Martial has got to remain at United | No, he hasn't been unfollowing United players on Instagram

Treble

People may point out all the weaknesses in Martial's game but there is a definite danger that Jose commits another Salah mistake.

Akshay

Staff
It really is obvious for people who watch almost all top leagues in the weekends, what Martial can do with a ball Lukaku can only dream of, hes a good goalscorer and has some force about him but thats it.Strikers need to be more then goalscorers now a days, just look at all the top teams, not one of them have someone as limited as lukaku.
Martial is much better at dribbling the ball than Lukaku, there's no question about that. However to say Lukaku has nothing to his game except scoring goals, or is a very limited player, is also just plain wrong.

Or maybe the coach need to give him instructions? teach him the simple thing like pressing, nurture him like a top manager should to get the best of said players abillity.
And maybe the coach has given him those instructions, and he has not followed them? It's quite odd how some fans are simply unwilling to portion any part of the blame to Martial. When a player underperforms and doesn't show the motivation to carry out the basics, then both coach and player are at fault. It's never just one or the other.

Smores

Nonsense, Giggs, Beckham, Sharpe, Kanchelskis all worked their asses off defending.

Martial need to be a damn site closer to Ronaldo with his output before we can relieve him of those duties.
Its not even like Martial is being asked to play as a defensive winger anyway. Some seem to be blinkered in that they see Martial in our half and assume he's asked to be a left back but thats just standard tracking that even Salah, Sterling and Sane do so their team doesn't get outnumbered. It's a myth thats only formed as an excuse for Martial.

Did these same people think Sir Alex was asking Rooney to be a defensive mid :wenger:

Milkman007

Treated like shite? Some competition was introduced to the squad to encourage players to kick on and develop and he’s responded by throwing his toys out of be pram.

We wouldn’t have even been sniffing around Sanchez if he was developing and playing well and the second we signed him, he’s gone MIA. Rashford on the other hand has accepted the challenge and is constantly knocking on Sanchez’s door for the left wing position.
Constantly knocking, are you for real? How has he been knocking on the door? If i'm not wrong Rashford has scored 2 goals since Sanchez signed, wouldn't call that knocking.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Or maybe the coach need to give him instructions? teach him the simple thing like pressing, nurture him like a top manager should to get the best of said players abillity.
No in fact, a top manager uses the correct profile of player (remember when Valencia used to play over Nani?). Martial's pressing is poor due to his engine which cannot be coached, the same can be said for his defensive cover. It's virtually impossible to coach a pure forward into a midfielder, that's something that's worked on in youth football.

These are problems that have persisted since his youth days, when he was in youth football he also struggled with the defensive aspects of the game and his work rate was poor. That's just the type of player he is, LVG saw it and played him as the focal point of the attack instead of trying to turn him into a player he wasn't. The problem then arose that we didn't score enough goals because the focal point of our attack wasn't prolific enough.

Martial is a pure forward, no one can coach him into a no.10/playmaker like Hazard or Di Maria. It's impossible at this stage in his development.

vangagal

Its not even like Martial is being asked to play as a defensive winger anyway. Some seem to be blinkered in that they see Martial in our half and assume he's asked to be a left back but thats just standard tracking that even Salah, Sterling and Sane do so their team doesn't get outnumbered. It's a myth thats only formed as an excuse for Martial.

Did these same people think Sir Alex was asking Rooney to be a defensive mid :wenger:
Fergie did play Rooney as central mid though. Remember people hail Rooney as new Scholes?

reddevil702

It really is obvious for people who watch almost all top leagues in the weekends, what Martial can do with a ball Lukaku can only dream of, hes a good goalscorer and has some force about him but thats it.Strikers need to be more then goalscorers now a days, just look at all the top teams, not one of them have someone as limited as lukaku.
Lukaku may not have the flair Martial does when dribbling but he just as effective and surprisingly a much better crosser. In what way is Lukaku limited? I find it very doubtful that anyone who understand the game would prefer Martial over Rom right now.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I was wondering if Jose had him in mind when he said we won't be spending too lavishly as we are banking on some internal development and want to give our younger players the full opportunity to fulfill their potential or if he was just hinting at Rashford, Pereira, McTominay, TFM and Tuanzebe.

Not buying heavily in defense would make sense as TFM and Tuanzebe deserve playing time now, he's obviously said we are investing in midfield with Fellaini and Carrick leaving and he's denied that he wants to add to the attack. May be Sanchez was bought after Griezmann confirmed he's going to Barcelona instead.
Just the ones you mentioned, I reckon. Martial will come under the category of wanting to leave due to not enough game time or whatever. In our last five games he's only got minutes in the two least important games and was an unused sub for the other three. We don't need him anymore as we won the three games without him.

I do think Pereira will want to leave for the same reason though (won't play as much here as he would in Spain) and Tuanzebe will likely go out on loan again.

