Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
It's small margins. Hector's pen was just as bad but Buffon fecked up the save and he's now the hero.

ti vu

It's small margins. Hector's pen was just as bad but Buffon fecked up the save and he's now the hero.
Agree. And Bastian had a shit penalty too! Imagine if Germany lost the penalty shoot out.

Bastian for all the talk of his mental strength had quite some notable penalty miss. A notable one is the penalty miss vs Chelsea in CL final.

worldinmotion66

Jeez, have any of you ever taken a penalty in a meaningful scenario? I have, and it's pretty scary, especially when you barely have the energy for the run up. Give the guy a break.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Blaming Darmian is caf at its finest. He missed a pen, big deal. He isn't a pen taker- thats why he was 10th in line. You can blame Zaza or Pelle as these are forwards and you expect them to finish from 12 yards out. But there is nothing shameful for a defender who is believed to be the worst outfield pen taker in his team to miss his penalty against the 2nd best GK in the world

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Blaming Darmian is caf at its finest. He missed a pen, big deal. He isn't a pen taker- thats why he was 10th in line. You can blame Zaza or Pelle as these are forwards and you expect them to finish from 12 yards out. But there is nothing shameful for a defender who is believed to be the worst outfield pen taker in his team to miss his penalty against the 2nd best GK in the world
Its normal business around here. Being negative is a great way to get noticed.

Jerch

It was a normal safe bet pen which went wrong because goalkeeper jumped in the right direction. You often see that kind of pens when goalkeeper go in the wrong direction and a sure goal because it is not right in the corner so you can't miss a target.
And as someone else said, Hector penalty was the same with only difference that Buffon didn't save it.

Vanya

He's been in and out of the side throughout the season and at times when he started looking settled he got injured.

IMO defensively he is solid, but at the moment he seems short on confidence and lacks any sort of aggression when defending. Hopefully Mourinho can help him with that.

(A defender is not judged by his penalty taking abilities, especially if it's one pen in a one off game. Don't understand why it's even a topic for a discussion)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
so you base you assessment of a persons mentality on his how he looks on your tv during a football game?
Looks? based on how he plays obviously. He has never filled me with confidence apart from the first few games he played for us. A guy like Mourinho doesn't like putting much effort in to change weak players mentalities. He won't last the season. He just got called Denis Irwin FFS on the basis of what.. what has he shown in his career to date to be called Irwin?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It was a normal safe bet pen which went wrong because goalkeeper jumped in the right direction. You often see that kind of pens when goalkeeper go in the wrong direction and a sure goal because it is not right in the corner so you can't miss a target.
And as someone else said, Hector penalty was the same with only difference that Buffon didn't save it.
Hummels's pen was pretty much the same, even he couldn't believe that it went in.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sorry you don't agree but I think he could turn out to be a Denis Irwin type fullback in time. FFS
I'm going to agree with LazyBones here. I don't see a single similarity between them.

Robbie Boy

Dennis Irwin is seriously being compared to this bang average lad? Christ. One of the finest fullbacks of the PL era compared to a player that had a pretty poor first season for us. Wow.

stevoc

Jose had a big favourite in Azpilicueta at Chelsea, I think Darmian might just be his type of fullback, he is quite similar, a Denis Irwin type, consistent and reliable.
No he isn't mate seriously.

Irwin was great defensively and very good going forward. He rarely ever had a bad game, Darmian rarely had a good one for us least year.

Darmian might get better defensively next year but he'll never pull his weight attacking wise in my opinion.

LazyBones

Sorry you don't agree but I think he could turn out to be a Denis Irwin type fullback in time. FFS
When Alex Ferguson was asked to name his best team from his 26 years in charge he said Denis Irwin would be the first name on his team every time. After that he couldn't say who else would make the team. Think about that for a second. And you compare a player who had a below average season to Denis Irwin?? Please Stop.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...st-team-ever-says-alex-ferguson-29711450.html

Last edited:

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Worth keeping him around as he covers a few options but I would prefer Valencia and TFM ahead of him at RB and Shaw/CBJ ahead of him at LB. He's just nowhere near good enough on the ball

dichinero

If we sold every player that came from a foreign league after one poor season, we wouldn't have had the best CB, LB and GK in the league in the last 10 years.

CallMeV

People have such short memories. Last year in pre-season he looked like an absolute steal for the money we paid.
A no nonsense defender that was impossible to get past.

Slowly and steadily his form declined as LvG stifled him (and many others).

He will no doubt shine again, given the chance. I have full confidence in Mourinho when it comes to bringing the best out of him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
People have such short memories. Last year in pre-season he looked like an absolute steal for the money we paid.
A no nonsense defender that was impossible to get past.

Slowly and steadily his form declined as LvG stifled him (and many others).

He will no doubt shine again, given the chance. I have full confidence in Mourinho when it comes to bringing the best out of him.
Very good point. He's far better than he gets credit for on here. I'm sure he will be much better under Mourinho next year.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Just look at the club's linked with him. Juve, Barca and Chelsea. Would be ridiculous to bin him.

gza the genius

He definitely deserves another season. He started out well and was obviously very highly rated in Italy before this season as well. If we got rid of every player that played poorly last season we'd basically just have DDG and Martial.

