Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never understood him for England

Rarely saw it at Chelsea

Expect little else from him here
Have always said the same. I've never seen him have a good game, but always admitted to not watching much Chelsea.

Said I would give him time to reform my opinion and I still think its too early for me to judge.

I don’t know what role ETH sees him in. Why spend so much on a player and then not have a role for the guy?

I don’t know what role ETH sees him in.

He has mentioned - specifically - that he might play Mount in a role that is deeper than what he's used to (but that this is not a problem, since the player himself aims to be "multi-functional"), similar to the Eriksen situation (according to ETH himself: he has mentioned that he's using Eriksen deeper than the player himself is used to).

His critics will say that what this amounts (heh) to is using a couple of decidedly offensive midfielders in a role that requires traits they simply don't have, at least not to a suffcient degree to play said role on a regular basis against top opposition.

Please ignore the absolute shite performances he’s churned out for the last 18 months for club and country.

He assisted a goal in the Champions league final.

But he was Chelseas player of the season twice! As if we haven't gone that route before with Mata ...

He has mentioned - specifically - that he might play Mount in a role that is deeper than what he's used to (but that this is not a problem, since the player himself aims to be "multi-functional"), similar to the Eriksen situation (according to ETH himself: he has mentioned that he's using Eriksen deeper than the player himself is used to).

His critics will say that what this amounts (heh) to is using a couple of decidedly offensive midfielders in a role that requires traits they simply don't have, at least not to a suffcient degree to play said role on a regular basis against top opposition.

I get it, Eriksen looks knackered so bring in a younger player to take up a similar position. But Mount learns nothing about thr role without actually playing. Maybe when our stronger defence is back ETH starts to play a more offensive midfield, bit atm it just looks like another error in the market, and I think Mount's a decent enough player. Those that don't are pulling their hair our.

He is surplus in this team.

We have wasted 60M when we could (and should) have invested in a CB.

We knew Maguire wanted out and our medical dept should have monitored Licha better, and our analysis dept should have sawn that Varane was declining massively.

We should have not have signed Mount but a CB instead.

Broken club.

This move might have fecked his England career too. If you'd said during the last Euros or World Cup that Mount would be fit but nowhere near the England squad, I'd have been shocked.

Must say that I like Mount as a player, think he can bring a lot to the team but he's probably another player that doesn't have the attributes for this team. Mount likes to play little one twos, balls around the corner, pass and move but we don't play this way. Like Sancho and van de Beek.

ten Hag needs to find a solution but I think Mount will have to change how he plays to fit in.

I am sure there was a plan. Surely.... must have been right?

Anyway, i feel like were going to have a lot of the same conversations in this thread until he actually does something, like scores a winner or something. I feel like that is badly needed for him, but at the same time, we dont even see him get into our first team. And its not like were seeing him rotate with Bruno or similar.

Long term he may become a good signing, though I have my doubts, but currently he seems rather a expensive and pointless acquisition.

If he was sold in January what could we realistically expect?

Wages are going to be a thorn in our eye obviously.

Hasn't been given a proper chance. Ten Hag should be questioned about his plans for him because how do you chase this guy all summer and bench him every single game? It is shocking.

He has no role in the team and his only instruction as a sub seems to be to come on and press relentlessly. Mount is undoubtedly a good player who will succeed under almost any manager (he managed to look good under Lampard) but I'm losing faith in Ten Hag quickly.

The most pointless signing, why take up so much of the budget on a player we don’t apparently need?

We spent £100 million on him and Van de Beek when Bruno was in their positions, to never play them. Stuff like that sickens me.

Long term he may become a good signing, though I have my doubts, but currently he seems rather a expensive and pointless acquisition.

We overpaid for Antony but we did require a right winger, this transfer was one of the biggest mysteries ever. We simply didn't need another attacking midfielder, especially one who plays in the same position of our club captain who doesn't ever seem to require a rest.

Heads need to roll due to the recent transfer activity, manager, director of football, the whole lot!

The most pointless signing, why take up so much of the budget on a player we don’t apparently need?

We spent £100 million on him and Van de Beek when Bruno was in their positions, to never play them. Stuff like that sickens me.

It's self-sabotage when it's clear to anyone they aren't needed.

Not saying he is a bad player but if the intention was not to play him then why even buy him. Could have got a decent defensive mid for that money.

ETH deserves us an explanation.

Not saying he is a bad player but if the intention was not to play him then why even buy him. Could have got a decent defensive mid for that money.

I have a feeling ETH asked for a progressive centre midfielder who can quickly switch the direction of play. He had in mind somebody with a profile like Frenkie de Jong, the idiots in our recruitment department went and got him Mason Mount instead.

I can get why we sign him to replace VDB on the bench. But then why do we keep both VDB and Mount though?

Well, the intention of course was to play him. The problem is giving up on him quickly which is something he hasn't done with any other signing. The only thing that makes sense is that he wasn't actually his signing.

He is surplus in this team.

We have wasted 60M when we could (and should) have invested in a CB.

We knew Maguire wanted out and our medical dept should have monitored Licha better, and our analysis dept should have sawn that Varane was declining massively.