Loublaze

ATLien
People may point out all the weaknesses in Martial's game but there is a definite danger that Jose commits another Salah mistake.
Was just having this conversation with a friend of mine a few minutes ago. De Bruyne too

edgar allan

Lukaku may not have the flair Martial does when dribbling but he just as effective and surprisingly a much better crosser. In what way is Lukaku limited? I find it very doubtful that anyone who understand the game would prefer Martial over Rom right now.
In any attacking system it shouldn't be an either or.

manunited1919

Just have a feeling he is gone. We will regret this big time long after Mourinho is done with United. This team should have been built on Martial and Rashford, with complimentary players providing ammunition for them.
It’s very difficult to build teams around young players while at the same time producing trophies and getting top 4 consistently. Its like if Chelsea had held on to Salah, Lukaku & KDB, Chelsea would have won less silverware, and perhaps also the 3 players would not have been able to develop.

Kearnkoff69

We fecking get it, bore off for God's sake.

It doesn't need repeating 5 times on every fecking page, tedious as feck. Martial could just as easily go on to be the next Cuadrado, Juan Mata, Schurle.
Cheers for the wonderful call out, mate. I don't come on here often so it's partially my fault for not trawling through the last 5-10 pages of this thread, otherwise I would have seen that every other poster is either making the same point or posting about how they're sick and tired of hearing the "Lukaku, De Bruyne, Salah" argument.

PepsiCola

Did you see what Salah did last night to Roma?

In a few years time Martial will be doing the same in Europe, for another club.

Saw it in my crystal ball.

crossy1686

career ending
Constantly knocking, are you for real? How has he been knocking on the door? If i'm not wrong Rashford has scored 2 goals since Sanchez signed, wouldn't call that knocking.
Who gets game time on the left when Sanchez comes off? Most of the time it's Rashford. Do you really think he'd be getting a game if he wasn't putting in shifts in training? Or working hard for the team when he comes on? If you think this is just some sort of favouritism you're wrong. You get what you put in and right now, Martial is not putting in.

Cheers for the wonderful call out, mate. I don't come on here often so it's partially my fault for not trawling through the last 5-10 pages of this thread, otherwise I would have seen that every other poster is either making the same point or posting about how they're sick and tired of hearing the "Lukaku, De Bruyne, Salah" argument.
@Kearnkoff69... food for thought, KDB and Salah have already been mentioned on this page alone 4 fecking times (not including your post above).

It's hilarious how desperate you all are to make a point every single United fan and no doubt Mourinho himself is aware of. Martial has potential to be a cracking player.

crossy1686

career ending
Done with you. Enjoy Mourinho while he lasts.
Yeah, I'm gutted about these cup finals and year on year improvement. Don't know what to do with myself to be honest. Guess I'll just be over here supporting Manchester United while you're supporting Martial, the boy that can do no wrong and deserves to be the first name on the team sheet if it wasn't for Jose's bias.

The_Order

It is quite funny how the fans who are blindfolded by an overwhelming love for Jose are trying to convince others that this isn't a mistake waiting to happen & a mistake that has happened previously.

@OldSchoolManc @Regulus Arcturus Black @vangagal and plenty plenty more..

This isn't about Martial just being some youngster the age of Lukaku, Salah & De bryune - there is plenty of youngsters who go through these problems everyday.

However De bryune, Salah, Lukaku were sold because of Jose's tactical incapacity to build a functional team with a core gameplan.

1)I remember when Jose was asking Salah to do more defensive work on the right & to track back. :rolleyes: sounds awfully familiar doesn't it? How did that get the best out of Salah never mind if he was a baby - he wasn't going to get the best out of a player who is suited to playing a high pressures forwards role to attack the space in between the RB and the RCB with pace. Kl0pp has built a team that has a style of play & a game plan that their squad knows off by heart.

2) same thing happened with de bryune; Hazard was given an almost individualistic role to play on the left; Oscar was preferred to de bryune centrally due to the more defensive work Oscar did & de bryune went to the right hand side & was asked to do a crazy amount of defensive work which is not the way to get the best out of him - you play him centrally in between the opponent defense & midfield with the team around him & he has done wonders as a hybrid AM/Cm under Pep. Again a team who knows their game plan inside out as well as the rest of the league.

Lukaku - asked to go to the right wing because Jose won't look at his squad & dream about being flexible playing a dual striker plan - instead standard 451 or a similar alternative & Lukaku gets put into the right.

Now - Martial - he is a forward who plays centrally, is able to take on the central defenders face on with the ball to feet with the ability to shift the ball left or right in to the channels. He is a player that is suited to a team that has a core game plan that gets the best out of him as well as the rest of the team. Off the top of my head; Martial would be almost a near perfect partner to play off of Lukaku on the left channel whilst Romelu plays on the right channel - the latter being better there than centrally. They could literally bounce the ball each other whilst taking on the defence. Martial & the way he dribbles is suited to create space on the sides if we ever decide to play false 9 too. Absolutely none of these tactics are going to happen under Jose because the guy is inflexible. He hasn't built an understanding of how the game should be played. Selling Martial because he isn't useful for Jose is a mistake - if the next manager who is open to getting the best out of his squad deems Martial to not be good enough - I will drive him off from old Trafford himself.

