Mats Hummels

Status
Not open for further replies.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Hummels on 2nd of March (2016) about his future: "I'm still at a phase where I want to do everything, I want to play for Dortmund for another 8 years, but I also want to play abroad for 4 years."
Maybe they lured him with promisses of Bavarian secession :confused:

LARulz

Why do Dortmund let the players contracts run down so far? He has only one more year left right? It puts them in such a shit position every single time

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why do Dortmund let the players contracts run down so far? He has only one more year left right? It puts them in such a shit position every single time
There are these concepts called human rights and free will.

m1y2

Never wanted him as I always thought he would be too slow. But after watchin Blind... Change of heart. But now I think what's the point we have Blind.
Exactly what I thought, he's an upgrade on Blind defensively though, better tackler and in the air

LARulz

Most other big clubs don't get fecked over nearly as much as Dortmund. When it gets to 2 years/2 and a half years you offer another extension if you want to keep them. If the player doesn't want to sign then you have plenty of time to plan and sell them for a decent fee rather than be up against the wall

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Most other big clubs don't get fecked over nearly as much as Dortmund. When it gets to 2 years/2 and a half years you offer another extension if you want to keep them. If the player doesn't want to sign then you have plenty of time to plan and sell them for a decent fee rather than be up against the wall
Really? Most of those clubs have €150-200m more in annual revenue, which makes things a bit easier. From what I remember the media reported that Dortmund initially approached Hummels about a year ago and he told them that he wanted to see tactical and squad improvements first. Which was reasonable and which Dortmund delivered and will do further this summer.
You also have to ask whether or not Hummels would've been open to leaving last summer, since he himself just came off a pretty bad season, how many clubs would've been interested in him after such a season and whether or not that would really have been a big financial benefit compared to selling an in-form Hummels with 1 year less on his contract and giving up on the chance that he would extend his contract.
Then there is the problem that Dortmund came off the back of a terrible season and had just appointed a very promising but internationally probably unknown coach, so you have to wonder what kind of quality they would've been able to attract as a replacement and of course it would've made things harder for Tuchel and send a bad signal towards the other players.

It's almost never as simple as you suggest.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well given the injury crisis they seem to suffer at the back in recent years it makes sense bringing in a new CB but of course I guess Dortmund supporters would prefer him going to Barca instead of Bayern.
It is the difference between getting standing ovations at your last game or being booed out of the stadium.

People are wondering what the reaction of the Dortmund fanbase is? The vast majority of it is shocked and really angry. Most of that anger is not even directed towards Bayern Munich, although it becomes fecking tiring seeing another player transfering there. That would be the third one now in a span of four years and no matter how much Bayern fans try to argue that away, three players changing colors from the 2nd to the 1st in four years is a fecking sad testament for this league.

The giant part of the current ire is directed towards Hummels, because a lot of people (and here I have to include myself aswell) simply stood corrected. Hummels is what some people called him for a while now: a huge fraud.

Mats Hummels was always a man of big words. This made him controversial amongst football fans and popular for the media. Hummels described himself very often as honest, straightforward and not scared to have unusual and unpopular opinions. Hummels also presented himself as an alternative to the pure trophy hunter, stating gems like "not defining his career on titles alone" and speaking about the "special titles" (citing the ones with Dortmund as expamples) and his role in them. Hummels also shot at players leaving Dortmund, saying that you either make your club big enough to win titles by yourself or leave to seek them.

Mats Hummels actively wanted the captains badge and with the many statements he made over the years (the ones I mentioned are just a fraction of all of them), he profiled himself as the primary identification figure of the club. He did not deny this standing or became more careful with his words to stop it from continuing to grow. Infact according to himslef his standing in the team, the club and amongst fans is a very valuable thing to him.

All in all, Mats Hummels wanted to be a key figure of club, he wanted to be "Mr. Borussia" as foreign papers called him from time to time, he wanted the capitancy. Nobody forced him to talk such grand words or take the captains badge, but all his doing led to a certain responsibility. This responsibility was not the obligation to spend his entire career at Dortmund, as he never promised that. He did speak about the thrill of playing abroad and certain clubs like Barcelona, who would make him think about a potential departure. Just six weeks ago he sat in live television and talked about the difficulty of the decision to either sign his last big contract for BVB or go on an adventure abroad. But thats the thing, everything about transfers in more than the last half decade from his side was about about foreign top club vs. BVB. Bayern Munich was not even in the picture.

This was his sole responsibility here. Not join either Bayern or Schalke. Thats simply not something you do if you profile yourself to be such a identification figure of Borussia Dortmund for so long, call yourself a "true Borusse" or "football romantic", especially after seeing what the Götze transfer did to the fans. Everything else would have been fine.

