Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Italian press today saying Mourinho has made it absolutely clear to him that, he isn't going anywhere.

izec

Italian press today saying Mourinho has made it absolutely clear to him that, he isn't going anywhere.
Of course he isnt, Mou is a fan. Some on here really think he is shit, but van Gaal and injuries + first season have dragged him massively down. In form, he is fantastic.

LouisDanGaal

Good player, struggled adjusting to the league after a bright start, but I have absolutely no doubts he is good enough to start for us. The good thing with Mourinho is if you do your job you stay in the team which hasn't been the case this season, players start to hit form, get dropped and then come back useless, if Darmian impresses pre-season I fancy him to have the right fullback spot locked down, not an easy task as Valencia is a very good right back but we'll see.

El Zoido

He's a lot better than Valencia, shame he had a disrupted season in a stuttering side. Jose will get the the best of of him though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm gonna say now that he'll improve in a big way under Mourinho and will be our nailed on first choice RB by the end of the season.

He's obviously a lot stronger in defence than attack, something that won't displease Mourinho given how much he loved Azpilicueta. Even his attacking game could improve if we assume that (like many others) he just didn't react well to LVG's rigid philosophy. It certainly seemed like his confidence went for a while too.

Plus it was his first year in a new country, which can always have an effect.

Of all the underwhelming signings who need to step up next year, he's the one I have most faith in.

Hed Zitin

I've seen more attacking intent from a rubber sword than this guy. His crosses have been worse than Valencia's this season and Valencia puts in more crosses because he can actually attack.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
cant believe some are saying Valencia is better. He simply is not. Darmain is a proper right back used so poorly by van idiot.

Mourinho will get the best out of him I'm sure.
So van Gaal told him to do absolutely in an attacking sense but not the other RBs, did he also tell him to consistently get skinned? Nah, he is just not that good.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
having Mata in front of him hardly helps. Get a proper winger and Darmain will be fine.
Why didn't it stop every other RB from attacking? Won't help much because he simply doesn't even try to venture forward. A proper winger will just mask how shit he is getting forward and his extremely limited ability on the ball. The only thing he has on Valencia is that he is a 'proper' right back.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Same is said for Mata, just replace the word winger for full back.
Mata isn't a right winger though, even with Valencia behind him he's subpar. He's a good footballer with some brilliant moments, but he's not cut out to be a winger, or a wide playmaker. It's beside the point though, Darmian is a good player, and I expect him to be given a chance under Mourinho. I think we're jumping to conclusions here considering the shit football the player were instructed to play. I'm going to trust Mourinho on this. If he keeps him, then it's fine by me. If he gets rid, it's fine by me. Best to wait and see.

pseudo_canadian

Absolutely ridiculous that people think Valencia is a better RB. It's laughable really.

Do people forget how shaky Valencia is defensively? No thank you.

3KDré

Valencia played well in his absence because he is a fast strong and hard worker. Darmian, however, is not a bad player. He was Van Gaalised and like most of our players will for sure improve under Jose I am sure. He started the season excellently, people seem to forget this. He deffo has the ability. We can't rely on Val forever as he is getting older and slower.

Varun

Staff
Mata isn't a right winger though, even with Valencia behind him he's subpar. He's a good footballer with some brilliant moments, but he's not cut out to be a winger, or a wide playmaker. It's beside the point though, Darmian is a good player, and I expect him to be given a chance under Mourinho. I think we're jumping to conclusions here considering the shit football the player were instructed to play. I'm going to trust Mourinho on this. If he keeps him, then it's fine by me. If he gets rid, it's fine by me. Best to wait and see.
I'm just pointing out the fallacy in the argument used. Ones defending Mata say he needs a better fullback, ones defending Darmian say he needs a better winger.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I'm just pointing out the fallacy in the argument used. Ones defending Mata say he needs a better fullback, ones defending Darmian say he needs a better winger.
Fair enough, it is a bit silly to use it as a comparison.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Mou knows his shit. He will stay.
Definitely this ^^^

I´m sure he´ll get the same he magnificiently got out of Paolo Ferreira, Asier del Horno, Khalid Boularouz :lol: and Shevchenko, Falcao, Cuadrado, Steve Sidwell, Nuri Sahin, Tel Bel Shite, Fabio Coentrao, SWP, Kezman, the list goes on and on . . . the man knows his shit.

