Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

Ok, so... do we like this guy again, or...? Our fans just can't seem to decide. People loathed him just a few short months ago.

It's not like it's his first good spell in his 4 years here, but his limitations as a players has been obvious throughout.
I don't dislike Fellaini, just to me he isn't a top level midfielder which is what we should be aiming for. Nothing against him, yes he's not the best but his attitude and work ethic are without question. He's rarely injured too which helps.

A lot of our squad could learn from his attitude and application, if not his ability.

ChaddyP

Ok, so... do we like this guy again, or...? Our fans just can't seem to decide. People loathed him just a few short months ago.

It's not like it's his first good spell in his 4 years here, but his limitations as a players has been obvious throughout.
when he does well the people that think hes shite will post, when hes not the people that appreciate what he brings will post.

The poster that said he was an absolute donkey at the start of the Burnley threadmark hasnt posted in here since. Hes a great asset to have. And does anything asked of him and gives his all for the club. Pity the fans dont give him any love. I feel sorry for him to be honest.

el3mel

when he does well the people that think hes shite will post, when hes not the people that appreciate what he brings will post.

The poster that said he was an absolute donkey at the start of the Burnley threadmark hasnt posted in here since. Hes a great asset to have. And does anything asked of him and gives his all for the club. Pity the fans dont give him any love. I feel sorry for him to be honest.
:lol:

And this is why one should never comment on a player performance thread until the game ends :D

dirkey

To be fair, he said he was playing like an absolute donkey. And he was, for the first 20 minutes or so. He turned it around fully after that though and ended up having a good game. But early on, all he kept doing was giving away stupid fouls.

ChaddyP

To be fair, he said he was playing like an absolute donkey. And he was, for the first 20 minutes or so. He turned it around fully after that though and ended up having a good game. But early on, all he kept doing was giving away stupid fouls.
He only looks like hes playing like a donkey because hes Fellaini. he isnt judged the same way as others. But the point of my post is rarely is something negative said and then the original poster comes back and say ... feck hes no longer a donkey, hes actually rather good now.

Ashley R1+O

I notice that a few people have said "he made a lot of fouls". Three fouls. One of them was clumsy/silly, but it wasn't in any kind of dangerous area. The other two were just run of the mill general fouls. Hyperboly writing the "he made a lot of fouls" narrative after this excellent performance. When in reality having looked at the situation it really made no difference at all.

He's shown this season he can play at the 6, the 8 and the 10. Very very handy player, I hope his form continues through the back end of this season. He will be just as important as every other player in the squad that features.

ReallyUSA

He's never going to leave. Three different managers found use of him. He's been a professional when a lot of people would have went the unprofessional route. Happy for his run of form this year.

sergiosigurvinson

He gives the manager more than one option. His mental strength is fenomenal, he is so loyal, so reliable to the manager and the team.
Having a good spell depends on lots of things and all players have them as the bad ones as well.
A team is made of different types of players. Would you use 2 Messis as central defenders in your team?

Robbie Boy

He's grand but wouldn't be overly fussed if he left. He does a certain job but lacks quality but on the other hand, he gives us a different option that not a lot of players can offer.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's never going to leave. Three different managers found use of him. He's been a professional when a lot of people would have went the unprofessional route. Happy for his run of form this year.
His contract is up 2018, meaning this summer he will have 1 year left (only because we took the option too, we didn't give him a new contract) indicates to me he will be let go in the summer if the opportunity arises.

stevoc

Solid, as per. Hope he plays the same role Thursday.
City don't play with a big striker they lump balls up to all game, so not sure why you would want him to play the same role he did vs Burnley.

Against City with the quick technical players they have i hope he's as far away from our box as possible if he plays.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He only looks like hes playing like a donkey because hes Fellaini. he isnt judged the same way as others. But the point of my post is rarely is something negative said and then the original poster comes back and say ... feck hes no longer a donkey, hes actually rather good now.
Yes he is. When he's been poor, he's gotten criticism. When he's done quite well though, he's been praised aplenty. Just look at the thread right now, for example, which has a number of posters saying he's been in good form.

prath92

Yes he is. When he's been poor, he's gotten criticism. When he's done quite well though, he's been praised aplenty. Just look at the thread right now, for example, which has a number of posters saying he's been in good form.
He has been playing well most of this season yet when you see the comments after the anderlecht game first leg it is made out as if he is the sole reason we end up outside top 4 or something like that.

No other player would have that.

stevoc

Schneiderlin wanted out in January because he wasn't getting picked. Schweinsteiger was forced out because Mourinho didn't want him.

If Mourinho had decided he didn't want Fellaini last summer or over the first half of the season this he could have got rid of him and kept either of these players. He didn't because he clearly rates Fellaini.
No mate Schneiderlin wasn't playing from November onwards because he had asked to leave same reason Depay didn't even make a sub appearance after November, Mourinho confirmed that in a press conference before Xmas that once a player asks to leave he won't consider them again for selection. Schweinsteiger asked to leave and even though the window was closed he still let him go which Mourinho also confirmed last month.

Mourinho may well rate Fellaini that i am not arguing but for obvious reasons couldn't let him leave as we had no other cover for midfield. I guess we will find out this summer if Mourinho see Fellaini as part of his long term plans, he has only one left on his contract and i haven't heard much about the club looking to negotiate a new one with him.

rocks13

No mate Schneiderlin wasn't playing from November onwards because he had asked to leave same reason Depay didn't even make a sub appearance after November, Mourinho confirmed that in a press conference before Xmas that once a player asks to leave he won't consider them again for selection. Schweinsteiger asked to leave and even though the window was closed he still let him go which Mourinho also confirmed last month.

Mourinho may well rate Fellaini that i am not arguing but for obvious reasons couldn't let him leave as we had no other cover for midfield. I guess we will find out this summer if Mourinho see Fellaini as part of his long term plans, he has only one left on his contract and i haven't heard much about the club looking to negotiate a new one with him.
Why wasn't he playing before November? Fellaini was.

stevoc

Why wasn't he playing before November? Fellaini was.
No idea maybe Mourinho didn't rate him at all and of course we have no idea when Morgan actually asked to leave. He was on the bench twice and played a 5 minuted cameo at the end of november but before then he actually wasn't even making the squad for over 6 weeks from mid september. So he might have asked to leave then, who knows.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Bit of an enigma. Can do a job and then gives away a stupid free kick or penalty. No harm having him as a squad player.

rocks13

No idea maybe Mourinho didn't rate him at all and of course we have no idea when Morgan actually asked to leave. He was on the bench twice and played a 5 minuted cameo at the end of november but before then he actually wasn't even making the squad for over 6 weeks from mid september. So he might have asked to leave then, who knows.
You just said it was November.

stevoc

You just said it was November.
Read again mate i didn't, i said he wasn't playing from November i never speculated as to when he actually asked to leave.

At this point i've no idea where you are going or what point if any it is you are trying to make here mate? Care to help me out?

rocks13

Read again mate i didn't, i said he wasn't playing from November i never speculated as to when he actually asked to leave.

At this point i've no idea where you are going or what point if any it is you are trying to make here mate? Care to help me out?
My initial point was simply that our manager clearly rates Fellaini which due to the fact that he's chosen to keep him at the club, plays him all the time and has even made him captain seems fairly self-evident. I'm a little baffled as to why you seem to want to have a huge debate about it.

stevoc

My initial point was simply that our manager clearly rates Fellaini which due to the fact that he's chosen to keep him at the club, plays him all the time and has even made him captain seems fairly self-evident.
This below was part of my first reply to you, i don't remember disputing whether or not Mourinho rates Fellaini. So you had my view on that, and yet you kept the discussion going which is why i was confused as to what point you were actually trying to make.

Though he does seem to like Fellaini.
And this.
Mourinho may well rate Fellaini that i am not arguing
I'm a little baffled as to why you seem to want to have a huge debate about it.
I don't mate you kept replying and diverting the topic of conversation, first you were discussing Fellaini in the Moyes thread which is why i moved it here, then you seemed determined to discuss Schneiderlin in this thread without making any real point.

rocks13

This below was part of my first reply to you, i don't remember disputing whether or not Mourinho rates Fellaini. So you had my view on that, and yet you kept the discussion going which is why i was confused as to what point you were actually trying to make.