Mats Hummels wants to be seen as honest and straightforward. Now he is silent and begs for time to think, while nearly tearing up. Mats Hummels knows the backlash this transfer will have for him and his credibility, that a lot of former statement will be slapped into his face. I´ll personally take a 0815 player (something he never wanted to be), who keeps his mouth shut and delvers neutral phrases anytime over a fraud, who willingly created expectations only to kick the fans who stood behind him for over eight years in the balls.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
It is the difference between getting standing ovations at your last game or being booed out of the stadium.

People are wondering what the reaction of the Dortmund fanbase is? The vast majority of it is shocked and really angry. Most of that anger is not even directed towards Bayern Munich, although it becomes fecking tiring seeing another player transfering there. That would be the third one now in a span of four years and no matter how much Bayern fans try to argue that away, three players changing colors from the 2nd to the 1st in four years is a fecking sad testament for this league.

The giant part of the current ire is directed towards Hummels, because a lot of people (and here I have to include myself aswell) simply stood corrected. Hummels is what some people called him for a while now: a huge fraud.

Mats Hummels was always a man of big words. This made him controversial amongst football fans and popular for the media. Hummels described himself very often as honest, straightforward and not scared to have unusual and unpopular opinions. Hummels also presented himself as an alternative to the pure trophy hunter, stating gems like "not defining his career on titles alone" and speaking about the "special titles" (citing the ones with Dortmund as expamples) and his role in them. Hummels also shot at players leaving Dortmund, saying that you either make your club big enough to win titles by yourself or leave to seek them.

Mats Hummels actively wanted the captains badge and with the many statements he made over the years (the ones I mentioned are just a fraction of all of them), he profiled himself as the primary identification figure of the club. He did not deny this standing or became more careful with his words to stop it from continuing to grow. Infact according to himslef his standing in the team, the club and amongst fans is a very valuable thing to him.

All in all, Mats Hummels wanted to be a key figure of club, he wanted to be "Mr. Borussia" as foreign papers called him from time to time, he wanted the capitancy. Nobody forced him to talk such grand words or take the captains badge, but all his doing led to a certain responsibility. This responsibility was not the obligation to spend his entire career at Dortmund, as he never promised that. He did speak about the thrill of playing abroad and certain clubs like Barcelona, who would make him think about a potential departure. Just six weeks ago he sat in live television and talked about the difficulty of the decision to either sign his last big contract for BVB or go on an adventure abroad. But thats the thing, everything about transfers in more than the last half decade from his side was about about foreign top club vs. BVB. Bayern Munich was not even in the picture.

This was his sole responsibility here. Not join either Bayern or Schalke. Thats simply not something you do if you profile yourself to be such a identification figure of Borussia Dortmund for so long, call yourself a "true Borusse" or "football romantic", especially after seeing what the Götze transfer did to the fans. Everything else would have been fine.

Mats Hummels wants to be seen as honest and straightforward. Now he is silent and begs for time to think, while nearly tearing up. Mats Hummels knows the backlash this transfer will have for him and his credibility, that a lot of former statement will be slapped into his face. I´ll personally take a 0815 player (something he never wanted to be), who keeps his mouth shut and delvers neutral phrases anytime over a fraud, who willingly created expectations only to kick the fans who stood behind him for over eight years in the balls.
Well said!!!!!

I wondered always what Hummels saw in his girlfriend/wife because she is the totally opposite of him.......now i know the answer: He is so stupid like his wife!!!

Revan

Assumptionman
BVB should take the hit and put Hummels into U21 for the next season. Not do a Lewandowski situation, but properly feck him.

They'll look like a joke if he leaves to Bayern.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For some reason, I always considered him as a Bayern kid, I can't believe that a player formed at Bayern can genuinely turn his back to them.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well said!!!!!

I wondered always what Hummels saw in his girlfriend/wife because she is the totally opposite of him.......now i know the answer: He is so stupid like his wife!!!
That is well below the belt Sean! I take it you're married to some billionaire supermodel ha ha? Hummels wife is gorgeous plus judging by her job she is a smart cookie!! Slag him off by all means but does it have to go into his private life?

NoPace

I think he means they should have either gotten him to sign last summer or pushed through a move to a foreign club. Avoid Bayern and get a solid fee to forward to some 3rd team for Hummels' replacement, like Manolas, Koulibaly or Tah or whoever they like the most. The risk is the loss in production in this past year as a young player adjusts to Dortmund, the loss of continuity/leadership (they just added a new keeper and DM and there's Ginter (and maybe Durm) to bring into the backline and Gundogan seems likely to be leaving as the metronome of the side) as well as the possibility of keeping Hummels.

