2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Acquire Me

It depends what we're expecting from him though. Its clear that ETH is a systems manager who values organisation and hard-work over individual skill and talent.

This is not about defending ETH either, I have actually been vocal about my belief were not improving and he's failing to implement 'his' football - but I do like the direction he's going in, with respect his signings.

I accept many fans will disagree with me. They want flair, skills, dribbles, beating defenders, goals from outside the box etc...whereas I much prefer hard-work, ball retention, ability to press, footballing IQ, ball control etc...

We see it with Antony. I happen to really like him, but he's not the player United fans are used to seeing in wide-areas for the club. Likewise, Mount isn't the type of AM were used to seeing at the club....but this is by design.

I mentioned in a post above that we need to build a platform of solid, reliable, hard-workers before we add the 'stardust' that transforms us from 'good' to 'great'. Personally I'm sick of the Rashford's, the Martial's, the Pogba's, the AdMs, the Depay's, the Mhiki's etc...that turn-up one game in four and are desperate the rest of the time.

We wonder why our form keeps swinging wildly from the sublime to the ridiculous. Its because those players' top level is high, but their base level is very low - and they don't work hard enough to cover for bad performances.

I personally want a team of Mount's, Amrabat's, Antony's and Hojlund's working their backsides off game in, game out, first and foremost. We can worry about flair and individual brilliance once we have that solidity. Appreciate that's my preference/opinion.
Good post. Missed it when you posted. But I agree completely. It’s obviously entertaining as hell with flair players who can do incredible stuff from time to time. But to make a team tick you need players who can do the less impressive jobs like ball retention, defensive and attacking press, control pace of the game, etc. Without those hard working players the team will never be able to produce great football.

So I am firmly behind Mount. He got what we need and he will be a very important player for us.

Antony is another example of a player with a great work ethic and a huge potential to be better in terms of scoring and assisting others.

I think Erik ten Hag will get his reward by sticking to his plan.

ForeverRed1

He’s a tidy little player but we need to work out how we’re going to deploy him in this side. The issue of him and Bruno playing together needs to be sorted and he needs a good run of games to find his feet. A couple assists and goals will help him massively.

henrysquire

Good post. Missed it when you posted. But I agree completely. It’s obviously entertaining as hell with flair players who can do incredible stuff from time to time. But to make a team tick you need players who can do the less impressive jobs like ball retention, defensive and attacking press, control pace of the game, etc. Without those hard working players the team will never be able to produce great football.

So I am firmly behind Mount. He got what we need and he will be a very important player for us.

Antony is another example of a player with a great work ethic and a huge potential to be better in terms of scoring and assisting others.

I agree entirely with all the points made. However, if this is the plan... then why do we persist with the wild swing players who make our performances so erratic? I'd much rather play Garnacho versus Rashford and Mount Vs Bruno.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He was available for a good price, why not buy that new cappuccino maker even if you don't drink cappuccino? In the mean time your washing machine is broken.
Well sort of.... but also not really

It's buying the Cappucino for 10% off, when actually if you'd waited a month you'd have got it for 30%... then 60% off in a few more months, and then in a year you can have it for free.

Matt851

But mount is a player who has previously thrived on transitions and not been particularly amazing at retaining possession. He isn't someone who dictates play. He also isn't an 8 and it really does feel like a square peg round hole type signing

I agree Antony has great potential to be better in terms of scoring and assisting but that's because he could hardly get any worse.

We do need more hard working players but hard work alone isn't enough in the too of half of the pl

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well sort of.... but also not really

It's buying the Cappucino for 10% off, when actually if you'd waited a month you'd have got it for 30%... then 60% off in a few more months, and then in a year you can have it for free.
Maybe we could of got him even cheaper if no other clubs were on to him, but WHY? We did not need him and it's clear that the trio of Case, Bruno and him doesn't work.

Idxomer

I still would like to know how Ten Hag reached the conclusion he could play Bruno and Mount together.

saik

So, he's really dropped? And we are still in October. Doesn't reflect well at all that we spent 55m on him and was our first priority this summer and to top it all off we gave him the #7.

evil_geko

So, he's really dropped? And we are still in October. Doesn't reflect well at all that we spent 55m on him and was our first priority this summer and to top it all off we gave him the #7.
It is injury/fitness problem ffs, of course he didn't "drop him". :lol:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It is injury/fitness problem ffs, of course he didn't "drop him". :lol:
Why are you laughing at someone, then suggesting something that you have no idea about, it's just your wishful thinking.

