Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

Loses his place to an 18 year old; 18 year old gets injured; replaces 18 year old; concede three goals from attacks down his side in 6 minutes! Ouch.

Feel a bit sorry for him though, he looks like a nice boy.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Just another one of Dr LvG's successful experiments. Somehow turns Italy's best right back into a fecking blind donkey is one season.

How can he go from brilliant in his first 6 or 7 games to this...? How is it possible?

Winrar

Just another one of Dr LvG's successful experiments. Somehow turns Italy's best right back into a fecking blind donkey is one season.

How can he go from brilliant in his first 6 or 7 games to this...? How is it possible?
I don't want to make excuses for him, but the drop off in performance is alarming.

I wouldn't say he was brilliant per se, but he certainly looked solid and not completely clueless like he is is now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For a guy who is suppose to be great at tackling, he does give away plenty of fouls away, i am just surprised how poor he is, given his reputation when we bought him. He and Rojo are both so shit its unthinkable. We have been robbed with these two players, and to think we have given Rafa away for these two jerks.
He gets beaten by anyone with decent pace, and lacks in a lot of ways, but close up tackling he's good.
for some reason I then thought about Jonny Evans, who I thought was sh!t at most things, but good at interceptions!

Rojo is just average I think, and zero attacking threat. I don't especially understand the "sh!t" business, but do understand when you lose, it's very easy to call everyone it.
I think bar Martial, De Gea and Rashford everyone has been labelled it at least once this season!

Sylar

Easy, he wasn't brilliant in his first 6 or 7 games.
It is bollocks. Look around page 21 of this thread for proof of opinion of him when he started out. And its no surprise hes not the only one whos suffered as a result.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
As soon as he came on i knew the game was over that's how lowly I rate him. Never got the hype of the pre season.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It is bollocks. Look around page 21 of this thread for proof of opinion of him when he started out. And its no surprise hes not the only one whos suffered as a result.
That doesn't mean shit, people were wanking themselves silly every time Schweinsteiger touch the pitch without doing shit. New signings are always overrated on here, threads were made because Memphis was so great and complaining he wasn't getting to play every minute of every game. He was pretty good for the first month in a really strong backline in which he was the worst member of. Hardly that impressive and certainly not brilliant. Once the rest of the backline's levels dropped he has turned to absolute shite.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Darmian has had about 2/3 good games in his United career and even in those he was rather shite going forward. His rashness and poor positional sense was fairly obvious even in the initial games. He's a bit shit. Nothing to do with LVG.

Manny

Grammar Police
Easy, he wasn't brilliant in his first 6 or 7 games.
I agree. I didn't get the early plaudits.

Some average performances were hyped up because a section of the support were eager not to have Valencia as the starting right back.

Sylar

That doesn't mean shit, people were wanking themselves silly every time Schweinsteiger touch the pitch without doing shit. New signings are always overrated on here, threads were made because Memphis was so great and complaining he wasn't getting to play every minute of every game. He was pretty good for the first month in a really strong backline in which he was the worst member of. Hardly that impressive and certainly not brilliant. Once the rest of the backline's levels dropped he has turned to absolute shite.
I dont get your bolded part when your next line is about Darmian being pretty good for the first month. Whether he was the weakest part makes no difference either. Its like me saying Scholes was really good but the weakest in our midfield of Scholes/Keane/Beckham/Giggs. It doesnt diminish his own levels.

His defending was more than decent as you said in another post. In fact you just said he was pretty good. Fine line in opinion between pretty good and brilliant.

Plus if he was a one-off player that has regressed I could buy that. But its no shock hes not the first one that has struggled (especially with the whole crap of switching him from LB to RB back to LB back to RB stuff we did). His defending has certainly regressed and I blame the manager for the most part (but he should take his own responsibility).

stevoc

He was beside Eriksen. Eriksen crossed it and Alli was free. When Mensah was on, there were plenty of crosses that come from that side. It just so happened that they scored off two of them.

Plenty of players give away free kicks. As a team, we still have to make sure we mark up.

Darmian's played in our last couple of games and has done well, where he's been part of a back four keeping a clean sheet against both, City and Everton. People were questioning his omission from the team today.
He wasn't tight enough on Eriksen, as usual he was slack in his positioning.

Plenty of players give away free kicks but it's a regular feature of Darmian's game, it was a brainless tackle as well that conceded it.

He's just an awful player, it's great that people still want to support/defend him and only see the positives but even at his best he is just ok defensively and going forward well.. he doesn't.

All in all a rather pointless player, we should have a much better RB.

stevoc

Brilliant is a bit of an overstatement. Played well, looked solid defensively yes, brilliant hell fecking no.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I dont get your bolded part when your next line is about Darmian being pretty good for the first month. Whether he was the weakest part makes no difference either. Its like me saying Scholes was really good but the weakest in our midfield of Scholes/Keane/Beckham/Giggs. It doesnt diminish his own levels.

His defending was more than decent as you said in another post. In fact you just said he was pretty good. Fine line in opinion between pretty good and brilliant.

Plus if he was a one-off player that has regressed I could buy that. But its no shock hes not the first one that has struggled (especially with the whole crap of switching him from LB to RB back to LB back to RB stuff we did). His defending has certainly regressed and I blame the manager for the most part (but he should take his own responsibility).
The bolded part is that people wank themselves silly over every new signing so what they post after a signing means absolutely nothing so there is no point referencing back to it.

I'd disagree, there is a huge line between pretty good and brilliant. Pretty good is slight above decent. Brilliant is one of the best players on the team and in the league, that he certainly was not. Him being the weakest part does make a difference because he was playing off the strength of the other players and when it came time for him to step up and support them he turned to shit. He hasn't shown an ounce of attacking ability from the get go which is embarrassing. The whole excuse of being shifted around is bullshit imo too as he has hardly been shifted around at all and 2 of his better performances have actually been on the left.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Needs to deal with whatever his "beard" is before he fixes the footballing side I think. Awful.

Performance wise I'm hoping he'll be a lot better next season to say the least. I think he will be though. Italians are pretty intent on saying he's a very good player and United fans don't know how good he is yet and all that. Definitely plays better for the national team then for United. Would probably help having a good winger in front of him to mask his attacking deficiencies instead of having Mata there too.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I've defended both him and Rojo in the past, but feck me he looks an appalling player.

Blind, Rojo, Darmian, Jones should all be nowhere near a United defense. Requiring time to develop is no longer acceptable when we're in such dire straits in the present.

Sparky Rhiwabon

That was one of the worst displays by a United full back that I've seen - good job it was only for 25 minutes or whatever! Colin Gibson - all is forgiven!

stevoc

The weirdest thing is that, despite what we have seen from him since arriving, some on here still think he's great defensively and only poor in an offensive sense.
I think standards have dropped to such a low level some don't know better any more.

I seen his early form described as brilliant a few pages back. If Darmian's displays in August were brilliant then what the feck were Neville, Irwin and Evra?

Robbie Boy

I think standards have dropped to such a low level some don't know better any more.

I seen his early form described as brilliant a few pages back. If Darmian's displays in August were brilliant then what the feck were Neville, Irwin and Evra?
Your first paragraph answered your second there really. A-lot of fans have accepted blatant mediocrity and when a player has anything that resembles an adequate performance, some on here praise them to the hilt.

I've read some in the Lingard thread this season call him brilliant and describe some of his performances as excellent; there's also posters in here that think Darmian is 'excellent' in a defensive sense. I mean, that just says it all really.

stevoc

Your first paragraph answered your second there really. A-lot of fans have accepted blatant mediocrity and when a player has anything that resembles an adequate performance, some on here praise them to the hilt.

I've read some in the Lingard thread this season call him brilliant and describe some of his performances as excellent; there's also posters in here that think Darmian is 'excellent' in a defensive sense. I mean, that just says it all really.
Yeah standards have really fell off a cliff among United fans.

I went into the Lingard performance thread for the first time a few weeks back. Wow couldn't believe half of what i was reading, as you say loads who think he's been brilliant. All i see is a kid who fair play to him tries hard but is mostly a passenger. 4-5 years ago under Fergie a player like that would have been on the outskirts of the squad like Obertan, Bebe etc. but under Van Gutt-a-squad he's a permanent fixture in the first XI.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yeah standards have really fell off a cliff among United fans.

I went into the Lingard performance thread for the first time a few weeks back. Wow couldn't believe half of what i was reading, as you say loads who think he's been brilliant. All i see is a kid who fair play to him tries hard but is mostly a passenger. 4-5 years ago under Fergie a player like that would have been on the outskirts of the squad like Obertan, Bebe etc. but under Van Gutt-a-squad he's a permanent fixture in the first XI.
Don't think hes been great but seriously who do you play instead?

Name Changed

weso26
I thought he was good initially. But he really has just turned to shit. He has 20 odd caps for Italy though, obviously as a defender, so he must have something going for him. Maybe he will improve under a different manager. He obviously has a lot more to his game. I wouldn't give up hope just yet. He's no Denis Irwin though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The initial positive reaction to Darmian was mostly fuelled by 'shiny new toy' and 'I hate Valencia so I want to big up the new guy'.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
For Lingard in no particular order at AM Mata, Herrera, Rooney, Fellaini. At RW Young, Valencia, Januzaj, Depay.
Mainly been unavailable, not sure about Valencia either tbh. Also Memphis doesn't deserve to be starting ahead of Lingard (or at least didn't)
Like I said before don't think hes been good, but hes been better than Memphis (despite the latter being more talented)

Status
Not open for further replies.