But it's sure as shit better than getting nothing and having Hummels pull a Lewandowski.

ti vu

Well said. Lewandolski never tried to be a **** hero, just being professional when he was at Dortmund as I recalled. Hummels turned out to be a hypocrite. Hope Dortmund uses iron hand on this, either sign new contract or move to overseas or stay playing with youth team.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Always seemed to be an immense cnut, for that reason I didn't want him here if he was on the move. Moving to Bayern is poor sports though, not that I'm surprised, mind.

echter Fraud, eh?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
That would be the third one now in a span of four years and no matter how much Bayern fans try to argue that away, three players changing colors from the 2nd to the 1st in four years is a fecking sad testament for this league.
I don't think any Bayern fan argues otherwise. Besides a few kiddies who feel pride in taking your players, no one even wants him back. From my impression the vast majority of Bayern fans want us to look somewhere else, it's an awful situation and much worse than the Lewandowski one from that point of view.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I don't think any Bayern fan argues otherwise. Besides a few kiddies who feel pride in taking your players, no one even wants him back. From my impression the vast majority of Bayern fans want us to look somewhere else, it's an awful situation and much worse than the Lewandowski one from that point of view.
Tbf, that's also mostly because the majority thinks he isn't good enough / lacks potential.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Tbf, that's also mostly because the majority thinks he isn't good enough / lacks potential.
Doesn't really matter why the fans don't want him,does it? And I'd argue that the fact that most Bayern fans can't stand him influences their judgement of his quality. Lack of potential sounds odd because he clearly is brilliant on his day, just lacked consistency in the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised that the change helps him focus again and he'll get back to his best. I just don't want him back even if he plays well for us.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well said. Lewandolski never tried to be a **** hero, just being professional when he was at Dortmund as I recalled. Hummels turned out to be a hypocrite. Hope Dortmund uses iron hand on this, either sign new contract or move to overseas or stay playing with youth team.
Watzke already said they wouldn't. In general both clubs have been dealing with this suspiciously quietly and respectfully, so I guess Götze is tied into the deal.

ti vu

Watzke already said they wouldn't. In general both clubs have been dealing with this suspiciously quietly and respectfully, so I guess Götze is tied into the deal.
I see... Hopefully Dortmund gets the best out of this since a straight swap means Dortmund taking the blow. Bayern simply gets reinforcement in a ball playing CB while getting rid of excess the same time. A complete Germany international CB pair. Gotze is now a hated figure for Dortmund fan base, losing excitement feeling of new signing, and next best thing status he used to have.

Last edited:

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Dortmund :lol: comfortably the second best team in the country yet they leak their best players to the team above on a regular basis.

Skills

Snitch
They'll probably want to replace one of Ribery or Robben next summer. Reus up next in the feed chain?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Dortmund :lol: comfortably the second best team in the country yet they leak their best players to the team above on a regular basis.
Other than improving in getting better deals for their players there's not much they can do. Slavery is abandoned, you can't keep players against their will.

NoLogo

Well financially the gulf between those two is still much bigger than the look at the table might suggest so it's not really surprising that they can't stop their players from joining a team that can double the players wages, especially if the contract is going to run out.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Very surprised, I really had Hummels down as a loyal type and he is leaving after a very good season for Dortmund. He moved there from Bayern in the first place and I thought that he didn't particularly like Bayern after his failures there, I was wrong.

NoLogo

Very surprised, I really had Hummels down as a loyal type and he is leaving after a very good season for Dortmund. He moved there from Bayern in the first place and I thought that he didn't particularly like Bayern after his failures there, I was wrong.
I don't think this has much to do with liking. More with joining the winning team to win trophies and well get a good salary raise in the process. I guess he wants that CL trophy and know that getting a second shot with Dortmund at that cup will be very hard, well not that it will be easy with Bayern but still probably he has a bigger chance of winning it with Bayern.

I can also see this making sense from Bayern's perspective, before Pep was there, they always had a policy of trying to get the best German players to play for them, which shifted a bit to Spanish players under Pep but I guess will now be resumed again. It's also good for our national team if a lot of our players already play together at the same club so I guess I can't be too mad about it even though I don't like Dortmund losing their best players to anyone else but us. :devil:

Blackwidow

BVB has released ADHOC news that Mats Hummels has asked for a release for a transfer to Bayern.

Now everything just depends on a financial agreement between the two clubs.

Brophs

The One and Only
If there's only one place he wants to go then they'll likely get stiffed on the price, or at least more than they would have done in an auction.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
What an awful week of football this is.

Blackwidow

If there's only one place he wants to go then they'll likely get stiffed on the price, or at least more than they would have done in an auction.
Oh, Watzke will try to get the best out of Bayern - like Schalke did with Neuer.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Nah mate, he's a shitbag. I remember him throwing team mates under the bus after some losses (first thing that comes to my mind was attacking Weidenfeller that he positioned himself poorly) and not bothering to go to fans to thank them for the support and some other shit.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hummels is 1 of those players that is hugely rated by everybody because he's meant to be good, but people rarely watch him.

Status
Not open for further replies.