Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
You that confident?
Yes. Ratcliffe is British and understands how the British public mindset works. Not a chance he opens such a Pandora's box. This smacks of the press making money off United via rumour. Greenwood has been parked at Getafe to get him fit again and get a market value so that he can be sold down the line. Either this summer. Or after an even better loan level post Getafe stint.

pascell

Manchester United could decide "in just months" on whether or not to bring back Mason Greenwood, as bosses consider a dramatic U-turn.

Being reported this morning.
Not happening. Press trying to drum up hysteria after our manager and players winning PL monthly awards and us beating Chelsea. They have to get people talking about us somehow.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If you believe a Ratcliffe would take over the management of football decisions at Manchester United with a the equivalent of a PR nuclear firestorm as his first act. You don't think very highly of him as a businsss operator.
I don't think anything, was just wondering why you are so sure. Fair point though

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If he is playing well it improves his chances of returning imo. SJR’s arrival will probably not factor into it either since he wouldn’t technically be the outright owner and would punt the decision to whoever is actually running the day to day footballing operations.

BombayBadBoy

Im straight up laughing at anyone trying to pretend Mason Greenwood would struggle with the pace of the EPL or is suddenly not as good as players on our current roster.
Let alone some of the best in the EP league Thats world class self delusion right there!!!
100% There isn’t a forward at our club that he wouldn’t replace when fully fit. Not one. This is besides being the best finisher at the club.

SecondFig

If he is playing well it improves his chances of returning imo. SJR’s arrival will probably not factor into it either since he wouldn’t technically be the outright owner and would punt the decision to whoever is actually running the day to day footballing operations.
Disagree on this one, if Ratcliffe is nominally in charge of football operations (as reported), or if he's appointed someone, I cannot see a scenario in which Greenwood returns. From a It's perspective I would of thought the best outcome is seeking him for a semi-decent fee (in the context of his charges), like £30-40m would be a huge success for the club. Personally, I'd still prefer to see him binned off ASAP

Yorke to Cole

Yes. Ratcliffe is British and understands how the British public mindset works. Not a chance he opens such a Pandora's box. This smacks of the press making money off United via rumour. Greenwood has been parked at Getafe to get him fit again and get a market value so that he can be sold down the line. Either this summer. Or after an even better loan level post Getafe stint.
With our level of consistency on the pitch, that is already open.

There is no way he going for nothing. Our other forwards, one should not be on professional football pitch, one cost £80 million and can only use 1 foot, one who was excellent last season and diabolical this (and is mentally weak), one is persona non grata and the other 2 are aged 18 and 20 respectively.

I do not think it is inconceivable that we are looking for 3 forwards next summer amongst the other areas of the pitch.

The story originates from Romano, so there may be an element of truth in it.

On performances, Greenwood walks into this side. There is pace and tracking back in his work.

I have said it depends on the endeavor and the determination of both he and the club to attempt to acknowledge, accept and then make things right in order to move on.

With our level of consistency on the pitch, that is already open.

There is no way he going for nothing. Our other forwards, one should not be on professional football pitch, one cost £80 million and can only use 1 foot, one who was excellent last season and diabolical this (and is mentally weak), one is persona non grata and the other 2 are aged 18 and 20 respectively.

I do not think it is inconceivable that we are looking for 3 forwards next summer amongst the other areas of the pitch.

The story originates from Romano, so there may be an element of truth in it.

On performances, Greenwood walks into this side. There is pace and tracking back in his work.

I have said it depends on the endeavor and the determination of both he and the club to attempt to acknowledge, accept and then make things right in order to move on.
I can't see the club with Ratcliffe running football ops even can't contemplating reconsidering an M.G return. Everything they will do from now on will be geared to getting good market fees for him in the futurf. Even if they renewed his deal.

Which is the Glazers. Who already chose to kick him out via loans first. His fate is plain sealed

Red_Aaron

Unless mason somehow scores 30 goals in the second half of the season and agrees to a 'tell all' interview where everyone involved does their best to make him look good there's simply no short term win here for Ratcliffe, making it a pointless endeavour. He won't touch anything that will make him look bad at this point. Do I think MG is good enough to play for us, undoubtedly. Do I think the new football structure will risk huge backlash by bringing him back without extraordinary circumstances, definitely not

I foresee a tonne of stories over the next few months pushing every outcome including a possible return but it'll all be designed to get us the best possible fee for him. Here's done here

Several seasons abroad performing well , keeping his nose clean the whole time , maybe he'll get another shot here then if everyone really wants it to happen

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I don’t think that was the Glazers as they’re not that tightly involved. More likely it was Arnold after realizing his reintegration plan was leaked.
Exactly this.

We know for a fact that they were planning on bringing him back ffs.

It was the reaction of the media - specially the Athletic than caused them to U-Turn at literally the last minute.

