g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Mason Mount image 7

Mason Mount England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
I dont think that's a big enough sample to judge or to have reservations. He was Chelsea's player of the year twice so if not setting the world alight whatever that means he certainly peformed for them.
Its especially madness to write him of after 3 preseason games.
I'm not writing him off, if he finds back his form from a couple of seasons ago by playing in a system that suits him more then we'll have a quality player in our hands. I do fear he will not though, hence my reservations. You're right that I don't watch enough football to take my opinion seriously ;)

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I was stating why it is normal for people to already have reservations after watching him play in the prem for a couple of seasons now. Bar his first season we can't say he set the world alight.
A dozen probably (vs United, in the champions league and the world cup)
This is just wrong. His first season wasn't even his best season! And he actually had a good couple of seasons, with one excellent season thrown in. He got 13 goals and 16 assists in the 21/22 season and has been awarded Player of the Season twice. Last season was the only one really where you could say he was poor, and that was a mixture of injuries, and Chelsea being Chelsea.

I question if you've ever watched him with what you said.

Last edited:

Real Name

I'm not writing him off, if he finds back his form from a couple of seasons ago by playing in a system that suits him more then we'll have a quality player in our hands. I do fear he will not though, hence my reservations. You're right that I don't watch enough football to take my opinion seriously ;)
We'll see what happens and hopefully ETH will make it work. Cheers. :)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
McTominay did more in 5 minutes yesterday than Mount has done across his pre-season appearances so far.

Those coming up with the "he's a system player", "a glue player", "he makes those around him better", "taammates can't find him" excuses are using the kind of same ones people tried to use for DVB.

He's certainly a better than DVB mind, and I'm not going to write him off just yet, but on his current showings and general energy levels he seems to have a fair way to go to be worthy of a starting spot at Utd and to improve anythng.
How to say you are not "writing him off " but actually "you are writing him off" in one post.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
This is just wrong. His first season wasn't even his best season! And he actually had a good couple of seasons, with one excellent season thrown in. He got 13 goals and 16 assists in the 21/22 season and has been awarded Player of the Season twice. Last season was the only one really where you could say he was poor, and that was a mixture of injuries, and Chelsea being Chelsea.

I question if you've ever watched him with what you said.
People arent interested in facts. They are just happy because Mount didn't do well in a preseason experiment so that they can just say " hey I told you, he isn't worth it"

At times, our online fan base can be as shameless as it can get.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Those coming up with the "he's a system player", "a glue player", "he makes those around him better"
Keeping an open mind here but yeah, I'm fed up with modern football and its inverted wingers that can't cross, false strikers that can't score, fullbacks that can't defend, goalkeepers that play like Xavi but can't save simple shots, and these incredibly nuanced players that look completely ordinary but are supposed to be great.

I blame Thomas Müller, he did all those things without it being too obvious. Deceptively well, quite literally. Most labeled that way are just an inconsequential exercise in deception though.

Oldyella

McTominay did more in 5 minutes yesterday than Mount has done across his pre-season appearances so far.

Those coming up with the "he's a system player", "a glue player", "he makes those around him better", "taammates can't find him" excuses are using the kind of same ones people tried to use for DVB.

He's certainly a better than DVB mind, and I'm not going to write him off just yet, but on his current showings and general energy levels he seems to have a fair way to go to be worthy of a starting spot at Utd and to improve anythng.
Certainly sounds like you have written him off.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Keeping an open mind here but yeah, I'm fed up with modern football and its inverted wingers that can't cross, false strikers that can't score, fullbacks that can't defend, goalkeepers that play like Xavi but can't save simple shots, and these incredibly nuanced players that look completely ordinary but are supposed to be great.

I blame Thomas Müller, he did all those things without it being too obvious. Deceptively well, quite literally. Most labeled that way are just an inconsequential exercise in deception though.
I'm sorry the sport has changed and become more efficient in a way that isn't to your liking. You're more than welcome to just pop on season reviews from 20 years ago though if that's what you prefer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Early doors, but not seeing it
It’s not really ‘early doors’ - Mount has been in the PL for years. You’re ‘not seeing it’ with Mason Mount likely didn’t start two weeks ago.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I dont think that's a big enough sample to judge or to have reservations. He was Chelsea's player of the year twice so if not setting the world alight whatever that means he certainly peformed for them.
Its especially madness to write him of after 3 preseason games.
In the position Bruno plays in. We need him as an 8 and he is relatively unproven in that role.

antohan

I'm sorry the sport has changed and become more efficient in a way that isn't to your liking. You're more than welcome to just pop on season reviews from 20 years ago though if that's what you prefer.
As I said, I appreciate Thomas Müller. I sure could appreciate Robben and Ribery cutting inside in that same team.

I can also see the use in a keeper that can distribute, you could see that 30 years ago the moment the backpass rule got scrapped. Some top tier keepers immediately turned to shit and struggled to adapt.

