.

dirkey

Any time you want to stop giving away dumbass fouls Marouane. Good Lord.

ManUtd1999

He was clumsy in the first 20 minutes, but since then he's been much more focused and defending well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.