Mats Hummels

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Dream on to compare Inter, Chelsea and United to Dortmund. The circumstances are entirely different.
It's about taking a stand. It's what you tried to do with Lewa by refusing to sell him .

Even a club like Atletico that have faced financial struggles simply refuse to sell to Real.

What's to stop Bayern from poaching this new team that Dortmund are building when they need reinforcements?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I would love to see Umtiti replace him.

JPRouve

Scout
It's about taking a stand. It's what you tried to do with Lewa by refusing to sell him .

Even a club like Atletico that have faced financial struggles simply refuse to sell to Real.

What's to stop Bayern from poaching this new team that Dortmund are building when they need reinforcements?
Atleti fans are crazy, Madrid would have been a warzone.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Contracts. Otherwise you can't deny a player his free will.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
No you can leave yourselves with options. Many clubs have the principal of sorting contracts early to avoid situations like this.
Who is the last top Dortmund player who waited until they had a year left that didn't look for a move?
What options? They are only two: you either sell early or bench them.

The first one means that you scout andtry to find someone suitable, pay good money to buy them but in the end only play them two or three years and then start again.

The second one is even worse. This is literally burning money (wages+lowering value) and sending a horrible signal to potential targets.

Here is a simple truth about clubs like Borussia Dortmund aka 99% of the football clubs: Only a small fraction of players see us as the end goal. Some join us to develop, some to take the next step in their careers. This is simply something you have to accept if you support a team outside the absolute elite or with a sugar daddy.

That means that a lot of players only stay one real contract duration (4-5 years) and our business model is to make the most of the contracts. And this business model works extremely well. For five seasons running we either won a title or had the chance to win one. We play amazing football most of the time and have a squad which is in terms of money-quality relation only rivaled by Atletico Madrid. Infact our team is better than many others who pay way more money for it.

As long as there are still players who truly cherish the club and stay long term (which we have even without Hummels), I don´t care if some players might play elsewhere in two years or so. What counts is the present, the team we can put on the pitch right now and the results we get. If some of them want to take the easy route for trophies later and join Bayern, let them. We don´t need to pretend that they are overly dependent on them and don´t get top players elsewhere aswell. To beat them over the duration of a season, they have to make mistakes (this is shown this season) and we are more than capable to beat them in a single match even if we have to make adjustments every year.

K2K

Contracts. Otherwise you can't deny a player his free will.
I have given mutiple examples of clubs that have.

Here's another one. Wayne Rooney. twice.

We refused to entertain his wishes to join either City or Chelsea. He even released a statement the first time basically accusing us of lacking ambition. That was right in the middle of our season and it had us rocked. Fergie simply didn't budge with regards to selling him to City. Sometimes it's about sending a message. That would have sent out a terrible one for United. BVB taking a stand would send out a different kind of message.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He was a product of Bayern Munich's academy system in the first place and BvB got him for around 3 million pounds back in 2008. In that sense, i believe that Dortmund will get some satisfaction from the fee they are going to receive from Bayern for him (even though it won't be a very high fee). Plus most of the time they know how to invest their money wisely. And if they stick to their "never sell more than one first team players per season" principle, this could potentially mean bad news for Klopp or whoever else will look towards their direction for reinforcements this summer.

As for Hummels, he has been at the club for almost a decade and has played a major role in its recent success. It's bad for the fans but, at the end of the day, he is a professional footballer and Bayern Munich guarantee the best wages in the country and their most recent status says they are a "top three in the world" club right now. Hummels, 28 next season, is probably going to sign the last big contract of his career and he's about to enter the most fruitful period in a defender's playing career. All these things matter whether, we fans, like it or not.

I reckon BvB will also be ok. If they manage to fully convert Bender to a CB in a high defensive line, they won't even have to make a big investment at the back. And Tuchel has shown that he knows how to manage and protect his players through rotation.

And i don't think there's nothing Dortmund can do since investors aren't allowed to throw money at a club in Germany. They won't be able to match Bayern's wages ever and most German players (or players who made their breakthrough in the Bundesliga) will always be tempted to play for Bayern Munich and not leave the country and its culture. If Dortmund decide to play hard ball and bench first team players or send them to train with the kids, all they'll achieve will be to make top talents choose other (domestic) destinations or sign very short term contracts with them. The biggest problem is that there aren't any other German clubs who can offer the same money and wages as Bayern, so that the players will have more than one destinations to choose from.

