Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Lazy response. I think it has to do more with the fact that he is absolute shite, as most have finally figured out. If anything, the odd Valencia obsession was the unbelievable bandwagon of criticism of the lad.
Not at all, he is a fecking Italian international, the idea that he is "shite" is daft and comes from the fact he plays in the position where you idol plays, so you have torn him a new arsehole after nearly every game, it's transparent.

stevoc

I think people also forget that Darmian was blatantly our best player for about the first month and a half, then he got injured and subsequently LVG'd like 95% of the squad.

He's going to thrive under Mourinho.
It was actually more like 3-4 games and he wasn't our best player. He was good nothing more.

That little run for Darmian at the start of last season must have now surpassed the great Anderson/Cleverley combination at the start of 2011/12 in terms of exaggerated performances.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
This is a strange one. The fullback who played for Torino and who plays for Italy (mind, I haven't watched much of Italy recently at all) seems a different player from the poor imitation at OT.

I hope he comes good, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't settle in England. I think the flaw is in his mentality. By all accounts, he's a humble - shy guy. And this is evident when things get tough, instead of rising to the occasion, he seems to shrink/hide. Not the leadership mentality for a big club.

He does well for his NT though. I suppose he could feel a bit more "at home" etc. Ones things for sure, he's not as bad as he's shown at OT.

stevoc

Not at all, he is a fecking Italian international, the idea that he is "shite" is daft and comes from the fact he plays in the position where you idol plays, so you have torn him a new arsehole after nearly every game, it's transparent.
Does that even mean much these days though?

When was the last time Italy produced a great defender?

Reynoldo

I think he deserves another chance for the simple reason that he looked amazing at the start. If Mou thinks he can right his wrongs then you can't really argue with it.

dichinero

It was actually more like 3-4 games and he wasn't our best player. He was good nothing more.

That little run for Darmian at the start of last season must have now surpassed the great Anderson/Cleverley combination at the start of 2011/12 in terms of exaggerated performances.
He was better than what you are stating. And don't we have players that have survived a few seasons of the back of a 3/4 game run and yet an Italian international who has been doing very well for club and country prior to joining a United side under LVG, does not get a chance?

Devil may care

Does that even mean much these days though?

When was the last time Italy produced a great defender?
It matters in as much as you still don't make international teams and be utter shite, it's hyperoble. Darmian wasn't good last season no doubt, and I have no preference for him over Valencia, I just think Nobby has shown his hand one too many times with agenda posting.

stevoc

He was better than what you are stating. And don't we have players that have survived a few seasons of the back of a 3/4 game run and yet an Italian international who has been doing very well for club and country prior to joining a United side under LVG, does not get a chance?
In my book in terms of performances you are either awful, bad, decent, good or brilliant. In his first few performances he was good but not brilliant, so yes in my opinion he was good and nothing more. For anyone to say he was brilliant would be wild exaggeration for me. You are of course entitled to your opinion on how he played.

Also where did i say he shouldn't get a chance? I just said a few posts back on the last page that i think and hope he improves under Mourinho. We shouldn't bin any player after only one season, i've said the same about Depay and Schneiderlin.

dichinero

[QUOTE="stevoc, post: 19326676, member: 60530"]In my book in terms of performances you are either awful, bad, decent, good or brilliant. In his first few performances he was good but not brilliant, so yes in my opinion he was good and nothing more. For anyone to say he was brilliant would be wild exaggeration for me. You are of course entitled to your opinion on how he played.

Also where did i say he shouldn't get a chance? I just said a few posts back on the last page that i think and hope he improves under Mourinho. We shouldn't bin any player after only one season, i've said the same about Depay and Schneiderlin.[/QUOTE]

I guess that makes sense based on how you categorise performances. :)

stevoc

It matters in as much as you still don't make international teams and be utter shite, it's hyperoble. Darmian wasn't good last season no doubt, and I have no preference for him over Valencia, I just think Nobby has shown his hand one too many times with agenda posting.
Fair enough mate, just over the last 6 months or so i keep seeing people make similar statements ''you don't play for Italy unless you are a good defender'' etc. as if playing for Italy is some sort of stamp of approval of defensive excellence.

That may have been true 10-20 years ago but the current standard of Italian defenders is at it's lowest that i can remember in my lifetime.

I don't think Darmian is a truly horrible player, he was awful for us last year yes. I hope he improves massively next season i think he's capable of it if he shows a bit more bravery in getting forward. But it's also possible he's not actually as good as he appeared to be in Italy.

Sigma

Should be Valencia's spot at the start of the season. He's better at right back than Darmian, simple.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He defended quite well for 3 games but offered absolutely nothing going forward. Our 'best player' for a month :lol:.

stevoc

The 3 Juve folks are pretty good. Barzagli, Chiellini, Bonucci. But I agree with that it doesn't really mean much and Darmian has much to prove.
They are mate Chiellini especially has been very good over his career, but all 3 are 30 and over (i think) so Italy aren't exactly producing much these days.

And even though those 3 are good they are no where nears as good as Italy's best defenders of the past 15-25 years. Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta, Cannavaro, Nesta, Panucci, Zambrotta etc. I think some people remember how good Italy's defence used to be and assume even today anyone who is a regular for the Italian side must be a top defender.

Ban

Should be a first choice RB. THat is if he gets back into form which I'm sure he will.

LouisDanGaal

Darmian at his best is better than Valencia but that is his very best, I really don't get how Valencia is so underrated on here, its criminal. He makes two or three mistakes a season and everyone decides he is rubbish. Valencia can get the ball forward very quickly even if his end product isn't great, although it was in the last month of the season. He also never gets taken on, he is faster and stronger than any winger he comes up against and his short passing is to a very good standard. With Valencia and Darmian I would argue it's the only position we have genuine competition if they are both on the top of their game.

binary bot
It's amazing how bad some players can be under certain managers, times last season he couldn't string a pass together.

El Zoido

That's LVG for you. He'll be immense for us next season, calling it now.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He is a good defender. And he wasn't as bad for us either as made out by some.

dichinero

Our Darmian is not as bad as people made out. Under a good manager, he does well.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He is a good defender. And he wasn't as bad for us either as made out by some.
He was as bad as made out but there was a reason for it: Louis Van Gaal. We actually have a really good squad, we have just had two confidence vampire coaches since Fergie.

Fahad Jawaid

Well attackingly he has been nonexistent although he is playing as a Wingback their Right wing back Crandela(Spelling) looks far better going forward, and defensively De Bruyne keeping getting inside or pass it backwards, he struggles against wingers who are pacy and go outside or take him on.

dichinero

LvG had many faults but blaming him for Darmian's shit season is a bit silly.
Sorry, LVG was like so totally amazing. He brought the best out of players. I wish he stayed! Where did I lay all the blame on LvG?

Donut

LvG had many faults but blaming him for Darmian's shit season is a bit silly.
Valencia outperformed him and deservedly got the nod, but Darmian had some good games at left back and was then dropped for Rojo the next game. If i remember correctly he had a great game towards the end of the season when he scored that screamer and after that he didn't get to play again.

Status
Not open for further replies.