Mats Hummels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
One of the most overrated players in the world.

In my view the 2011-2013 version of Mats Hummels was genuine world-class, one of the best CBs in the world. Ever since the CL final loss at Wembley Hummels has shown major inconsistencies in his game.

He started to complain about teammates, the club and looked for errors elsewhere instead of questioning his own performances. I think leaving the cozy Dortmund for a team of world-class players in München, Barcelona or Madrid could reignite a slightly declining career curve and get him back into the conversation of world-class defenders

In München for example we'd simply bench his ass for Boateng/Martinez when he's too lazy to track back with 100% intensity. He needs to get out of an environment that does not challenge him.

I'm convinced he'll then be able to live up to his reputation.

ottosec

He should have left Dortmund a couple of years ago to take his career to the next level, but he decided to stay and he hasn't improved at all in the last 3 years football or professional wise.

Reus is pretty much in the same situation.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
He started to complain about teammates, the club and looked for errors elsewhere instead of questioning his own performances.
Which is exactly why he isn't world class. Wordl class players make their teammates stronger, Hummels has that "get outa the way, loser, i'll do it myself" attitude.
Even if he drops that attitude, he's no improvement on Boateng/Badstuber/Martinez.
Hope the rumours are untrue, Bayern doesn't need him.

Bwuk

Which is exactly why he isn't world class. Wordl class players make their teammates stronger, Hummels has that "get outa the way, loser, i'll do it myself" attitude.
Even if he drops that attitude, he's no improvement on Boateng/Badstuber/Martinez.
Hope the rumours are untrue, Bayern doesn't need him.
I agree Boateng and Martinez are better, not sure about Badstuber.

Martinez fitness record isn't the best though. Always wonder why Hummels hasn't been played as a #6.

Fer

You can say that he is overated, but I prefer him over Stones.

Bwuk

You can say that he is overated, but I prefer him over Stones.
As would I. More and more I see of Stones he looks like he a midfielder played at the back.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He was poor last season, like all other Dortmund players. He's been very good this year and hasn't had any injuries.
Its not just been the previous season either. Its been for a longer period before that. And the injuries have been for a long period too. I really hope we stay away.

He's not a bad player, but I am not convinced at all.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Its not just been the previous season either. Its been for a longer period before that. And the injuries have been for a long period too. I really hope we stay away.

He's not a bad player, but I am not convinced at all.
I don't agree. He wasn't actually poor last season, either. I tried to edit my post but accidentally deleted it. :lol:

His mistakes get so much attention every time, for some reason. It's like people never really wanted to believe he's world class, so they looked at every opportunity to point to the opposite. Truth is, he's been one of the best defenders in the world for the past 6 years with a few very short periods of bad form in between. Caftards love to call him overrated, to the extent that, he's quite underrated around here. :lol:

He had a lot of injury problems in 2014 but barely any in the last 18 months.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Weren't we here last April? He makes these statements every March-April. What a tit!

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I don't agree. He wasn't actually poor last season, either. I tried to edit my post but accidentally deleted it. :lol:

His mistakes get so much attention every time, for some reason. It's like people never really wanted to believe he's world class, so they looked at every opportunity to point to the opposite. Truth is, he's been one of the best defenders in the world for the past 6 years with a few very short periods of bad form in between. Caftards love to call him overrated, to the extent that, he's quite underrated around here. :lol:

I'd disagree on that one. Most of the Dortmund fans would too.

I dont have an agenda against him. I have no reason to do so. Quite like Dortmund as club too.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'd disagree on that one. Most of the Dortmund fans would too.

I dont have an agenda against him. I have no reason to do so. Quite like Dortmund as club too.
It wasn't his best season. He wasn't good in the first half of it but he had a lot of injury problems that year, as I said, and he usually takes a bit of time after an injury to find form. Also, their entire team was shit in those last months in 2014 and the first of 2015. He had a really good finish of the season though and has carried that form for the last year.

His peak was in 2010-13. After that his overall performance dropped a bit because of mental fatigue and lack of motivation at first, and injuries after that. He's admitted it himself a few times. He still remained a very solid player though. And has improved in the last year.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Don't want him. It increasingly seems like we will buy him, BILD reporting it just as of today, but for 30 million bucks I'm sure there are better possibilities.
I mean, he's 27 already and not nailed on to be a starter. That's not the kind of investment I want to see.

RedorDead21

Never wanted him as I always thought he would be too slow. But after watchin Blind... Change of heart. But now I think what's the point we have Blind.
We still need a CB. This season for once we were lucky those positions were not hit with our usual curse...full back department got that! Our spine on paper is pretty average and a world class CB is one important piece.

That said for me there are a few I'd rather over him and younger too.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's not that good actually. Boateng for example is a clearly better defender IMO. Maybe it's because he thinks he's too long at Dortmund and lost some intrinsic motivation or something but yeah, still inconsistent at times. Far far away from Rio/Vidic in their primes.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
He's not that good actually. Boateng for example is a clearly better defender IMO. Maybe it's because he thinks he's too long at Dortmund and lost some intrinsic motivation or something but yeah, still inconsistent at times. Far far away from Rio/Vidic in their primes.
Boateng is head and shoulders above him meanwhile. Re-watch the wc final last 20 minutes, Boateng won it almost singlehandedly and Hummels almost bottled it.

