View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

United888

Didn't even play when he was fit.
He started the first two games then injured. Came back from injuries in Palace game and started 3 games in a row, since then he missed couple of games and being on the benched due to ill and injuries. Technically, he started when he was full match fitness.

Last edited:

izec

Mount has played 626 minutes in a United shirt. So basically 7 games and you would cut your losses and sell him?

After 7 games!!!
Are you always that patient?
i was against this signing from the first rumours. He is not good enough, saw him for England and Chelsea. Once Erics failed Bruno/Mount experiment did not work, as expected, he is a squad player now. We can get good money for him, as he is English and hard working.

No point in waiting for him to click, it never will. And even if it sort of does, it is not worth it, we can get that from another player in the squad. He is nothing special, even at his best.

The most expensive pointless signing in the history of the club. With the other expensive flops, you could see why we bought them, not here.

Last edited:

SecondFig

i was against this signing from the first rumours. He is not good enough, saw him for England and Chelsea. Once Erics failed Bruno/Mount experiment did not work, as expected, he is a squad player now. We can get good money for him, as he is English and hard working.

No point in waiting for him to click, it never will. And even if it sort of does, it is not worth it, we can get that from another player in the squad. He is nothing special, even at his best.
Counter point, he's been player of the year multiple times at Chelsea, and I believe during his loan in the Eredivisie. He might not be the most talented player purely in terms of technique, but he has a lot to offer in a cohesive team, the fact that he's not shone in our clusterf**k of a team during his injury hit first season should in no way be used to judge him. We have a lot of players we need to replace, Mount should be a long way down that list.

Pronewbie

Peep
Counter point, he's been player of the year multiple times at Chelsea, and I believe during his loan in the Eredivisie. He might not be the most talented player purely in terms of technique, but he has a lot to offer in a cohesive team, the fact that he's not shone in our clusterf**k of a team during his injury hit first season should in no way be used to judge him. We have a lot of players we need to replace, Mount should be a long way down that list.
Disagree. This is how we end up with all the overpaid dross in our squad that we can't move on. If he's not fit for purpose, sell.

SecondFig

Disagree. This is how we end up with all the overpaid dross in our squad that we can't move on. If he's not fit for purpose, sell.
Right, but we don't know that he's not fit for purpose because he's barely played and when he has its been part of a totally dysfunctional side in which nobody seems to know what they're meant to be doing. If I was judging our players purely on performances this season I'm not sure I'd be keen on keeping anyone apart from Garnacho and Mainoo - but that's because we've been a complete mess this season. I'd want to see Mount given a chance to show what he can do before we bin him, especially as (imo) we need to bin off Martial, McTominay, Maguire, Varane, Eriksen, Sancho, Greenwood, and Casemiro. And there are big question marks still over Rashford, Onana, AWB, Dalot, and Lindelof. That's all assuming we don't actually sign Amrabat of course.

My point is that shifting Mount should be nowhere near a priority for us as a club.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Dele Alli was a capable youngster, too.

Fact of the matter is, over the course of the past 18 months for club and country, he's been utter dog shit. And it hasn't improved since signing for us. To make it even worse, we are trying to retrain him into a position he isn't familiar with. Shite in his favoured position, so we can only imagine how a new position is going to turn out.
Dele Alli's career collapsed thanks to his mental health problems. Also Mount playing 8 isn't new. He spent his loan spells in Holland and ag Derby in the role. Its Chelsea who chose to play him higher up. ETH didn't just sign a player to operate in a new role alien to them

Giggsyking

Nobody seen this coming (the failure of this transfer), everybody expected high rate of success.
Not

Zed is not dead

I never rated him to be honest, but he has excellent work rate and is good off the ball, which are two areas where we’ve been lacking in midfield, so I‘m willing to reserve my judgement until he actually plays

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Based on what exactly?

He has looked completely anonymous in pretty much every minute of football her has played for us so far.

And was struggling to get in an unperforming chelsea team when fit last season.

Other than blind faith, what else is there to be optimistic about regarding his return?
Mount played every league game last season he was fit for, starting all but three where he came on as a sub. Hell, he played in every CL and cup game as well, with most of those also being starts. So he literally played in every game he was available for, albeit there was one game in the CL that he only came on for the final two minutes. He was hardly struggling to get into the team.

