Mason Greenwood - Football Discussion Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Depends on the player imo. If he wants this still, it can still be had. There are PR teams that would kill for this opportunity, and if he's willing to become a bit of a poster boy for rehabilitation and women's rights, there's a world where he can get redeemed, and get back on with his footballing career. But he'd have to put a lot of effort off the pitch into it, as would the club.

After losing 2 crucial years of development, I'm just not sure how good he can still be.

Msuker

Greenwood is better than any striker we can realistically get for 60M.

Imagine the Glazers decide that he should be recalled, force him onto Ten Haag (who professionally accepts the executive decision), then sell the club the next day. That could be one thing they actually did for the club in two decades.

redcucumber

Comes from his talent doesn’t it

If Donny van de Beek did the same thing, nobody would want him back
Greenwood has been at the club since he was a child. United have a duty of care, in my opinion (assuming he displays penitence and ten Hag believes it's the right to do).

Tender Teacher

Depends on the player imo. If he wants this still, it can still be had. There are PR teams that would kill for this opportunity, and if he's willing to become a bit of a poster boy for rehabilitation and women's rights, there's a world where he can get redeemed, and get back on with his footballing career. But he'd have to put a lot of effort off the pitch into it, as would the club.

After losing 2 crucial years of development, I'm just not sure how good he can still be.
The way development curves work means he's still capable of fulfilling his full potential. However, he'll most likely reach his peak slightly later than the majority of other players, i.e. aged around 28 rather than the apparent average of ~26.

Unam333

We should temper the expectations of him being match fit and up and running in the upcoming weeks. He needs game time and I don't think we'll give him that. He was out for so long. So best is if he goes out on loan abroad. Some members suggested using Greenwood as part of the deal for Hojlund, loaning him out, giving him valuable game time in a less demanding environment. Yeah, I quite like that idea.

Strelok

Comes from his talent doesn’t it

If Donny van de Beek did the same thing, nobody would want him back
Tbf he doesn't need to do the same thing and very few, if not none would want him back. Let alone if he does. Imo you should have used another example not VDB.

The Hilton

I don't get the suggestions that he'll struggle to come back from the layoff - plenty of footballers are out with injury and come back stronger, and there's no physical damage in this case so once he gets fit he'll be fine (assuming he isn't mentally shot from his time out of playing).

As for the suggestions that he wasn't that good in the first place, they're borderline nonsense. Greenwood was/is a generational talent, and with his kind of ability he'll end up with a good career in football whether we keep him or move him on.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Greenwood is better than any striker we can realistically get for 60M.

Imagine the Glazers decide that he should be recalled, force him onto Ten Haag (who professionally accepts the executive decision), then sell the club the next day. That could be one thing they actually did for the club in two decades.
Ten Hag has said that he’d like him as an option, but that it’s not his decision

Laurencio

Greenwood has been at the club since he was a child. United have a duty of care, in my opinion (assuming he displays penitence and ten Hag believes it's the right to do).
This is a good point. As the generational talent of the club, he's been under strict scrutiny and coaching since he came here as a 6 year old. Questions should be asked about how we got here.

MDFC Manager

This is a good point. We've followed him closely since he came here as a 6 year old. Questions should be asked about how we got here.
Ole was too soft on several players, that was the right time to sort him out.

Strelok

He'd be abused by sections of the Old Trafford crowd, never mind away games.
Imo it's actually the best thing for all parties involved if we'd sell him. We get the money. He'll quietly fulfill his potential and continue his career somewhere else without suffering the abuses. Imo he well deserves it after what he did. But still better for him, the club and everyone if things don't have to get ugly imo.

laughtersassassin

Obviously he probably should be forced out but feck me of we don't sign two strikers we are in a world if trouble.

