View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

acnumber9

Antony says hi.
That at least made sense from the perspective of needing a right winger. We’ve signed a mediocre number 10 and proceeded to move around a much better player to accommodate him and leave us completely exposed in the middle of the park. All because he can press.

Pronewbie

Peep
Southampton H, Tottenham H, Bournemouth H. 3 games to review pre-Greece. Guy was never good enough but fine cuts the mustard these days.

Mount will be the exact same, he’ll eventually have a good few games & people will extrapolate it to a period of time as they did with the likes of McFred.

Let’s return to Mount. Bang & Average.
You shouldn't be the one extrapolating with 3 games. Maguire was an instant upgrade on the defence that season and helped get us back to the CL, pipping Leicester. Our defence record that season improved drastically. No debate on positive, measurable outcomes. Most fans were satisfied with the signing even if we knew the club overpaid. Even had Mourinho lamenting about the club not signing Maguire in his final year.

Back to Mount. The jury is still out to be fair, but not only has he been bang average whenever I've watched him, he's probably not what we need this season or even down the line.

Fahad Jawaid

I don’t understand how can anybody who has seen him play, thinks he can become a controlling midfielder. His worst attribute is, he has lowest amount of passes and rarely gets involved in the buildup phase. Which is a necessity for a midfielder. He has always been an attacking midfielder with good control and one touch play in and around the box and ability to finish.

it’s the same player when he played for England, everyone here criticized and wanted Southgate to stop using him and only when he was substituted England used to play well during the World Cup. His criticism was that he was a ghost or a passenger and nobody could understand what he was doing.

Now the genius ETH thinks he can teach an old dog new tricks and make him play like Pirlo would be daft. He is not the player we should have signed and we should swallow our pride and use him either on the right or a sub for Bruno.

Our midfield should be Casemiro, Mctominay and Bruno for tough matches away. And Cas, Eriksen and Bruno for home matches against Cannon folders.

championo

Top Stalker
Fred 1.1 playing below Fred's standards at the moment. What did ETH see that made him a priority signing? The team is not currently set up correctly ,the players feel it, our opponents see it and exploit us. I am concern by the Wolves game and was not surprised by the second half display today.

Siorac

Antony says hi.
No no, that's quite different. He was a young right winger, a position we needed, someone who might have had the potential to kick on at a bigger club in a tougher league. In theory, it could have been a good signing. He's not but he's your garden variety failure, a mundane feck-up that happens at every club.

The Mount transfer just didn't make sense from the start. He wasn't an unknown quantity or some kid finding his feet. We all knew what he was about, he was a regular for England and Chelsea. And we bought him for a position he almost never played in his life and one he looks ill-suited for even on paper.

He'd be a fine squad player in a great team, a Bruno backup who is versatile enough to be given some specific tactical job in certain games - on the wing, for example. But as a starting no. 8 in the same midfield with Bruno Fernandes? It's just weird.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Fred 1.1 playing below Fred's standards at the moment. What did ETH see that made him a priority signing? The team is not currently set up correctly ,the players feel it, our opponents see it and exploit us. I am concern by the Wolves game and was not surprised by the second half display today.
Less like Fred, but more like Donny.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Antony made sense in theory. He is just a very mediocre player but a left footed inverted winger made sense.

Mount doesn’t make sense in theory. Plus, like Antony, he is not that good. Plus he would have been free next season. Plus we desperately needed a midfielder this season but spent the budget in a No.10.

Someone made a good analogy. Buying Mount in our position if the equivalent of having no food in the fridge, going into supermarket for shopping and spending all the money…to return with a big TV despite that you have a much better one at home.
That at least made sense from the perspective of needing a right winger. We’ve signed a mediocre number 10 and proceeded to move around a much better player to accommodate him and leave us completely exposed in the middle of the park. All because he can press.
No no, that's quite different. He was a young right winger, a position we needed, someone who might have had the potential to kick on at a bigger club in a tougher league. In theory, it could have been a good signing. He's not but he's your garden variety failure, a mundane feck-up that happens at every club.
We bought a vastly mediocre right winger for 80m when, by all accounts, we could have bought him for almost half that just a few months before.

That's pretty brainless.

Jezpeza

My biggest problem with this signing is that he clearly doesn't work in a midfield 3 with Bruno and Casemiro and he isn't better than Bruno so we’ve just blown 65 mil on a bench player whilst not adding the deeper midfield player we needed and now theres no more money unless we can sell the players who haven't sold despite being for sale all summer.

