Martin Ødegaard | Arsenal player

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
YES. Now let me tell you all about that time I reenacted the Bergkamp goal in a futsal game. It was actually even better because I made the ball go over the defender(who was like 2.10 meters tall!) instead of around and then I humilated the goalkeeper too by scoring between his legs. It was a game winning goal too! Truly the greatest moment in futsal history
And then your mother shouted 'wake up Giorno, time for school' :D

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Said it before but he's everything for Arsenal that Ozil should've been.

Slightly different positions of course but ultimately all the play in the final third goes through him at some stage.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And then your mother shouted 'wake up Giorno, time for school' :D
Nah, i may have exaggerated the defender's height(:D), but the rest is true enough. Honestly first touch rainbow flick over the defender when the ball's rolling towards you and the defender is running towards the ball isn't all that hard to do, and I was lucky the shot went through the keeper's legs tbf, I did not aim for that :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Slightly different positions of course but ultimately all the play in the final third goes through him at some stage.
Very different player to Ozil though, if they expected Ozil to play like this then they signed the wrong player

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I can't believe he moved clubs, and not to us, when we had Ole as manager. Was he (Ole) not asked of that at The Overlap?

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
We already had Bruno when he joined Arsenal, no?
We had, but still.

They even loaned at first, they got to test drive him.

As a Norwegian it pisses me off Haaland and Ødegaard both moved clubs when we had Ole. Haaland's not on Ole though, that's the clubs fault.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
We had, but still.

As a Norwegian it pisses me off Haaland and Ødegaard both moved clubs when we had Ole. Haaland's not on Ole though, that's the clubs fault.
I believe when they loaned him, we also already had Bruno, who plays in the same position and was for a while more effective than Odegaard. It's revisionism at its best.

Haaland is well documented yeah.

He also clearly wanted Bellingham and went above and beyond on that one.

Don't think there's much wrong with Ole's involvement in transfers in general.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Truly, the one that got away. And for what :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Owh come on :lol: First Pedri, now Odegaard. What’s with you clamoring for players that wouldn’t make the first 11?

He is great, but simply not good enough for a starting position for us. Works fantastic in this Arsenal setup and that is fine. He was clearly levels below what we had back when Kroos-Modric were playing and he still isn’t at the level of someone like Jude.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just making sure, you do realise he's talking about Mbappe here and not Odegaard?
Yeah I got that. It was more me laughing at the fact that there’s this weird niche subgroup on the Caf that make out Mbappe is simply a rogue mercenary and not, you know, the best player in world football right now. Like Madrid are doing Mbappe a favour by saying “ahhh go on then, you can join our club!!”

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Owh come on :lol: First Pedri, now Odegaard. What’s with you clamoring for players that wouldn’t make the first 11?

He is great, but simply not good enough for a starting position for us. Works fantastic in this Arsenal setup and that is fine. He was clearly levels below what we had back when Kroos-Modric were playing and he still isn’t at the level of someone like Jude.
Dunno if he'd start over Kroos but if we had him we wouldn't be desperate for Kroos not to retire...and Odegaard was actually ours

Jude is a different player with a different role, nothing to do with Odegaard
Like Madrid are doing Mbappe a favour by saying “ahhh go on then, you can join our club!!”
Damn right :devil:

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC

Very different positions and functions. Ozil was similar, regarding position, to De Bruyne or Griezmann; he was more an attacker than a true midfielder; Odegaard is like Modric or Kroos. Not many clubs, at least among the biggest ones, use players like Ozil today; especially when they don't have great finishing skills.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah I got that. It was more me laughing at the fact that there’s this weird niche subgroup on the Caf that make out Mbappe is simply a rogue mercenary and not, you know, the best player in world football right now. Like Madrid are doing Mbappe a favour by saying “ahhh go on then, you can join our club!!”
Mbappe perhaps is the best player in the world football right now, but he doesn't get the attention and spotlight he thinks he deserved by playing in Ligue 1.

Madrid without Mbappe, won the CL last season, and is about to win the league title this year. Does Real Madrid want Mbappe? Sure, but they can also live without, just like Man City.

Where can Mbappe go if not Real Madrid? He doesn't have many options that can meet his requirement, even put his salary requirement aside.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
We had, but still.

