5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVG7

It’s quite simple with Greenwood really, In an attacking set up he will consistently get goals, so long as the rest of the attackers do their jobs and stretch defences/make runs in behind etc. Do all that, and it inevitably creates space for greenwood. I don’t think I’ve seen him completely shank a shot yet, it’s almost always on target. He’s one of the most natural finishers I can remember seeing at that age, so if we go back to dominating ting dross teams like Watford, he’s got the potential to be a 1.00gpg player.

edcunited1878

My concern with that is that managers will just think it's fine to play him wherever, and it'll be a Rashford style situation where it takes 4 years to find his best position.
More tongue in cheek my original answer, but agree with your point. He's roaming as a right forward with license to go centrally and somewhat in that interchange concept.

Because he's so clinical with both his feet and is able to fashion space for himself without proper service and doesn't rely on pace or size to get said space, he's a special talent that is being groomed very well by Ole and staff.

MrBest

A goal every 110 minutes in the premier league, enough said. Who can beat that? Pretty sure it is the best minute to goal ratio with players who have five or more. I would like to be selfish and not have him in the Euros as a good summer to rest would be really good for his development. That said, you cannot ignore that he deserves to be there and if i was Gareth, I would seriously look at taking him because as an option off the bench, he has been incredible this year. 11 goals at just 18 ...

MadMike

A goal every 110 minutes in the premier league, enough said. Who can beat that? Pretty sure it is the best minute to goal ratio with players who have five or more. I would like to be selfish and not have him in the Euros as a good summer to rest would be really good for his development. That said, you cannot ignore that he deserves to be there and if i was Gareth, I would seriously look at taking him because as an option off the bench, he has been incredible this year. 11 goals at just 18 ...

Red_toad

My concern with that is that managers will just think it's fine to play him wherever, and it'll be a Rashford style situation where it takes 4 years to find his best position.
It’s been obvious for ages Rashford is best on the left. Where do you get it’s taken 4 years? Greenwood is very able to play across the front 3, long term he’s a striker but not at 18.
I don’t see the problem having players who can play various roles.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It’s been obvious for ages Rashford is best on the left. Where do you get it’s taken 4 years? Greenwood is very able to play across the front 3, long term he’s a striker but not at 18.
But Rashford himself said that he thinks his best position is at the 9.

macheda14

‘The position that I’m playing now, this is my favourite position I think,’ said Rashford in response to Van Persie. ‘Because it’s not really left wing and it’s not number nine. But when you’re a number nine you have to be prepared to not see the ball.’

Tel074

Let's hope it's a Rashford style situation because he's a bloody superstar in the making

sglowrider

‘The position that I’m playing now, this is my favourite position I think,’ said Rashford in response to Van Persie. ‘Because it’s not really left wing and it’s not number nine. But when you’re a number nine you have to be prepared to not see the ball.’
I have seen other interviews when asked about his fav position. But then he tapers that with saying that Ole wants them to be an interchangeable front three.

Mr Smith

Many on here were claiming for some time he was better up front and was being shoehorned out wide under Mourinho. Even Ole initially played him up front when he dropped Lukaku.

SAFMUTD

He will inevitably end up playing upfront, he doesnt have the speed to play of the wing and his best quality is his finishing so he would be wasted playing on the sides. But right now he's too skiny and would get beated by the defenders, it's good for him to play on the wing until he fully develops and then he can start playing as 9.

Red_toad

Many on here were claiming for some time he was better up front and was being shoehorned out wide under Mourinho. Even Ole initially played him up front when he dropped Lukaku.
He can play up top in a duo, he can’t play with his back to goal and be the main striker. Yes Ole experimented with a few players he’d never coached before. His best performances have consistently been as a left sided attacker, he has been shoehorned into other positions to aide the team at the detriment of his abilities.

