View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Pronewbie

Peep
Just look at Mount's stats for us in the PL. He's mostly invisible. The fact that Bruno arguably deserves to play ahead of him despite his atrocious form is an indictment on the former. Maybe he can be retrained for the Eriksen role but I am not holding my breath.

crossy1686

career ending
No. The blokes been here five minutes.
He was shite at Chelsea as well, it's not like he was putting in massive performances and we were all talking about him. He was on par with a good Lingard at best for them. Why don't you let us know when you've realised he's shit and then we can talk about it then?

saivet

I'm not a fan of his in general and didn't think he was the right type of midfielder to go for but surprised that ETH seems to already be going against his preferred midfield setup of Mount and Bruno as the 8s. I suspect he'll only try it again when/if we start playing well.

If he think it was a mistake I can't really give any credit to him as it was ETH who pushed to sign him. I suppose again it comes down to not having an effective recruitment strategy, simply just signing who he wants, as long as they don't seem the move to be crazy.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Why do people keep saying that? They played over half their main team that also played us a few days later in the Premier League, so why does it not matter?
Because it doesn’t. They rested all their best players and played at a cruising pace in a competition they very clearly did not care about. It was a nothing game that for some reason has grown into this legendary performance for the ages, which just goes to show how low our standards are.

OrcaFat

Although Ten Hag is not afraid to make tough calls, I think he’s been weak on this one. He’s seemingly brought into some sort of ‘it would be unfair to drop McTominay after he scored a couple’ idea, even though he likely knows that McTominay is a poor midfielder and cannot do the basics of the midfield requirements that Ten Hag has. We need the 8 to come and get on the ball, get it from Case or Amrabat and help progress it. McTominay can’t do that. Mount can. But McTominay scored.

Maybe he recognises that we are so hopeless at playing football that the mere fact that McTominay might score a goal trumps whatever nonsense plan he has for controlling a game. Same logic has applied with Bruno for ages anyway. The fact that at any moment, he ‘might create a goal’ supersedes any tactical benefit, because the football is so shit anyway that the tactics don’t really matter.

I wouldn’t have signed Mount. But he is not a poor midfielder. He’s just not a great one, but he’s certainly a ‘good one’. McTominay isn’t, and Mount should be playing. Whatever plan Ten Hag had with his transfer policy in the summer seems to be on hold already.
Yeah, I’m expecting Mount to come back in now. I think McT was only played because of his recent knack of scoring (when goals are so hard to come by at the moment). The streak is over!

Skills

Snitch
Still waiting to know - why we HAD to sign him this summer for £50m, rather than wait and get him on a free next summer?

Highfather_24

Weird because it looked like he was finding his feet before being suddenly dropped post international break.

Highfather_24

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek but he didn't play in last 2 games, after he had an international break.
It seems like he's the victim of "you can't play both Bruno and Mount at the same time". Unfair victim imo. But not unexpected, considering Bruno is ETHs captain.
Which begs the question why did we buy a Bruno backup for 55M. A lot of us knew in summer that we need a proper Eriksen upgrade in CM. Not a #10 like Mount.

Giggsyking

We never learn, but this time everyone knew it is a bad signing but we still did it. Q

zaafi

Because it doesn’t. They rested all their best players and played at a cruising pace in a competition they very clearly did not care about. It was a nothing game that for some reason has grown into this legendary performance for the ages, which just goes to show how low our standards are.
You're underrating Mount's ability a bit.

You know he has 11 goals and 10 assists in like 2300 minutes two seasons back and scored against Porto and Real Madrid in the quarter and semi final and then had an excellent assist in the sole goal in the final against City? He was vital to Chelsea's success in the toughest cup in the world.

I'm not saying he is the answer, but he is playing in a new position and in an underperforming, badly coached team. He isn't a nothing player. Can't really judge a player for not delivering when we're not playing him to his strengths.

Sarni

You're underrating Mount's ability a bit.

You know he has 11 goals and 10 assists in like 2300 minutes two seasons back and scored against Porto and Real Madrid in the quarter and semi final and then had an excellent assist in the sole goal in the final against City? He was vital to Chelsea's success in the toughest cup in the world.

I'm not saying he is the answer, but he is playing in a new position and in an underperforming, badly coached team. He isn't a nothing player. Can't really judge a player for not delivering when we're not playing him to his strengths.
I think Mount is a decent, even good player, who is a terrible fit for a team we currently have. He can’t play next to Bruno and ETH will never drop Bruno.