He's been back for almost a month, and played full games in which he run the most out of any player. And his injury wasn't even serious to begin with.

evil_geko

Why are you laughing at someone, then suggesting something that you have no idea about, it's just your wishful thinking.

He's been back for almost a month, and played full games in which he run the most out of any player. And his injury wasn't even serious to begin with.
Because it is extremely silly to say how ETH already "gave up on him" after two matches starting on the bench, of course it is laugh worthy ffs. :lol:

That is just wishful thinking from resident Mount haters.

Andre Kagawa

He's dropped. Or rather, ETH realized (like any sane person) that he's a 10 and can't play together with Bruno.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's dropped. Or rather, ETH realized (like any sane person) that he's a 10 and can't play together with Bruno.
Any sane man would’ve realised that without needing to buy him for £55m

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Because it is extremely silly to say how ETH already "gave up on him" after two matches starting on the bench, of course it is laugh worthy ffs. :lol:

That poster didn't say Ten Hag gave up on him, but rather stated the obvious that he is dropped, and is quite disappointed that our most expensive signing is dropped for another gane, while other underperformers play. All right reasons, you laughing at it and suggesting something that is not true is the real problem here.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don't understand how he can't eve get a start in this game. Yeah he was injured but was one of our better players since coming back and now can't get a game.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Unbelievable really. Your no1 signing on who you insisted and then after 2 months you don't know what to do with him.

evil_geko

That poster didn't say Ten Hag gave up on him, but rather stated the obvious that he is dropped, and is quite disappointed that our most expensive signing is dropped for another gane, while other underperformers play. All right reasons, you laughing at it and suggesting something that is not true is the real problem here.
Tons of posters said he already gave up on him, and of course he meant that with what he said, don't be silly.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Tons of posters said he already gave up on him, and of course he meant that with what he said, don't be silly.
I am the one being silly, but you said he is injured/lacking fitness without any further proof except your head?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

He didn't gave up but it is normal to expect that you no1 expensive signing will be key player in team. Not bench warmer.

Irwin99

Wouldn't read too much into it but I think the idea that he and Bruno could play in central midfield together or with one as a 10 was probably dropped pretty quickly. Does sort of beg the very reasonable question of why he was signed in the first place but I guess it's too early to judge yet.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Wouldn't read too much into it but I think the idea that he and Bruno could play in central midfield together or with one as a 10 was probably dropped pretty quickly. Does sort of beg the very reasonable question of why he was signed in the first place but I guess it's too early to judge yet.
I remember one his presser when he said that they both can play deeper and advanced and shit. So i guess his initial plan was to play them together as two advanced number 8s. But after Wolves and Spurs games he ditched that idea.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It was obvious to most of the CAF that this idea of Bruno playing alongside Mount was a big risk. Most of us expected United to sign a box to box midfielder. Someone who could add physicality to our midfield but also pass. How the club failed to find such a player, while sinking over £50m on another #10 to sit on the bench with Van de Beek, is a mystery. Just imagine we hadn't signed Mount and brought in Palhinha instead...

ti vu

Don't think that ideas being dropped yet. It's just that with our lack of goals and McTominay goal contribution earn him game time currently in order to allow us to grind result.

ElDiabloRojo

The bench is about right for him. But he needs more than a few minutes to get into some rhythm.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
;)

Which Tuesday were you on about? You were talking like you’ve been in the dressing room.
There could be quite a other reasons for him not starting, match fitness or injury being the main ones in my head.

If he is fit it's annoying hes not played. He can do better than Antony on the right at the very least.

AFC NimbleThumb

There could be quite a other reasons for him not starting, match fitness or injury being the main ones in my head.

If he is fit it's annoying hes not played. He can do better than Antony on the right at the very least.
No no no, you said & I quote. . .
Could you not see that he was being rested for Tuesday?
Then there was something about ‘knowing feck all’.

hobbers

£60m for the English Van de Beek.

ETH has no idea what to do with him. Not a clue.