Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
and think of what you are getting. true class and you could get 12 years out of him! seems pretty good to me (if I had the odd £62m lying around)
I don’t think it would be £62M if United were In for him. It would be more for sure. Sometimes it feels like whenever United enquire about a player the club in question must elbow its mates in the ribs and say ‘ey up, that lot are here, let’s up the price, they’re bound to pay at least double’

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don’t think it would be £62M if United were In for him. It would be more for sure. Sometimes it feels like whenever United enquire about a player the club in question must elbow its mates in the ribs and say ‘ey up, that lot are here, let’s up the price, they’re bound to pay at least double’
Early on in the summer VDS said that they had a set price and wouldn’t engage in an a highest bidder auction. They wanted MDL to make up his own mind.

So we wouldn’t be charged 20m more than anyone else in this case

Cait Sith

This transfer is solely about Raiola's commissions. If the fee is 62 million you can add another 30 million in commissions for Raiola.

And dream on that Juve will have a CB for a decade on their hands. He's gone in 3 - 4 for Raiola's next commission payments.

Halal Jalal

We should have known there was no chance to sign de Ligt, but I still feel a little disappointed. If the price really is "only" 62 million, it's a bargain too - we're paying nearly as much for fullback who had one good season with Crystal Palace.
As @Cait Sith says, I doubt he'll stay at Juve for 12 or 14 years, although you can bet they'll make a 100 millon profit off him in 4 years. He's been a hyped wonderkid for 2 seasons now and still improved considerably, he seems to be a 100% focused professional and leading personality. Surely still plenty of room to develop and become the best defender of his generation.

Last edited:

#00F

Supports
Barca
It's a big gamble, not always pays. Dembele to Barca is another example where hype doesn't equal output. We shall see in another few years if it worked, too early to say anything. I don't think United should term this as a loss, totaly outlay over 5 years is close to 200m. It's a huge risk for a teenager.

Baneofthegame

It's a big gamble, not always pays. Dembele to Barca is another example where hype doesn't equal output. We shall see in another few years if it worked, too early to say anything. I don't think United should term this as a loss, totaly outlay over 5 years is close to 200m. It's a huge risk for a teenager.
I don’t think there’s as many question marks over De Ligts attitude and work ethic as Dembeles, but for the most part I agree that 99% of teenagers are risks.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He doesn't need to learn as an understudy for anyone. He is ready to be first choice week in week out. And probably one of the best payed defenders in the World. Like Mbappe, he is a prodigy where the only improvement will come from playing.

United is the obvious choice where game time is concerned. And money probably.
We have a lot of CB's already Lindelof, Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Rojo. We would need to either give De Ligt some sort of guarantee about playing time or look to move on one or two CB's. I could see it being a good move for the player in that instance.

As good as De Ligt is saying that he couldnt learn anything from the likes of a CB of Chiellini's status is a disservice to Chiellini. When you draw up a list of the great Italian CB's. Baresi, Cannavaro, Nesta, Scirea. Surely Chiellini belongs amongst them, along with the likes of ole mono brow or Maldini.

MDFC Manager

This transfer is solely about Raiola's commissions. If the fee is 62 million you can add another 30 million in commissions for Raiola.

And dream on that Juve will have a CB for a decade on their hands. He's gone in 3 - 4 for Raiola's next commission payments.
Juve would be fine with that, and likely know that would be the case as well. They'll make good use of him in that period and do well as a team.

Patrick08

Don't think so.

Patrick08

Most of my comment is actually about calling De Ligt greedy. Really not fair. Kids being very sensible. And indeed, if anyone is to blame, it's Raiola
It always was, though I think why hasn't Woodward put together the most lucrative package from our side including playing time, at least from what we see in reports.

Last edited:

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
So is this confirmed or just another classic case of premature football reports that don’t turn out to be true like 95% of cases?

Arogantni

Supports
Zeljeznicar
You bring early conclusions that de Ligt would leave Juventus after few years from Pogba case. When Pogba left that were different periods for Juventus without so strong financial power like today (Agnellis did not invest a lot of their money, and Juventus did not have strong sponsor deals with Nike, Jeep, New Holand and etc). Also Raiola has brought a lot of his players to Juventus and only two left in circumstances where Juventus could not handling situation; Ibrahimovic (Juventus was moved to Seria B and he did not want play there with reducing wage) and Pogba (Juventus need capital gains in their financial books). There is also example of Nedved when he had strong offers from Barcelona and Real Madrid and he had not wish to leave Juventus even that meant that he would had played in Seria B. Raiola did not want to make efforts on his decisions. After few years when de Ligt would want to leave Juventus will offer him significant rise up of wage which any team could not match up and he will stay (new tax rules in Italy also help where is tax rate around 25%). Raiola just has done best for his clients but he has not moved them for every price because he also get money from contract, especially from agent fee when his player signs contract extension (also there is loyal fee). So point is that de Ligt will not leave Juventus for any other team except situation where he could seriously flop.

