Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_de_pologne

He’s a world class talent, levels above Antony and Garnacho, no surprise leading clubs are interested. He’d make the first 11 of any team in the league except maybe City. Would rather give him a second chance than lose him for nothing or in exchange for a worse player.
How many Getafe games have you watched? He wouldn't make first 11 at half PL teams

ROFLUTION

As the Bible says
The drought of goals will come
When the nation cast away the prodigal son
And when the prodigal son shall return,
It is he who has learned the ways of the world,
Therefor he is rightful to sit on his fathers throne
Glory, glory, man United.

it was from exodus I believe?
You read the bible, Ringo?

Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities and the selfishness of Harry Maguire. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds his team through the river of Merseyside, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost WAGs. And I will strike goals (...not women) in Getafe with great vengeance and furious anger for those who attempt to poison and destroy teams like Cadiz on a slightly warm tuesday night. And you will know I am the Lord (Nicklas Bendtner) when I lay My vengeance upon you."

saivet

So all Europe's big clubs will take him. But we won't because.. morals? Are we the only moral club left in the world? :lol:
That's yet to be seen, it's not exactly concrete interest. There doesn't appear to be any English clubs interested either, understandably from a PR perspective. If Spanish fans and media don't care about what happened that's one thing but coming back to United or going elsewhere in England isn't just a question of morals, there's also big backlash that will come with it.

Strelok

I do. Problem is he’s not consistent. Some moments he looks like one of the best in the world. Other moments he totally disappears and looks very average. Playing for big clubs is different than playing for Leeds. Not all players have the right mentality for it. So I feel like with us he might turn into a slightly better version of Antony. We need a player like Greenwood a lot more imo. Not only is he mentally built for it but we desperately need that consistent goal scoring threat from that position. But I understand he might not be a realistic option because the club is afraid of the backlash.
I see thanks for the info.

Agree about the bold part but yeah the backlash won't be nice. And tbh I don't think he'd like to come back here than going to Barca. Of course only if they want him.

Strelok

Losing him is going to be bad enough. Losing him and replacing him with Raphinha, though? That'd be adding insult to injury.
He’s a world class talent, levels above Antony and Garnacho, no surprise leading clubs are interested. He’d make the first 11 of any team in the league except maybe City. Would rather give him a second chance than lose him for nothing or in exchange for a worse player.
The whole point here is not about whether Raphinha is better than Greenwood but whether Raphinha is better for us than Antony I think.

If the rumour about Barca is true imo it's unlikely Greenwood would prefer us over Barca. And it's not like we will be able to sell him for some big money anyway. Any RW of Raphinha profile could cost us north 50m. So we gotta make the best out of this I think.

Patchbeard

He might prefer Barca to us in future to avoid the media storm.

Raphinha is a strange one in how he appears to play more within himself at a big club and not look as exciting as he did at a smaller club. Whereas I expected him to see more of the ball at Barca and put up even better numbers, but doesn't seemed to have kicked on and is now more of a bit part player there already. So I'm much less sure of whether he'd be a good signing compared to 18 months ago.

Would almost certainly be better than Antony, but maybe not as good Greenwood could have been :(

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
His stats, according to Transfermarkt, are 4 goals and 3 assists in 13 matches (900 minutes). If you take away the 2 goals in 60 minutes he scored against the worst opposition he most likely has or will ever play against (Tardienta) in a 0-12 win, you get 2 goals and 3 assists in 12 La Liga matches (840 minutes; 1 goal every 420 minutes -that's roughly 1 goal every 4 and a half matches- and 1 goal contribution every 168 minutes). He hasn't played against any of the teams currently in the top 4 in the competition.
Thanks for the important context

Performance talk only

golden_blunder

Staff
Just a reminder to everyone that this is a performance only thread (hence it’s in the performance forum)

if you wish to discuss the wider issue, then please use the existing thread in the United forum

