Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If both full backs are high up we'll be in trouble at the back. I think Darmian played perfectly as instructed and doesn't deserve criticism after this performance. Was very solid at the back and there was nothing dangerous happening on the right side besides that one time that Martial fell asleep in the first half (which he cleared up himself).

Don't know why people aren't happy when a backup performs like that. Shaw hasn't been fit so there's no use talking about him like an option until he sorts out his fitness.

Zoo

He was fine but at home Blind needs to play. Mourinho should stop worrying so much about the opposition.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Very good performance. Does what he asked to do very well and looks defensively solid.

He's simply never going to be a both directions left back. He's conservative and solid. gets forward better on the right but hasn't played there in ages.

For all those wishing he was as attacking as Valencia, we need to remember that we don't really have any kind of working dynamic on either side of the pitch. Valencia may get higher up the pitch and look attacking, but he's not really creating all that much.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
One obvious area we can upgrade massively. Having a player who can overlap and contribute in attack on the left side would add another dimension. Maybe Shaw can be that player.

Kostur

海尔的老板
He's bailed Jones/Rojo today atleast once in a very shit situation, one of our better players today imo.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He was decent today but boy do we need a proper left back.

Sylar

Good player but not good enough going forward. I prefer CBJ
Agreed with that. CBJ put in some really good crosses last season when used. Ideally would like to see Shaw make the position his however.

kundalini

I thought he did a decent job defensively, which is about as much as you could reasonably hope for given Liverpool's attacking threat.

Ashley R1+O

Very good performance. Does what he asked to do very well and looks defensively solid.

He's simply never going to be a both directions left back. He's conservative and solid. gets forward better on the right but hasn't played there in ages.
Yep described it well, thought he did fine. Very solid.

Jaybomb

He's solid. Thats it.

We need a pacier attacking full back in the mold of Dani Alves. Valencia has been decent but his crossing is shit.

Gary Neville really was underrated when you think about it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Does he ever look comfortable? Even the decent bits of defending he does look a bit panicked...

He did well against Liverpool. Solid defensively, which is his actual job, and got forward from time to time for once. Right now Shaw can't do the first bit right so we should not be playing him just because he likes to get forward. Defend first attack second.

OzKangarooney

Probably his best game for us, either that game or one of his first two. It's been obvious in the whole season and a half between these good performances that he is not good enough so we do need to look at getting some fullbacks, i would even take one this window tbh

facund

I am not a big fan but he did pretty well defensively yesterday so credit where it is due.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Just a complete wimp in possession. Gets the ball and passes it to the nearest person he can. He then shies away from moving into a threatening position and hides. Don't want him anywhere near the starting 11 tbh.

dichinero

Hasn't Jose come out on more than one occasion that Darmian has been instructed not to attack? We have Valencia bombing down the right which leaves Darmian shifting inside to join the 2 CBs to make a back 3. In the recent run, most attacks have come down Valencia's flank because naturally he will leave space behind him when he attacks unlike Darmian who's under instruction to stay. I don't know why people man when you know what to expect and get it.

stevoc

Hasn't Jose come out on more than one occasion that Darmian has been instructed not to attack? We have Valencia bombing down the right which leaves Darmian shifting inside to join the 2 CBs to make a back 3. In the recent run, most attacks have come down Valencia's flank because naturally he will leave space behind him when he attacks unlike Darmian who's under instruction to stay. I don't know why people man when you know what to expect and get it.
The unwillingness to get forward and attack has been a feature of his game since he joined the club under Van Gaal. So unless Louis told him the similar the lack of attacking in his game is not down to following instructions. It's more than likely just how he plays.

Having said that the last two games he has at least tried to get forward a bit more than usual so fair play to him for that at least. But long term (this summer hopefully) we need to replace him with a more capable fullback.

dichinero

The unwillingness to get forward and attack has been a feature of his game since he joined the club under Van Gaal. So unless Louis told him the similar the lack of attacking in his game is not down to following instructions. It's more than likely just how he plays.

Having said that the last two games he has at least tried to get forward a bit more than usual so fair play to him for that at least. But long term (this summer hopefully) we need to replace him with a more capable fullback.
I watched him for a season at Torino and he was pretty decent going forward and deservedly got call up to the Azzuri. He also played a binder in the WC against England and there was enough evidence for me to be pleased with his transfer to United. In the first handful of games, there was no issue with him going forward.