That said, Jim Brexit will not want to be seen to do ANYTHING controversial or that the media can criticise when he achieves his minority stake, so I imagine Mason will leave Utd for a club who are capable of handling the situation.

People seem to be certain that will be a Spanish club… I’m not so sure of that.

Hammondo

You that confident? If there is people at the club who genuinely believe the video was «out of context» I think there is a chance. Give him a year in Getafe. A year in Luton or something similar where there is less spotlight on him. Time dont heal all wounds, but I think there would be less focus on it after a few years like that.
What was the context?

Yorke to Cole

Unless mason somehow scores 30 goals in the second half of the season and agrees to a 'tell all' interview where everyone involved does their best to make him look good there's simply no short term win here for Ratcliffe, making it a pointless endeavour. He won't touch anything that will make him look bad at this point. Do I think MG is good enough to play for us, undoubtedly. Do I think the new football structure will risk huge backlash by bringing him back without extraordinary circumstances, definitely not

I foresee a tonne of stories over the next few months pushing every outcome including a possible return but it'll all be designed to get us the best possible fee for him. Here's done here

Several seasons abroad performing well , keeping his nose clean the whole time , maybe he'll get another shot here then if everyone really wants it to happen

The problem with that is the Spanish league and any other European league (with the exception of the Premier League ) can offer a limited salary that he will want to earn. Remember he has lost 18 months of his career and this entire episode will have cost him financially. (I am not getting into judging him and saying he deserves it or not).

I am just trying interpret the life span of a footballers career and the fact that he is English and surely his ambitions surely aspire to play in the most competitive league in the World?

His current performances, I would say are decent and will continue to improve. However, with the club he is playing with and the vast majority of the clubs in opposition, he will only be tested so far.

I have noticed that his first touch and collection and his positioning for when he is about to receive the ball is well advanced in comparison in to his current counterparts.

Yes, his numbers are not elevated, but in terms of seeing his movement, the technical ability and the potential he has if one envisages him playing with a better quality of player, you can see he should be at higher level.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The problem with that is the Spanish league and any other European league (with the exception of the Premier League ) can offer a limited salary that he will want to earn. Remember he has lost 18 months of his career and this entire episode will have cost him financially. (I am not getting into judging him and saying he deserves it or not).

I am just trying interpret the life span of a footballers career and the fact that he is English and surely his ambitions surely aspire to play in the most competitive league in the World?

His current performances, I would say are decent and will continue to improve. However, with the club he is playing with and the vast majority of the clubs in opposition, he will only be tested so far.

I have noticed that his first touch and collection and his positioning for when he is about to receive the ball is well advanced in comparison in to his current counterparts.

Yes, his numbers are not elevated, but in terms of seeing his movement, the technical ability and the potential he has if one envisages him playing with a better quality of player, you can see he should be at higher level.
He hasn't lost much money really - match fees, goal bonuses and sponsorship I'd assume. But then an injured player would lose the first 2. He's still been paid vast sums to sit around on his little psycho arse with his ankle tag on. Obviously he's going to want to earn but he and his missus might well put quite a high value on a quiet life too after all this.

Yorke to Cole

He hasn't lost much money really - match fees, goal bonuses and sponsorship I'd assume. But then an injured player would lose the first 2. He's still been paid vast sums to sit around on his little psycho arse with his ankle tag on. Obviously he's going to want to earn but he and his missus might well put quite a high value on a quiet life too after all this.
Believe me has lost a lot of money. Particularly, when you consider what Manchester United in salary.

*Contract extension was in 2020 taking him up £75, 000 per week. He is likely to have been offered an extension at the end of last season if performances had have continued to improve. Probably in the region of £225, 000 per week.

* You are correct about sponsorships, bonuses but also no international football or participation at an international tournament will have hurt to vast degree.

*Appearances in Champion's League will have remitted more on his salary.

I just cant see how someone will not not want to earn a potentially vast sum of money in the most competitive league when he is an English national, just say to themselves, I will just settle for Real Sociedad.

Also, just to put this into context. Brentford are paying Ivan Toney (who is currently suspended) £125,000 a week.

In this industry you remunerated handsomely for ability.

What I am saying is his ability and performance could outgrow the club he is playing for.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

shocking if true.. how de we even construct such a deal? we essentially gave a club loaning our player 20% of his value?
Because he's toxic and we needed to find a club willing to take him.

United were in a difficult spot and needed to find Greenwood a club amid a backdrop of controversy. They were always going to struggle to find another party willing to take that risk, knowing there would be severe public criticism.

In Getafe, United found a team not only prepared to sign Greenwood on loan, but also parade the arrival all over social media in the face of a backlash.

By taking that risk, coupled with the fact Greenwood had not played a game of men’s football since January 2022, the Spanish club clearly felt would deserve a slice of the pie if United sell him to another club next summer as it would not have been possible without them rehabilitating and playing him.

the_cliff

shocking if true.. how de we even construct such a deal? we essentially gave a club loaning our player 20% of his value?
There's no way that's true.