Our attack was laughably boring and shite last year, as perfectly symbolized by Darmian. Why on earth do we want this guy around. I´m sure that attacking genius Mourinho will love him. This appreciation for Darmian is beyond delusional. Has there ever been a worse attacking fullback at United than Darmo?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Valencia was quite comfortably better than Darmian last season. Not even particularly close. When Darmian wasn't injured he was shite.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Absolutely ridiculous that people think Valencia is a better RB. It's laughable really.

Nobody is saying Valenica is Cafu MKII, but Darmian was shite for 3/4ths of the season, until he starts putting in performances for us I don't see why anyone would consider him our automatic first choice.
He may well be better next year, after a year to settle in Englsih football, and under Mourinho, but lets actually see him put in a couple performances first, beceause at this particular moment in time, Valencia gives us more at RB.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again

Yeah, did you see that first match against PSV and the first half against Arsenal and his first 5 minutes against Spuds and his like 10 yellow cards and those times LVG had to yank him at halftime. I somehow forgot how shaky Valencia is defensively.

"He [Darmian] gave too much space to Tadic in my opinion, so that's why I brought on Valencia," declared the United chief.

“I didn't see Tadic in the second half, did you?

Last edited:

stevoc

I am not Darmian's biggest fan (obviously) but i also think he could improve under Mourinho, well i hope he does anyway. But when i read some of the opinions on him in here i honestly have to wonder who some people were watching last year. Because going on this thread it wasn't the same Darmian i watched.

Had some bad games
Jesus thats an understatement if ever i saw one. Some bad games?

He had some diabolical games, some terrible games and some good games at the very start. But for the most part he was awful lets not beat around the bush here.

but far and away our best RB.
He's possibly the best RB in this squad but only because he's the only actual right back in it. Outside of his first few games Mensah, Valencia and Young had better performances there despite not being actual right backs.

I doubt they do, they also probably don't forget Darmian was as bad or worse while also providing nothing going forward. At least Tony gets forward and tried to help the team out in attack.

Has there ever been a worse attacking fullback at United than Darmo?
Thats an interesting question actually, despite us over the years playing centre backs, wingers and midfielders there due to injuries and suspensions i honestly have to say yes. He has definitely been the least attacking FB i can remember, there were games last year where he didn't venture over the half way line at all.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Needs more time but Valencia was comfortably better last season when he played.

I think Darmian got LVGed as he looked very good in his first few games. As I've said before it is very hard to judge any of our players based solely on most of the last two years simply because of the weird tactical instructions coming from the top.

m1y2

cant believe some are saying Valencia is better. He simply is not. Darmain is a proper right back used so poorly by van idiot.

Mourinho will get the best out of him I'm sure.
He wasn't used poorly, that can be said about attacking players.. It's not Van Gaal's fault that Darmian can't control football, his defending is just not good enough but there maybe space for improvement in this department as he was new to the league but attacking is always harder to develop, you either have it in you or not, he's 26 he will hardly get faster and learn how to dribble which is essential for modern day fullback. He's quite useless for today's football - we of course want to play and match the best teams in the world. I don't think he's one of those players who should get another season, it's just waste of space and money, it's clear from the moment one, he will struggle like Buttner struggled with defending.

I'd rather give chance to Varela who showed he can be a great attacking threat, yeah some occasional lapses in positioning let him down but Darmian himself was barely better in defending and was given much more chances to prove himself..

TBH I would spend money on a new fullback, someone like Cancelo

pseudo_canadian

I think people also forget that Darmian was blatantly our best player for about the first month and a half, then he got injured and subsequently LVG'd like 95% of the squad.

He's going to thrive under Mourinho.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Valencia was quite comfortably better than Darmian last season. Not even particularly close. When Darmian wasn't injured he was shite.
Thought he started the season off well, before LVG "philosophized" him. Hopefully, playing under Mourinho will return him to the form that made us buy him in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.