As for the "bench him" option... Yeah, bench Germany's first choice CB in a Euro season, that will work out fine :lol:. He would leave anyway and Dortmund would have UEFA, the German FA and most of the country against them... sounds like a plan.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football

I wrote it before: Then players leave on a free or don't come at all. You suggest a totally unviable business model in a landscape that's entirely different to the rare examples you have provided.

K2K

He was a product of Bayern Munich's academy system in the first place and BvB got him for around 3 million pounds back in 2008. In that sense, i believe that Dortmund will get some satisfaction from the fee they are going to receive from Bayern for him (even though it won't be a very high fee). Plus most of the time they know how to invest their money wisely. And if they stick to their "never sell more than one first team players per season" principle, this could potentially mean bad news for Klopp or whoever else will look towards their direction for reinforcements this summer.

As for Hummels, he has been at the club for almost a decade and has played a major role in its recent success. It's bad for the fans but, at the end of the day, he is a professional footballer and Bayern Munich guarantee the best wages in the country and their most recent status says they are a "top three in the world" club right now. Hummels, 28 next season, is probably going to sign the last big contract of his career and he's about to enter the most fruitful period in a defender's playing career. All these things matter whether, we fans, like it or not.

I reckon BvB will also be ok. If they manage to fully convert Bender to a CB in a high defensive line, they won't even have to make a big investment at the back. And Tuchel has shown that he knows how to manage and protect his players through rotation.

And i don't think there's nothing Dortmund can do since investors aren't allowed to throw money at a club in Germany. They won't be able to match Bayern's wages ever and most German players (or players who made their breakthrough in the Bundesliga) will always be tempted to play for Bayern Munich and not leave the country and its culture. If Dortmund decide to play hard ball and bench first team players or send them to train with the kids, all they'll achieve will be to make top talents choose other (domestic) destinations or sign very short term contracts with them. The biggest problem is that there aren't any other German clubs who can offer the same money and wages as Bayern, so that the players will have more than one destinations to choose from.

As for the "bench him" option... Yeah, bench Germany's first choice CB in a Euro season, that will work out fine :lol:. He would leave anyway and Dortmund would have UEFA, the German FA and most of the country against them... sounds like a plan.
I am not advocating benching him,but could UEFA do about it?

The only solace could be that rule where a player could buy out his contract. But it's never been used in football,and for good reason too. Agent's and clubs know that it would open pandoras box.

Crossie

Supports
I have a sneaky feeling he might join Klopp at Liverpool and be their marquee signing of the summer.
That would be my dream come true! As I wrote some weeks back: Klopp please to the rescue!

K2K

I wrote it before: Then players leave on a free or don't come at all. You suggest a totally unviable business model.
I just think that's necessarily true. Spurs have the same hardline policy and still attract quality players and get their players to sign on longer contracts .

Very few top players run down their contracts. It too risky for them. It's the same reason why a DDg who clearly wanted to leave here resigned a new deal here. They are also bonuses that come with contracts. Players are too greedy to give up on that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I have given mutiple examples of clubs that have.

Here's another one. Wayne Rooney. twice.

We refused to entertain his wishes to join either City or Chelsea. He even released a statement the first time basically accusing us of lacking ambition. That was right in the middle of our season and it had us rocked. Fergie simply didn't budge with regards to selling him to City. Sometimes it's about sending a message. That would have sent out a terrible one for United. BVB taking a stand would send out a different kind of message.
I don't remember Pandev, but Sneijder for example was about Inter not being able to pay his wages iirc and they let both go for peanuts in the end, so how is that great?

And Rooney got a completely insane contract as a reward, so how is was that great? Besides Dortmund couldn't buy off players like that even if they wanted to.

Crossie

Supports
No you can leave yourselves with options. Many clubs have the principal of sorting contracts early to avoid situations like this.
Who is the last top Dortmund player who waited until they had a year left that didn't look for a move?
You continuously ignore in this thread that a player can refuse to extend at ANY at ANY time, be it 3, 2 or 1 year before the contract expires. Aubameyang accepted a 2-year-extension with 3 years on his contract left so please stop suggesting that Dortmund wouldn't know about the possibility of extending earlier.