In far too many cases it's all a load of nonsensical excuses for a footballer not getting basic stuff right. Your very username points to one such case. I adored Valencia but every time he got into a standstill staring contest with a fullback you knew it wouldn't end well because he didn't have a left foot and from a standing start he invariably hit the defender blocking him.

Abraxas

I think there may have to be a little patience for a half dozen games or so. As much as we are expecting a ready made player, and he really should be as an established player for Chelsea - he's also likely to undertake a complete change of role here. I think that will take some adjustment. Not only do you have completely new teammates around you, but you're playing a completely different midfield role. A number 8 role has way more defensive responsibility and much more of a buildup role than playing as a 10 or attacking player who's main defensive responsibility is proactive pressing. As a 10 you are most of the time picking up the ball in more advanced positions and driving at the defence, there isn't much need to drop in and help receive the ball in the buildup. Even if Bruno and him will alternate responsibilities there is a requirement to understand your team mates to build up the sort of relationship that makes it seamless. So I think he will need a period of games to get used to ETH's idea while also settling into a new side.

Samoerai Jack

Really like Mount. He just oozes class. No fears or reservations from me. He's got more stamina than Eriksen, more brains than Fred and more technique than Mctominay. And contrary to van de Beek, he's made of solid matter. What's not to like?

If we aim to sell Mctom for 40m then even his price must be deemed reasonable. Still, I'm not at all surprised that he's our scapegoat now. Anxious people look for weakness to project their fears on, and a rival's fan favourite coming over after a difficult season is prime beef. He'll be under scrutiny for at least a year and will likely stay that way for some no matter what.

For me, he has assisted a Champion's League final winning goal, and I think he can do it again.

acnumber9

I think it's pre-season and the manager is just using it as a chance to test a few different ideas. People are looking into it too much if they see anything beyond that. Bruno might occasionally pop up at RW but that's not suddenly going to be his main position, especially if Antony and Sancho are available.
I would agree were it not a continued trend from shifting Bruno out of position to accommodate a lesser player. I am hoping it is a lesson being learnt.

antohan

He's got more stamina than Eriksen, more brains than Fred and more technique than Mctominay. And contrary to van de Beek, he's made of solid matter.
That's a fair take. Mind you, each of those also has strengths and not just flaws.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think there may have to be a little patience for a half dozen games or so. As much as we are expecting a ready made player, and he really should be as an established player for Chelsea - he's also likely to undertake a complete change of role here. I think that will take some adjustment. Not only do you have completely new teammates around you, but you're playing a completely different midfield role. A number 8 role has way more defensive responsibility and much more of a buildup role than playing as a 10 or attacking player who's main defensive responsibility is proactive pressing. As a 10 you are most of the time picking up the ball in more advanced positions and driving at the defence, there isn't much need to drop in and help receive the ball in the buildup. Even if Bruno and him will alternate responsibilities there is a requirement to understand your team mates to build up the sort of relationship that makes it seamless. So I think he will need a period of games to get used to ETH's idea while also settling into a new side.
It seems like that new Liverpool player is more suitable to this number 8 role. Anyway, I'm expecting Mount to play like mcTom did in his 2nd half yesterday, but in more consistent basis.

But i don't know. I've kept hearing that ETH wants to play two number 10, instead of one 8 and one 10.

Red 142

How to say you are not "writing him off " but actually "you are writing him off" in one post.
Certainly sounds like you have written him off.
How?

I indicated that he does not appear to be impacting games enough yet and seems a bit behind most of the rest at the moment in terms of his current intensity and level of play. This means that obviously he still has to improve before he seems ready to claim a starting space.

I did not say how likely it is that he will or won't improve to the required degree - only that it needs to occur.

Real Name

Those coming up with the "he's a system player", "a glue player", "he makes those around him better", "teammates can't find him" excuses are using the kind of same ones people tried to use for DVB.

He's certainly a better player than DVB mind, and I'm not going to write him off just yet, but on his current showings and general energy levels he seems to have a fair way to go to be worthy of a starting spot at Utd and to improve anythng.
Best post today.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Really like Mount. He just oozes class. No fears or reservations from me. He's got more stamina than Eriksen, more brains than Fred and more technique than Mctominay. And contrary to van de Beek, he's made of solid matter. What's not to like?

If we aim to sell Mctom for 40m then even his price must be deemed reasonable. Still, I'm not at all surprised that he's our scapegoat now. Anxious people look for weakness to project their fears on, and a rival's fan favourite coming over after a difficult season is prime beef. He'll be under scrutiny for at least a year and will likely stay that way for some no matter what.

For me, he has assisted a Champion's League final winning goal, and I think he can do it again.
THought that it's universally accepted Mount is Eriksen replacement. But then what happened? Mainoo and Eriksen were playing as 8 instead of Mount.