Yes and Rooney thought he could play in midfield, even got games there under Van Gaal.

meamth

Nope, his recent interviews said that he prefers himself as a forward, who can play everywhere from the left, middle and right. He wants to be the perfect modern attacker.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Wide in a Mourinho team is different to what he’s currently obliged to do on the left though; he was an auxiliary leftback for the majority of his time under Jose, hence why he seemed to stall.

criticalanalysis

He will inevitably end up playing upfront, he doesnt have the speed to play of the wing and his best quality is his finishing so he would be wasted playing on the sides. But right now he's too skiny and would get beated by the defenders, it's good for him to play on the wing until he fully develops and then he can start playing as 9.
.....what?! I feel like this post has been sent from 2017.

He has elite speed and strength. The problem is consistency and poor (team) coaching from the manager.

RedCurry

Wide in a Mourinho team is different to what he’s currently obliged to do on the left though; he was an auxiliary leftback for the majority of his time under Jose, hence why he seemed to stall.
I agree with this. Under Mourinho Rashford spent more time sprinting back than forward. Even when he got forward he was playing on the the touch line. It’s not the same role. I still think there’s more room to give him even more freedom if we play a more dominant game.

SweetRightFoot

He has elite speed and strength. The problem is consistency and poor (team) coaching from the manager.
To be honest it sounds like your post is from 2025...

Greenwood has elite strength? Really? Also he's not slow either but he's no Rashford or James.

and poor consistency and coaching from the manager? Go tell that to his stats and performances...

Bizarre post.

criticalanalysis

To be honest it sounds like your post is from 2025...

Greenwood has elite strength? Really? Also he's not slow either but he's no Rashford or James.

and poor consistency and coaching from the manager? Go tell that to his stats and performances...

Bizarre post.
:lol: Hold my hands up for this one. I was reading the posts before about Rashford and then replying thinking this was his thread..

In that case @SAFMUTD's comments are completely valid.

OGS' handling of Greenwood has been good. However, OGS' coaching of the team in general though leaves a lot to be desired. If we had more attacking patterns, the likes of Greenwood and Rashford would arguably be showing more returns than they are already.

SAFMUTD

Elite speed and strength? I don't think those attributes are the first that come to mind when talking about Greenwood, I think his best attributes are his finishing followed by his weak foot which is non existent. He is a killer and should play as a 9, but as I said he needs to bulk up first IMO he has look weak in the physical part of the game when facing central defenders.

He has to get better and retaining the ball and winning aerial duels and developing the physical aspect will help him lots, with a quick google search I found Greenwood weights 70 kgs and most central strikers weight around 80-85 kgs like Lewandoswki, Suarez, Benzema, for example.

SweetRightFoot

OGS' handling of Greenwood has been good. However, OGS' coaching of the team in general though leaves a lot to be desired. If we had more attacking patterns, the likes of Greenwood and Rashford would arguably be showing more returns than they are already.
I just hope you realize how amazing they are both doing already...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

Rashford in particular is one of the very best forwards in the PL at the moment.

It's all on the staff for rushing him into this injury though. He should be top scorer by now (still isn't far off).

SAFMUTD

:lol: Hold my hands up for this one. I was reading the posts before about Rashford and then replying thinking this was his thread..

In that case @SAFMUTD's comments are completely valid.

Just saw this post after I wrote the last one :lol:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You cant say that without the obligatory... reminds me of RVP.

Feck me. If I get a quid for every time I hear that I could buy up United very soon.
Nah, I don’t like to compare players, it’s just the sensation I had watching him play 90 minutes vs Watford. If he has luck regarding injuries and hopefully in the future he gets the chance to work with high level coaching staff he really can be the best player coming from the Academy of the last 10 years at least. Let’s wait 1/2 years.

criticalanalysis

Elite speed and strength? I don't think those attributes are the first that come to mind when talking about Greenwood, I think his best attributes are his finishing followed by his weak foot which is non existent. He is a killer and should play as a 9, but as I said he needs to bulk up first IMO he has look weak in the physical part of the game when facing central defenders.