Crossie

Supports
I just think that's necessarily true. Spurs have the same hardline policy and still attract quality players and get their players to sign on longer contracts .

Very few top players run down their contracts. It too risky for them. It's the same reason why a DDg who clearly wanted to leave here resigned a new deal here. They are also bonuses that come with contracts. Players are too greedy to give up on that.
I've written above why the EPL and BL are not comparable, and why Götze and Hummels are as Germans and both with a Bavarian history are also not comparable to the cases you mentioned. I'm sorry to say but it's really stunning how this is entirely ignored.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
That's only correct if
A) There had been offers of that range and
B) Hummels would have been interested in those offers.

I don't believe the recent Barcelona rumors have any substance, Chelsea might have made him an offer but they are no option for him. He wasn't linked with any other big club from abroad. Not that those links reflect any kind of reality, just saying. So I wonder if the situation was either extending, signing for Bayern or for Chelsea.
You make some good points. Maybe as you say, Mats isn't as coveted as I think. Maybe Mats is lucky that Bayern want him.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The only solace could be that rule where a player could buy out his contract. But it's never been used in football,and for good reason too. Agent's and clubs know that it would open pandoras box.
Don't all release clauses in Spain work like that? They're seldom used because of the sheer amount of money put down and the extra taxes attached because the money has to be given to the player by the "buying" club so he can buy out his contract. That's one reason why the Martinez deal (we made use of his 40mil clause) took so long and was such a paper war.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I am not advocating benching him,but could UEFA do about it?

UEFA can't directly punish the club but acts like these rarely go unnoticed. Let's just say that i wouldn't be surprised, if they sent them a ref to feck them over in an important European match.

But you can argue that's conspiracy theories. The most important thing is that a move like that will probably have a massive (bad) effect in the young German talents who are Dortmund's primary target group. BvB have worked very hard to establish themselves as a club which offers great working environment, develops players and tries to achieve its goals by playing proactive football. Sad but true, Bayern Munich are on a different level than the rest of the Bundesliga and with the way German football works, this will not change anytime soon.

The big difference is the money the club will get for the move, that's where BvB are unlucky. Let me put it this way: If one of the big three (United, City, Chelsea) offered 50 million for Kane and the player himself handed in a transfer request and denied a transfer abroad, what would Levy do, especially if it's a WC season? He will bench England's forward for the next decade for a whole season without an uproar from the FA, the press and most English fans? Wouldn't it have an effect on young talents choosing Spurs as their next club?

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
i don't want Hummels at my club, which is Bayern, because i happen to think he is a royal prick. On the other hand, the last time Bayern had a team of 11 affable chaps was probably when we still had a Kaiser and i'm not talking about Beckenbauer. Whats the english expression for "schönsaufen"?

Revan

Assumptionman
@Revan
It's very simple and amazing that you don't see it.

If Dortmund won't sell to Bayern, players leave on a free. Fantastic business which will no doubt make us more competitive. I'm sure we'll win the treble if we're folowing it. Alternatively, players with huge potential won't join Dortmund. A promising business model as well. Bayern will be scared.

The situation in England is entirely different because you have more clubs able to pay big money,almost guarantee titles. nd: Götze and Hummels are both Germans who, very similar to English players, are happy in their comfort zone. How many English players exactly had offers from German, Italian or Spanish clubs and moved abroad?

Another aspect:
Götze's parents are from Bavaria, the club he rooted for before his parents moved to Dortmund (at the age of 6-7) was Bayern. Hummels played for years in Bayern's academy, was a Klinsmann reject and therefore got loaned to Dortmund.
Or alternately, they'll go to some foreign team.

Like in Bale's case, when United apparently outbid the Madrid's offer, but Spurs weren't willing to negotiate with us. Or even on Berbatov's case, when we signed him only in the deadline day and by overpaying.

BVB shouldn't act like that small cute club who acts all nice when the big clubs go for their players. Especially no for Bayern.