He's only played the equivalent of 7 games for us. He missed the last few months of last season, joined a new club, played a few pre-season games then had two league games before getting injured for a month again. Came back and played for just over a month, then got injured again. So it's not like he's had any kind of consistent game time to get himself into form. He's barely played in the last 11 months so it's expected that he'll take a bit of time to get up to speed.

Am I confident he'll come good? No. But it's way too early to be writing him off entirely.

Crimson King

Mount played every league game last season he was fit for, starting all but three where he came on as a sub. Hell, he played in every CL and cup game as well, with most of those also being starts. So he literally played in every game he was available for, albeit there was one game in the CL that he only came on for the final two minutes. He was hardly struggling to get into the team.

He's only played the equivalent of 7 games for us. He missed the last few months of last season, joined a new club, played a few pre-season games then had two league games before getting injured for a month again. Came back and played for just over a month, then got injured again. So it's not like he's had any kind of consistent game time to get himself into form. He's barely played in the last 11 months so it's expected that he'll take a bit of time to get up to speed.

Am I confident he'll come good? No. But it's way too early to be writing him off entirely.
I actually thought he looked decent in the matches he did play as well, especially given how much some have struggled this season.

I'm not sure exactly what role he'll play when he's fit as the 2 attacking 8s really hasn't worked, we just don't have the DM/CBs to get away with it against most sides. Long term though, I think he could be a less chaotic Bruno and replace him in the side.

He's the captain and most productive player though, so I'm not sure when, or even if, you want to start phasing him out...

Leethal

Dele Alli's career collapsed thanks to his mental health problems. Also Mount playing 8 isn't new. He spent his loan spells in Holland and ag Derby in the role. Its Chelsea who chose to play him higher up. ETH didn't just sign a player to operate in a new role alien to them
Isn't Mount out allegedly due to mental health issues?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mount can play as an 8 comfortably.
According to what?
I fully expect him to long term take over Eriksen's deeper role, whilst having the engine, defensive dilligence and tactical acumen to execute it better. Thanks to injury since he arrived he has never got a chance to in settle and make it work. I have almost not doubt with a fit and in form Mount, a 4-1-4- 1 works because he has the tactical understanding, engine and defensive diligence to fall back in time to support the line pivot, alongside one of our fullbacks inverted.
What 'defensive diligence'? Outside of tackles made high up the field when counter-pressing, Mount is just as much of a non-entity defensive as the rest of our no.10's masquerading as central midfielders. I don't really know what 'tactical acumen' means, really. Repeating something vague doesn't make it anymore true.

Mason Mount is a low volume, inaccurate passer who isn't exceptionally creative or progressive, is below average defensively as his stats show, and isn't especially great at carrying the ball the forward or retaining under pressure.

Mason Mount actually excels at playing higher up the field; winning the ball through high press, and receiving passes played through to him in forward empty spaces off the ball.

None of this is to do with not playing at full fitness or people being pessimistic -- this is a player we've all seen play quite closely for England and Chelsea for the past 4 years.

With the personnel we have at our disposal in midfield, he adds little and most likely by replacing McTominay and slotting him in beside captain Fernandes will result in an equally imbalanced midfield to what we already have, just swapping some of McTominay's strengths and weaknesses with Mount's.

Doracle

I thought he was a terrible signing for the price/wages but the reality is that he hasn’t had enough opportunity yet to show what he can do.

The key question is whether ETH has ditched the idea of playing him alongside Bruno or whether his sub role before his latest absence was more due to injury/fitness concerns. Will be very interesting to see how ETH handles it once Mason is fit.

FerociousCorgis

whats the word on his return? Honestly shocked he has 12 appearances it says at the top, considering feel like he hasnt played at all this season

Ludens the Red

According to what?

What 'defensive diligence'? Outside of tackles made high up the field when counter-pressing, Mount is just as much of a non-entity defensive as the rest of our no.10's masquerading as central midfielders. I don't really know what 'tactical acumen' means, really. Repeating something vague doesn't make it anymore true.

Mason Mount is a low volume, inaccurate passer who isn't exceptionally creative or progressive, is below average defensively as his stats show, and isn't especially great at carrying the ball the forward or retaining under pressure.

Mason Mount actually excels at playing higher up the field; winning the ball through high press, and receiving passes played through to him in forward empty spaces off the ball.

None of this is to do with not playing at full fitness or people being pessimistic -- this is a player we've all seen play quite closely for England and Chelsea for the past 4 years.

With the personnel we have at our disposal in midfield, he adds little and most likely by replacing McTominay and slotting him in beside captain Fernandes will result in an equally imbalanced midfield to what we already have, just swapping some of McTominay's strengths and weaknesses with Mount's.
Yeah all this really, Would take the most incredible tactical shift from us to ever make that work. One Ten Hag has proven he’s not up to.
Honestly, dunno wtf that poster is on about. But arguin with him is like arguing with a brick wall.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
According to what?

A full season in the Eredivisie in the role and a good chunk of his year in the championship with Derby doing the same. Which is what rose him to prominence in the first place....

Frankly I don't see why I'm having to defend his capablity as a player yet I'm not even his biggest fan. If you don't rate him and think him a luxury defensive passenger of a player ETH foolishly bought, that's your prerogative. We can agree to disagree

Last edited:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Certainly wasn’t the signing we needed. We needed more of a number 8. Someone who’s comfortable on the ball and can Carry it. We also need a bit of physicality in the middle. We’re to weak.

Juicy Juiced

Certainly wasn’t the signing we needed. We needed more of a number 8. Someone who’s comfortable on the ball and can Carry it. We also need a bit of physicality in the middle. We’re to weak.
Baffling signing.
He can't carrie or hold the ball, he is more 1-2 player. We needed someone like Eriksen but we bought english Van De Beek. What is sad, mayority of the forum was against his singning.
Need to move him while he still have some value.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
There are countless videos made when he signed saying his main use would be to carry the ball between the lines. It's one of his strengths ffs.

He's be injured, and oddly used, but I think he's going to have a huge second half of the season for us. If he's fit and playing. Smart player, disciplined and has some quality. No idea how people have erased the past few years of his career.

lex talionis

Obviously not the shrewdest business of squad building but here he is now. I'd like to see him get some starts over Bruno to see what he can do if given a chance. If not that, then a completely pointless signing, with all 60m plus his wages being shoveled straight into the furnace, week after week.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There are countless videos made when he signed saying his main use would be to carry the ball between the lines. It's one of his strengths ffs.

He's be injured, and oddly used, but I think he's going to have a huge second half of the season for us. If he's fit and playing. Smart player, disciplined and has some quality. No idea how people have erased the past few years of his career.
Given last season he was injured for most of the year like this year, the concern is he's going the Martial route with fitness. The other concern is that his "very good seasons" were basically the equivalent of playing Bruno's role for us, but to a lower level than Bruno. But we already have Bruno, who is our captain, so a bit pointless. The 3rd concern is team balance. It's a simple question of what midfield looks more balanced, even if you ignore Ten Hag's system and look at any future potential manager. What route do you want to go?
Option 1:
CF
LW Bruno RW
Mainoo or Casemiro

LW CF RW
Mount Bruno
Casemiro
For me, that 2nd option just is not working. And if we go a 4-3-3, then I'd rather still use Mainoo as the 8 ahead of Mount as he's a natural in that role, whereas Mount is just a different type of player. So either Mount is a stupidly expensive backup for Bruno, or we just get rid of one of the two. I'd rather keep the better player who is our captain and who is always fit.

