Gaming Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Never played them, intrigued a bit by this new one, going to play them all through ea access though, well atleast give them a go, hope they hold up well.
Enjoy! My favourite series of games in the last 10 years. Mass Effect 1 is still my favourite, love the story, but the combat and exploration is a bit lame. 2 & 3 massively improve on these and are great in their own right.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Never played them, intrigued a bit by this new one, going to play them all through ea access though, well atleast give them a go, hope they hold up well.
Go Adept if you're playing through ME1. It's the only way to go.

The others are more flexible. Vanguard is hella fun in 3. I don't recall what was the best in 2. Maybe Soldier? I was Vanguard in that one too though because I have a short attention span.

Smores

That trailer looks goooood. For me i just want them to maintain the same game mechanics, if they can deliver another decent plot on top of that then awesome.

Revan

Assumptionman
It looks fecking fantastic. And the soundtrack definitely looks like Two Steps from Hell.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Not ready yet, just properly started playing the first, and I know hand holding is complained about alot in newer games but feck me, this game tells you NOTHING. Also I can't run or jump? wtf?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Combat looks great. I'm hoping I'm right when I say the exploration looks big enough to burn hours into but not large enough to become a chore. Same old Bioware facial animations. Gameplay on the whole looks solid, just hope the quests follow suit. Dialogue/acting does sound a little off in this, but I hope that's just that one scene, or it's an edited scene to patch up spoilers or anything of the sort.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Can't jump in any game, but you can run, it's either with SHIFT or ALT in first game.

Not ready yet, just properly started playing the first, and I know hand holding is complained about alot in newer games but feck me, this game tells you NOTHING. Also I can't run or jump? wtf?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Can't jump in any game, but you can run, it's either with SHIFT or ALT in first game.
I'm on xbox one :lol: I'll have to have a look see if the controls are in game. No jumping seems majorly weird to me though. The story so far actually seems pretty decent, don't know how deep into conversations I need to go, or if the main cutscenes will cover most of it.

Cina

Also, does the storyline/character/races follow on from game to game?
Everything follows on. All decisions are referenced in later games so keep your saves to load back up.

Won't be the case with Andromeda though. New plot.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Also, does the storyline/character/races follow on from game to game?
Yes for the original trilogy (Mass Effect to Mass Effect 3), but Andromeda is largely separate except some returning races.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm on xbox one :lol: I'll have to have a look see if the controls are in game. No jumping seems majorly weird to me though. The story so far actually seems pretty decent, don't know how deep into conversations I need to go, or if the main cutscenes will cover most of it.
The more conversation, the better. While you can get the story even if you don't go deep into conversation, I think that what makes Mass Effect special is the relation with your crew, the romance, the relation with the other important characters that are not part of the crew (Anderson, Udina, Illusive Man etc). And of course the choices you make which are quite heartbreaking at times.

Edit: if you don't play the game in the right way, a lot of your companions will die. And you don't want that. So, try to make them loyal to you and have a good relation with them (important in all three games).

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Everything follows on. All decisions are referenced in later games so keep your saves to load back up.

Won't be the case with Andromeda though. New plot.
Yes for the original trilogy (Mass Effect to Mass Effect 3), but Andromeda is largely separate except some returning races.
So basically I don't need to play these before Andromeda? Although about a month and a half for 3 games should be easy enough.

Cina

So basically I don't need to play these before Andromeda? Although about a month and a half for 3 games should be easy enough.
You don't but you really should because they're amazing

Edit: the first doesn't hold up as well as the other two from a gameplay perspective as the shooting in it isn't great, it does have the best story of the three though. 2 is my personal favourite.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
So is the Mexican origin store workaround still a thing?