And I doubt that other players won't join them because then they know cannot join Bayern.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
i don't want Hummels at my club, which is Bayern, because i happen to think he is a royal prick. On the other hand, the last time Bayern had a team of 11 affable chaps was probably when we still had a Kaiser and i'm not talking about Beckenbauer. Whats the english expression for "schönsaufen"?
At least he has less injury problems than Benatia, but who knows what's going to happen when he's at Bayern.

cyberman

You continuously ignore in this thread that a player can refuse to extend at ANY at ANY time, be it 3, 2 or 1 year before the contract expires. Aubameyang accepted a 2-year-extension with 3 years on his contract left so please stop suggesting that Dortmund wouldn't know about the possibility of extending earlier.
Nobody says a player has to extend every year or be sold. The deadline should be if it isnt sorted 2 years out from a Bosman then it's time to plan without that player.
Again this is the policy of quite a few clubs so any argument that its unworkable doesn't wash tbh.
Its not just the player moving. Its the one club market that Bayern represents. Are you getting full value for the players you sell?
Players could wait out one season for the Bayern move if it comes to that. Lets say you tell Hummels he has to July of last summer to sort out a deal or you are planning without him?
Does he turn down United or Chelsea like he did? Would he wait 2 years to join Bayern?

salford_

Thank christ. Another summer of tedious Hummels rumours was worrying

Shimo

Crap by him to want to move to a rival even if he grew up there but, his best years have been with Dortmund.

What's going to be really grating to this board though is when they replace him with someone who does really well - we'll be like why the hell didn't we go for him ?

Crossie

Supports
@cyberman
You and some others ignore again reality. If the player refuses to leave, you cannot enforce it. You cannot enforce him to leave to a club he doesn't want to join. It's actually a very simple concept which I'm surprised that it's so difficult to understand. I also refer to Bavarian connections of Götze and Hummels as described above.
There's no point to continue any exchange on the topic if you cannot accept that major differences in the EPL and BL lead to different options, in the specific case less options for Dortmund as compared to e.g. United or Spurs. It's as in any other matter of life: Comparing apples with pears is easy but doesn't help.

K2K

I've written above why the EPL and BL are not comparable, and why Götze and Hummels are as Germans and both with a Bavarian history are also not comparable to the cases you mentioned. I'm sorry to say but it's really stunning how this is entirely ignored.
I dont underestimate the differences between the two league, but equally so, I dont really believe that BVB are entirely powerless as some of you guys are trying to portay them to be.

The problem with this is the message that this sends out to the rest of the squad.If you try hard enough, you can get your move to Bayern. A player signing for Atletico knows that he will not get a direct move to Real. Whether the player was born in the centre circle of the Bernabau, Atletico simply wont budge. Its a hardline approach that they have taken . BVB can simply make it known to the players signing for them that they simply wont be selling them to the nearest title rivals as they have ambitions of their own to win. It will not prevent players from signing,especially during the honeymoon phase of player signings.

Spurs used to be constantly mocked on here for how easily they would sell their players to us, but they too took a stand. Levy made life a living hell to deal with him in transfer negotiations, and even Sir Alex admitted that dealing with them became such a hassle that he simply looked elsewhere. And for the record, Spurs never sold to other domestic rivals with more money(That seems to the argument being used, that the EPL has more teams willing to splash the cash), They sold outside to Europe. Thats what Atletico do too. Nothing is stopping BVB from doing the same. It prevents the double sword of weakening yourselves and also strengthening a direct rival.

cyberman

Tbf the Madrid clubs have an agreement not to sign each others players. Not really Atletico being so bloody minded.

JPRouve

Scout
Nobody says a player has to extend every year or be sold. The deadline should be if it isnt sorted 2 years out from a Bosman then it's time to plan without that player.
Again this is the policy of quite a few clubs so any argument that its unworkable doesn't wash tbh.
Its not just the player moving. Its the one club market that Bayern represents. Are you getting full value for the players you sell?
Players could wait out one season for the Bayern move if it comes to that. Lets say you tell Hummels he has to July of last summer to sort out a deal or you are planning without him?
Does he turn down United or Chelsea like he did? Would he wait 2 years to join Bayern?
German players aren't extremely interested by international moves, so what you are suggesting isn't completely applicable and I suspect Bayern to be in constant dialogue with German players, they know when Bayern is open to receive them and that puts Dortmund in a difficult position especially when it comes to Bavarian players.