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
His stats, according to Transfermarkt, are 4 goals and 3 assists in 13 matches (900 minutes). If you take away the 2 goals in 60 minutes he scored against the worst opposition he most likely has or will ever play against (Tardienta) in a 0-12 win, you get 2 goals and 3 assists in 12 La Liga matches (840 minutes; 1 goal every 420 minutes -that's roughly 1 goal every 4 and a half matches- and 1 goal contribution every 168 minutes). He hasn't played against any of the teams currently in the top 4 in the competition.
Thanks for putting this, it's also important to qualify, this is still quite good relative to the fact he hasn't played football in a year, but it highlights he needs to be playing a lot more football to get back to the level of impact needed if people want him back here.

flameinthesun

And in the context of the team he is playing for, where they are expected to finish, his role in the team and the fact he hasn't played football in nearly 2 years, is that good, bad or average?

Just trying to understand where the context starts and stops. The above can easily be viewed as a player who has not played in nearly 2 years, who plays on the wing and sometimes as a no 10 in his first 12 games is averaging a goal contribution every 2 games for a bottom half team who finished 15th last season and are currently 9th. Seems like he's having a pretty good season to me so far.

Strelok

Just read on Teamtalk that Barca, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid and another top European club have joined the chase with Barca leading atm.

Imo Jan is actually a pretty good time to sign him. He's getting back to previous form and would be very likely to be better in the second half of the season. Would be a real nice reinforcement for those teams in their title chase imo. And if he's able to continue his current trajectory by the end of the season his transfer value would be much higher than now.

For us imo we either call him back in Jan or should wait till summer to sell.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
My feeling exactly, although I doubt he would get in Liverpool starting lineup.

peridigm

Just read on Teamtalk that Barca, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid and another top European club have joined the chase with Barca leading atm.

Imo Jan is actually a pretty good time to sign him. He's getting back to previous form and would be very likely to be better in the second half of the season. Would be a real nice reinforcement for those teams in their title chase imo. And if he's able to continue his current trajectory by the end of the season his transfer value would be much higher than now.

For us imo we either call him back in Jan or should wait till summer to sell.
We should call him back. Would be an immediate improvement on the right side and I doubt we’d see Antony again apart from running out the clock as a sub.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No he wouldn't.

UDontMessWith24

Moral issues aside, to deny that he was one of the best young players in world football before everything went tits up is the height of revisionist delusion. That's not an opinion either.

flameinthesun

All we'll get is the same selfish player that kept trying to score from impossible angles.
Yup, he'll be that same selfish player who scored more than every other right winger we had....

We don't know what player would come back, based on his performances for getafe it would be a player very secure in possession with good passing, good crossing and still has a good finish on him. Sounds like a very good addition to the right wing to me.

Pes6Monster

Losing him is going to be bad enough. Losing him and replacing him with Raphinha, though? That'd be adding insult to injury.
Nah, losing him is not 'bad enough'. Should have been immediately sacked.

Raphina is no upgrade. Amazed Barca bought him, and Ferran Torres, also. Greenwood at Barca certainly could work.

flameinthesun

That clip is probably doing a better job of making me want him back than not. A clip where maybe he coulda passed to bruno but had the right to take a shot based on the position he got himself in, a clip with Ronaldo running offside and a couple of him coming off the right and taking a shot, which is how he scores most of his goals. You can make a similar clip for any player if you pick the right match. I'll say this though, he provided more movement and more attacking chances in that clip than any of our wingers this season.

Ole'sgunnarwin

I've watched a good bit of Getafe this season. He's not as good as most are saying on here. Very talented finisher but drifts out of games far too often. He looked great in his 2nd last season here but very average in his last season .

JagUTD

Are people saying he wouldn't make most PL first 11s while the likes of Barcelona are interested according to reports?

If after 18 months out of the game he is attracting that level of attention, then he's clearly a player of high quality. He won't be at 100% yet but is showing enough to get noticed. A possible low fee might help.

United will be watching him to of course.

uwotm8

Moral issues aside, to deny that he was one of the best young players in world football before everything went tits up is the height of revisionist delusion. That's not an opinion either.
Well it is an opinion. But a correct one I think.