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Tbf, they cost a similar amount (Fred probably much more if you account for the time value of money) and one has had (is it 4 now?) over 4 years here to prove himself and the others barely had 4 preseason matches - and possible only 1 outing with the so-called first XI...if Mount turns out to be as good as JSP then we'll have an excellent player on our hands.

Overall, you might be onto something (scruff of the neck stuff), although i am expecting more from Mount once he/the team settles.
You have seriously low expectations if you hope our star transfer of the summer ends up being good as Ji Sung Park - squad player for 7 years.

marktan

Those coming up with the "he's a system player", "a glue player", "he makes those around him better", "teammates can't find him" excuses are using the kind of same ones people tried to use for DVB.

He's certainly a better player than DVB mind, and I'm not going to write him off just yet, but on his current showings and general energy levels he seems to have a fair way to go to be worthy of a starting spot at Utd and to improve anythng.
I don't disagree with you, I've never really been impressed by Mount whenever I've watched Chelsea or England. Which made the sudden acceptance of the view of the caf that £50m was good value or Mount baffling to me.

Honestly I think Sabitzer for £15m and then use the rest to go for someone like Osimhen would've been the better play, but our transfer dealings in general are very erratic post-SAF.

MrBest

Can't believe some are writing him off already after a few pre season games where Hag is playing a new style and he is getting used to new team mates. I guess people are just expecting kerlon, for the guy to dribble the ball from top to bottom and knock it into the net.

Mount will be a top signing, he was not my first choice but that 21/22 season, he was class. Wouldn't bother looking at last year, was injured and Chelsea were just rubbish. 4 manager, 100 new signings and no consistency. Even Sterling looked like a league two player.

The United

Can't believe some are writing him off already after a few pre season games where Hag is playing a new style and he is getting used to new team mates. I guess people are just expecting kerlon, for the guy to dribble the ball from top to bottom and knock it into the net.

Mount will be a top signing, he was not my first choice but that 21/22 season, he was class. Wouldn't bother looking at last year, was injured and Chelsea were just rubbish. 4 manager, 100 new signings and no consistency. Even Sterling looked like a league two player.
What is this new style?

MrBest

What is this new style?
What I have noticed is us trying to overload the attack in a more aggressive way with the goalkeeper moving more to a sweeper keeper, then 3 at the back, one holding midfielder and 6 in attack. It allows us to transition up the pitch faster but requires better pressing at the top. It's not perfect for us just yet, but this how ETH liked to play at Ajax. The sweeper keeper acts as a fourth man in defence giving the perception we have more players on the pitch. Our average position on the pitch looks more advanced up the pitch.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
That is my only worry. Again again and again we buy attacking midfielders and try to convert them to play deeper role. It hapenned with Pogba, it hapenned with Eriksen, it's happening with Mount. Honestly, Eriksen was a bullseye, his defensive work is almost non existent if you look at tackles and interceptions, but his understanding of the game, passing, and quick brain is class.
I worry about Mount because he looks like a very vertical player, and one that runs channels and takes risky passing options. That is not what will make him effective in what United need him to be. Not once I've seen him dropping into deeper areas to help to progress the ball.

Unless we really intend to play #6 and two #10s (what II consider to be a suicidal tactic), we need Mount to transform into a different type of player. But if he doesn't, it's again a situation where it's hard to blame the player.

ForeverRed1

Let him atleast gain full match fitness and momentum in this team before you write him off. He’s literally played 3 first half’s of football in friendlies after being out since April.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Thats like saying he can swim better than a hamster, fly better than a snake and is stronger than a goldfish.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Debatable

zenith

People writing our players off and passing judgement over 110 minutes of pre season. Just wow.

The general norm used to be that players need a few months to settle in if not a full season. Even Casemiro has not looked great in pre season, nor have bruno, rashford or Sancho.

Give the process, the system a little time and it'll all come together in sure

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Was surprised at the posts in thread writing him off but then remembered this is the same forum which voted 85-86% in favor of booting off Rashford last season. So not surprised.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Debatable
It is debatable as we can't compare current teams to what was in the past, but it is a funny timing to make this comment after a team that uses inverted fullbacks, CBs playing as midfielders and a goalkeeper which biggest weakness is shotstopping has just won the treble.

Glorio

Maybe my expectations were somewhat low because I feel he's done Ok. I'm not even sure I expect much more than what I see now. He presses and tackles well, gets about providing an option for a pass, and when he gets the ball, he mostly passes forward with pace on the ball, and isn't wasteful in his passing, oh, he also makes late runs into the box which results in him getting a fair few chances (which he hasn't converted yet)

Perhaps the one thing I'll expect as he gets more confident is his carrying of the ball when the opportunity presents itself to cover ground, apart from that I expect more of the same, I just feel the more he plays, the more some of those forward passes he already makes will end up as assists.

I also expect he'll start to make better use of his scoring chances. We've already seen in Chelsea that he's a very viable goal threat