Martial has got to remain at United | No, he hasn't been unfollowing United players on Instagram

Swift Football

yes, i think it was a dig at Rashford. Jose was fuming when he didn't make that pass to Martial and rightfully so.
I also think that dig was more aimed at Rashford than Martial. I have heard from many pundits/press over last 2 months asking why Rashford does not lead the line, maybe Jose has those in his mind.

haram

The whole team is incapable of stringing a few passes together and utilizing space. This becomes a coaching issue rather than a personnel one. People can keep going on and on about Mourinho's achievements, where is the actual team structure? If Pogba isn't playing well, the whole team plays terrible as he's the only one who has some sort of ability to structure a proper offense from the midfield with his short and long range passing. The issue is he's too inconsistent, and when he isn't on form the team looks completely devoid of ideas. Ultimately, that falls on Mourinho. Martial is an easy scapegoat for many, but the blame rests on the coach. To expect Martial to pull a miracle out of his arse to rescue a point for his team and to blame him for failing to do so with the starting opportunity he's gotten today is very short-sighted. They were all terrible, but at least Martial looked as if he was trying to make something happen. He does need to fight more when he loses the ball, that criticism is warranted, but he brought more than he took away as opposed to many of his teammates out there tonight.
I don't think it's about blaming Martial. Some people just overrate him.

Jamie Shawcross

Im not gonna dress my point up here, I want Martial gone in the summer. The sooner the better. His attitude and work rate stinks. You play for Manchester United, you feel privileged and you give your all otherwise, cheerio. The lad does not look happy or like he wants to be here. I will not be remotely gutted when he is sold.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
The Tevez situation here showed that you can't give talented players stop/start opportunities and expect class results.

Tevez was unfairly dropped for Berbatov and was given too few opportunities to get back into the side. He then went to city and showed he was world class like we all knew.

I see the same with Martial. He's proven he's class and needs opportunities consistently. Sporadic starts with non starters isn't the best way to show how good he is.

Even players as good and as mentally tough as Tevez try too hard or are afraid to make mistakes with limited playing time.

tjb

Martial is talented, however he is not talented enough for the stress he causes. He would not be starting at any top club imo(unless you count arsenal as one). Sure it would be nice if he became a world beater with us, but lets not act like he is a guarantee. We have had a habit of bringing in relatively unknown figures for sizable fees who have shown a small sample size of talent, and this has led to a lot of inconsistent, and some rather unimpressive talents coming here and doing nothing. How good was he at monaco? How long was he good for at monaco? If he wasnt an outstanding prospect at monaco, why are fans so sure he will become great? Because even his first season wasn't fantastic if i am being honest. He was replaced be rashford as the main striker by the end of the season, and was the star of a mediocre team, a team that when u look at the talent at the time, look more like everton than man utd. Since then he's done nothing. If he had been so effective, people would not have been crying out as much as they were for an additional attacker. Lukaku would not be limited to leas that 2 shots a game. I legitimately believe that evertons attackers that supported lukaku were better and more consistent than the ones we had to start the season, chance creation proves this. And for people who would blame mourinho for this, not only has he had previously more creative sides, but utd have been this way way before his arrival. Similar players, different managers, i wonder where the problem lies?

cyril C

The Tevez situation here showed that you can't give talented players stop/start opportunities and expect class results.

Tevez was unfairly dropped for Berbatov and was given too few opportunities to get back into the side. He then went to city and showed he was world class like we all knew.

I see the same with Martial. He's proven he's class and needs opportunities consistently. Sporadic starts with non starters isn't the best way to show how good he is.

Even players as good and as mentally tough as Tevez try too hard or are afraid to make mistakes with limited playing time.
Good. So you expect Darmian to start week in week out including FA final, such that he can become a better player? Fringe players are expected to train hard week in week out, and take their chance when available, like what Evra did to Heinz when his moment came. 18-19 years old player might get some patience from manager but not 20+, let alone 25+. Lack of game time might affect a player's form to last full 90min, but not on his attitude and decision making. If you want to learn your game at the expense of your club, go out on loan.

Roeindo

People want him gone. But theres no guarantee other talented player will flourish under this current regime.

All of our talented player suddenly become poor and terrible at decision making and reached the level of Fellaini skill.

This current team is coached to defend not attack. And still seeing Fellaini in the starting line up explain it all.

FrenchRed

The sad thing is, he has been one the best today...
You didn’t see the same game I did then. He was totally uninterested, showed zero off the ball movement, was wasteful and constantly failed at even the most basic passing. He looked like he was already gone.

