Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ronaldo misses quite a lot of penalties as well and so does Messi. It's not a sign of being mentally weak at all.

It's a pretty daft criticism.
I will translate your post: It's a completely moronic criticism.

gza the genius

Feel for him, and for us. He was already low on confidence you'd assume after his season with us, he won't be in a good place when he comes back now either.

dove

C'mon... That's why he was 10th to take a penalty. It's obviously not his strength. Hopefully he forgets it quickly especially as he was not only one who missed...

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I bet some on here would have pissed themselves if they had to take one

Martial'sgaze

Is not about the penalty, just can't warm up to him as a player. He doesn't inspire confidence at all .

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Messi and Ronaldo are mentally weak then.
Penalty taking requires strong mental strength. Darmain clearly buckled under the pressure. Messi and Ronaldo have scored endless crucial penalties.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I will translate your post: It's a completely moronic criticism.
Can you elaborate? Do you think certain players are less confident and lack composure? Do you think that has an impact on their ability to take a penalty?

The general consensus is yes. As a result, many people expected Darmian to miss the penalty. There's plenty of evidence of that.

izec

I bet some on here would have pissed themselves if they had to take one
Not piss, but obviously shitting it. You arent as defensive to Schweini though. You always defend the weak/unpopular. I expected you to tear him apart here, like the German

dichinero

Good thing Ronaldo, Messi and Muller don't miss penalties in crucial stages.

Classical Mechanic

Missing a penalty is now a sign of weakness?
It depends on the frequency or context I guess but Gary Lineker always said it was 'the ultimate test of bottle'.

It depends on different factors but I would say it is harder for defensive players as they are not used to taking them and going into a high pressure situation to do something outside of their remit will be a factor.

You would probably have to look at a series of penalties to get a picture. C Ronaldo has missed in a CL final shootout but also scored in major tournament shootouts and scored the winner in this years CL final shootout.

As for Darmian, I would tend to say that he lacks confidence i.e. is mentally weak generally.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Not piss, but obviously shitting it. You arent as defensive to Schweini though. You always defend the weak/unpopular. I expected you to tear him apart here, like the German
tbh I don't really give too much of a feck about how our players do for the NT. Tt's more the criticism of him him being mentally weak made by posters on the internet on the basis of him missing a pen that I'm defending. As player I think Darmian was dogshite last season

NK86

He is weak mentally. We saw that this season already. Him taking a penalty was always going to end in disaster because of that. He couldn't even lift his head.
I didn't see a mentally weak player. All I saw was one who was finding it difficult to adapt to a different league. Not the same as mental weakness.

Classical Mechanic

We can be critical of him but he hit the target - which certain other lads failed to do. I think they made a point that Neuer was always diving the one side seemingly so he was out guessed. I'm sure he'll be alright and come back stronger. Zaza and Pelle on the other hand will probably get hit harder.
Hitting the target where he did is as bad as missing it IMO. A weak shot to a position and height where the keeper saves if he guesses right is worse than blasting it over. At least when you blasting it over your are being overly positive rather than too timid.

Revan

Assumptionman
Caf continues to amaze me. A defender who has shot no penalty in his professional career and who was shooting the ninth penalty, misses the pen and apparently is because he is mentality weak.

Guess what that makes Schweinsteiger and Muller. Or two strikers like Zaza and Pele. Or Bonucci who scored before.

Skills

Snitch
Caf continues to amaze me. A defender who has shot no penalty in his professional career and who was shooting the ninth penalty, misses the pen and apparently is because he is mentality weak.

Guess what that makes Schweinsteiger and Muller. Or two strikers like Zaza and Pele. Or Bonucci who scored before.
A tit.

Too easy.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Missed pen or not he should be one of the first players out the door this summer if anyone wants him.

Revan

Assumptionman
Other mentality weak players:

Roberto Baggio
David Trezeguet
Cristiano Ronaldo
Lionel Messi
John Terry
Clarence Seedorf
Andrei Shevchenko

All have missed more important penalties than Darmian today.

NK86

Yup, the guy who's scored 10 goals in 2 world cups, being the top scorer at one of them is mentally weak...
Some of the posts on here are laughable. I am shocked no one has used the same logic to call Messi mentally weak as not only did he miss the penalty which cost his country a trophy,he retired immediately after that.

Ban

Score?
Already said is not about the penalty but more about what he has served up in the past season. He lacks composure for someone playing in a top club and watching Italy nothing has changed, hence the LVG criticism unfair.

May be it had work.
He barely played for Italy in this Euros....

Ban

It depends on the frequency or context I guess but Gary Lineker always said it was 'the ultimate test of bottle'.

It depends on different factors but I would say it is harder for defensive players as they are not used to taking them and going into a high pressure situation to do something outside of their remit will be a factor.

You would probably have to look at a series of penalties to get a picture. C Ronaldo has missed in a CL final shootout but also scored in major tournament shootouts and scored the winner in this years CL final shootout.

As for Darmian, I would tend to say that he lacks confidence i.e. is mentally weak generally.
You can hardly look at series of pens with Darmian to get a picture.
Ronaldo missed, Ronaldo scored.
I don't think Darmian will shoot a penalty in the near future.

It's funny how you and others now think he's mentally weak just cause he missed a penalty.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Christ, he's obviously not comfortable taking penalties and that's why he wasn't included in the first 5 takers. It's got nothing to do with being mentally weak or strong. Not everyone has to be able to take them like Messi, Ronaldo and Baggio and even those players were/are missing them in crucial situations.

Neuer read him and saved it. At least he hit the target, unlike those arrogant clowns Zaza and Pelle, who were supposed to be good takers.

No need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Classical Mechanic

You can hardly look at series of pens with Darmian to get a picture.
Ronaldo missed, Ronaldo scored.
I don't think Darmian will shoot a penalty in the near future.

It's funny how you and others now think he's mentally weak just cause he missed a penalty.
Ronaldo scored a lot more than he missed to be fair.

But yes, you can't judge Darmian the penalty taker here with any great certainty but I though from quite shortly into his United career that he lacks confidence at the top level.

Turamb

Bet Mou wrote "Practice penalties" with a double line underneath on his notepad while watching Matteo and Bastian

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Regardless of his pen.. just looks like a guy who lacks the mentality to play at the highest level.

NK86

But yes, you can't judge Darmian the penalty taker here with any great certainty but I though from quite shortly into his United career that he lacks confidence at the top level.
Messi recently missed a far more crucial penalty which cost Argentina the Copa America. He then decided to retire from international football. What does that show about his mentality?

Ban

We had LVG. Most of the team was crap. He deserves at least one more chance. As others.

podurban2

Not much but I wasn't that impressed from what I did see.
He was highly regarded in Italy. I am suspect of his offensive capabilities, but give him another season to impress you, all players deserve two seasons (except Bebe).

Status
Not open for further replies.