Striker market bis so thin though so best we could probably do is loan Greenwood. Buy Hojlund and get Felix on loan who obviously isn't a striker but a talented attacker who just needs the right team and manager

Sparky Rhiwabon

You can bet that he'll have the biggest say in the matter. Especially if he doesn't get the 2 strikers that he seems to want.
I don’t think so, I think the club will be worried about losing sponsors. That might be less of an issue if Jassim was to takeover, but that’s not looking likely now.

peridigm

I assume any club who is ok to socially take him on loan is more focused on him being a 100m talent that they can pick up for peanuts and have a player who they typically would have no chance to have, rather then think it might take some time to get him sharp. Of course it doesn't take 4 months, but it'll inevitably take a bit of time.
If United think there is any chance he'll fetch 100m, we ain't selling him on the cheap only for the purchasing club to make a fortune off selling him. Sell on clause or not, those aren't typically all that great. I'd hope we'd loan him out, see whether he gets back to his best, then sell him for 100m if we're not going to keep him.

Eli Zee

He also can't play RW well enough. Antony can, he had a decent good debut season and we were so much better with him in the team. If Greenwood comes back he will be CF option, he isn't good enough wide
I think Greenwood would be much better than Antony had he not been on the sidelines..just the fact that he's two footed and could score goals made him better. Under a good manager , he probably would've been really good this season

Bebe

A loan makes sense in the short term, but he'll be faced with some abuse from opposition supporters and maybe our own regardless. I'd rather bring him back and get him playing under ETH immediately, but if marketing folks want him to play out of the UK for a year I get it.

Point is to get him back to match fitness and sharpness. It's mental from a footballing perspective to consider spending the 100m any top striker would cost when we have a former Blue chip talent at that position on the roster. Yes his game will have declined over the last year and a half, but he's young enough (and more than talented enough) to get it back.

goalscholes

Resigning CR7 wasn't controversial and he wasn't outed as a (supposed) domestic abuser and potential rapist.

I don't see how you can even compare the 2 with a straight face
Erm… yes he was?

Ronaldo (supposedly) told his agent that he ignored the word no, there was DNA evidence and he paid her off for her silence.

CloneMC16

If he comes back, I expect ETH to play him as a #9. Even though I think he's easily clear of anybody else we'll play on the right, we don't have a reliable #9.

He's probably going to have to go abroad on loan first. See how he does and then maybe bring him back. He's gonna have to get used to the abuse he'll get.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Won’t touch on my personal feelings about him as I’ll end up banned but from a football perspective I cannot see the club selling him this window.

A loan to get his value up and then sale is probably realistically the best outcome for those like me who don’t believe he should play here again.

The dressing room dynamics alone will cause unnecessary friction that can impact the footballing side of things.

goalscholes

I’m not sure whether it’s better for the player to be eased in slowly at OT, or ask him to sink or swim abroad first.

Mentally it will be very tough on him and I imagine he’ll need lots of mental health support either way (which he’s hopefully already receiving)

tomaldinho1

I think Greenwood would be much better than Antony had he not been on the sidelines..just the fact that he's two footed and could score goals made him better. Under a good manager , he probably would've been really good this season
This is classic caf. We've seen Greenwood on the RW, he is a great goal threat because he's a striker but he can't play RW positionally - when are we going to learn it's about making a team not just putting players we think are good into the wrong positions. He is a striker, a 9, that's where his long term future is if he ever comes back (I don't think he will). Also Rashford - Martial - Greenwood would be so average off the ball it would put so much pressure on our already vulnerable CMs

Redstain

That is my view as well.
I keep reading that he should be put out on loan. But to be honest I am struggling to understand what that would achieve.
Is that magically going to stop him from getting jeered or criticised or booed or whatever. Football is international.
And if he is sent out on loan abroad, he will be on his own in a different country and environment with little or no actual support. And at the end of the loan period, all of the attention will start afresh.

Far better in my view for him to be reintroduced gradually here at OT where he has always been and in a place he knows and with all of the support he is going to need.
Yes of course it will be difficult for him and United for a period of time. But he is going to have to face up to all of that at some point anyway.
Just my opinion.
That's a good evaluation. I actually think bringing in Hojland and having Greenwood upfront is viable. Martial to step in if required and the depth covers his fitness issues. I don't see football as a high octane sport where time out will significantly reduce ones ability Greenwood is only 21.