The one thing he did do was get the ball, run at everyone in front of him, even if it was the whole Brighton team, and easily give the ball away.

I’d ship him out ASAP.

Akshay

Staff

Except Tevez always gave his all, even when he was starting from the bench. He came on many times with minutes to go and scored crucial winners, or came on earlier and completely changed the complexion of a match. He did just fine with his 'stop/start opportunities'. It was pretty obvious to all the fans how good he was, and Tevez wanted to stay too, we just didn't want to meet his agent's demands.

I actually don't see any parallel with Martial at all.

GM K

Doesn't Rashford lack even more at that position?
I have said it for two seasons, Rashford is not a number nine. He is a wide forward. Having said that, he needs to drastically improve his decision making and work hard on his all round game. He had a woeful performance yesterday.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
This thread annoys me so much , Jose Mourinho is probably not the right man for the job but the thing that I want gone even before Jose is this business of United fans worshipping players . No set of fans overrates it's players as much as we do . The obsession with the names is the reason we feel happy in August only to realise by October that its all the same old rubbish. In a market where Coutinho and Dembele are going for 100+ million you will be surprised by how we won't get anything decent for this guy

GM K

Let’s be honest. The talent is there and his ability with the ball is top notch but he lacks football intelligence his mentality is questionable. That’s the brutal truth. Unfortunately.

I’m not sure United and the PL is the right place for a player like him. I think Serie A suits him better. Maybe it’s better for all involved that he moves on. Real sad to say this. I had high hopes when I first saw him playing for us.
I could have written this. Spot on.
Only thing I would have added is the word attitude but maybe that's what you had in mind when you pointed out his mentality.
There is just something off about his attitude.

Janson

Would add Rashford to the deal as well. One is clearly talented but lazy, another one not so much talent but has physical attributes. Neither of them contribute much to the team.
At least Rashford is ready to remain on the bench and fight for a place going forward, I don't see why we should get rid of him at this point.

Gordon S

The tone of the thread changes after every game. Last week he had a good sub apperance, in a game we won, which meant he should stay, obviously. Now he was ”meh” in a game we lost, and now we should throw him out, head first.

He was one of the few players that tried to make something happen, it just didn’t happen this time.

SteveW

That was an awful team performance. As Neville said in commentary Martial was our only player who looked dangerous all night. Even that's not saying much. He was a 6 in a team of 4s

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Absurd if we actually want him to leave. If today’s match was reason for him to get sold, then we need to be selling 8 other players from today’s game too.

SteveW

The whole team is incapable of stringing a few passes together and utilizing space. This becomes a coaching issue rather than a personnel one. People can keep going on and on about Mourinho's achievements, where is the actual team structure? If Pogba isn't playing well, the whole team plays terrible as he's the only one who has some sort of ability to structure a proper offense from the midfield with his short and long range passing. The issue is he's too inconsistent, and when he isn't on form the team looks completely devoid of ideas. Ultimately, that falls on Mourinho. Martial is an easy scapegoat for many, but the blame rests on the coach. To expect Martial to pull a miracle out of his arse to rescue a point for his team and to blame him for failing to do so with the starting opportunity he's gotten today is very short-sighted. They were all terrible, but at least Martial looked as if he was trying to make something happen. He does need to fight more when he loses the ball, that criticism is warranted, but he brought more than he took away as opposed to many of his teammates out there tonight.
This is 100% correct. It was a team of zombie passers last night. The attackers rarely got quick enough service to do anything much at all. Typically Pogba and Martial get singled out but at least they were trying to play some football. The rest were just a big collective shrug of the shoulders.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The thing is, if the team was clicking together and Martial was a weight dragging it down, I would understand completely the reactions by some here, but that's simply not the case. This is a player that was positive and had an impact coming off the bench, then as a starter he took Rashford's spot, and now with Sanchez coming he has been relegated back to the bench, with Sanchez being wildly inconsistent himself, a trait shared by the entire team. When the team is playing well, Martial has more opportunities to create danger. This game, he was essentially seeing very little of the ball, put in some good corners, a couple of dangerous flicks, and was denied a great chance at scoring a goal by Rashford's decision-making. However, he is often the scapegoat for every bad team performance when he is often one of the few to try to create danger. His recovery of lost balls is awful, granted, but that's not enough to justify losing the positives he's capable of bringing that other players don't have in their locker.

SpyLuke10

Talk about a knee jerk reaction, Martial has one poor game and he must be dropped again? Meanwhile Sanchez can be shite for months, Lingard can be shite for months, still not dropped. Grow a fecking brain some of you lot. If Martial left us he'd have a line up top clubs like Bayern and Juventus all desperate to sign him. They know how good he is and can be, we know how good he is and can be.

