Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma

He has done absolutely nothing this game apart from that bad pass that nearly made a Belgium goal.

izec

Looks a bit unfit, slow and laboured. Plays like a 35 year old, needs to do something about his fitness.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
he was solid. No way he was crap or he would be getting beat by De Bruyne every time. However, I really hope he gains back his form at the start of the season, he was unstoppable back them. He has it in him just needs to unlock it again, thankfully we have Mourinho to help.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Sorry, LVG was like so totally amazing. He brought the best out of players. I wish he stayed! Where did I lay all the blame on LvG?
"Under a good manager, he does well". Lets completely ignore the very good seasons from De Gea, Smalling, Martial, Rashford, Fosu Mensah, Shaw (up to injury) and decent showings from Fosu Mensah, Blind, Valencia... have you considered that Darmian might have played shit because he's shit?

dichinero

"Under a good manager, he does well". Lets completely ignore the very good seasons from De Gea, Smalling, Martial, Rashford, Fosu Mensah, Shaw (up to injury) and decent showings from Fosu Mensah, Blind, Valencia... have you considered that Darmian might have played shit because he's shit?
And I repeat, I did not solely blame LvG for his season but he did not get the best put of the player. Darmian is not as bad as people are saying having watched a bit for 2 seasons at Torino and for Italy, prior to joining United. Conte is a better manager tactically and he somehow gets out good performances from Darmian.

The Assassin

looks like he's put some weight on & he's definitely lost some of his pace.
if he's staying he needs to put in a decent shift.

Devil may care

Fair enough mate, just over the last 6 months or so i keep seeing people make similar statements ''you don't play for Italy unless you are a good defender'' etc. as if playing for Italy is some sort of stamp of approval of defensive excellence.

That may have been true 10-20 years ago but the current standard of Italian defenders is at it's lowest that i can remember in my lifetime.

I don't think Darmian is a truly horrible player, he was awful for us last year yes. I hope he improves massively next season i think he's capable of it if he shows a bit more bravery in getting forward. But it's also possible he's not actually as good as he appeared to be in Italy.
I agree with you there mate, I was just replying to the idea that he was complete shit. The jury is very much out on if he can make it at United and right now I think he'd be behind Valencia when the season kicks off unless he really impresses Jose in pre-season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I thought he was pretty good tonight, and was definitely part of the reason why De Bruyne was so quiet. One misplaced pass aside, it was a promising performance.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Very good first half
One bad pass second which almost cost a goal and then got hooked
Suspect he'll start the next game though and rightfully so

stevoc

Looks a bit unfit, slow and laboured. Plays like a 35 year old, needs to do something about his fitness.
Second only to his total unwillingness to contribute anything going forward most of the time, my biggest worry about Darmian is his fitness.

All last year his fitness was bad despite playing game after game in a row. So it wasn't a match fitness problem, he may just have really poor stamina that the slower Italian league masked.

Hopefully he can improve on it for next year.

Perrick Dubois

It's amazing how bad some players can be under certain managers, times last season he couldn't string a pass together.
Common theme of being Vangled. "Don't mess up or you are dropped.." You could deduce three or four players playing like this last season. Darmian especially being a fullback.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
One bad pass and now he's crap. The cafe never fails to amuse.
Well no, a multitude of bad passes over the season, countless poor positionings, numerous times outmuscled, various times out paced, frequently falling to attack with the ball and umpteen times lacking an intelligent supporting run is what has lead us to the opinion that he is shit.

klayton88

Didn't catch the game but one question I think has been overlooked, and is probably the most important, is has he shaved that shite bit of fluff?

Mark Pawelek

Sell him. United have 10 players on their books who play right full back for the first team or reserves (more if you include the other U-18s). Some of these are highly rated. I've heard good things about Reid, Olosunde, and Williams. Joe Riley had a game where he played flawlessly (even at LB). Some people rate Varela better than Darmian, and he certainly attacks more, and is to my eyes clearly more skillful. If we keep Darmian as second choice, these other players have their careers hindered. Surely one of these prospects will turn out better than Darmian? Mourinho might not think like me but even he must know that he can't bring another player in while Darmian is paid £60k/week.
---------------------------- D-o-B -------- Age ---- Pay
Antonio Valencia ------ 04-Aug-85 ----- 30 ----- £70k/week
Matteo Darmian ------- 02-Dec-89 ----- 26 ----- £60k/week
Guillermo Varela ------ 24-Mar-93 ----- 23 ----- not that much
Sadiq El Fitouri -------- 10-Oct-94 ----- 21 ----- even less
Donald Love ----------- 02-Dec-94 ----- 21 ------ ..
Joe Riley --------------- 06-Dec-96 ----- 19
Charlie Scott ---------- 02-Sep-97 ----- 18
Tyler Reid ------------- 02-Sep-97 ----- 18
Matthew Olosunde ---- 07-Mar-98 ----- 18
Ro-Shaun Williams ---- 03-Sep-98 ----- 17

All this talk about £200m available in the transfer kitty, really means: Up to £100m plus another £100m from what can be raised from transfers out.

U99ted

Was this guy actually good before joining us?

If yes- why give up on him so fast? He might have been Vangled.
If no- why was he so overrated?