K2K

Don't all release clauses in Spain work like that? They're seldom used because of the sheer amount of money put down and the extra taxes attached because the money has to be given to the player by the "buying" club so he can buy out his contract. That's one reason why the Martinez deal (we made use of his 40mil clause) took so long and was such a paper war.
This isnt a buyout clause per se.

Its called the Webster Ruling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster_ruling

So it could be used without a buyout clause being present.

No one seems to use it though, even with contract disputes.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What kind of example is Spurs even? They sold a whooping two good players since Berbatov and both went to Real Madrid, the biggest club in the world.

JPRouve

Scout
What kind of example is Spurs even? They sold a whooping two good players since Berbatov and both went to Real Madrid, the biggest club in the world.
And they sold Berbatov and Carrick to United.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Tbf the Madrid clubs have an agreement not to sign each others players. Not really Atletico being so bloody minded.
Both Madrid clubs signed the agreement because Real knew trying to sign Atletico players would be chaos. Otherwise they had no reason to agree to something like that. It's not even a written agreement, just a gentlemanly thing.

cyberman

German players aren't extremely interested by international moves, so what you are suggesting isn't completely applicable and I suspect Bayern to be in constant dialogue with German players, they know when Bayern is open to receive them and that puts Dortmund in a difficult position especially when it comes to Bavarian players.
It's up to Dortmund to change this mindset in that case. I'd rather have a squad fractionally worse and loyal.
A player should be joining Dortmund with that choice already made. If he is hesitsnt two years out then thay choice is already made most of the time.

K2K

UEFA can't directly punish the club but acts like these rarely go unnoticed. Let's just say that i wouldn't be surprised, if they sent them a ref to feck them over in an important European match.

But you can argue that's conspiracy theories. The most important thing is that a move like that will probably have a massive (bad) effect in the young German talents who are Dortmund's primary target group. BvB have worked very hard to establish themselves as a club which offers great working environment, develops players and tries to achieve its goals by playing proactive football. Sad but true, Bayern Munich are on a different level than the rest of the Bundesliga and with the way German football works, this will not change anytime soon.

The big difference is the money the club will get for the move, that's where BvB are unlucky. Let me put it this way: If one of the big three (United, City, Chelsea) offered 50 million for Kane and the player himself handed in a transfer request and denied a transfer abroad, what would Levy do, especially if it's a WC season? He will bench England's forward for the next decade for a whole season without an uproar from the FA, the press and most English fans? Wouldn't it have an effect on young talents choosing Spurs as their next club?
It would be hard, but then the upside is that if a player is usually that good, he very would be attracting attention from outside British borders too, and Spurs would be more receptive to that kind of sale.

I can see your point of view, but Im trying to show that clubs simply have not lost all the power. What usualy happens with players when they realise that they wont be sold to a particular team, is that they will sulk for a while, then realise that they cannot afford to sit out an entire season, and then release some filmsy statement about them wanting to now fight for their current club.

It happened with Schneirderlin, Modric and Suarez when they were denied moves.

JPRouve

Scout
It's up to Dortmund to change this mindset in that case. I'd rather have a squad fractionally worse and loyal.
A player should be joining Dortmund with that choice already made. If he is hesitsnt two years out then thay choice is already made most of the time.
They can't do that though, unless you think that Dortmund shouldn't sign german players?

As for the two years thing, Lyon spent 3 years trying to sell Gomis, they negociated and agreed on two deals one in Russia and an other one in Turkey both behind his back and he refused to go. At the end of the day players do what they want.

K2K

They can't do that though, unless you think that Dortmund shouldn't sign german players?

As for the two years thing, Lyon spent 3 years trying to sell Gomis, they negociated and agreed on two deals one in Russia and an other one in Turkey both behind his back and he refused to go. At the end of the day players do what they want.
But would he have refused to go if those offers were from decent La liga or EPL sides though?

Thats the main gist of the argument here. The BVB players are proper quality. They would be chased by the biggest sides in the world. Yes a player might like Bavaria more, but if he knows that Dortmund arent budging and and he has a few years on his contract, with Real or Barca showing interest, Hes more likely to be receptive to such a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.