Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roseguy64

Good at defending. Mediocre at attacking. Sums up most of his performances for us. Gets burned sometimes but no more than anyone else.

stevoc

He is our 3rd choice or 4th Choice Left Back. Considering that, I thought he put in a decent shift. Hence, me labelling his performance as "Acceptable". As for worst ever full back we signed, it's tough to say. Buttner was pretty poor too tactically (Although he did play well against Bayern). Then there's Blackett who was calamitous.
Nah 2nd, 3rd 4th choice it doesn't matter. He's 2nd choice on the right and he's as bad there. Nothing about the type of performances he regularly offers up is good enough in my opinion. He just doesn't put enough effort into helping the side attack, how he's got to this stage of his career as a full back without developing that side of his game i will never know. Or why we ever thought he would be a good fullback in the PL is equally baffling.

Buttner was pretty poor for the most part but id say he was about as good defensively as Darmian yet much, much better attacking wise. And he wasn't even that great at that either.

Blackett maybe worse yes but even than there wouldn't be much in it between him and Darmian. Plus he was an Academy product.

marlowe78

Yesterday really underlined what we look like when Blind isn't playing at fullback. In a game where we badly needed wing play (made worse by the fact that Lingard was offering nothing), we had this fellow and Valencia across from him on a road to nowhere.

Top priority for the January window should be getting a veteran fullback who offers something going forward - preferably someone who can play either side. Or I wouldn't mind CBJ coming back.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Well there is a bit... I mean, if Darmian was any form of an attacking threat, Jose wouldn't have put Rojo there, he'd simply have just taken Rojo/Jones off.
No, not really. He put an attacking player on and moved to a 3-man defense. Rojo is comfortable both at CB and LB so it was an easy decision. Also awkward to play with 3 at the back with none of them being left footed.

It makes the decision easier because Darmian isn't anything special. Wouldn't have made a difference in hindsight had he taken Valencia off who I thought had his worst game this season.

Devil81

Darmian is the worst player in our squad, I personally feel we need a left back to cover or take over from Luke Shaw.

tomaldinho1

Yesterday really underlined what we look like when Blind isn't playing at fullback. In a game where we badly needed wing play (made worse by the fact that Lingard was offering nothing), we had this fellow and Valencia across from him on a road to nowhere.

Top priority for the January window should be getting a veteran fullback who offers something going forward - preferably someone who can play either side. Or I wouldn't mind CBJ coming back.
Bring back Patrice!

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Valencia is in with a shout to be our player of the year!

Revan

Assumptionman
Darmian is the worst player in our squad, I personally feel we need a left back to cover or take over from Luke Shaw.
Blind?

When we sign a new CB, I think that Blind will be put permanently as a LB and fight it with Shaw. Obviously, it will be a very short fight if Shaw manages to come back to the form he was on last season before that awful injury.

NoPace

Has been very good lately against wingers trying to dribble him, but even worse going forward. Seems like his role in the squad will be Valencia's backup. At LB we have Shaw, Blind and Rojo ahead of him.

I'm not sure 2nd choice RB is enough minutes for him to start for Italy and be happy and if Fosu-Mensah ends up at RB, we could probably get 10M or so for Darmian, and he might want to start for a team like Roma, Napoli, Fiorentina or one of the Milan sides.

m1y2

He was fine, the overreaction is bizarre. There's no inbetween I swear.

He's a squad player, when Shaw is back firing he'll be first choice LB.
I believed his reputations's dragged down by his longterm prospects which are none and his poor to average 35 games out of 37... sort of like Rooney situation everyone knows we have better options there but he will start from time to time despite palyers like Rashford/Martial could do better and develop into better palyers by playing the games..

Similar things also appear in the Lingard and Smalling threads, nothing in between, they are either great or shit and should be sold but in this case, it's bullshit because there will be important players for Manchester United for the next few years either as an impact subs or starters

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
No, not really. He put an attacking player on and moved to a 3-man defense. Rojo is comfortable both at CB and LB so it was an easy decision. Also awkward to play with 3 at the back with none of them being left footed.

It makes the decision easier because Darmian isn't anything special. Wouldn't have made a difference in hindsight had he taken Valencia off who I thought had his worst game this season.
... We moved to a 4 at the back? Carrick was playing as CB.