We should have not have signed Mount but a CB instead.

Broken club.

It was obvious to most fans too. This club is completely baffling. Kim Min-jae went to Bayern for €60m this summer, and we paid more for Mason Mount, who we didn’t even need.

And one we could have gotten for cheaper in January or on a free next summer. Sure we wouldn't be nailed on to get him at a later date but if he wasn't coming in to be a guaranteed starter, the transfer fee and wages just doesn't make sense. I would probably still be a bit miffed if he was playing regularly at RW this season, but his lack of minutes just feels like such a waste, when there are several other areas that could have been improved instead.

Our most pointless transfer for a long time, I'd say. I can't figure it out. I don't think he's a bad player, but I didn't see how he would fit in, and it's still very unclear. It's also not going to gel for him when he is getting the last five minutes in game we are either losing or trying to run out the clock.

I don't get what goes on in Ten Hag's head anymore.

Even if he bought him for the midfield and that's not worked out, he couldn't be any worse than Antony on the right.

Must wish he'd have gone to Liverpool.

he needs to play this season, and then the club needs to be smart. If he isnt fitting in we need to move him on while he still has some value. Dont string this along for a couple seasons until he is the next Donny, where we cant even get him out on loan.

Our most pointless transfer for a long time, I'd say. I can't figure it out. I don't think he's a bad player, but I didn't see how he would fit in, and it's still very unclear. It's also not going to gel for him when he is getting the last five minutes in game we are either losing or trying to run out the clock.
Predominantly cover for Bruno I assume but Bruno is rarely unavailable

i mean our most pointless still has to be alexis when we had martial and rashford both playing well at LW. But yeah i had hopes that the staff saw something in mount that said to them that he would crush it in a deeper role for us/whatever the hell system they wanted to implement. Not looking good right now though.

I don’t think it was a mistake, the manager has had to go right back to basics in survival mode to somehow ride out this form. He can’t play all the pretty players while Rashford walks around and Bruno loses the ball when we are getting over run. That’s why McT is back in there for example. Eriksen is also just playing better than him right now too. That’s a fact. I think this one singing was meant to cover Fred and Eriksen once he gets settled and I think he should be able to but we are pretty much back to the drawing board with Casemiro and the DM- box to box positions from what I’ve seen. It’s a pity. I think Mount is a good player at a good age and he will show it here once he has a defined role in a functional team. He’s a far far better all round footballer than Donny

This move might have fecked his England career too. If you'd said during the last Euros or World Cup that Mount would be fit but nowhere near the England squad, I'd have been shocked.
Knowing Southgate and his weird attachment to some of his loyalist such as Kalvin Phillips, Maguire; I wouldn't say it's that bad for Mount, who looks like another of his regular inclusion when fit.

Knowing Southgate and his weird attachment to some of his loyalist such as Kalvin Phillips, Maguire; I wouldn't say it's that bad for Mount, who looks like another of his regular inclusion when fit.
I think the difference with Maguire and moreso Phillips is the lack of quality replacements. You've now got Bellingham and Maddison performing at high levels and you also have Gallagher doing fine and playing regularly for Chelsea. That's not even considering other options such as Eze, JWP and even RLC. It's easy to drop Mount for one of those guys but a bit more difficult to drop Maguire for someone like Dunk or Phillips for Oliver Skipp.

Mount and Antony are the signings that will get ETH the chop. Can’t get in a poor side - doesn’t say much for either of them.
Antony won’t get minutes for any other decent manager. And mount won’t play a big part unless Lampard replaces ETH.

I think the difference with Maguire and moreso Phillips is the lack of quality replacements. You've now got Bellingham and Maddison performing at high levels and you also have Gallagher doing fine and playing regularly for Chelsea. That's not even considering other options such as Eze, JWP and even RLC. It's easy to drop Mount for one of those guys but a bit more difficult to drop Maguire for someone like Dunk or Phillips for Oliver Skipp.

If Mount had stayed, Gallagher would have most likely been sold and it would have been Mount in the midfield alongside Caicedo and Enzo. Gallagher offers a really nice balance for us and he's been great for us but I rate Mount several levels higher than Gallagher.

Mount was dropped from England before he signed for United though, wasn't he? Was he called for the spring international games last season? He might have been injured at the time anyway, can't remember.

If Mount had stayed, Gallagher would have most likely been sold and it would have been Mount in the midfield alongside Caicedo and Enzo. Gallagher offers a really nice balance for us and he's been great for us but I rate Mount several levels higher than Gallagher.

Mount was dropped from England before he signed for United though, wasn't he? Was he called for the spring international games last season? He might have been injured at the time anyway, can't remember.
I agree with your assessment of Gallagher and Mount and I believe Mount was injured for the last couple international breaks. He'd probably still be in the England squad if he stayed at Chelsea (ahead of Gallagher) but the way things have fallen it's not looking great for his prospects for England for the Euros next year at least.

£140M for Mount and Antony is just a terrible piece of business, could and should have got Kane for that and would still have change left over.

Status
Not open for further replies.