Mainoldo

We still need a CB. This season for once we were lucky those positions were not hit with our usual curse...full back department got that! Our spine on paper is pretty average and a world class CB is one important piece.

That said for me there are a few I'd rather over him and younger too.
We do and like you said I can think of a few names I would rather over him.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
City or Bayern.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Mats' father mentioned a couple of clubs which his son consider capable of fulfilling Mats' footballing ambitions, among them United, City and Chelsea.

I suggest a poll if United fans would welcome Hummels. Can a mod add one? Thanks.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's the defender version of Cavani for me. World class reputation, but I've yet to see him perform well(according to his reputation). Might be harsh, but then I don't watch the German League much.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Mats' father mentioned a couple of clubs which his son consider capable of fulfilling Mats' footballing ambitions, among them United, City and Chelsea.

I suggest a poll if United fans would welcome Hummels. Can a mod add one? Thanks.
No. He is like an ersatz version of Blind, who isn't a very good defender either.

I would hate it if joined us and in games went on one of his trademark strolls to the midfield with neither the pace or the desire to come back and help out.

Last edited:

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Boateng is head and shoulders above him meanwhile. Re-watch the wc final last 20 minutes, Boateng won it almost singlehandedly and Hummels almost bottled it.
Hummels had a better wc than Boateng overall. It's a bit easy to compare Boatengs great final against Hummels weak game where he wasn't even fit. Overall he was fantastic in all the other games. Besides the opener against Portugal he single handedly won Germany the game against France.

I rate Boateng highly but there really isn't much between the two. Both have different strengths and weaknesses and complement each other well. This season I would say Hummels has been the best Center back in the League. Last year it was Boateng obviously.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Boateng is the superior player, but the worldcup isn´t a great way to argue for that. Hummels played a fantastic tournament and was the stronger defender with the exception of the final (where he suffered from minor injuries)

bucky

He's the defender version of Cavani for me. World class reputation, but I've yet to see him perform well(according to his reputation). Might be harsh, but then I don't watch the German League much.
He's certainly better than he's is according to the caf.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
No. He is like an ersatz version of Blind, who isn't a very good defender either.

I would hate it if joined us and in games went on one of his trademark strolls to the midfield with neither the pace or the desire to come back and help out.
I appreciate your opinion (though I wonder how often you've watched Dortmund) but would be interested in a poll to get a more comprehensive feedback.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man

Exactly. Fantastic World Cup, brilliant second season half 2013/14 and I think he has been pretty good this year too. Yeah he is inconsistent and has periods where he is error-prone, but he also had tons of great games, where he played at a level not many CBs outthere can reach.
I often have the feeling he gets the whole blame when Dortmund's defence is shit, for example the Liverpool game, where I only read bad things about him when he probably was the best in an absymal defence that day.

He has his flaws and his injuries are an issue for me, but he would improve us without a doubt and 30 million doesn't sound unfair.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
City seems like a pretty good fit for him. That Barca CL keeper and Hummels would be well in line with Pep's style of play.

dirtygringo

Winner of the 150 Posts in 11 Whole Years Award
Watched him live recently when Ireland beat Germany. Jonathan Walters won every aerial challenge against him. Would he struggle against the physical sides in England?

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
i still wonder about the media coverage. *If* they were already discussing terms, it would be counter-productive of old man Hummels to talk to Bild about it.

My theory is: Some at Bayern want him back, others hesitate, and Hummels wants to put pressure on them. I'd say Rummenigge and Hoeneß can't again withstand the temptation to show the league who's Boss, while Sammer and(or Reschke are hesitant.

Or its just an advertising campaign on Hummels behalf. Hey Bayern, i'm single again... wink wink.

salford_

Seems slow to me and certain prem strikers would make an amateur out of him. However I'd have him everyday over stones. Stones for me is incredibly overrated to a ridiculous level

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
i still wonder about the media coverage. *If* they were already discussing terms, it would be counter-productive of old man Hummels to talk to Bild about it.

My theory is: Some at Bayern want him back, others hesitate, and Hummels wants to put pressure on them. I'd say Rummenigge and Hoeneß can't again withstand the temptation to show the league who's Boss, while Sammer and(or Reschke are hesitant.

Or its just an advertising campaign on Hummels behalf. Hey Bayern, i'm single again... wink wink.
I'm sure someone like Hummels (jr) cares very much about how the public sees him, so it would make sense to start dropping some hints early in order to soften the blow/outrage when the news finally and truly breaks. SZ (Röckenhaus) who is usually very well informed in all matters regarding Dortmund wrote today that Hummels' decision will most likely be between Dortmund and Bayern, so I guess Dortmund's officials haven't written him off yet.

gaucho_10

I wouldn't read anything into comments a footballer made 3 years ago. Opinions can change so quickly. But I hope there's some truth to the rumours about Barca being interested. Would love to see him go there, because Pique + Hummels sounds like a truely awful centerback pair to me. They have the same weaknesses and I really can't see that working well.
I agree. Two slow lumps, just perfect.

fanutd

It's that time of the year again. The annual Bayern poaching of Dortmund's best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.