Many were saying at the time that United should not lower themselves to loan players from big clubs. That it was a waste of time and ressources. Very funny in hindsight :angel:

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Many were saying at the time that United should not lower themselves to loan players from big clubs. That it was a waste of time and ressources. Very funny in hindsight :angel:
I think a lot of credit goes to Mikel and his overselling of the club's history and ideals and support apart from the obviously tangible intelligence he brings in. We were literally a dumpster fire when he took over and possibly worse a year in.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I mean, our home support is probably in the relegation zone of the league in the period 2018-2021

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Real Madrid reject - do not want. Not good enough.
Loan player - we are not a feeder club. we do not develop young players for other big club.

To be honest for a club like Man Utd this is normal expectation. They have the resources to go for the best players available in the market.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid

I think he could be a starter for us but at the time it was the right move for for both Real Madrid and Ødegaard (and it was also a good transfer for Arsenal). At least I'm not mad he's doing very well with Arsenal, the timing didn't work with Real Madrid but he always was a qulity player.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I mean, our home support is probably in the relegation zone of the league in the period 2018-2021
Coincidentally that period is when I was going to games at the Emirates :nervous:

ForFuchsSake

Absolutely oozes class. Unbelievable footwork and close control as well as a great engine and ability to dictate the game.

That assist last night was otherworldly - from the PL, to my mind, only De Bruyne is capable of pulling off that move.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal

Wouldn't he start ahead of Valverde?
Bellingham plays a role similar to what Havertz is supposed to play for Arsenal I guess so they can play together.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Wouldn't he start ahead of Valverde?
Bellingham plays a role similar to what Havertz is supposed to play for Arsenal I guess so they can play together.
I wouldn’t trade any one of Kroos, Jude, Fede, Cama for him. I’d take him over Ceballos though but that would mean he is a bench option. Think for some fans it always becomes a ‘the one that got away’ when players leave and do good.

I compared to Jude because I see Odegaard often in the final third being a creator (tho Jude does much more than that). And we’ve seen what he is like at Madrid. It was not good enough. Good for him making it at Arsenal though.

E-mal

I wouldn’t trade any one of Kroos, Jude, Fede, Cama for him. I’d take him over Ceballos though but that would mean he is a bench option. Think for some fans it always becomes a ‘the one that got away’ when players leave and do good.

I compared to Jude because I see Odegaard often in the final third being a creator (tho Jude does much more than that). And we’ve seen what he is like at Madrid. It was not good enough. Good for him making it at Arsenal though.
He is better than most of your current midfield aside Kroos who is perhaps on his last legs.
NB: I believe Modric is done.

Odegaard is a terrific player who is capable of controlling games something Bellingham has not been tasked to do yet, perhaps because he has Kroos and Modric at the moment.
Valverde is a nothing player technically. He does not add anything creatively and controlling games.
Your team got dominated by RBZ ? last week.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
He is better than most of your current midfield aside Kroos who is perhaps on his last legs.
NB: I believe Modric is done.

Odegaard is a terrific player who is capable of controlling games something Bellingham has not been tasked to do yet, perhaps because he has Kroos and Modric at the moment.
Valverde is a nothing player technically. He does not add anything creatively and controlling games.
Your team got dominated by RBZ ? last week.
I very, very much disagree with this but that’s alright.

He is doing good for Arsenal, great because it doesn’t happen often that our younglings we sell make it at that level. Most end up at some midtable LaLiga club.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I wouldn’t trade any one of Kroos, Jude, Fede, Cama for him.
He is WAY better than Camavinga right now. And essentially the player we hope Camavinga might become...

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He goes missing in the big games.

Righteous Steps

He is WAY better than Camavinga right now. And essentially the player we hope Camavinga might become...
Camavinga will never become as good as Odegaard in the final third, Odegaard is an elite 10. I would imagine Camavinga being more of a box to box midfielder at his best in the guise of a Kante and if we were to use another player with Arsenal links as a comparison Xhaka.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal

Loving the sanctimony.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal

Even as an Arsenal fan, we've been blessed with great assists, but that one is up there.

Still think Fabregas is our greatest midfielder during the Emirates era though. Odegaard can surpass him if he's loyal to the club and keeps it up. This year he is starting to turn the screw in the bigger games - often a major criticism of him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Camavinga will never become as good as Odegaard in the final third, Odegaard is an elite 10. I would imagine Camavinga being more of a box to box midfielder at his best in the guise of a Kante and if we were to use another player with Arsenal links as a comparison Xhaka.
Don't care too much about him becoming as good as odegaard in the final third, but in terms of ball progression, line breaking and dictating tempo