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Combat looks great. I'm hoping I'm right when I say the exploration looks big enough to burn hours into but not large enough to become a chore. Same old Bioware facial animations. Gameplay on the whole looks solid, just hope the quests follow suit. Dialogue/acting does sound a little off in this, but I hope that's just that one scene, or it's an edited scene to patch up spoilers or anything of the sort.
The party banter and non cut-scene dialogue have generally always been much better than in other areas imo. Quests have been a big talking point in most of the interviews so far though, and Bioware are very aware of how poor in substance those were in Inquisition.

Revan

Assumptionman
The party banter and non cut-scene dialogue have generally always been much better than in other areas imo. Quests have been a big talking point in most of the interviews so far though, and Bioware are very aware of how poor in substance those were in Inquisition.
I really hope it is more like the first two games and Origin rather than Inquisition. Sure, there are plenty of stuff that was done good in Inquisition and they should add it, but I think that the main storyline was quite weak and the side quests were bad.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I really hope it is more like the first two games and Origin rather than Inquisition. Sure, there are plenty of stuff that was done good in Inquisition and they should add it, but I think that the main storyline was quite weak and the side quests were bad.
I think we all hope that.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
It's a lot easier said than done but the very least they need to do is combine a story ME's level, characters ME2's level and gameplay ME3's level in one game.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just rewatched the trailers of the games. Really, the trailers of the second and third game in particular are the best trailers ever in the history of video games, in addition to having the most epic music ever.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's a lot easier said than done but the very least they need to do is combine a story ME's level, characters ME2's level and gameplay ME3's level in one game.
Add some exploration like in Inquisition, depth game mechanics like in Origins and some fancy graphics, and you have the best game of all time.

But sure, I would take your description too.

Another thing, I really hope that the main lead (male) actor is a bit better than the previous Shepard. He was very Chuck Norris/Keanu Reeves in the way of speaking. On the other side, Jennifer Hale was amazing as femShepard but I played the games as a male.

Bebe

Just rewatched the trailers of the games. Really, the trailers of the second and third game in particular are the best trailers ever in the history of video games, in addition to having the most epic music ever.

The second one is probably my favourite ever game trailer. This Deus Ex HR one isn't far off though

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
There will surely be a few callbacks though. Asari live for about 1000 years so I bet Liara will pop up somehow as an old, wise woman who knows something about their enemy.

Revan

Assumptionman
There will surely be a few callbacks though. Asari live for about 1000 years so I bet Liara will pop up somehow as an old, wise woman who knows something about their enemy.
I hope not. She did enough on the first three matches, but knowing Bioware it is likely that they will give her a minor role as a matriarch or so, just for fan service (like Morrigan in Inquisition).

She should be the only character that we know from original trilogy that has a chance of appearing in the game. After all, she should be just 700 years old.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Got myself the Mass Effect soundtrack, and it's just puzzling how those useless twats managed to not include the best piece in the game on it.

That 'real' Ilos music, anywhere else released? Perhaps in some Best of Effects anthologies or some such?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I hope not. She did enough on the first three matches, but knowing Bioware it is likely that they will give her a minor role as a matriarch or so, just for fan service (like Morrigan in Inquisition).

She should be the only character that we know from original trilogy that has a chance of appearing in the game. After all, she should be just 700 years old.
Anyone could make the hop over, age doesn't matter as they'd be in cryosleep like the folk in the main game. Not that it would make a lot of sense.

Revan

Assumptionman
Anyone could make the hop over, age doesn't matter as they'd be in cryosleep like the folk in the main game. Not that it would make a lot of sense.
You're right.

On the other side, a lot of companions might have died during the previous three games, and saves here won't be imported (if I am not mistaken). Imagine meeting a companion which has died in the other games, people will lose their shit about it.

More interesting would be which ending was decided to be canon from the third game. The red ending (which on grand scheme of things was the only ending which made sense for the character of Shepard) means that there are no Geth in this game. If Shepard became God (the control ending), he could still be in the game.

I hope it is a clean break from the original trilogy. Sure, there should be some lose ties and some eastern eggs, but no need to return characters and so on.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff

This is pretty epic too: