5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Its amazing how he plays well when he has someone half decent ahead of him. Noone shines when they have Mata as a winger ahead of them, and Lingard is not much better. Valencia does OK because hes not as defensively aware and is happy to leave gaps.

He hasnt played well recently but hes still got the ability.

Laphroaig

Its amazing how he plays well when he has someone half decent ahead of him. Noone shines when they have Mata as a winger ahead of them, and Lingard is not much better. Valencia does OK because hes not as defensively aware and is happy to leave gaps.
Yeah, that's it...

Yeah, that's it...
Valencia is a winger by nature and much keener to get forward at the expense of his defensive positioning. Mata or Lingard are not going to keep the opposition wing pinned back, or cover as quickly when needed as Martial will on the other side. Look at a heatmap of the game and Valencia is 10 - 20 yards further forward than Darmian, and Schneiderlin was dropping in to cover him. As a result Sako and Soure were having much more freedom to pass and shoot down our right.

Laphroaig

Valencia is a winger by nature and much keener to get forward at the expense of his defensive positioning. Mata or Lingard are not going to keep the opposition wing pinned back, or cover as quickly when needed as Martial will on the other side. Look at a heatmap of the game and Valencia is 10 - 20 yards further forward than Darmian, and Schneiderlin was dropping in to cover him. As a result Sako and Soure were having much more freedom to pass and shoot down our right.
I just thought it was a weird critique of Valencia. I actually think (or hope) Darmian will come good, but he was a bigger defensive liability than Valencia today.

Edit: I've not actually looked at a flippin heatmap tho

Norris

I just thought it was a weird critique of Valencia. I actually think (or hope) Darmian will come good, but he was a bigger defensive liability than Valencia today.

Considering most of Palace's threat came down Darmian's side, it shouldn't be a surprise. Zaha was the only player threatening to trouble. That doesn't make him a liability. He needed Schnedierlin's assistance in the first half on a couple of ocassions, but was solid in the second half.
Valencia pretty much had nothing to do defensively.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Considering most of Palace's threat came down Darmian's side, it shouldn't be a surprise. Zaha was the only player threatening to trouble. That doesn't make him a liability. He needed Schnedierlin's assistance in the first half on a couple of ocassions, but was solid in the second half.
Valencia pretty much had nothing to do defensively.

And Darmian allowed exactly 1 cross from him in the 90 mins.
For that 1 cross Valencia was in the box, and had 1 runner to track. He didn't, the player won his header, cushioned it for Adebayor, who missed. Palace's only chance.

In games like this it's ok to play him but he's a positional nightmare.

izec

I still back him to be a top RB for us in the coming seasons if Mourinho gets appointed. Van Gaal sucked the life out of him. Such a negative transfirmation

Winrar

I still back him to be a top RB for us in the coming seasons if Mourinho gets appointed. Van Gaal sucked the life out of him. Such a negative transfirmation
I think same can be said about many of our players.

it's why I want to give these guys a chance with next manager, and it's also why I want LVG out ASAP (not the only reason, mind).

Taxx

With LvG (hopefully) gone, do we back him to see somewhat of a, "Evra-ish" transformation? Patrice wasn't that much thought of during his first (half) season, but grew into it. Hopefully the same can happen with Darmian.

Im just pointing it out for everyone who moans about Darmian's attacking ability. Its impossible to attack as a full back when you have lightweight players ahead of you unless you're happy leaving acres of space in behind, which no defender should be.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Defensively he was poor, but he still won the game with his contribution. How could it be anyone else?
Aye, time and again any striker scoring a goal or 2 to win a match, even though he'd have done very little else, will be voted for as motm. Don't really see any issue at all with a defender getting the nod for a match winning contribution in terms of an assist and a goal.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Well, he is Italy's first-choice RB isn't he?

Can't be too bad.

I find it hard to fairly/seriously judge anybody playing under Van Gaal.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Did he play well though? Or did he just play like Darmian but score a goal?

I mean, the most impressive thing he did in this game was managing to somehow throw a throw in directly off the pitch for a throw in to the other team.

And he always looks more comfortable on the left, though this might be because we actually have a wide player on the left wing, as opposed to the right where we usually have no one.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Did he play well though? Or did he just play like Darmian but score a goal?

I mean, the most impressive thing he did in this game was managing to somehow throw a throw in directly off the pitch for a throw in to the other team.

And he always looks more comfortable on the left, though this might be because we actually have a wide player on the left wing, as opposed to the right where we usually have no one.
He played to a consistent Darmain performance but set up the first and scored the 2nd. He was nowhere near man of the match in my opinion.

Norris

So much controversy for a Man of the Match award. :lol:
United fans just can't stop finding faults even for the smallest of things.

mancan92

Good goal and was involved but he got skinned several times by zaha easily. He is still a complete liability and I never feel comfortable when he is on the ball.

stevoc

He hasnt played well recently but hes still got the ability.
He's been dogshit going forward all season no matter who plays in front of him. Palace were fecking horrible last night and had a virtual reserve side out thats why he got forward more.

