View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
People arent interested in facts. They are just happy because Mount didn't do well in a preseason experiment so that they can just say " hey I told you, he isn't worth it"

At times, our online fan base can be as shameless as it can get.
Maybe they're right

As gullible as most of us, we too can be right sometimes.

70M for a player who ETH didn't actually know where to play

glasgow 21

People arent interested in facts. They are just happy because Mount didn't do well in a preseason experiment so that they can just say " hey I told you, he isn't worth it"

At times, our online fan base can be as shameless as it can get.
Yeah Mount was especially poor in the first half, I blame Antony on this one even though he was on the bench, Brexit and cost of living crisis. ETH will never live this down and loosing the Houston Cow pat trophy will haunt him all season.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Maybe my expectations were somewhat low because I feel he's done Ok. I'm not even sure I expect much more than what I see now. He presses and tackles well, gets about providing an option for a pass, and when he gets the ball, he mostly passes forward with pace on the ball, and isn't wasteful in his passing, oh, he also makes late runs into the box which results in him getting a fair few chances (which he hasn't converted yet)

Perhaps the one thing I'll expect as he gets more confident is his carrying of the ball when the opportunity presents itself to cover ground, apart from that I expect more of the same, I just feel the more he plays, the more some of those forward passes he already makes will end up as assists.

I also expect he'll start to make better use of his scoring chances. We've already seen in Chelsea that he's a very viable goal threat
Exactly my feeling. He's doing what he has been doing for Chelsea, maybe he's not in great form but this is how he plays. He is a supporting player that plays fast football, basically one/two touch, give and go, and runs a lot.

I think the problem is he has been labeled as "Eriksen replacement" while he's actually an upgrade on Fred in terms of playing style.

His long range passing has been poor and that will improve when he gets into the groove, but so far he's been doing pretty much what I expect from him. I would love Mount to get more involved in the buildup as I see this as the biggest issue once we start the league, but it doesn't look like ETH wants to use him this way (based on the very limited sample).

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It is debatable as we can't compare current teams to what was in the past, but it is a funny timing to make this comment after a team that uses inverted fullbacks, CBs playing as midfielders and a goalkeeper which biggest weakness is shotstopping has just won the treble.
I think you are missing the point. A few pull it off splendidly (like Müller) but most times these incredibly nuanced attributes and intangible contributions are excuses for being shit at the fundamentals of the actual job.

E.g. Trent can't defend. It's not just "modern" football, it goes all the way to Emile Heskey as a defensive striker who couldn't score for toffee.

I'm not even alluding to Mount himself, just the hipster arguments. The obvious take with MM is let's wait and see how it pans out because it will tell us more about Mount and, most importantly, Ten Hag.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think you are missing the point. A few pull it off splendidly (like Müller) but most times these incredibly nuanced attributes and intangible contributions are excuses for being shit at the fundamentals of the actual job.

E.g. Trent can't defend. It's not just "modern" football, it goes all the way to Emile Heskey as a defensive striker who couldn't score for toffee.

I'm not even alluding to Mount himself, just the hipster arguments. The obvious take with MM is let's wait and see how it pans out because it will tell us more about Mount and, most importantly, Ten Hag.
I generally agree with you, my previous comment was a response to your "fed up with modern football" note. To be honest, this "he isn't very good at defending for a fullback but can run all day and has a good cross on him" (just as an example) has been always been the case in football. It's just more visible now because of how many teams use unorthodox fullbacks, CBs stepping into midfield etc. Although to be honest, in the past teams used CBs as fullbacks more often than now (see Brown, O'Shea).

I think the transformation with goalkeepers since Neuer, now Ederson etc is fascinating to watch.

I don't know however how this all relates to Mount.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I never saw it in Mount so ive been looking for why he was wanted for by Ten Hag.

Seeing Fred go makes me see Mount as his replacement & it makes a bit more sense.

Mount is the jack of all trades player that adds a bit of everything to the team both attackingly & defensively. He is also a set piece taker whilst arguably our fresh new engine that still adds with creativity & goals to the team whilst always being behind players neck as soon as the balls lost aswell.

Whilst the team improves i think fans will see more of his importance - this is a Fred that can play at LM, CAM, RM, LAM, RAM, CM & even CF if needed & be quite a consistent player with his skill & output to a team.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Exactly my feeling. He's doing what he has been doing for Chelsea, maybe he's not in great form but this is how he plays. He is a supporting player that plays fast football, basically one/two touch, give and go, and runs a lot.

I think the problem is he has been labeled as "Eriksen replacement" while he's actually an upgrade on Fred in terms of playing style.

His long range passing has been poor and that will improve when he gets into the groove, but so far he's been doing pretty much what I expect from him. I would love Mount to get more involved in the buildup as I see this as the biggest issue once we start the league, but it doesn't look like ETH wants to use him this way (based on the very limited sample).
Or maybe we give him just a bit more time to adjust to the new role and club whilst he builds uf fitness and confidence

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Or maybe we give him just a bit more time to adjust to the new role and club whilst he builds uf fitness and confidence
I don't get what you're implying. I am not expressing any impatience here, just stating my concerns which have been clear way before he played first game for us.