Reactions: Ødegaard

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
well if Maguire is going for £80m...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If he does sign for Juve then obviously he's been fair game for anyone all this time so probably does confirm that somewhere along the way he turned us down which you cant blame him for tbh

From a football point of view refreshing he's chosen Juve over PSG as the latter just wouldn't make any sense

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
12mil net is ridiculous if true.
Actually it's not that, Italy had a change within their tax management. Where "New comers" from abroad to come to work there, will have to pay 25% instead of the former 50% as of this year. Which meaning from former law, if the salay was 16m then player got "only 8m", now it's 12m of the 16m.

Some say it would disrupt the former workers, but in general most just want new deals sorted now.

redshaw

Even at 16 million gross that's still 307k before tax. Juve's wage bill over the coming years is going to grow huge. Right now it's just Ronaldo which can be understood by the rest of the players considering what he's achieved and his stats, all the others are on quite low wages and will banging on the door if de Ligt at 19 is getting 300k before tax.

I think the reality is around 200k+ is wanted by de Ligt and has been offered and Barca going by earlier reports were offering 150k. Seems like Barca will hold firm and won't give in and I doubt some of these wages being reported. Will be interesting if he opts for ~200k and snubs Barca or is someone really offering 300k and providing a big incentive. Still seems like it's all about getting Barca to increase and get closer to what De Jong is getting.

Last edited:

Member 93275

If you pick him up for 75m and give him a 5 year contract for 15m a year, then sell after 3 or 4 years for 125m, his services have been for free.

Gasolin

The muppet in me suddenly doesn't care that Nedved met Raiola, and will just want Ed to throw the money to get this guy and get it done :lol::lol::lol:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If you pick him up for 75m and give him a 5 year contract for 15m a year, then sell after 3 or 4 years for 125m, his services have been for free.
That's assuming you can sell him for 125m in a few years time. He'd still be in his early to mid 20s and entering his prime, so it's not unlikely to be fair.

We'll See Out There!

How much are they lookin for this fool anyone? Really, how much would land this guy? Rio was big money when he signed but he lived up to it. If this kid is good enough then spend the cash Woody you root!

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Raiola on good terms with Juventus? The whole Pogba affair was a big issue. They sued him.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Antero Henrique had completed De Ligt's #PSG . The file was relaunched when the Portuguese left, Leonardo did not take over the agreement that had been tied. And Raiola decided to question his arrival in Paris.

RedDevil@84

Antero Henrique had completed De Ligt's #PSG . The file was relaunched when the Portuguese left, Leonardo did not take over the agreement that had been tied. And Raiola decided to question his arrival in Paris.
Thats some atrocious google translate.
But I guess it means the deal with PSG broke down because Henrique left and Leaonardo wasn't ok with the agreement made by Henrique??

Member 93275

This is just weird. The rumour was that after failing to get Frenkie, getting De Ligt was Henrique's last chance as sporting director. So not waiting for the outcome, they get Leonardo back. Leonardo is a Raiola guy, one would expect the deal to go smoother. Instead the deal was "not taken over". It all doesn't make sense.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Thats some atrocious google translate.
But I guess it means the deal with PSG broke down because Henrique left and Leaonardo wasn't ok with the agreement made by Henrique??
Lots of words that don't clearly explain what happened, not surprising google translate struggles.

Basically according to the tweet Leonardo didn't follow through on the done dealio agreed by Henrique for unmentioned reasons. Raiola moves on.

We'll See Out There!

If only it was that easy.
Why how hard is it though? Manchester United come looking for a player, we have bundles of cash for the Transfer fee and also wages, what's the hold up? Ok we don't have champions league but is this guy not a big step in getting us into the Top 4 again if he backs himself to improve us as a team. Or am I over estimating the lure of United these days.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So, update from Sky Italy in the situation for those interested:

-PSG had total agreement with the player, as per the tweet above. The sacking of Henrique pissed off Raiola and Leonardo didn't immediately pick it back up to close the deal, so Raiola went to Juventus
-player is open to move to juventus, but there's still quite a bit of distance between the offer(7.5m a year net) and the demand(12m). They're pushing hard to try and close the deal before PSG comes back
-PSG is about to come back into the picture with Leonardo getting in contact with Raiola

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Told ya Juventus' not paying that sort of salary. It doesn't make sense for them, regardless of what the owner's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.