Mata and Lingard both do their fair share of defensive work, look at Mata the other week against Spurs.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Feel bad for him but he's absolutely made of glass. It seemed such an odd way to injure your ankle, it was pretty much a shoulder barge?!. unfortunately he seems like another injury prone defender we've managed to get.

pascell

Feel bad for him but he's absolutely made of glass. It seemed such an odd way to injure your ankle, it was pretty much a shoulder barge?!. unfortunately he seems like another injury prone defender we've managed to get.
The player who he tackles, his studs go down Darmians achilles and heel. Think that's how it happened.

Devil81

He's shite so I'm not really bothered if he's injured. Hopefully the club will give him a return ticket to Italy this summer.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
There was a stamp/kick on the top of his ankle. I caught it on one of the replays.

Flying_Heckfish

No upgrade on Rafa at all in the end then, shame. He looked decent in the first few appearances with his reading, less impulsive than Rafa. But as the season has gone on his weaknesses have become evident and to top it off he spends just as long on the treatment table - not to mention seemingly receiving a yellow every time he steps on the field.

He may be a useful bench option as he can play multiple positions but surely we are going to be looking for a RB yet again this summer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The player who he tackles, his studs go down Darmians achilles and heel. Think that's how it happened.
Yeah just saw a replay, I can see now. I dunno I'm sure it hurt but he was acting like he broke his ankle, apparently he's walking around on it now?.. I dunno he just seems a bit soft at times.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
http://oldtraffordfaithful.com/manchester-united-handed-boost-as-injury-not-thought-to-be-serious/?

Manchester United’s Matteo Darmian was stretchered off the field during the 1-0 win over Norwich City this afternoon, with a serious looking leg injury. After the game, Louis van Gaal remained tight-lipped on the situation, but now we’ve been given a positive update.

According to Sky Sports Italy viaFootball Italia, that injury isn’t thought to be all that serious, and Darmian has already told his family that he shouldn’t be out for that long.

This will be a huge relief to Manchester United, who have their FA Cup final to play in just a couple of weeks. It’ll also be good news for the Italy national team, of which Matteo Darmian is a crucial part of as EURO 2016 nears.

Darmian started life at Old Trafford like a house on fire earlier in the season, putting in brilliant performances week-in week-out. However over the last few months he has looked short of confidence and those levels have dropped. Missing the European Championships would have shot that confidence further, so hopefully he will be back playing as early as Wednesday.

stevoc

Darmian started life at Old Trafford like a house on fire earlier in the season, putting in brilliant performances week-in week-out.
Overstatement there. He played well for yes, brilliant no. Week in, week out. Yeah for about 3 weeks in total.

However over the last few months he has looked short of confidence and those levels have dropped.
Followed by a massive understatement. His levels dropped alright, the fecking arse fell out of his performance level in September and it's still on the floor.

stevoc

No upgrade on Rafa at all in the end then, shame. He looked decent in the first few appearances with his reading, less impulsive than Rafa. But as the season has gone on his weaknesses have become evident and to top it off he spends just as long on the treatment table - not to mention seemingly receiving a yellow every time he steps on the field.

He may be a useful bench option as he can play multiple positions but surely we are going to be looking for a RB yet again this summer.
Did i imagine it or did i read somewhere this guy only missed like 2-3 games in the last 5 years or something in Italy.

Since he's came to England he's been made of Chocolate.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Hopefully he can go to the Euros. Hate it when players get injuries just before a tournament is about to start and miss out on it.

Sylar

Did fine in both roles when he came on, he's one I'm interested in seeing next season to see if he can improve.
I actually think Jose will like him and i can see him being used for the bigger teams for his defensive stuff. Would like to see him work on his attacking play (mostly his crossing and linking up with players up top). Hope he stays clear of injuries as well.

mu77

kep him because he can play rb/lb but get someone better so he is 2nd choice at each position.

stevoc

Was nervous when i saw him coming on, given his recent horror show vs Spurs.

But he didn't make any major howlers or cost us a goal. Well done Matteo.

Vilev

Just read article linking him with the move away. I personally is for it. We can sell him without any loss, well minus amortization, all in all i think he is decent right back, but extremely average and i think we need someone much better to be or starter and compete with Valencia. Especially in attack. You look at Arsenal full backs, at Real's, Barca's, Munich's, PSG's, just name any top club here, even Spurs that maybe are not top but had a top season. And every right back is way better in offence than Darmian. It's not even a comparison, of course some as Alves are overly attacking, but that's just Barca. There are maybe 10-15 right full backs that we can get and who are much much better in opposition's half.

We must buy a more attacking option, in modern football players like Darmian is simply dinosaurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.