And this.

I don't mate you kept replying and diverting the topic of conversation, first you were discussing Fellaini in the Moyes thread which is why i moved it here, then you seemed determined to discuss Schneiderlin in this thread without making any real point.
I never really wanted to discuss Schneiderlin. I was talking about Fellaini and you rather strangely said that Mourinho has to play him because 2 other midfielders left. I'm assuming you meant Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger.

I simply mentioned him in the Moyes thread because he was signed by Moyes.

stevoc

I never really wanted to discuss Schneiderlin. I was talking about Fellaini and you rather strangely said that Mourinho has to play him because 2 other midfielders left. I'm assuming you meant Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger.

I simply mentioned him in the Moyes thread because he was signed by Moyes.
There was nothing really strange about my comment at all mate. Whether Jose rated Fellaini or not is a moot point because Fellaini was the only midfield cover available to Mourinho as the other two midfielders wanted to leave and/or were frozen out by Mourinho. That was my point.

iHicksy

I'm actually starting to become a bit of a fan of his since the Chelsea domination. Just goes to show what confidence can do to a player, and credit has to go to Jose for instilling it in him.

rocks13

There was nothing really strange about my comment at all mate. Whether Jose rated Fellaini or not is a moot point because Fellaini was the only midfield cover available to Mourinho as the other two midfielders wanted to leave and/or were frozen out by Mourinho. That was my point.
But that's simply nonsense.

Fellaini's been a regular starter since the start of the season. There's no suggestion that the other two midfielders wanted to leave at that point. Even if they did a replacement could have been bought.

stevoc

But that's simply nonsense.

Fellaini's been a regular starter since the start of the season
. There's no suggestion that the other two midfielders wanted to leave at that point. Even if they did a replacement could have been bought.
Again you don't seem to properly read other peoples posts, if you go right back to my first post in response to you i was saying he couldn't sell him in January even if he wanted to because of the situation with the other two midfielders. I made no mention of the summer window to my recollection.

So i've no idea why you are still waffling on and trying to argue with someone on a topic that they aren't even really trying to disagree with you on. You definitely are from Belfast :lol:, so am i by the way.

To be fair we sold two midfielders in the last few months. Fellaini is our only cover, Jose couldn't have sold him in January even if he had wanted to. Though he does seem to like Fellaini.

rocks13

Again you don't seem to properly read other peoples posts, if you go right back to my first post in response to you i was saying he couldn't sell him in January even if he wanted to because of the situation with the other two midfielders. I made no mention of the summer window to my recollection.

So i've no idea why you are still waffling on and trying to argue with someone on a topic that they aren't even really trying to disagree with you on. You definitely are from Belfast :lol:, so am i by the way.
I'd throw that question back to you. If my quite simple initial point was that Mourinho quite clearly rates Fellaini and you agree with that why are saying that despite rating him he only plays him (42 times so far) because he's forced to due to lack of options?

stevoc

I'd throw that question back to you. If my quite simple initial point was that Mourinho quite clearly rates Fellaini and you agree with that why are saying that despite rating him he only plays him (42 times so far) because he's forced to due to lack of options?
Because as i've said from from January it's been true and thats all i have said. You still seem to have a problem accepting that though.

I'll quote you from earlier mate
I'm a little baffled as to why you seem to want to have a huge debate about it.
and ask you to re-evaluate who has kept this now very tedious conversation going.

rocks13

Because as i've said from from January it's been true and thats all i have said. You still seem to have a problem accepting that though.

I'll quote you from earlier mate and ask you to re-evaluate who has kept this now very tedious conversation going.
But what's your point? He was playing regularly before January.

Do you believe Pogba's only been playing due to lack of options since January?

stevoc

But what's your point? He was playing regularly before January.
Seriously mate come on how is this conversation still going on i've explained my point several times?

Ok i'll condsense it down for you.

You said:
He uses him a lot. He's had 2 transfer windows to get rid of him if he didn't rate him.
And i said:
To be fair we sold two midfielders in the last few months. Fellaini is our only cover, Jose couldn't have sold him in January even if he had wanted to. Though he does seem to like Fellaini.
There was my point right there in my first reply to you, he couldn't sell him in January even if he wanted to as we had no other cover. That was it, there case closed, lets move along shall we.

rocks13

Seriously mate come on how is this conversation still going on i've explained my point several times?