And then he'd go to a team like Juventus or Bayern, be one of their best players and people would be talking about Real Madrid and Barcelona trying to sign him for 200 million in the same vein as Dybala or Ribery a few years back.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Talk about a knee jerk reaction, Martial has one poor game and he must be dropped again? Meanwhile Sanchez can be shite for months, Lingard can be shite for months, still not dropped. Grow a fecking brain some of you lot. If Martial left us he'd have a line up top clubs like Bayern and Juventus all desperate to sign him. They know how good he is and can be, we know how good he is and can be.

And then he'd go to a team like Juventus or Bayern, be one of their best players and people would be talking about Real Madrid and Barcelona trying to sign him for 200 million in the same vein as Dybala or Ribery a few years back.
If I was told the only way Martial would stay at United was if we released Sanchez from his contract and said "bye bye", I'd do it without a second thought. I was way more excited about the future of this football club before we signed Sanchez. I wouldn't swap Martial for any other "young talent" in world football. Not Mbappe, not Dembele, not Asensio, not Sane.

PLEASE JOSE! PLAY THE LAD! THE LUKAKU-MARTIAL STRIKE PARTNERSHIP IS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD!
Yeah well.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
yes, i think it was a dig at Rashford. Jose was fuming when he didn't make that pass to Martial and rightfully so.
I've watched that again and again.
Cant fathom his thoughts.
Martial had a good position.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
So poor but have a bad feeling that if we sold him he'd come good for another team.
He's not doing it here. It doesn't really matter if he does well somewhere else.
He seems like a player that needs a different manager and system.
Jose is going nowhere.

wolvored

Think you are being way too optimistic there. Im not advocating he should leave, but he has had quite a few shit games

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Why can't people accept that young, especially attacking players of that age are inconsistent and thus have to be rotated? The likes of Asensio are rotated at Real Madrid. Even Coman at Bayern. Pep even rotates his too. But in England its treated as a crime to rotate players as young as Rashford and Martial just because of their talent. Its dumb!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The thing is, if the team was clicking together and Martial was a weight dragging it down, I would understand completely the reactions by some here, but that's simply not the case. This is a player that was positive and had an impact coming off the bench, then as a starter he took Rashford's spot, and now with Sanchez coming he has been relegated back to the bench, with Sanchez being wildly inconsistent himself, a trait shared by the entire team. When the team is playing well, Martial has more opportunities to create danger. This game, he was essentially seeing very little of the ball, put in some good corners, a couple of dangerous flicks, and was denied a great chance at scoring a goal by Rashford's decision-making. However, he is often the scapegoat for every bad team performance when he is often one of the few to try to create danger. His recovery of lost balls is awful, granted, but that's not enough to justify losing the positives he's capable of bringing that other players don't have in their locker.
It's the manner in which he goes about his game. It's like he wants to slow down the whole rythm of the game to do something himself instead of playing for the team. Maybe that's why he was so good in the first season because it was all about him.

But now he strolls around the pitch and his idea of movement is to run up to the player on the ball and ask for it. He just doesn't seem intelligent to me. If I was on the pitch with him I'd want to shake the guy and tell him to wake up. There's just no intensity to his game, no fight. If he loses the ball he just strolls back. He just doesn't get it at all. And what's worse, it would be such an easy thing to pick up. But in the end he's a player that wants to play at his own speed and because of that he affects games in spurts. You can't do that here.

Last edited:
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
What Im finding laughable is the extreme views being taken over on darn game. People, Martial, Mata and Rashford had A game in which they were ineffective in spite of their best efforts. It does happen and that is why top level sport is a squad game. Its rare everyone will have a great game when they play. We should move on. The same line up could easily start the next game and win 3 nil with a goal each from those same 3 players and a master class display. It doesnt help that these last games of the season in the league are largely dead rubbers.