Sublime finisher and one of the most two footed players I've ever seen.

golden_blunder

Staff
Are people saying he wouldn't make most PL first 11s while the likes of Barcelona are interested according to reports?

If after 18 months out of the game he is attracting that level of attention, then he's clearly a player of high quality. He won't be at 100% yet but is showing enough to get noticed. A possible low fee might help.

Barca can sniff a cheap deal who they can flip to an English side for profit

luke511

He should be brought back as a striker for next season, giving him the license to be greedy on sight of goal. Martial desperately needs replacing, so it would save funds to improve midfield and defence.

Garnacho Greenwood Amad could become the best front 3 in the country if nurtured properly.

RVN1991

I mean it's not like Barca can really pick and choose their targets with their current economic situation.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Would entirely depend on his mentality. As per the RVP analogies, he just moves like an elite footballer. His touch and balance just really pass the eye test.

But football is indeed a team sport, and very much entirely due to his own actions he's missed 2 crucial development years. For United it would be a simple two questions:

1. From all they know having coached him since he was a child, can he improve his decision making and become an elite attacker?

2. If yes, is it worth dealing with the sanctimonious sht shw that will come with bringing him back?

statpadder

That clip is probably doing a better job of making me want him back than not. A clip where maybe he coulda passed to bruno but had the right to take a shot based on the position he got himself in, a clip with Ronaldo running offside and a couple of him coming off the right and taking a shot, which is how he scores most of his goals. You can make a similar clip for any player if you pick the right match. I'll say this though, he provided more movement and more attacking chances in that clip than any of our wingers this season.
Trust me if Antony does this, you’ll be singing a different tune.

I would take Mason back as a greedy striker, not as a winger at all.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The whole point here is not about whether Raphinha is better than Greenwood but whether Raphinha is better for us than Antony I think.

If the rumour about Barca is true imo it's unlikely Greenwood would prefer us over Barca. And it's not like we will be able to sell him for some big money anyway. Any RW of Raphinha profile could cost us north 50m. So we gotta make the best out of this I think.
That's the thing. Our barometer shouldn't be "better than Antony". We need to start targeting genuine quality. Raphinha has all the flaws I said Antony had before he joined us. He can't dribble, he's very weak under pressure, lacks the consistency to play in tight spaces.

If we're going to lose Greenwood, which I think is inevitable, it's going to be a huge problem (not that it already hasn't been a problem) because he was one of the very, very few players we had who could dribble, could shield the ball under pressure, and showcased the close control and technical ability needed to play in tight spaces. Replacing him with Antony was terrible at the time, but not learning from that and then bringing in Raphinha would be even worse.

We have to start prioritising players who can dribble, can keep the ball under pressure, can play in tight spaces, etc. Raphinha doesn't fit the bill.

The_Midfielder

That's the thing. Our barometer shouldn't be "better than Antony". We need to start targeting genuine quality. Raphinha has all the flaws I said Antony had before he joined us. He can't dribble, he's very weak under pressure, lacks the consistency to play in tight spaces.

If we're going to lose Greenwood, which I think is inevitable, it's going to be a huge problem (not that it already hasn't been a problem) because he was one of the very, very few players we had who could dribble, could shield the ball under pressure, and showcased the close control and technical ability needed to play in tight spaces. Replacing him with Antony was terrible at the time, but not learning from that and then bringing in Raphinha would be even worse.

We have to start prioritising players who can dribble, can keep the ball under pressure, can play in tight spaces, etc. Raphinha doesn't fit the bill.
Raphina has a pretty good cross on him.. if I remember correctly

El Jefe

I've watched a good bit of Getafe this season. He's not as good as most are saying on here. Very talented finisher but drifts out of games far too often. He looked great in his 2nd last season here but very average in his last season .
The truth is if he is to come back he doesn't need to comeback as the Greenwood of old. We are a team with a dreadful set of attackers so as long as he can come back and be better than Antony and Martial, he's a new squad member on a free is how I see it. He doesn't have to start as the break in playing has probably done damage to his potential but he could be a valuable squad member.

Status
Not open for further replies.