He has to get better and retaining the ball and winning aerial duels and developing the physical aspect will help him lots, with a quick google search I found Greenwood weights 70 kgs and most central strikers weight around 80-85 kgs like Lewandoswki, Suarez, Benzema, for example.
Just saw this post after I wrote the last one :lol:
My bad mate :lol:

Agree with everything there. I've said the same thing in this thread when people were clamouring Greenwood to start more games. Technically and game intelligence wise I think he is very good with finishing first class of course. However, like you, I do worry about his physical development as he doesn't have the natural 'grown man strength' yet. OGS' managing of his minutes of his minute is good as he hasn't done a Moyes/Januzaj on him.

I just hope you realize how amazing they are both doing already...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

Rashford in particular is one of the very best forwards in the PL at the moment.

It's all on the staff for rushing him into this injury though. He should be top scorer by now (still isn't far off).
Yes I agree both are doing fantastic. Their return in this disjointed team is down to their ability as much down to the man-management of OGS but at the same time, we can't turn a blind eye to the poor tactics and style of play, which OGS is ultimately responsible for. To be fair to OGS he's been very unlucky with injuries but that's another discussion.

sglowrider

Yes I agree both are doing fantastic. Their return in this disjointed team is down to their ability as much down to the man-management of OGS but at the same time, we can't turn a blind eye to the poor tactics and style of play, which OGS is ultimately responsible for. To be fair to OGS he's been very unlucky with injuries but that's another discussion.
With the creative talents of Lingard, Mata and Peirera? We are lucky to be where we are at.

Lets get serious now. Football isnt about looking at line items or functional isolation, it needs to be seen in totality including the financial side in combination.

He'sRaldo

With the creative talents of Lingard, Mata and Peirera? We are lucky to be where we are at.

Lets get serious now. Football isnt about looking at line items or functional isolation, it needs to be seen in totality including the financial side in combination.
We're unlucky that he persisted with the 4-2-3-1 for the whole season, despite it meaning that we'd have to play at least one of our 3 worst players every game.

Luckily Bruno coming in means that the formation can finally work better, but I would have liked Ole to try and avoid using our weakest links however possible, even if it means changing formation. It doesn't make sense sticking to a formation where our weakest link takes up the most important position.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its good for a players development to experience football in different positions.

romufc

Its good for a players development to experience football in different positions.
Its very difficult to break into the PL and as a ST for Manutd. Playing against some of the best CB's. He can express himself abit more on the right, whilst getting used to playing in the league.

I really love watching him play though, such elegance.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its very difficult to break into the PL and as a ST for Manutd. Playing against some of the best CB's. He can express himself abit more on the right, whilst getting used to playing in the league.

I really love watching him play though, such elegance.
Agreed. I dont think he is ready to be fully relied upon yet as a starter. He can go missing in games, but a lot of that is down to experience. Wonderful finisher though. Give him the ball in and around the penalty area and he'll score goals.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

A bit harsh. Mata has always been a creative player, he struggles with the physical aspect of midfield, whereas Lingard and Pereira are not that creative.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Can see why the manager use him on the wings. Even there he can go anonymous at times, i guess its a way to involve him more in the game before he learn first team game and then moved into leading striker. He knows where the back of the net is. Cracking young talent there. 11 is soo good for a baby striker.

The United

I don't feel like he is quite ready for first team. Yet, still has scored a lot. Which shows how lethal he is in front of the goal.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Look at Rashford at 18/19, he was as skinny as Greenwood.

Once he gets in the gym and fills out naturally he's going to be an absolute weapon. Love his shooting technique, reminds me of Harry Kane the way he powers it along the floor daisy cutter style.

It really catches goalkeepers out as they all expect a finesse shot into the back post, but he loves shooting for the near with power.

Based Adnan

With Martial being injured and Greenwood rested for the most part against Brugge I suspect he'll start as number 9 tomorrow. Big game for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.