Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir A1ex

Van Gaal's comments in the press are generally fairly innocuous. Darmian and Valencia are our right backs. Valencia was first choice last season, is an experienced squad member, speaks the language and already understands how to play in this team.

Darmian, however, struggles with the language, will be getting to grips with a new league and is a brand new face. Valencia starting the season at right back wouldn't be at all surprising. Infact, it's probably the sensible thing to do.

Darmian hasn't arrived here to be second choice. People shouldn't play dumb.
I'd like to believe all this. But we're talking about a man who played Valencia ahead of Rafael pretty much all season.

Never underestimate the power of those photos Valencia has the only copies of.

ChaddyP

I thought Valencia was probably the second most consistent Right back in the league behind Ivanovic :nervous: Keep wondering why everyone has a moan about him.

meltdown about this post coming shortly

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Van Gaal's comments in the press are generally fairly innocuous. Darmian and Valencia are our right backs. Valencia was first choice last season, is an experienced squad member, speaks the language and already understands how to play in this team.

Darmian, however, struggles with the language, will be getting to grips with a new league and is a brand new face. Valencia starting the season at right back wouldn't be at all surprising. Infact, it's probably the sensible thing to do.

Darmian hasn't arrived here to be second choice. People shouldn't play dumb.
Valencia doesn't speak the language. But to be fair to him he has only been in England a decade.

As far as Valencia at right back goes, he's solid.

He had a couple of goals conceded attributed to him that had nothing to do with him, but the various posters who hate him look to blame him anyway.

He was at blame for a couple of goals but big deal, so was Shaw, Ivanovic, Rafael, Azpulefeckiticantspellit and Baines among loads of others who are not only fawned over but also lucky enough not to have every movement forensically analysed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd like to believe all this. But we're talking about a man who played Valencia ahead of Rafael pretty much all season.

Never underestimate the power of those photos Valencia has the only copies of.
Valencia played ahead of Rafael all season because he was reliable, consistent, is great at holding onto the ball and has great physical attributes. Most importantly, he stays fit. Valencia isn't a bad player at all, people on here need to understand that. His only thing is that his final ball is shite, but other then that, he's a very good and reliable player that 2 of the greatest managers of recent times have loved.

m1y2

Wouldn't surprise me if Valencia starts the season and Darmian was eased into the side.
agreed, the guy has a lot to prove and learn but has a good chance to impress on tour while Valencia's out. Good luck to him

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I thought Valencia was probably the second most consistent Right back in the league behind Ivanovic :nervous: Keep wondering why everyone has a moan about him.

meltdown about this post coming shortly
He's just not a defender, and you can see that when he's always out of position or lunging in with tackles. Hopefully he will improve, because he certainly has over the last season, but he's 30 now I think so there's not much time. Valencia wasn't absolutely fecking awful, but we could certainly do a lot better and I'd be worried he'd be a weak link back there.

ChaddyP

Valencia played ahead of Rafael all season because he was reliable, consistent, is great at holding onto the ball and has great physical attributes. Most importantly, he stays fit. Valencia isn't a bad player at all, people on here need to understand that. His only thing is that his final ball is shite, but other then that, he's a very good and reliable player that 2 of the greatest managers of recent times have loved.

i think its because Valencia was so shite at right wing in the latter years and the memories of this still live in heads today. Thats the only reason i can fathom the valencia bashing on this forum

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I thought Valencia was probably the second most consistent Right back in the league behind Ivanovic :nervous: Keep wondering why everyone has a moan about him.ly
Gives away too many cheap free kicks around our box.

Man Utd 3:1 San Jose Earthquakes

ChaddyP

I think he needs to improve his passing for our possession game. had a few poor passes that went straight to the opponent

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
i think its because Valencia was so shite at right wing in the latter years and the memories of this still live in heads today. Thats the only reason i can fathom the valencia bashing on this forum
Had a solid season, to be fair, I thought his best game was the one he played at CM, though, which was really surprising.

Devil may care

A little rushed in his passing tonight but his attacking threat and blistering pace are good to watch.

worldinmotion66

Think it will take a lot more time for him to adjust than some obviously seem to think around here. His passing was a little nervy and rushed, which is understandable I guess, but he'll have to improve that eventually. He has good touch and the ability and pace to go past his man, so hopefully he'll use this more when he feels more comfortable on the ball. You've got to remember that he can't communicate too well with his teammates and the United staff yet, I'd expect a good six months to bed into a new environment and language.

Valencia was always going to start as first choice, and personally I'd suggest he's a good one. I don't understand some of the Valencia hate around here, he's a great pro, strong and quick, and he's been playing at fullback for just one year. Give him a chance! Darmian is the future, and could be both exciting and reliable, but Valencia is currently the best full back in our squad for the system and expectations of a Van Gaal fullback.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wouldn't surprise me if Valencia starts the season and Darmian was eased into the side.
Valencia is supposedly injured though, if he doesn't play in the pre-season it will be a hell of a risk to have him start the season with no games.

Giggsforever

This is how you use your man managment skills, best he could say for two players with one sentence. Valencia has been here for years, he will not come out and say that Darmian is now first choice. That would be foolish towards managing Darmian as well, with this he tells him that here you have to work hard to deserve a starting spot.

Darmian, as the better player, is clearly the first choice for LVG.

m1y2

dunno why we're selling Rafael, still comfortably our best and youngest RB, maybe Van Gaal ran out of patience with his injuries...

Darmian on the other hand looks solid both defensively and going forward but he's hardly a world beater yet, needs to work hard to get over Valencia in the pecking order first. Maybe when he settles down, gains some confidence, learn language his development accelerates and we will have a world class fullback again, too soon to judge though..

RooneyLegend

Needs to time his runs better outwide. Doesn't seem to be giving us too much going forward. He's very good technically which is great and he's a decent athlete. High hopes for the lad.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Signs are promising, although clearly work to be done. I have no concerns at the moment.

ottosec

I really like this guy, he seems to be playing like a winger a lot of the time.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I like what I've seen of him thus far. Looks very dangerous in attack at times, and seems capable of putting in a good cross as well.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
First time I've seen him properly but he looks the real deal. Reads the game very well.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Certainly looks like he's got it down. Can't be easy playing next to Jones sometimes.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was quality today, solid defensively and showed some very good passing and dribbling going forward, and put in that great ball for the one chance. Think he's only going to get better once he adapts to the prem. Will probably bulk up a bit to adapt easier to the premier league but that's only going to improve him.

ZDwyr

Looked far, far better than Valencia (who is only playing his first game tbf). Expect him to be the #1 RB pretty quickly though.

ChaddyP

Very good defender. Would like to see a bit more going fwd. But looks solid at the back. And quite tall

Shiva87

Looked like a proper RB, defended very well. Felt good watching a cross from our RB actually end up in the danger area of the box. I was actually surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.