View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The plan always was Mount at #8. There's no way Ten Hag would put all his chips on Mainoo doing as well as he did even if he thought he was ready. Mainoo was back up / a player who got a cup game here and there at best this season.

There were early games when everyone was available when he went with Mount, Bruno, DM.
Mainoo wouldn't have been expected to be first choice at the start of the season, but he certainly wasn't going to just be 'a player who got a cup game here and there'. His performances in preseason, the way ETH mentioned him a number of times, the fact he was bought straight into the team when he did return...it was obvious we were coming into the season with the intention of him playing quite a lot. Once Mount picked up that early injury and struggled for form, I expect Mainoo would have been given first chance at that role rather than McTominay.

Leethal

So when I look at Mount’s signing, I ask myself “was he worth signing for 55m?”. I think it’s the only question worth asking. I don’t ask myself “Was he worth signing for 55m when he had one year left on his deal?”, because the remaining duration of his previous contract has no bearing on his value to our squad.
What? It absolutely does. We’re already flirting with FFP (limiting our spending), and we spunked £60m on this waste of space, who has barely even kicked a ball (even when he’s playing). His price is massively relevant, and historically, as you know, has a huge influence on the transfer fee. To say otherwise is ludicrous.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
What? It absolutely does. We’re already flirting with FFP (limiting our spending), and we spunked £60m on this waste of space, who has barely even kicked a ball (even when he’s playing). His price is massively relevant, and historically, as you know, has a huge influence on the transfer fee. To say otherwise is ludicrous.
I think what I am saying is very evidently going over your head. Because what you’ve gotten so upset about, is not what I’ve said at all.

Malons

What 'performances' is this thread reacting to?

It's the 'I haven't said he was a waste of money for at least a fortnight, so I must correct this' thread.

Cloud7

While I don't rate Mount, and didn't when he was at Chelsea, I would like to see how the team looks with him in place of Bruno. It's at least something to try after the team has been dependent on Bruno for so long. What I do not want to see is him alongside Bruno, as I feel like that leaves our midfield too lightweight and open.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Hits the nail on the head.

The guy is injured. He clearly needs time to get fully fit again and if we want him to stay healthy, we should do the rehabilitation properly. There’s no point people getting angry at an injured player. It’s not his fault. As you have said, he was grossly overplayed for a number of years and is now paying the price.

Im worried about us doing the same thing to Mainoo. A young athletes body changes a lot from 17 to 21/22, and their minutes should be managed accordingly. We’ve seen this before with young talents many, many times.
Aye, we're seeing it with Pedri at Barca now.

Castia

Did anybody have an idea that the injury was such a big one? Seems crazy that he’s essentially had a season ending injury and it’s been relatively quiet

I generally forget he’s a United player at times. Mental

Yagami

Good post resistant
While I don't rate Mount, and didn't when he was at Chelsea, I would like to see how the team looks with him in place of Bruno. It's at least something to try after the team has been dependent on Bruno for so long. What I do not want to see is him alongside Bruno, as I feel like that leaves our midfield too lightweight and open.
Agreed. I'm with you in that I've never rated Mount, and was totally against the signing, but he's here now.

With Rashford and Bruno both playing through apparent injuries/in poor form (despite linking up together for our goal), both are in desperate need of some rest/time on the bench. They're good supersubs to have.

Whenever they're fit, I wouldn't mind a front four of Mount, Amad, Garnacho and Hojlund. I doubt we'll ever see it, though, because Amad seems to not be rated by ten Hag, and Rashford and Bruno are undroppable.

Captmfla

Tp be fair, he has not played much because of his injuries.

With Casemiro getting old, Mainoo and Mount is the future.

McTom and Bruno can rotate at AMC.

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
Imagine finally getting Phil Jones off the books to then give his wage to a younger waste in Mount.

We could have used that money to hire people who can actually cook burgers on Match day.
Baffling business decision.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I kept thinking of him as I watched McTominay on Sunday. He would have been such an upgrade for the role Scott was asked to play. Scott has no quality on the ball at all, and some of the moments he received possession - I was thinking Mount on form would have the quality to play the pass that needed to be played.