Robbie Boy

Selling him would be silly alright. However, he really needs to step it up big time next season. He started off well and then his form drastically dropped off.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
In his early games, he was really very good. Then he declined, just like 80% of the team. Same reason why Di Maria looked so freaking good for us early on then became dog shit - LVG's man management.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Assuming the fourth signing is Pogba, I guess we'll be starting a bit like this:

De Gea
Darmian, Smalling, Bailly, Shaw
Pogba, Schneiderlin
Mkhitariyan, Rooney, Martial
Zlatan

If we think our new signings won't do an Evra and take a season to adjust and that the likes of Darmian/Schneiderlin did do an Evra and will improve this season, then that isn't too shabby.

the unknown one.

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door
Why is Darmian rated so highly on here?

He was absolutely appalling last season and got progressively worse as the season progressed.

He is poor offensively and defensively.

He has no pace, strength or heading ability, he is a poor passer and crosser of the ball.

He has little composure and seems to wilt on the big stage.

His performance against Spurs sums him up, he replaced a young kid in TFM who was playing out of position and within 10 minutes we had conceded three goals.

Valencia has his weaknesses but is vastly better at RB than Darmian.

Varela and TFM are both better at RB as well and have a large scope for improvement in the future.

We should sell now before his value plummets even further.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum

He was absolutely appalling last season and got progressively worse as the season progressed.

He has no pace, strength or heading ability, he is a poor passer and crosser of the ball.

His performance against Spurs sums him up, he replaced a young kid in TFM who was playing out of position and within 10 minutes we had conceded three goals.

Varela and TFM are both better at RB as well and have a large scope for improvement in the future.

Don't hold back, say what you really feel..
But no, there's a lot of us who have mostly similar thoughts but we're willing to give Darmian another season given it's his firist year in a new country/league and let's be honest, many players underperformed under LvG and we hold hope the new manager can get more from a bunch of them this season.

Steven7290

You must have posted on the wrong forum then.

the unknown one.

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door
Don't hold back, say what you really feel..
But no, there's a lot of us who have mostly similar thoughts but we're willing to give Darmian another season given it's his firist year in a new country/league and let's be honest, many players underperformed under LvG and we hold hope the new manager can get more from a bunch of them this season.
He has none of the attributes to be a top right back.

Physically, technically and mentally he is poor, Jose is not a magician.

Varela and especially TFM have massive potential and are currently better than Darmian.

Keeping him is harmful to their development. If an experienced option is needed at RB Valencia is the vastly superior choice.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I don't blame him for anything but when I saw he stepped up for that penalty, I said to my dad, I just know he is going to miss, I'am 100% certain and he did.

The guy oozes doubt, fear, doesn't look confident at all. Been very poor this season for us and never shined through except maybay in his first games.

If Jose can fix him, he is welcome to stay but if not then we simply have to sell. He looks one of the poorest players I have seen in a united shirt for a very long time.

People on here like to bash Rooney and Fellaini and I don't like the way they are playing either but imo performances of Darmian and Depay have been ones that are truely unacceptable at this level. They will have to step up massively under Jose, starting first game in pre-season, if they don't they will go out very soon.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He has none of the attributes to be a top right back.

Physically, technically and mentally he is poor, Jose is not a magician.

Varela and especially TFM have massive potential and are currently better than Darmian.

Keeping him is harmful to their development. If an experienced option is needed at RB Valencia is the vastly superior choice.
I also much prefer Valencia at RB, despite how many people on here seem to have an irrational dislike for the guy, but Darmian has shown previously for Italy and Torino he has some talent about him. In preseason he looked very good, and the first few games he also put in some solid performances before he lost all confidence the longer the season went on.
He didn't cost a bomb and we wouldn't get a massive amount from him anyway you'd feel... so I don't see the harm in keeping him around another year to see if he can progress. Thats just my take on the situation anyway.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
]I don't blame him for anything but when I saw he stepped up for that penalty, I said to my dad, I just know he is going to miss, I'am 100% certain and he did.
I did exactly the same thing. I just knew after this season he had, he would be the 1 to blow it :lol:

ZAGREB RED

When Alex Ferguson was asked to name his best team from his 26 years in charge he said Denis Irwin would be the first name on his team every time. After that he couldn't say who else would make the team. Think about that for a second. And you compare a player who had a below average season to Denis Irwin?? Please Stop.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...st-team-ever-says-alex-ferguson-29711450.html
He started off well, then regressed alarmingly, but how many United players DID have a good season last year ? I think he COULD be a steady and consistent performer in years to come, but then again he might not. He deserves a chance same as everyone else. Jose likes steady and reliable fullbacks like Ferreira and Azpilicueta. Their are plenty of options at right back currently. Hopefully the majority of the squad will start playing under again Jose.
This is a forum where people give their opinions and discuss things, if you totally disagree with something I say, that's fine, no worries, but don't tell me or anyone else to stop expressing their opinions. Ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.