For me, it is very possible that LvG stiffled him as he did with so many players offensively. Italian players are brought on tactics more than most other leagues so it's possible that he took on LvG's philosophies way too much. But more importantly, I think our league is just a bit too demanding physically and had he not been injured and dropped too early last maybe he might have improved on that front.

I like Darmian but even I can't deny that our league's demand upon FBs are more physical than tactical. People say that a player like Fellaini has his uses, I too can see how a pragmatic coach like José can easily want to work with Darmian. Until we get a superb replacement, he is more than adept as a cover.

Rossa

He's solid. Thats it.

We need a pacier attacking full back in the mold of Dani Alves. Valencia has been decent but his crossing is shit.

Gary Neville really was underrated when you think about it.
I always thought Gary Neville was the black sheep in our greatest sides. We don't need a Gary Neville; we need an Evra on that left side. I think Shaw can become a good enough player though, but not sure if we can afford to wait and see.

SidRed

We really need to buy a new LB. None of the 4 options we have is good enough to give any contribution to attack. Rodriguez would be great but even someone like Bertrand or Van Aanholt would add so much to the attack. Shaw is very good on his day but seems to be better defensively than in attack.

m1y2

he surprisingly did okay against liverpool no big mistake tried hard to make himself available into combination... sadly even though this could have been his best game for us ever, he's till not even good as a squad player.. please Luke come back soon

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I watched him for a season at Torino and he was pretty decent going forward and deservedly got call up to the Azzuri. He also played a binder in the WC against England and there was enough evidence for me to be pleased with his transfer to United. In the first handful of games, there was no issue with him going forward.
He played as a wingback rather than a FB, and on the right. He's one-footed, he can play on the left but he's decent at best there. He's a good RB, but Valencia is better. He'd be a good backup for Valencia

stevoc

For me, it is very possible that LvG stiffled him as he did with so many players offensively. Italian players are brought on tactics more than most other leagues so it's possible that he took on LvG's philosophies way too much. But more importantly, I think our league is just a bit too demanding physically and had he not been injured and dropped too early last maybe he might have improved on that front.

I like Darmian but even I can't deny that our league's demand upon FBs are more physical than tactical. People say that a player like Fellaini has his uses, I too can see how a pragmatic coach like José can easily want to work with Darmian. Until we get a superb replacement, he is more than adept as a cover.
Yes i've heard that mate and i believe you as i seen him in the world cup myself and he looked decent. But previous form is irrelevant now when he clearly is not performing to that level at United. Whether thats because he isn't suited to this team/league/country is anyones guess but he's not good enough in my opinion even as a back up.

We don't need to sign a world beater to upgrade on him either. Any fullback who's decent at defending but also able to get up on the overlap and put in crosses consistently would be much more useful.

I think going back to Italy would be best for Darmian also, he should be able to get his form back maybe even somewhere like Juve and win things and get his international place back.

Hull City 2:1 Man Utd

MoneyMay

No ownership whatsoever. Really disappointing signing, especially after a very good start for us. Which turned out to be a false dawn. We get the same level of performance from him every week.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is absolutely not United quality(probably not premierleague quality either) and shouldn't be played, I'd rather we use some other players whenever we can. Also, I am yet to see our winger having a good game when he has Darmian behind him.

mav_9me

No ownership whatsoever. Really disappointing signing, especially after a very good start for us. Which turned out to be a false dawn. We get the same level of performance from him every week.
5/10 every game. Gets beaten easily. Offers nothing going forward. Forget crossing, even simple passing and overlapping, basics of fullback play are beyond him. Useless. Would much rather play TFM or CBJ even if we were more likely to lose with them.

Robbie Boy

He just has to go in the summer. There was a day when 'squad players' would actually be properly vying with first teamers for their place. Players like Darmian are miles behind their competition (in this case Valencia) and he just isn't good enough.

Roboc7

Has to go in the summer, nowhere near good enough going forward to remain at the club.

acnumber9

Didn't see the whole game so can't comment on his performance but he was shite on Hull's second. Just runs away from Niasse and lets him run into the box unmarked. What can he actually do?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I still haven't quite worked out what Darmian offers to a side at all. I don't think he offers anything positive that even Young or Fosu-Mensah could at RB.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah he isn't good enough. He has had plenty of chances and not shown enough. Mystifies me how he can get in the team ahead of Shaw and Blind who are both much better.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
My confidence would be crushed if he was played ahead of me week-in-week-out.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's the most un-Mourinho-like fullback I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.