Ok i'll condsense it down for you.

You said:

And i said:

There was my point right there in my first reply to you, he couldn't sell him in January even if he wanted to as we had no other cover. That was it, there case closed, lets move along shall we.
But why would you even think that there was any intention of selling someone who's been a first team regular since the start of the season and who the manager clearly rates in January? Seems a strange thing to say.

ManUtd1999

But why would you even think that there was any intention of selling someone who's been a first team regular since the start of the season and who the manager clearly rates in January? Seems a strange thing to say.
Yes, Fellaini is here because Mourinho wants him to be here. In August, Mourinho said "Marouane is a special guy for us in our defensive work". Also in August: "Because I told him just simply, 'Forget everything you read, forget everything, with me you don't leave for sure.' "

This was Mourinho's position from the very beginning. Will he change his mind this summer or next summer? Maybe, but Fellaini is still here because Mourinho wants him not because others have left in January.

At this stage of the season, we have goals to achieve and we have injuries to deal with. Rashford, Martial, Fellaini, Lingard, Darmian... everyone should contribute. We can then figure out the rest (who's staying and who's leaving/coming) in the summer.

stevoc

Mate i honestly don't know if you are on a wind up at this point, how did you even get that from my post? I literally just explained my point for the 2nd or 3rd time and yet you still seem to miss it, do i really have to explain it again?

Ok here goes, you were saying Mourinho really rates Fellaini because he didn't sell him in 2 transfer windows. I simply said to be fair he couldn't have sold him in January even if he wanted to for reasons that have now been discussed at great length. Thats it end of discussion normally, i wasn't implying anything else beyond that. How that has spawned the now 237 posts in this conversation i will never know.

Crashoutcassius

I really wish the people that said he was a championship at best player would come back in and argue the same now. Why don't they? I argued that he was a useful squad player when he was playing badly, and so did many others, so what is stopping the people that don't think he should be a professional from posting now?

Philadelphian

I really wish the people that said he was a championship at best player would come back in and argue the same now. Why don't they? I argued that he was a useful squad player when he was playing badly, and so did many others, so what is stopping the people that don't think he should be a professional from posting now?
I never went as far as Championship level, but have called him everything from an "industrial toilet brush" to a "donkey" to a "midtable player at best." And yea I don't really regret saying any of that after a few good performances. Happy he's contributing of course but still see quite clearly that, on average, he's just a silly wild card to throw at someone and see if they can handle it, and not anything that's enjoyable to watch.

Now we've got plenty saying it doesn't matter if Pogba is out against City because this guy will play. Give me a break.

I know I'll get crushed for this...but it's just my opinion on a message board, which doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of anything.

Crashoutcassius

I never went as far as Championship level, but have called him everything from an "industrial toilet brush" to a "donkey" to a "midtable player at best." And yea I don't really regret saying any of that after a few good performances. Happy he's contributing of course but still see quite clearly that, on average, he's just a silly wild card to throw at someone and see if they can handle it, and not anything that's enjoyable to watch.

Now we've got plenty saying it doesn't matter if Pogba is out against City because this guy will play. Give me a break.

I know I'll get crushed for this...but it's just my opinion on a message board, which doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of anything.
Fairplay for saying it when he's in good form at least. And you're right, saying we won't miss pogba is a bit rich

dirkey

I pretty much agree with this. Average player I've called him many a time, and that we should aspire for better, even as squad members. I stand by it. Have seen flashes of decent performances at times from him, but ultimately he'll usually go back to a lower level. Hopefully this time will be different. Hated seeing him booed that time.

Philadelphian

I pretty much agree with this. Average player I've called him many a time, and that we should aspire for better, even as squad members. I stand by it. Have seen flashes of decent performances at times from him, but ultimately he'll usually go back to a lower level. Hopefully this time will be different. Hated seeing him booed that time.
Yea, despite my own lack of perspective with the way I criticize people on message boards, I can't imagine myself ever booing one of our own at a game. That didn't sit well at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.