However, Jose has not managed to get the best out of his own players like Lukaku (better RF than St) Pogba (needs to be allowed more time on the ball on the ground & that is not just sorted by adding in another midfielder), Lindelof (blind is better), Bailey (Rash as Smalling in defence needs a calm head around him) etc.
Your logic and common sense are no good here.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yet a lot of them are reportedly interested
That doesn't mean hel be a star player for them, or a regular starter any more than what he's been at United. Check out Turan, Dennis Suarez, Renato Sanchez, Andre Gomes, Douglas Costa for examples across the two reportedly big clubs keen (Bayern and Barcelona).

snk123

Then it's a myth that Martial doesn't work hard enough because from what I see, he's continuously tracking back to stay with his fullback.

Water Melon

When did Martial not bother to track back? When did he play a free role without any defensive responsibility?

The_Order

Then it's a myth that Martial doesn't work hard enough because from what I see, he's continuously tracking back to stay with his fullback.
has he ever been responsible for a goal being conceded because he lost his man?

Genuine question

Kearnkoff69

@Kearnkoff69... food for thought, KDB and Salah have already been mentioned on this page alone 4 fecking times (not including your post above).

It's hilarious how desperate you all are to make a point every single United fan and no doubt Mourinho himself is aware of. Martial has potential to be a cracking player.
As I said mate, I take partial responsibility for not reading this thread in depth - I like to look for the usernames I generally *edit: equate, not acquaint, because English* with quality posts and then skim the rest.

If I may get a bit "meta," is this thread not doomed to be an endless cycle of people screaming "De Bruyne! Salah! Lukaku!" and other people screaming back about how the point has been made a thousand times? I mean if we want to talk about Mou's transfer policy, that's really a conversation that's going on with broader parameters and therefore producing more illuminating discussion in the "Jose Mourinho performances" thread.

This thread seems to exist solely to provide an endless feedback loop of "look at Mou's bad track record with young players with high potential" vs. everyone else saying "is that the only argument you have?" while not actually contributing with their own argument, because the the thread necessarily limits the conversation to that very narrow topic. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

LoneStar

I'm actually surprised by the amount of fans that are happy for him to go. Is it because you think he's 100% gone and are trying to save face?
I don't think anyone is happy for him to go. But if we buy a better RW in the process, I don't really mind if he leaves.

No one is trying to save face. If he decided to leave, there is nothing anyone can do about it. And he's not prime Messi or Ronaldo to get upset about.

JK-27

if you want your answer who is a better player between Lukaku and Martial, just ask any neutral or supporter of Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea Arsenal or Tottenham who they would want in their team, the unanimous answer will be Martial. Not everyone is blind not to see the amazing potential this guy has which is waiting to explode under right manager.
I agree that Jose has his distinct style in which Lukaku is more suitable, but it should not come at a cost of future of Utd.
You have amazing abilities if you can answer for close to a million people. What are you doing on here with such wonderful talents? Surely you should have a show in Vegas where you're raking in money as you read the minds of the audience to their astonishment, because clearly you know what everyone will say.

Bratt

You have amazing abilities if you can answer for close to a million people. What are you doing on here with such wonderful talents? Surely you should have a show in Vegas where you're raking in money as you read the minds of the audience to their astonishment, because clearly you know what everyone will say.
And you should be a math teacher.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It doesn't matter if you see Martial 'continuously tracking back to stay with his fullback'. When you actually look at defensive contributions, its a completely different story.

Martial does not win many tackles and virtually never makes an interception. Those two things are vital for a counter attacking team as it creates a turnover of possession and the opposition team are out of position.

Martial and Rashford do not contribute enough to winning the ball back and that is why the manager said that the 'balance' of the team is not right with both of them. They only think of one dimension of the game.

Tackles + interceptions (per 90 mins):

Martial (1.04)
Rashford (1.02)
Sanchez (2.55)
Lingard (1.61)
Mata (1.44)

edgar allan

It doesn't matter if you see Martial 'continuously tracking back to stay with his fullback'. When you actually look at defensive contributions, its a completely different story.

Martial does not win many tackles and virtually never makes an interception. Those two things are vital for a counter attacking team as it creates a turnover of possession and the opposition team are out of position.

Martial and Rashford do not contribute enough to winning the ball back and that is why the manager said that the 'balance' of the team is not right with both of them. They only think of one dimension of the game.

Tackles + interceptions (per 90 mins):

Martial (1.04)
Rashford (1.02)
Sanchez (2.55)
Lingard (1.61)
Mata (1.44)
I wonder is Sanchez's figures so high in part due to tackling after giving the ball away so often?