Cathy Ferguson

Given last season he was injured for most of the year like this year, the concern is he's going the Martial route with fitness. The other concern is that his "very good seasons" were basically the equivalent of playing Bruno's role for us, but to a lower level than Bruno. But we already have Bruno, who is our captain, so a bit pointless. The 3rd concern is team balance. It's a simple question of what midfield looks more balanced, even if you ignore Ten Hag's system and look at any future potential manager. What route do you want to go?
Option 1:
CF
LW Bruno RW
Mainoo or Casemiro

LW CF RW
Mount Bruno
Casemiro
For me, that 2nd option just is not working. And if we go a 4-3-3, then I'd rather still use Mainoo as the 8 ahead of Mount as he's a natural in that role, whereas Mount is just a different type of player. So either Mount is a stupidly expensive backup for Bruno, or we just get rid of one of the two. I'd rather keep the better player who is our captain and who is always fit.
Just like most fans said during the summer. Mount is not what we need in midfield, not least when we play Rashford and Garnacho who do not like to track back.

bosnian_red

Just like most fans said during the summer. Mount is not what we need in midfield, not least when we play Rashford and Garnacho who do not like to track back.
Garnacho I'd say is a more typical winger output defensively, Rashford of course is a 0 with it, but even ignorning the wingers I just don't see how we get that midfield balanced with Mount next to Bruno, or more importantly performing to a high enough level. Or simply a higher level than our other options, which is Casemiro next to Mainoo. It just didn't make sense.

bosnian_red

Listening to the latest stick to football pod with Lampard as the guest, and he talked about mount a bit. Obviously he's a huge fan but he was pretty honest about not understanding the plan of signing Mount, and seeing he only really plays where Bruno plays, and Bruno is the captain who never gets injured. They talked about how mount compares to Lampard, and Lampard really pushed that he was a more advanced player and more comfortable in those areas and he didn't see him as someone who was comfortable in deeper areas.

Just a weird one all around and you wonder how we'll deal with yet another player on huge wages who doesn't have a set role.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Listening to the latest stick to football pod with Lampard as the guest, and he talked about mount a bit. Obviously he's a huge fan but he was pretty honest about not understanding the plan of signing Mount, and seeing he only really plays where Bruno plays, and Bruno is the captain who never gets injured. They talked about how mount compares to Lampard, and Lampard really pushed that he was a more advanced player and more comfortable in those areas and he didn't see him as someone who was comfortable in deeper areas.

Just a weird one all around and you wonder how we'll deal with yet another player on huge wages who doesn't have a set role.
Yeah that was interesting. And as you say, makes an already confusing signing even more so.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

The most confusing this is that pretty much every fan with a bit of sense realised that the signing was nonsensical, I get fans want to be optimistic about new signings but Mount didn’t make any sense to us at all. It might have made sense if we’re planning to move Fernandes on, but Ten Hag has then tried to implement a system to accommodate both players that’s left the team so exposed that Fernandes would likely outlast him anyway. Was a stupid, stupid signing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Which is what so many of us suggested, but we were shot down for not seeing some sort of masterful tactical grand plan.

I don't know what Erik ten Hag or Mikel Arteta were thinking when they signed Mason Mount and Kai Havertz. All either have done (or will do when the latter is fit) is impose awkward imbalances into their respective midfields whilst being on large sums of money and costing even larger transfer fees. I think Mount is the better individual player of the two, but what good is that when he just doesn't fit properly?

luke511

Probably the club’s dumbest signing ever. One that really makes me question and doubt Ten Hag’s intelligence. I feel bad for Mount as it’s not on him, and he could still prove to be a good squad player once the midfield is properly fixed, but feck me what a waste of £55 million. Murtough is a brainless plum that needs volleying out the club.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

If Frank Lampard is mystified about how ETH intends to get the best out of Mason Mount then I'd consider that a ringing endorsement of the signing. I suspect Frank Lampard is mystified about how to tie his shoe laces every morning. Based on what we've seen from Mount at United so far it's pretty obvious that ETH has no intention of playing him in deeper areas. Although it's not surprising that Fwank didn't pick up on this, as it's very much in keeping with his tactical acumen as a manager so far.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
Probably the club’s dumbest signing ever. One that makes really me question and doubt Ten Hag’s intelligence. I feel bad for Mount as it’s not on him, and he could still prove to be a good squad player once the midfield is properly fixed, but feck me what a waste of £55 million. Murtough is a brainless plum that needs volleying out the club.
United going for Mount was the first real moment that made me question what ETH was doing. I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he had a plan and knew what he was doing. But the first few appearances didn't show that to be the case.

Reminds me of when we got Mata simply because he was the best player on the market in January. Then quickly realised that he can't really play because Rooney was playing there