Dion

Sell him. United have 10 players on their books who play right full back for the first team or reserves (more if you include the other U-18s). Some of these are highly rated. I've heard good things about Reid, Olosunde, and Williams. Joe Riley had a game where he played flawlessly (even at LB). Some people rate Varela better than Darmian, and he certainly attacks more, and is to my eyes clearly more skillful. If we keep Darmian as second choice, these other players have their careers hindered. Surely one of these prospects will turn out better than Darmian? Mourinho might not think like me but even he must know that he can't bring another player in while Darmian is paid £60k/week.

All this talk about £200m available in the transfer kitty, really means: Up to £100m plus another £100m from what can be raised from transfers out.
Sadiq El Fitouri is the worst player I've ever seen represent Man Utd at any level. Darmian ruined England's left side and built up enough goodwill at Torino that most fans were happy for him.

There's clearly a very, very good player in there and he might never adapt to the English game, but he's well worth another shot as there are no great rightbacks on the market and the ones we do have all have injury issues.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

@limerickcitykid

Mark Pawelek

Was this guy actually good before joining us?

If yes- why give up on him so fast? He might have been Vangled.
If no- why was he so overrated?
What do you mean by good? He never had outstanding attacking stats. He's a defender. Watching his clip at Torino, it looks like he was never an attacking full-back. He defends. When we're playing against a team who've parked the bus is it really useful to have 5 players who'll play no part in attack: RB, 2 × CB, LB, and DCM? I don't hate Darmian. I just think the team needs more creative full-backs who can support their winger. Maybe not both at once, but one at a time on which ever wing the ball is. Is it really asking too much?

Before I agree he was "Vangled", tell us when was he so much better than he's now?
youtube

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He looked so good at the beginning of the season, was jealous of a mate who had snapped him up at Comunio. Won 'player of the month' against the likes of Shaw and Smalling, had the right mix of attacking and defending in him, no one could take him out. Don't know what happened...

Mourinho always liked having around a strong physical presence at one of the two sides. I think Shaw has shown enough to be considered as a starter, but i really don't know what to make out of Darmian. I'm under the impression that you can't give away the ball the way Darmian did, that mistake could have been quite costly for Italy. But if he's happy with a backup role, why not?

Revan

Assumptionman
Any idea he was playing as left winger? I think that he was playing more advanced than Giacherini, though I wasn't that concentrated on the match. Still weird to see him playing there, considering that attacking isn't his strongest ability.

ChaddyP

Any idea he was playing as left winger? I think that he was playing more advanced than Giacherini, though I wasn't that concentrated on the match. Still weird to see him playing there, considering that attacking isn't his strongest ability.
Italy set up 5 3 2 when defending then went 3 3 4 when attacking. he played as a wingback and was mostly used as an outlet to help bring the mids in play or someone for the strikers to knock down balls towards so that the rest of the team could transition into attack. Was actually well done from conte

RedDevil@84

That's the cafe. Subed off now, but apart from that pass, he really didn't do anything wrong. More or less kept KdB completely quiet down the Italian left side.
Don't think the caf seems satisfied with that. From the posts about fullbacks on caf, I could deduce that many caftards will only appreciate a full back if he is bombarding the side regularly. It is as if defending is secondary.
Some caftards even seem to be fine if the fullback's sudden burst forward creates a feckin hole in defense, as long as the player is running full speed into the attack.

RedDevil@84

I think Italy were playing 3-5-2

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Don't think the caf seems satisfied with that. From the posts about fullbacks on caf, I could deduce that many caftards will only appreciate a full back if he is bombarding the side regularly. It is as if defending is secondary.
Some caftards even seem to be fine if the fullback's sudden burst forward creates a feckin hole in defense, as long as the player is running full speed into the attack.
Yep that is strange. I think Darmian is a good Defender. Wingback did not suit him that well but he was quite ok.

stevoc

Nope many just realize that in the modern game, especially if you are a big club who will play against many teams that just sit back and defend deep you need your fullbacks to be able to attack as well as they defend. Teams parking the bus need to be stretched to create space, fullbacks play a part in this.

Also when we are the team under pressure the fullbacks need to be able to help the side attack on the break.

Go look at the recent Nani or Depay threads and see all the moaning about them being lazy and not tracking back to help their fullbacks defend. Well it's the same the other way around.

Theres no point having another very wide centre back who is good defensively but provides little of note going forward. Without a fullback making overlapping runs the wide player in front of them is constantly double teamed.

This happened to Mata and Lingard last year with Darmian behind them, he rarely ventured over the half way line in many games. I do hope he improves next season, but he will have to put way more effort into getting forward and helping the side attack. If other top fullbacks can contribute in attack and defence, then so can Darmian.

Sigma

Dropped against Sweden. Was useless against Belgium and Florenzi is a better player.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Italy were going to go more defensive against Belgium. I'm not surprised he'd go for a more attacking minded player against the Sweeds.

Sigma

Or I don't know it's a tactical decision. Not every time a player gets dropped it's cause he's 'useless'.
Would suggest that, since he was also taken off against Belgium as their first sub.

Varun

Staff
Florenzi is the better player, should have started the first game anyways.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Hope our interest in Fabinho is 4realzies. Darmian is very underwhelming.

Zoo

Would suggest that, since he was also taken off against Belgium as their first sub.
That sub was pre-planned, Conte said he would change a wingback on 60 minutes. Darmian wasn't that bad the other night.

Status
Not open for further replies.