JoaquinJoaquin

Said all season his ceiling is Nani and that might even be an over exaggeration. Just does himself no favours when he starts games. Simple fact is, we cannot afford to carry passengers and with him and Rashford it feels like we carry 2 on a regular basis. They are playing well in 1 out of 3 or 4 games which just isn't good enough for a club of this standard. I'd give Martial one more season but that would be it if he doesn't improve. I certainly wouldn't be giving him a bumper new contract. We should of learned our lesson about over paying players, as we then can't get rid because teams don't want to pay the huge wages we do.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
What Im finding laughable is the extreme views being taken over on darn game. People, Martial, Mata and Rashford had A game in which they were ineffective in spite of their best efforts. It does happen and that is why top level sport is a squad game. Its rare everyone will have a great game when they play. We should move on. The same line up could easily start the next game and win 3 nil with a goal each from those same 3 players and a master class display. It doesnt help that these last games of the season in the league are largely dead rubbers.
It was more the case that last night absolutely hammered home some of the issues that have been there for two years with these players. It's not based on one performance. In Martials case, he's not reached the level of application he showed in the first season. That is because of his attitude in my opinion and the way he now views himself as a player.

You'll point to his stats which were largely inflated earlier in the season when he rotated with Rashford. But what kept happening there was he managed to score or assist from the bench but when he started the next game he tanked, with Rashford then scoring from the bench when the game was won. I'm sure he sees himself as a starter for United, but his last good game from the start was God knows when. Perhaps Burnley away at the end of last season.

Martial needs to change so much to even get back to where he was in the first season and unfortunately I just don't see it coming. I hope I'm wrong because I felt like he was going to be a great player, but I think he'll be gone this summer anyway and I'd no longer complain if he is. That's damning in itself at how far he's fallen in my estimation. But I'd quite happily see him go to be replaced in the next couple of years with somebody like Sancho.

Treble

Spot on. The tendency to overgeneralise on the basis of one or several games is what makes football forums a stupid place at times.

Sterling was looking completely lost 2 years ago. He is still missing big chances but has contributed 30 league goals this season without taking any set pieces. Is he more talented than Martial and Rashford? I doubt it.

JoaquinJoaquin

Spot on. The tendency to overgeneralise on the basis of one or several games is what makes football forums a stupid place at times.

Sterling was looking completely lost 2 years ago. He is still missing big chances but has contributed 30 league goals this season without taking any set pieces. Is he more talented than Martial and Rashford? I doubt it.
In Sterling's case I think it's more of a purple patch in that he is having the season of his life this year, I'd be surprised if he hits the same heights next season. Can you honestly see Martial having a similar type season to the one Sterling is having this season? I just can't. He is far too inconsistent and seems to have mentality issues aswell which he let's affect him.

Treble

In Sterling's case I think it's more of a purple patch in that he is having the season of his life this year, I'd be surprised if he hits the same heights next season. Can you honestly see Martial having a similar type season to the one Sterling is having this season? I just can't. He is far too inconsistent and seems to have mentality issues aswell which he let's affect him.
I thought exactly the same of Sterling and was sure that Guardiola would ditch him. Sterling looked mentally fragile and was terrible for England in Euro '16. Thought his career at City was finished. And I'm sure I'm not the only one to have such thoughts back then.

JoaquinJoaquin

I thought exactly the same of Sterling and was sure that Guardiola would ditch him. Sterling looked mentally fragile and was terrible for England in Euro '16. Thought his career at City was finished. And I'm sure I'm not the only one to have such thoughts back then.
Hey, I really want you to be right and hope you are, as we do need Martial to really hit the ground running next season. It's make or break for him and if he has any sort of fight in him he should be aware of that to.

JohnnyKills

Im not gonna dress my point up here, I want Martial gone in the summer. The sooner the better. His attitude and work rate stinks. You play for Manchester United, you feel privileged and you give your all otherwise, cheerio. The lad does not look happy or like he wants to be here. I will not be remotely gutted when he is sold.
So if he smiled more and kissed his badge when he scored you'd want to keep him?

SpyLuke10

Hey, I really want you to be right and hope you are, as we do need Martial to really hit the ground running next season. It's make or break for him and if he has any sort of fight in him he should be aware of that to.
He hit the ground running this season and that didn't end up doing much for him anyway, he got benched as soon as the opportunity came to bench him again (January transfer window).

The_Order

The Jose sect has made peace with the fact that Martial will leave and will be successful elsewhere, but are in denial as to reasons why. He must be crap, overrated, sulky, not hardworking enough and every game where he doesn't shine further confirms that bias.

Imagine watching that shite last night and laying the blame at the feet of Martial? thats how far gone this lot are.

Why can't people accept that young, especially attacking players of that age are inconsistent and thus have to be rotated? The likes of Asensio are rotated at Real Madrid. Even Coman at Bayern. Pep even rotates his too. But in England its treated as a crime to rotate players as young as Rashford and Martial just because of their talent. Its dumb!
Because this is too much common sense Chief.

Both Martial and Rashford are getting the minutes their performances deserve, simples. At this stage of their careers I don’t see the issue at all.