Martial

He's absolute shite, which everyone who isn't delusional has been saying for months, and now it seems Ten Hag has realised that too.

There were posters defending Van de Beek for years when it was already obvious he was shite too.

zaafi

I think Mount is a decent, even good player, who is a terrible fit for a team we currently have. He can’t play next to Bruno and ETH will never drop Bruno.
Yeah, fair enough. Don't know what Ten Hag was thinking with this one :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Still waiting to know - why we HAD to sign him this summer for £50m, rather than wait and get him on a free next summer?
For reasons unknown, Liverpool and Arsenal were hot on him too. I guess the rationale was sign him now or lose him to a rival

OrcaFat

He's absolute shite, which everyone who isn't delusional has been saying for months, and now it seems Ten Hag has realised that too.

There were posters defending Van de Beek for years when it was already obvious he was shite too.
I assume you are just trying to make a point by comparing him to Donny because they are not at a similar level at all.

Mount has had two or three decent games for us already, despite mostly being injured. He’s not absolute shite. He is what he is, a good pressing, linking midfielder. Average on the ball but capable of contributing. He’s a good team player. He’s probably about what you can expect for the money we paid. He’ll be here for a few years and will show something of value in that period. I would think he’ll play more than half the games and at times will put in excellent performances and the rest of the time he’ll put in good effort. It’s not sexy but it’s not shite.

OldTrevil

He should have played instead of McT and most likely our first would not have been as bad. I could be wrong but I don't think McT had more than 1 successful forward pass in the first half.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I questioned this signing from the beginning, not because he's a bad player but because he isn't what we needed.
We needed someone that can create from deep (basically a younger, more defensive Eriksen).

Andre Kagawa

Still irritates me he was given the #7. I know it's just a fecking number. Still irritating.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
For reasons unknown, Liverpool and Arsenal were hot on him too. I guess the rationale was sign him now or lose him to a rival
I think this is probably it. He likely wouldn't have been available on a free and if you look at how we're performing now, Liverpool would be the better option. He's HG and he is a good player, it's just not working out for him right now, but I expect him to be far better in a more functional team.

Kablamo

Supports
Chelsea
Imagine having Kovacic, Havertz and Mount in the same team.

Ineffective FC. I honestly don't know what you, City and Arsenal saw in them.

Lyng

Or we actually played well that game and made them look much worse.

Cloud7

Imagine having Kovacic, Havertz and Mount in the same team.

Ineffective FC. I honestly don't know what you, City and Arsenal saw in them.
Kovacic is a good player but I’m stumped as to what us and arsenal were up to. Chelsea probably could not believe how much money they were able to get for Mount and Havertz

Sarni

Or we actually played well that game and made them look much worse.
We played well in a game against a collection of players that wouldn't make it out of Championship. If you try to name Palace five best players, none of them were even on the pitch.

The amount of attention people pay to that one particular game as a proof that we can be good at football goes to show how far our expectations have fallen. A League Cup game against a weakened Palace side is a highlight of our season.

Lyng

We played well in a game against a collection of players that wouldn't make it out of Championship. If you try to name Palace five best players, none of them were even on the pitch.

The amount of attention people pay to that one particular game as a proof that we can be amazing at football is astounding, and as said before, goes to show how far our expectations have fallen.
We have played worse teams since and looked shite....

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He must be the first instance of a player that gets worse when he doesn't play. What makes it even more ridiculous, his direct competitor has been very poor this season, yet it's Mount who gets the short straw as they both can't play together in the system ETH is pushing for strongly.
It's not like Mount has been putting in great performances, but he was decent since he came back from injury so it does feel kind of unfair he's not even getting 30mins in Bruno position.

Thiagoal

I'm not a fan of his in general and didn't think he was the right type of midfielder to go for but surprised that ETH seems to already be going against his preferred midfield setup of Mount and Bruno as the 8s. I suspect he'll only try it again when/if we start playing well.

If he think it was a mistake I can't really give any credit to him as it was ETH who pushed to sign him. I suppose again it comes down to not having an effective recruitment strategy, simply just signing who he wants, as long as they don't seem the move to be crazy.
I think ETH and the whole world can see that having those two as 8’s causes us to be way too open and teams can walk through our midfield (no matter who is playing CDM) The only way Mount can be incorporated is in place of Bruno (never going to happen) or if he’s played out of position say on the right wing. The other option would be to play 4 centre mids and two up top. This won’t work though as our current full back options are garbage. In summery we wasted 60 million on someone that does not fit into our team. Essentially we have bought another Van de Beek!

lex talionis

I’m not in the Mount is shite camp, but I can’t deny doubts are creeping in that this was a huge blunder by ETH…potentially a second Antony.