Giggsyking

You have seriously low expectations if you hope our star transfer of the summer ends up being good as Ji Sung Park - squad player for 7 years.
Id bite your hands off if he is half as good as Ji.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I don't get what you're implying. I am not expressing any impatience here, just stating my concerns which have been clear way before he played first game for us.
You have concerns about every player though. I would start worrying after 5-7 league games. What did you make of Casemiros start? Did you write off Ronaldo in season 2? Martinez after the first 3 games?

Brightonian

Another English idiom I'll never understand. "I'll indulge in cannibalism if something is better than I expect," is what I hear, but that's probably not what you mean.
:lol:

Try 'if you offer me that food item, I'll be so enthusiastic to get it that I'll accidentally bite your hand off too.'

lex talionis

The idiom is a bit ridiculous. Biting someone else’s hand off isn’t nearly as impressive a demonstration of enthusiasm for the proposed offer before it’s taken off the table as biting one’s own hand off.

Recall the movie Jack Reacher. There’s a scene where the underling thug was forced to chew one of his own knuckles off, not his crime boss, to prove his commitment to the criminal cause. After putting his finger in his mouth for a minute, he just couldn’t do it and was thus put down. Had he been ordered to chew off someone’s knuckle off, job done in a flash.

OsloRed

The idiom is a bit ridiculous. Biting someone else’s hand off isn’t nearly as impressive a demonstration of enthusiasm for the proposed offer before it’s taken off the table as biting one’s own hand off.

Recall the movie Jack Reacher. There’s a scene where the underling thug was forced to chew one of his own knuckles off, not his crime boss, to prove his commitment to the criminal cause. After putting his finger in his mouth for a minute, he just couldn’t do it and was thus put down. Had he been ordered to chew off someone’s knuckle off, job done in a flash.
This is the type of quality discussion I seek here!

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He is not a bad footballer but I don’t really see what problem this transfer solves. We still need a powerful number 8, a cover for Casemiro and 1 or 2 forwards/wingers to make us play better in the final third.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He is not a bad footballer but I don’t really see what problem this transfer solves. We still need a powerful number 8, a cover for Casemiro and 1 or 2 forwards/wingers to make us play better in the final third.
He will be our starting #8. So the problem it helps solve is the #8 one.

marktan

It was reported that he was a ETH priority.
Surely it was an ETH pick as Mount had a loan at Vitesse where he would have had a good look at him initially.
He loves his ex-Eredivisie players.
Hmm I was hoping we'd have moved away from the manager pick transfers by now. It was pretty disastrous under Ole and is pretty much no longer used by any of the big clubs.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You have concerns about every player though. I would start worrying after 5-7 league games. What did you make of Casemiros start? Did you write off Ronaldo in season 2? Martinez after the first 3 games?
You're missing the point of my comments. I don't have concerns about Mount as a player, I rate him. I have concerns about how we will be using him - by design differently to how he played for Chelsea. I'm not a fan of this idea of pushing attacking midfielders to CM

Borninthe80ts

I never saw it in Mount so ive been looking for why he was wanted for by Ten Hag.

Seeing Fred go makes me see Mount as his replacement & it makes a bit more sense.

Mount is the jack of all trades player that adds a bit of everything to the team both attackingly & defensively. He is also a set piece taker whilst arguably our fresh new engine that still adds with creativity & goals to the team whilst always being behind players neck as soon as the balls lost aswell.

Whilst the team improves i think fans will see more of his importance - this is a Fred that can play at LM, CAM, RM, LAM, RAM, CM & even CF if needed & be quite a consistent player with his skill & output to a team.

I fully agree with this and I think some people can underestimate the importance of this type of player, especially for tactical fluidity and adaptability.

A characteristic that endeared some fans to Fred was his hard work and Mount has this quality in spades. But where as Fred and other similar players in the squad lack technical consistency Mason should hopefully improve this area. Also we have seen Ten use a smaller squad than most managers, thus players who can cover multiple positions will prove invaluable over the course of a season.

NoPace

Pretty good 30 minutes or whatever against Dortmund. Still didn't get on the ball enough and lost some duels as he's weak, but some clever link play and passes forward.

Idxomer

His pressing and passing were good, he was much more alert than both Casemiro and Bruno.

Matt851

He is tactically flexible which will be handy but I still worry we have unnecessarily complicated things with this signing. We needed a better 8, instead we have got someone who has mostly played in other positions. Seems like it will lead to Bruno playing on the right more which I am not a great fan of

It might work our but seems an unnecessary gamble at the fee we paid

laughtersassassin

Not writing him off at all yet but I'd be lying if I said he impressed me in pre season. Early days yet of course

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He was very good today and easily the best outfield player out of those who were substituted after 60th mins. Good pressing and some good passing.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think Mount will be good player for us. Always rate him as a player (yes, even back to his Chelsea and England days)