Witchking

My biggest problem with this signing is that he clearly doesn't work in a midfield 3 with Bruno and Casemiro and he isn't better than Bruno so we’ve just blown 65 mil on a bench player whilst not adding the deeper midfield player we needed and now theres no more money unless we can sell the players who haven't sold despite being for sale all summer.
So 50 million + 5 add ons is 65 million now is it?

El Jefe

I maintain he's better than this. He's just not a CM and especially not one to be played high up alongside Bruno.

He needs a CM to get him the ball in those advanced half spaces.

We know he's a system player and right now the system is dreadful, which means he'll be dreadful.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We bought a vastly mediocre right winger for 80m when, by all accounts, we could have bought him for almost half that just a few months before.

That's pretty brainless.
Also, like Mount, he wasn't the right profile we needed for the position. As I said at the time and got pelters for.

I think every signing bar Martinez and Onana (plus Malacia to a certain extent) has been terrible, but Mount is definitely the worst, though. They were at least addressing the positions that needed addressing. Mount is just another 10 on top of Bruno and Eriksen, and not even a better one at that.

Robindinho

Rather we had just kept Fred.

Chief123

Having spent so much money on him, we really need to start playing him now. There’s no point buying him if we aren’t going to play him.

FML

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I really hate going in on a player who’s not had much time but I haven’t got a clue what he offers. It’s baffling.

JSArsenal

I'm not a fan of Mount and I think Chelsea fleeced us for Havertz and you lot for Mount, but it's a bit early to judge Mount, no?

Jezpeza

I'm not a fan of Mount and I think Chelsea fleeced us for Havertz and you lot for Mount, but it's a bit early to judge Mount, no?
watch much england? never done anything in a chelsea or england shirt to warrant more than a 15 million fee.

Revan

Assumptionman

That's pretty brainless.
Antony was a very bad signing, completely agree. Just that it was the wrong player bought for the right position.

Mount is the wrong player bought for the wrong position, which is somehow even worse.

R'hllor

Maybe they want to mold him into something else but right now, him joining makes no sense on that type of money. Not to mention that Bruno being Bruno makes things even worse.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Antony was a very bad signing, completely agree. Just that it was the wrong player bought for the right position.

Mount is the wrong player bought for the wrong position, which is somehow even worse.
Ahhh isn't it nice that we can debate who are most baffling of all our ill judged signings are...

We should probably throw Donny in the mix too. Pointless.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
Not for me as I've watched him regularly since the youth team. What you're seeing is what you get. Have the team play well and he'll do a decent job, and rack up some numbers at least. Have the team play poorly and he will look lost. Good option off the bench, should never start regularly for a team with title aspirations. That's the reason the sporting directors at Chelsea rescinded the verbal contract offer. He and his dad overestimated his worth.

Jezpeza

Hard to take posts like this serious, and it doesn't look like you watched him for Chelsea.
But whats he done to justify that price tag?
I’ve seen drivel like ‘signed for his off the ball work’. What, he runs round lots?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Quite a few of us Chelsea fans on this forum tried to explain how weird it was that you were buying him for big money to play in a position that he never played for us. Really, of the midfielders we moved on this summer it’s actually Kova that would’ve made more sense for you guys next to Casemiro.

Mount’s “sweet spot” is around the edge of the box. He is just not a deeper CM. He was always a pure advanced, attacking midfielder who would occasionally play on the wing.

Revan

Assumptionman
Ahhh isn't it nice that we can debate who are most baffling of all our ill judged signings are...

We should probably throw Donny in the mix too. Pointless.
Donny was a relatively cheap Bruno backup. Who was shit.

I think that Sanchez, Maguire, Sancho, Antony and Mount have to be in our worst every signings and there are good arguments for either of them.

Kind of crazy how we have spent more than any other club in the last 5 years and there are a dozen clubs better than us. We could have potentially hired a monkey to throw darts at a list of players, buy them and end with a better squad.

zaafi

I’ve seen drivel like ‘signed for his off the ball work’. What, he runs round lots?
I don't think he's worth the price, but 15m gets you Elanga.

Mount had extremely good stats for a midfielder with 11 goals and 10 assists in a PL season, and then another where he created second most chances in the league, only beaten by Bruno. He also won CL, assisting the only goal in the final. Let's not pretend he's useless.