Oldyella

I’m not in the Mount is shite camp, but I can’t deny doubts are creeping in that this was a huge blunder by ETH…potentially a second Antony.
Antony plays though. It's hard to judge Mount given the lack of game time, we know Antony is lacklustre.

Sooner we get a stronger team in place the better.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think ETH and the whole world can see that having those two as 8’s causes us to be way too open and teams can walk through our midfield (no matter who is playing CDM) The only way Mount can be incorporated is in place of Bruno (never going to happen) or if he’s played out of position say on the right wing. The other option would be to play 4 centre mids and two up top. This won’t work though as our current full back options are garbage. In summery we wasted 60 million on someone that does not fit into our team. Essentially we have bought another Van de Beek!
He can be played deeper and between CDM and Bruno (I think we can safely assume he will always play under Ten Hag). That isn't ideal, but million times better than pushing Bruno deeper and play Mount in van de Beek role.
Basically what we thought we're buying him for, until we saw 4123 formation in action.

Mount has never been used as an actual midfielder at United as far as I know. If we're experimenting with McTominay as second striker, I don't see why we don't give Mount a go in midfield. Otherwise, it is possibly the most pointless transfer we've made in years (again, doesn't seem like Bruno is getting subbed anytime soon).

Sarni

It wasnt palace minus all their best though.
It was. If I was to name Palace's five best players, none of them were on the pitch (for various reasons, 3 of them rested, 2 of them injured).

Henderson; Clyne Holding Richards Mitchell; Rak-Sakyi Doucoure Riedewald; Ayew Mateta Schlupp

That's a depressing team. They did not have their two center halves (Guehi and Andersen), and none of their primary front three (Eze, Olise and Edouard), and also rested possibly their best midfielder Hughes, and had Lerma unavailable (admittedly they don't seem to even have any truly good midfielders). I don't know how anyone can have a look at the team they fielded and think it was a strong one.

I think Mitchell and Doucoure normally are the only ones who make it into their strongest 11 which would look like:

Johnstone; Ward Andersen Guehi Mitchell; Doucoure Hughes Lerma; Eze Edouard Olise

Could be that one of the midfielders that started would be ahead of Lerma though, not entirely sure. Either way that team included 2 or 3 of their best XI, and none of their best best players.

Last edited:

zaafi

It was. If I was to name Palace's five best players, none of them were on the pitch (for various reasons, 3 of them rested, 2 of them injured).

Henderson; Clyne Holding Richards Mitchell; Rak-Sakyi Doucoure Riedewald; Ayew Mateta Schlupp

That's a depressing team. They did not have their two center halves (Guehi and Andersen), and none of their primary front three (Eze, Olise and Edouard), and also rested possibly their best midfielder Hughes, and had Lerma unavailable (admittedly they don't seem to even have any truly good midfielders). I don't know how anyone can have a look at the team they fielded and think it was a strong one.

I think Mitchell and Doucoure normally are the only ones who make it into their strongest 11 which would look like:

Johnstone; Ward Andersen Guehi Mitchell; Doucoure Hughes Lerma; Eze Edouard Olise

Could be that one of the midfielders that started would be ahead of Lerma though, not entirely sure. Either way that team included 2 or 3 of their best XI, and none of their best best players.
As opposed to us who played Garnacho, Mejbri, Pellistri, Martial, Maguire and Amrabat as left-back. Truly a team of greats.

Of course it wasn't a strong team, but if you can't see that we played well in that game, I don't even know what to tell you. It is possible to play a good game of football even if the other team doesn't field their best players. We played very well, linked up brilliantly and had some very good attacking sequences. Joachim Andersen or Guehi wouldn't stop Mason Mount making brilliant passes from midfield position :confused:

Is it really that difficult to admit he had a good game without making an unnecessary comment about how bad Palace was? Anyway, he has had good performances other than that.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
So is he not fully fit yet?
I never wanted to sign him, but ETH already giving up on him would be even more laughable than him wanting him in the first place.
So I assume he isn’t ready yet (despite being on the bench).