Ekeke

You cant build your future around players who are always injured

Mount is basically that mould of footballer (defensive work rate, ball carrying, goal scoring, passing) that you're describing. For me Mount and Mainoo are interchangable with Mainoo better defensively and Mount better at counter pressing / attacking. FdJ is unique so there's no point comparing.

re: remarks that Unfortunate that Mainoo is injured -- I need the full context. Was that when we had basically no midfielders? Putting together the full narrative is hard because there was a time there was no #8 / DM were available. Mainoo was introduced because there was literally no other option (I guess other than playing McT and Bruno at #6 and #8).

I can put together the list:

WOL: Mount, Bruno, Casemiro (Mainoo injured)
TOT: Mount, Bruno, Casemiro (Mainoo injured)
NFO: Eriksen, Bruno, Casemiro (Mount, Mainoo injured)
ARS: Eriksen, Bruno, Casemiro (Mount, Mainoo injured)
BHA: Eriksen, Bruno, Casemiro (Mount, Mainoo injured)
Bayern: Eriksen, Bruno, Casemiro (Mount, Mainoo injured)
BUR: Hannibal, Bruno, Casemiro (Mount, Mainoo injured)
CPL (cup): Mount, Bruno, Casemiro (Mainoo injured)
CPL: Mount, Bruno, Casemiro (Mainoo injured)
Gala: Mount, Bruno, Casemiro (Mainoo injured)

Mostly Mount has been selected for the #8 role whenever he was available and it's clear to me atleast that this was Plan A for us during the transfer window. Eventuall when Mainoo got in the squad, there was no DM (Amrabat and Casemiro were injured) and McT was the only "#8" available.

EVE we started with Mainoo, McT, Bruno and that continued against Gala, Newcastle, dropped against Chelsea, Bou, Bayern, Liverpool in favor of Amrabat and eventually re-stated. Why was he dropped? He picked experience for a pretty important fixture run through the season.

Sure it's possible he always intended to play him but I don't think any manager worth their salt will rely on a promising young player to start every game. We'll never know because both weren't fit at the same time.
Mainoo has had to track players back into his own box and help clear the ball. Several times he's had to get back and be one of our last players to stop a counter attack or make a tackle inside our own box. He is not like Mount when Mount was playing. Mount was far more similar to Bruno or Eriksen who yes are expected to press and make challenges but dont have any defensive senses to get back and help the team with their position. They defend further up the pitch while Mainoo has helped the defenders with their defending and immediately outside the box.

Last edited:

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
So now the young CL winner who has barely kicked a ball for us and has been injured for 4 months is the problem.
I got it now.

RedStarUnited

I mean, I am not sure on the debate about when in the window was the right time to buy him. Maybe we could’ve waited until the end and gotten him for cheaper. Maybe not. Many would say it is better to get players in early, so they have a full preseason with the squad. Depends on how long term of a view one takes of the transfer, But by virtue of even debating it, we are highlighting that we were always going to pay a feee for him. He was never likely to join on a free. How much could he have been gotten for with a better negotiating team? Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe 40m like you say, maybe 45+5, maybe Chelsea wouldn’t have budged and driven the price up the longer we waited.

I think the only important question, again, is whether we should have allocated that budget to his signing in the first place (we agree), and of course the statement that we need a better negotiating team in place. Our new CEO himself has commented on the importance of not overpaying for players; so hopefully that is something the INEOS era will address.

The point I was trying to get across earlier, and have been for months (on this forum) is that unless you have a player that is dedicated to signing for your club on a free, come hell or high water, a la Mbappe and Madrid (perhaps); then the whole “last year of his contract” thing, only means a discount on the price. How big of a discount is open to debate. Depends on a variety of factors. The risks associated with not signing a target with one year left, in the hope of getting him for free in a year, are substantial. Which is usually why players are sold. And if there is a lot of interest in the player, then the selling club still has a lot of leverage. In Mount’s case, Liverpool, Arsenal and Bayern were all interested. After talking to ETH he decided it was United; but if we’d failed to move for him, I have no doubt he’d have ended up at one of the others.