Only way there could be some truth in that would be if we sell him in Jan while he is still on loan at Getafe and pay them some sort of compensation.

daba

Believe me has lost a lot of money. Particularly, when you consider what Manchester United in salary.

*Contract extension was in 2020 taking him up £75, 000 per week. He is likely to have been offered an extension at the end of last season if performances had have continued to improve. Probably in the region of £225, 000 per week.

* You are correct about sponsorships, bonuses but also no international football or participation at an international tournament will have hurt to vast degree.

*Appearances in Champion's League will have remitted more on his salary.

I just cant see how someone will not not want to earn a potentially vast sum of money in the most competitive league when he is an English national, just say to themselves, I will just settle for Real Sociedad.

Also, just to put this into context. Brentford are paying Ivan Toney (who is currently suspended) £125,000 a week.

In this industry you remunerated handsomely for ability.

What I am saying is his ability and performance could outgrow the club he is playing for.
I would also expect that up until he was cleared of charges / charges were dropped, he won’t have been paid his normal salary. There is a very high chance that there will be a clause in all of our players’ contracts that if they are under investigation that the club can have the right to suspend the player and therefore pay his salary (at least in full). So he possibly / probably lost out on a year’s salary earnings too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Because he's toxic and we needed to find a club willing to take him.
It’s actually a clever enough clause when you think about it. I wonder if it’s standard? Because it makes the loan club more invested in the player development. Which gives him more chance of getting games that might otherwise go to players already at the club.

It’s actually a clever enough clause when you think about it. I wonder if it’s standard? Because it makes the loan club more invested in the player development. Which gives him more chance of getting games that might otherwise go to players already at the club.
Aye, and if United ultimately decide to take him back, surely the clause is no longer in play.
Feels like a clever enough clause for many loans.

RuudTom83

Yay! something else we can all moan about...if it's in a tweet, then it must be true. :rolleyes:

STYLOISRED

We’re run by a bunch of absolute jokers!
How?? It's a really good clause IMHO because it essentially incentivises them to ensure his development. incase he becomes too good for them that a bigger club comes for him, they are rewarded handsomely. If the club decides to keep him, they get nothing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yay! something else we can all moan about...if it's in a tweet, then it must be true. :rolleyes:
The Athletic are going with it.

I can understand it for loans if it's a young player desperately in need of development time (like a Pellistri) but an established player like Mason, I mean he's a phenomenal talent and I'm surprised they had to butter up the loan deal with something like this.

Pes6Monster

That said, Jim Brexit will not want to be seen to do ANYTHING controversial or that the media can criticise when he achieves his minority stake, so I imagine Mason will leave Utd for a club who are capable of handling the situation.
Quite right.

If Qatar's state bid had won out it would be exactly the same. They were in it for publicity.

'Mason' is toxic and it's for that reason Getafe took United to the cleaners.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The Athletic are going with it.

I can understand it for loans if it's a young player desperately in need of development time (like a Pellistri) but an established player like Mason, I mean he's a phenomenal talent and I'm surprised they had to butter up the loan deal with something like this.
Because he hadn’t played in 18 months and has the worst PR hanging over him.

FerociousCorgis

i find it hard to believe united were that stupid and couldnt just get getafe to take mason for free. Has to be a misunderstanding and be like if we sell him right now in january. Just would give me more reason to say screw the backlash might as well reintegrate at end of season now. 20 percent is a freaking ridic percentage for getafe to receive.

Strelok

Agree and it won't be some big money anyway. We suck at selling.

If we don't recall him back it's more likely that he'll go on another loan then leave on a free. Unless we sell him real cheap.

InfiniteBoredom

i find it hard to believe united were that stupid and couldnt just get getafe to take mason for free. Has to be a misunderstanding and be like if we sell him right now in january. Just would give me more reason to say screw the backlash might as well reintegrate at end of season now. 20 percent is a freaking ridic percentage for getafe to receive.
It’s precisely what it is, if we sell him this Jan while he’s still on loan then they are entitled to the cut. As bad as we are on the market, we aren’t dumb enough to give the loan club a cut after the loan has expired.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That is shocking clause to give no matter how you spin it. That is a player whos potentil fee can go up to 40-50 mil. In that case we payed them around 10 mil to have first teamer in their squad. :lol:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Surely only exists to protect Getafe against early recall? Once the loan is done, we can sell him anywhere for 100%?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That is shocking clause to give no matter how you spin it. That is a player whos potentil fee can go up to 40-50 mil. In that case we payed them around 10 mil to have first teamer in their squad. :lol:
No, to have someone who hasn’t played football in 18 months at 21 years old. Someone nobody else was prepared to touch with a barge pole

Status
Not open for further replies.