Norris

Nah 2nd, 3rd 4th choice it doesn't matter. He's 2nd choice on the right and he's as bad there. Nothing about the type of performances he regularly offers up is good enough in my opinion. He just doesn't put enough effort into helping the side attack, how he's got to this stage of his career as a full back without developing that side of his game i will never know. Or why we ever thought he would be a good fullback in the PL is equally baffling.

Buttner was pretty poor for the most part but id say he was about as good defensively as Darmian yet much, much better attacking wise. And he wasn't even that great at that either.

Blackett maybe worse yes but even than there wouldn't be much in it between him and Darmian. Plus he was an Academy product.
He was actually very good at attacking at Torino from what I read on him. He was usually the only outlet who provided width to the right or left hand side of the team as a wing back. What's happened here must be a confidence issue I reckon. He does seem mentally fragile.

stevoc

He was actually very good at attacking at Torino from what I read on him. He was usually the only outlet who provided width to the right or left hand side of the team as a wing back. What's happened here must be a confidence issue I reckon. He does seem mentally fragile.
No doubt thats part of it, but it's also a fitness issue i think. He fades late in games and i think part of his reluctance to get forward is to conserve energy for later in the game. He just seems to have naturally poor stamina, with the PL being a much faster paced and more physical league he struggles with it.

Yeah a few people have said he was better as a wing-back in the more conservative Italian formations, i'm willing to believe that. But it also raises the question if the guy ever actually played much as a proper fullback. It seems like a failure on United/LVG's part to properly scout and assess a player.

He just seems like a guy at the wrong team, in the wrong league playing in the wrong position in a formation that doesn't suit him. I'm sure once he goes back to Italy he will regain his form in a more comfortable environment.

Norris

No doubt thats part of it, but it's also a fitness issue i think. He fades late in games and i think part of his reluctance to get forward is to conserve energy for later in the game. He just seems to have naturally poor stamina, with the PL being a much faster paced and more physical league he struggles with it.

Yeah a few people have said he was better as a wing-back in the more conservative Italian formations, i'm willing to believe that. But it also raises the question if the guy ever actually played much as a proper fullback. It seems like a failure on United/LVG's part to properly scout and assess a player.

He just seems like a guy at the wrong team, in the wrong league playing in the wrong position in a formation that doesn't suit him. I'm sure once he goes back to Italy he will regain his form in a more comfortable environment.
I am not sure on the fitness part. We see him gasping quite a bit early in the game, but many players do that. For example, Pogba does that, but he's an engine and can easily play 120 mins. Even when he made his debut, Darmian gave the impression that he wouldn't last 90 mins but then managed that easily. I just think it's more of a case where he appears jaded and tired, but is in fact not. He made a few good tackles and won a fair few headers under LvG's tenure even late in the game.

stevoc

I am not sure on the fitness part. We see him gasping quite a bit early in the game, but many players do that. For example, Pogba does that, but he's an engine and can easily play 120 mins. Even when he made his debut, Darmian gave the impression that he wouldn't last 90 mins but then managed that easily. I just think it's more of a case where he appears jaded and tired, but is in fact not. He made a few good tackles and won a fair few headers under LvG's tenure even late in the game.
Well we can disagree on that. To me he's always sucking wind towards the end of games. LVG subbed him off late quite a lot, and when he does stay on he quite often struggles late in games. Against Sissoko the other week for example.

Norris

Against Sissoko the other week for example.
Sissoko was in fine form in that game. I'm sure even someone like Blind would have probably struggled against him. We are sure to keep him till season end. So let's see how he performs for the rest of the games he plays fitness wise, since I pretty much agree with you in that in an attacking sense, he offers next to nothing.

stevoc

Sissoko was in fine form in that game. I'm sure even someone like Blind would have probably struggled against him. We are sure to keep him till season end. So let's see how he performs for the rest of the games he plays fitness wise, since I pretty much agree with you in that in an attacking sense, he offers next to nothing.
Oh no doubt, no point in letting him leave when we have no real back up for Valencia. But i think come summer he's gone unless he has a turn around in form the likes of which i have rarely ever seen.

MounchesterUtd

Posters at Juventuz seem to not mind swapping him for Evra. Not sure if we're missing a trick with him, but I can't remember the last time Darmian played where he was more than average for us.

Unlikely lad

Oh no doubt, no point in letting him leave when we have no real back up for Valencia. But i think come summer he's gone unless he has a turn around in form the likes of which i have rarely ever seen.
ie: doing a Rojo

izec

Posters at Juventuz seem to not mind swapping him for Evra. Not sure if we're missing a trick with him, but I can't remember the last time Darmian played where he was more than average for us.
Of course they dont mind it, Darmian would play very well for them. Best team in the league and he already played well in Seria A and knows the league inside out, plus can play on both flanks. They would profit far more than we would.

MounchesterUtd

Of course they dont mind it, Darmian would play very well for them. Best team in the league and he already played well in Seria A and knows the league inside out, plus can play on both flanks. They would profit far more than we would.
Great points.

Do you think we can still squeeze something out of Darmian and maybe turn him into a decent squad player or is it time to cut our losses?

izec

Great points.

Do you think we can still squeeze something out of Darmian and maybe turn him into a decent squad player or is it time to cut our losses?
I think he could be a decent squad player for us, he just turned 27 and should be performing better anyway than what we have seen.

But we could also easily sell him to a Seria A side, think a number of good clubs would be interested in his services. At the end of the day if we get a decent offer and recoup most of the money we spent on him, i wouldn't be sad. I think most on here want him sold anyway.

stevoc

ie: doing a Rojo
Yeah but the difference being Rojo was playing out of his natural position, and came into good form when moved back to CB.

Can't see how that will happen for Darmian unless we switch to a conservative 352 formation and start playing him at Wing-back like he played in Italy, which is highly unlikely i would have thought.

Danny

Not sure what the fuss is over Darmian really. He's a staedy player and most likely carries out the instructions of Mourinho- which is why he trusts him to cover at left back. I thought he did well against West Ham and he helped keep some of their flair players under control (made a few stand tackles on Payet and Lanzini) especially before the red card.

He's limited but he's also one of the players that won't kick up a fuss should he find himself on the bench regularly, and you need players like that if you want to be successful.

Man Utd 2:0 Hull City

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't see any quality on him. If he wasn't an Italian defender i don't think anyone would have bought him. Technically he is like a depressed Tony V: He knows he can't do it, but doesn't even think of trying.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I don't see any quality on him. If he wasn't an Italian defender i don't think anyone would have bought him. Technically he is like a depressed Tony V: He knows he can't do it, but doesn't even think of trying.
What an odd time to bump his thread, our most creative player in the first half, probbaly should've had two assists to his name.

m1y2

basically one of the worst players in the squad, not even a squad player for me so hopefully we upgrade on him in the next transfer windows as he's just painful to watch. wasted time and money. TFM would be better option..

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He hesitates, he's soft, he offers feck all going forward.. He's not going to make it here.

And this isn't just in relation to his performance tonight but in general.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Superb cross. Couldn't have 3 assists today, comfortably.

JoaquinJoaquin

He hasn't even been bad today. Some people just love to criticise by the looks of it. I don't think he is the long term answer but not as bad as people make out.

Ban

Really good game overall, was really active in offense, had some nice crosses, capped it all with an assist.

Unfortunately some posters didn't watch the game.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I still hope he's well gone by next season but he was actually decent today.
Tony V is an ironman but if he were to pick up a knock, I'd rather have Darmian in reserve. He's not quite as good as left back but always does a job.

Good game today but barely had to do anything defensively and ended up playing as an additional left winger.

JeffBoomTetris

Defensively he was troubled a bit today. But his positioning and subsequent control of the football when he was passed to in attacking phases was impeccable. Nice cross too. It's crazy isn't it that Darmian, Blind and Rojo all can provide nice crosses from leftback when they concentrate.

m1y2

I just dont understand what was so good about his performance, forgetting his good assist cross, alright he deserves praise but everytime he's on the ball he's just painful to watch, also was skinned a couple of times today..

We will see how big difference it is when Shaw gets finally fit again.

Status
Not open for further replies.