So when I look at Mount’s signing, I ask myself “was he worth signing for 55m?”. I think it’s the only question worth asking. I don’t ask myself “Was he worth signing for 55m when he had one year left on his deal?”, because the remaining duration of his previous contract has no bearing on his value to our squad.
It feels like you are saying the same thing. Given his from the previous year and his contract situation, we shouldn't have paid over 40m for him.

spiriticon

It's the 'I haven't said he was a waste of money for at least a fortnight, so I must correct this' thread.
Good shout, I haven't said this in a few months actually.

So here it is: "He's a godawful waste of money"

Teja

You cant build your pl

Mainoo has had to track players back into his own box and help clear the ball. Several times he's had to get back and be one of our last players to stop a counter attack or make a tackle inside our own box. He is not like Mount when Mount was playing. Mount was far more similar to Bruno or Eriksen who yes are expected to press and make challenges but dont have any defensive senses to get back and help the team with their position. They defend further up the pitch while Mainoo has helped the defenders with their defending and immediately outside the box.
Yes but that's just a symptom of Ten Hag's tactics not really working. The two advanced #8 type players (and I count Mainoo as an advanced #8 and not a DM, even though he played that role in some games) is the current tactical meta (Rodri - KdB - Alvarez / Rice - Havertz - Odegaard etc.). In the current system, I see him as a replacement for a Havertz / Odegaard, not as a replacement for Rodri or Rice.

The fact that we're relying on Mainoo's defensive recoveries this much is a sign that something is borked.

But for me it remains true that we signed Mount to play the role Mainoo is currently playing and Mainoo at best would've been considered a backup when the season started. If everyone was fit, who knows? Maybe he'd have pushed Mount and overtook him in the squad eventually.

Mike Smalling

The dude had +50 appearances in three of his four seasons with Chelsea and probably won’t make 20 this season for us.

It’s incredible really. We must be doing something wrong.

Ekeke

Yes but that's just a symptom of Ten Hag's tactics not really working. The two advanced #8 type players (and I count Mainoo as an advanced #8 and not a DM, even though he played that role in some games) is the current tactical meta (Rodri - KdB - Alvarez / Rice - Havertz - Odegaard etc.). In the current system, I see him as a replacement for a Havertz / Odegaard, not as a replacement for Rodri or Rice.

The fact that we're relying on Mainoo's defensive recoveries this much is a sign that something is borked.

But for me it remains true that we signed Mount to play the role Mainoo is currently playing and Mainoo at best would've been considered a backup when the season started. If everyone was fit, who knows? Maybe he'd have pushed Mount and overtook him in the squad eventually.
Well no it shows that Mainoo has qualities that can be used for defending. He's obviously not the most solid dm, he's 18 and even midfielders who specialize in defending arent solid at 18. Mascherano and Makelele wouldnt have been perfect in that role at that point.

But the fact remains that when hes been asked to play deep and help defend he's shown some qualities in ball winning, tracking back and defending in the box. Someone like Havertz and Odegaard arent able to sense danger or work hard for the team to defend. We see it with Eriksen for example and from Pogba when he was played there. These are players who will only work hard with the ball or in movement to receive the ball, at most closing down someone - they dont fill in for defenders when their teammates are caught out because they dont sense it. Mainoo has at times. And at other times he's made a misstep. I think it was his first game he didnt track a runner for a goal, and in this case he could have been a bit further out and in position to make up for Lindelof's error allowing Foden to come in and shoot. But again he's 18 and at 18 no defensive midfielder is going to be without making mistakes.

Now in theory Mainoo's future may be more attacking as expected but he'd need to improve on asking for the ball and making sure he gets a lot more touches. It was one thing when he was playing as the DM fill in but now Casemiro is next to him for that and tends to win the ball more, so he needs to improve his involvement with the ball now that his defensive responsibilities are less.