In any case, if we sign a new midfielder and change the system, he will be a very good squad/back-up/rotational player, or we will be able to sell him for most of what we paid for him. He is only 24.

Revan

Assumptionman
Quite a few of us Chelsea fans on this forum tried to explain how weird it was that you were buying him for big money to play in a position that he never played for us. Really, of the midfielders we moved on this summer it’s actually Kova that would’ve made more sense for you guys next to Casemiro.

Mount’s “sweet spot” is around the edge of the box. He is just not a deeper CM. He was always a pure advanced, attacking midfielder who would occasionally play on the wing.
Quote a few of our United fans said exactly the same thing. I celebrated when Chelsea rejected our ‘final’ offer. For only, our morons in charge, making another offer which Chelsea then accepted.

hobbers

Baffling the number of signings we’ve made in the last 5 seasons or so that the majority of fans could see was stupid long before they kicked a ball for us.

city-puma

We got him to replace Sabitzer. On paper, it should be a better setup. But the intensity and control can only last for 30 mins. We have issues to control and assert rhythm.

witchtrials

Maybe he can be a good option off the bench?

Seems pretty clear by now that a Fernandes, Casemiro and Mount midfield is far too porous.

We're already carrying passengers with Antony on one wing and with Garnacho who's green an needs the slack.

Whoever's taking that third spot in midfield needs to be not just tidy - they need to impose themselves on the game. Mount doesn't look a player that will do that.

CM

I really hate going in on a player who’s not had much time but I haven’t got a clue what he offers. It’s baffling.
This one has to go squarely on the shoulders of the manager, to be honest. I actually feel a little sorry for Mount. I don't particularly rate him and wasn't a fan of us signing him but I don't believe he is this bad. He's playing this way because that's how he's being instructed to play by the coaches. There's no way he would've started twice in a row playing exactly the same way if he wasn't.

This experiment was doomed to fail from the start. I feel the same way about Havertz at Arsenal if Arteta persists with that one too, but the difference is they've got HMPartey to call upon to reset the balance of the midfield once they realise it's a stupid idea. Right now we've only got Scott McTominay as an alternative, which is never a good situation to be in.

AFC NimbleThumb

You shouldn't be the one extrapolating with 3 games. Maguire was an instant upgrade on the defence that season and helped get us back to the CL, pipping Leicester. Our defence record that season improved drastically. No debate on positive, measurable outcomes. Most fans were satisfied with the signing even if we knew the club overpaid. Even had Mourinho lamenting about the club not signing Maguire in his final year.

Back to Mount. The jury is still out to be fair, but not only has he been bang average whenever I've watched him, he's probably not what we need this season or even down the line.
We can go back & forth about the merits of me writing off Maguire pretty much immediately, all I know is when he was ‘fine’ we won nothing & his greatest achievement was captaining us to the League Cup from the bench. Fine FC.

On Mount. I agree. All except the jury being out for you, it came in quickly for me. He’ll be a squad player by next Summer’s end.

Blood Mage

Woody would have been ripped apart for this signing, he adds nothing to the team that we didn't already have. Having a backup for Bruno is great and all but rather pointless when Bruno plays most games anyway. Brainless piece of business.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
More I think about it I can start to see ETH’s logic, not that I necessarily agree with it mind. I guess in a team where you have Bruno and Rashford as your main goal threat, you can give up on trying to play a possession game. So Mount signing is about making us more dynamic, having another player alongside Bruno that can win possession high up the pitch and find Rashford quickly.

All well and good except for the fact it’s not fecking working is it?

JSArsenal

watch much england? never done anything in a chelsea or england shirt to warrant more than a 15 million fee.
Do championship players even go for that nowadays?

Not for me as I've watched him regularly since the youth team. What you're seeing is what you get. Have the team play well and he'll do a decent job, and rack up some numbers at least. Have the team play poorly and he will look lost. Good option off the bench, should never start regularly for a team with title aspirations. That's the reason the sporting directors at Chelsea rescinded the verbal contract offer. He and his dad overestimated his worth.
This is fair but I think of Chaka under Wenger compared to Chaka under Arteta. A different team, different manager (well Mount is used to this) and maybe he'll come good.

I don't think he will but all I mean is that its early days.

santeria13

Sublemon
It seems like that's the defence that's used for both our last 2 marquee signings. What does Antony do well? 'They do good work defensively'. Total bollocks. So people are seriously arguing we spent 145m on two players who don't excel at anything but hey at least they 'put in a shift' ?