KjaAnd

I just want to echo what many others have said. I really think the best option for everyone would be to loan him out, see if he's still got it after all that has transpired and sell him to a team abroad for £50m+ next Summer if everything goes well.

Regardless of what is morally right or wrong, I don't think there's any way back for him here. Pressure from the media, the dressing room, commercial interests, oppo fans and even our own fans will create so much noise around the club that it outweighs his potential contribution on the pitch IMO.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Should never wear a united shirt again.

Like others have said Loan him this season, get him upto speed again then sell him next season and be done with this whole situation and player.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is classic caf. We've seen Greenwood on the RW, he is a great goal threat because he's a striker but he can't play RW positionally - when are we going to learn it's about making a team not just putting players we think are good into the wrong positions. He is a striker, a 9, that's where his long term future is if he ever comes back (I don't think he will). Also Rashford - Martial - Greenwood would be so average off the ball it would put so much pressure on our already vulnerable CMs
Trouble is Antony hasn't exactly made RW his own, so fans will always look to alternative options. Its even more complicated given Garnacho's rise on the left, which will free Sancho to swap more between left and right. That's even before we get to Pellistri who will surely improve over time as well.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
I don't get the suggestions that he'll struggle to come back from the layoff - plenty of footballers are out with injury and come back stronger, and there's no physical damage in this case so once he gets fit he'll be fine (assuming he isn't mentally shot from his time out of playing).

As for the suggestions that he wasn't that good in the first place, they're borderline nonsense. Greenwood was/is a generational talent, and with his kind of ability he'll end up with a good career in football whether we keep him or move him on.
A bit rich of you to accuse others of borderline nonsense and then come out with something like this.

redshaw

A loan to Italy could be really good for him, score lots of goals and be away from the situation. He could really enjoy being out there like Smalling and want to stay.

Will we have a split fanbase whether to cheer his goals for us? I feel the strange atmosphere around him won't be good to watch and when he's not playing well it could be really toxic.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Trouble is Antony hasn't exactly made RW his own, so fans will always look to alternative options. Its even more complicated given Garnacho's rise on the left, which will free Sancho to swap more between left and right. That's even before we get to Pellistri who will surely improve over time as well.
Antony is the best RW weve had for a long time. He’s completely changed how we can sustain attacks and progress the ball up the pitch.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Antony is the best RW weve had for a long time. He’s completely changed how we can sustain attacks and progress the ball up the pitch.
We scored a whopping 58 goals last year (to Arsenal's 88 and City's 94), so in the grand scheme of things, Antony hasn't been a game changer at all, even along side our first 30 goal striker in a decade.

Strelok

According to an article I just read ETH seems to prioritise the purchase of Amrabat over a new #9 now due to how dire and expensive the striker market currently is and of course Greenwood. He's having a look at the player while waiting for the final decision from the board on Greenwood.

I don't know if there is any truth in that but it quite makes sense if true imo. Greenwood is clearly better than any option we can get now and he can play at least two positions. Of course only if he hasn't regressed.

Edit: imo the Glazers might actually considering keeping him. It seems ETH does rate Greenwood and thinks he's good enough to be his #9. So keeping him would save them for example the 60m Atalanta is asking for Hojlund. And I don't think those greedy bastards would give much feck about the club's reputation etc. especially atm when they're about to sell the club. Loan and sell him later might bring the club some cash but they probably won't be around here by then anyway. Not their money by then but the 60m now is their money.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
According to an article I just read ETH seems to prioritise the purchase of Amrabat over a new #9 now due to how dire and expensive the striker market currently is and of course Greenwood. He's having a look at the player while waiting for the final decision from the board on Greenwood.

I don't know if there is any truth in that but it quite makes sense if true imo. Greenwood is clearly better than any option we can get now and he can play at least two positions. Of course only if he hasn't regressed.
I wouldn’t worry about him regressing, he’s proved himself a very persistent lad.

tidraKS

A loan to Italy would be the best for all parties involved. First of all, he'll not have the pressure he'd have in the Premier League. I think he has lost his football rhythm, so he'll find it back there. If it works for him, we'll welcome him back in 2024/25.

Status
Not open for further replies.