The truth is he just might not have that at first team level and he may end up being the more defensive midfielder himself down the line. Nothing is written in stone. Right now hes a central midfielder who can do a job defending at and times show some good defending habits and he can do a job a bit further forward with some dribbles and te couple of goals he showed he could score. He has qualities in both roles but I think he's been better playing as the DM performance wise because we dont see him on the ball enough to warrant playing further forward. I know people blame the tactics but Casemiro has managed to have plenty of touches and passes when he's played. He's just a far more mature player who knows how to get on the ball a decent amount even if we dont have lots of it and Mainoo needs to be learning how to do that from him.

izec

Neither of them is a Casemiro replacement. Mount is a 10 and Mainoo an 8.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Has to be up there along the worst transfers ever solely based on how he would have been free a year later.
Comical really.

Pickle85

Pure copium. Mount in his entire career has never shown anything close to being anything more than a nothing player.
This word genuinely needs to be eradicated from the face of the earth.

Also, this post only shows that either A) you've never watched him or B) you're exaggerating to an absurd degree for some unknown reason.

crossy1686

career ending
This word genuinely needs to be eradicated from the face of the earth.

Also, this post only shows that either A) you've never watched him or B) you're exaggerating to an absurd degree for some unknown reason.
How can you have possibly watched him when he’s spent the last 2 seasons out injured? and when he wasn’t injured at what point did he demonstrate the ability to be a quality player for a side with ambitions to win things? Mount has never shown anything near the levels people are building him up to be since he’s been out injured. He’s going to come back and float around the pitch again being totally ineffective for the entire game.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Not easy to join a big club and gets fecked by a medium-long injury from the get go. Its a career breaking stuff (at least at the said club)... hopefully not.

TheReligion

Abusive
How can you have possibly watched him when he’s spent the last 2 seasons out injured? and when he wasn’t injured at what point did he demonstrate the ability to be a quality player for a side with ambitions to win things? Mount has never shown anything near the levels people are building him up to be since he’s been out injured. He’s going to come back and float around the pitch again being totally ineffective for the entire game.
Probably at the point he won stuff and got to multiple finals? Just saying..

I’m also unsure what ‘Mount has never shown anything near the levels people are building him up to be since he’s been out injured’’ means.. he’s been out injured so how could he show those levels whilst sat at home.

Obviously the jury is still out on his time at United and this season has been extremely frustrating for everyone, him included, but he’s played a handful of part games and not had the chance to get going whatsoever. We really don’t need all the hyperbole.

CasaStreets

Incredible amount of content in light of the fact he’s not played for months. All seemingly either:

A) repeating the same points over and over

B) reacting in the extreme when someone else’s point diverges even slightly from your own

C) venting because the expensive, injured player’s thread is a fine place for that

D) critique of others for posting here ;)

Pickle85

I’m also unsure what ‘Mount has never shown anything near the levels people are building him up to be since he’s been out injured’’ means.. he’s been out injured so how could he show those levels whilst sat at home.

Obviously the jury is still out on his time at United and this season has been extremely frustrating for everyone, him included, but he’s played a handful of part games and not had the chance to get going whatsoever. We really don’t need all the hyperbole.
Nail on the head. This hysterical 'he's a nothing player that's never shown anything' is quite clearly rubbish.

crossy1686

career ending

Kleberson, Richardson, Bosingwa, Djimi Traore, David May etc

They all won trophies, played in finals but never demonstrated any ability to be 'a quality player' at any point. There is a reality where every player we sign doesn't go on to be important or even worth it, they can just be making up the numbers or a terrible singing. We've got to be the only club with a set of fans that are insistent a player we just signed will be world class under a certain, but very specific, set of parameters that somehow never seem to materialise.

It's nothing but fantasy at this point to suggest that Mount will ever be an effective signing for us, in fact I'd be willing to bet he's shown the door before his contract runs down, and not before he's stripped of the number 7 and it's given to someone actually worthy.

Last edited: