Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When push comes to shove, think Barca will pay up and that will be that.
Agreed. I can only hope he feels insulted that it's taking them so long to change their offer. A bit like what happened with De Gea/RM.

I hope we are showing how desperately we want him, rather than just expecting him to want to join us like Barca.

The guy is built for England too, none of that mamby pamby Spanish stuff.

The point wasn't to come up with a funny conversation but to lay bare what is going on. United are probably being used there. Again.
City would never have gotten where they are today if players didn’t have a little more imagination than that. A good package and a good project can be very tempting (as it was for Pogba also), we could even for example even promise him the captaincy from season 2020/2021 for the most supported club in the World.

Barca need some rebuilding, United need more, and once Messi starts going downhill within the next few years Barca will have a monumental task on their hand. These are two football clubs that any player would have dreamed of joining from a young age and anyone of his age will be thinking way beyond the next 2-3 years.

If he decides to join United and things go well, he’ll be playing in the most competitive league in the World for the most supported club in the World. If things go less than well, he can join Real, Barca or Juve before he even turns 22.

Only people with zero imagination see it as such a simple black and white choice of here and now.

Treble

City would never have gotten where they are today if players didn’t have a little more imagination than that. A good package and a good project can be very tempting (as it was for Pogba also), we could even for example even promise him the captaincy from season 2020/2021 for the most supported club in the World.

Barca need some rebuilding, United need more, and once Messi starts going downhill within the next few years Barca will have a monumental task on their hand. These are two football clubs that any player would have dreamed of joining from a young age and anyone of his age will be thinking way beyond the next 2-3 years.

If he decides to join United and things go well, he’ll be playing in the most competitive league in the World for the most supported club in the World. If things go less than well, he can join Real, Barca or Juve before he even turns 22.

Only people with zero imagination see it as such a simple black and white choice of here and now.
Imagination without logic becomes wishful. Your imagination is mostly wishful. Not for the first time either. Top red imagination that.

Imagination without logic becomes wishful. Your imagination is mostly wishful. Not for the first time either. Top red imagination that.
There’s tonnes of logic in there man :lol: you’re just choosing to ignore it.

If there was no logic, Zlatan and Pogba would never have joined United. Aguero and Silva would never have joined City.

Now I expect De Ligt to join Barca regardless, not only because of where they are now but because of the Dutch/Ajax links. That said, the original post I replied to was absolute tripe and not at all the way anyone actually thinks, money matters as does project as does feeling correctly valued, as do future prospects.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Imagine the conversation between MDL and Raiola:

MDL: I want to play for Barca.
R: They are reluctant pay us what we want.
MDL: OK, money is more important than playing for Barca.

Is that realistic? Raiola will do everything to earn his client a better contract but I don't think he will shit on his desire to go to Barca. Barca know this and don't want to give in to Raiola's demands.
Raiola certainly wants the best possible package and is probably giving Barca board a major headache, but de Ligt never expressed his desire to go there. Quite the opposite he left his options wide open when talking about it.

We absolutely should fight for this one as he is already so damn good. Even if we don't succeed make Barcelona pay as much as possible.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How many times agents and players will use us for bigger wages and fees? It is becoming really annoying

Adam-Utd

He's already at Barca I think. They have already said nothing will be announced until after the cup final. They could be trying to move players out first too.
Yeah... that's definitely not the case. They'd announce it ASAP why would they wait? especially with all this speculation.

Scott Buttery

Yeah... that's definitely not the case. They'd announce it ASAP why would they wait? especially with all this speculation.
I imagine it's the same situation with Antoine Griezmann. Almost certainly nailed on. As for announcements, they don't have the same 'muppet' tendencies as we do. When I say he's already there, I didn't mean literally, I meant a deal all but done.

If I'm wrong, I would quite happily apologise

Sjaakmeoff

About him liking Rio's IG posts. I don't want to be the partypooper, but he's following loads of (ex)players from all over the world. And he does use the like option a lot. (Rio, Ramos, Pique, Vertonghen, Bonocci etc).

Treble

Raiola certainly wants the best possible package and is probably giving Barca board a major headache, but de Ligt never expressed his desire to go there. Quite the opposite he left his options wide open when talking about it.

We absolutely should fight for this one as he is already so damn good. Even if we don't succeed make Barcelona pay as much as possible.
Agreed.

Adam-Utd

I imagine it's the same situation with Antoine Griezmann. Almost certainly nailed on. As for announcements, they don't have the same 'muppet' tendencies as we do. When I say he's already there, I didn't mean literally, I meant a deal all but done.

If I'm wrong, I would quite happily apologise
Don't get me wrong, I still think Barca are favourites but it's now sewn up yet.

Griezmann is a bit different as he's said he prefers to stay in Spain, and doesn't seem to be many other people willing to pay the fee. Even Barca are hesitating as I'm not sure it would really work unless they change formation.

I think if Barca stump up the extra for De Ligt he will probably join them, but let's hope they can't stretch that far.

nainaisson

The Pogba deal was "finished" a while before it was finally announced. They're probably just ironing out the details of his contract and Raiola's exorbitant transfer fee.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
So, we made an offer which he rejected and now we've come back with an improved one and are waiting for a response...

I wouldn't be getting too excited at this point :(

Okey

I've seen too much go awry in the Woody era to get excited. But purely logical thinking actually says the better footballing move for De Ligt is United. Good as he is, he probably doesn't improve Barca's defence. They have Pique and 2 proper left footed CBs. One world class when fit, the other just proved last season he's very decent. He however completely transforms United's defence, like any single world class CB would do right now. We may be at a bad period now but surely no one thinks that will last forever. And being the poster boy of even this United visage is still an incredibly attractive proposition. Just ask Monsieur Pogba...

Paul778

How many times agents and players will use us for bigger wages and fees? It is becoming really annoying
If it means Barca paying 20% more for a player I'm all for it. Less in their transfer kitty for chasing other targets.

It's more a problem for us as fans but over the years I've grown accustomed to it. Until i see the nasty Chevrolet driving them into Carrington the deals not done.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
All these Spanish teams have cheerleaders, who glorify them and sing praises to them while we have fecks like Luckhurst, who despite working for the local city paper, love throwing shite at the club every chance he gets
Just like the fans then...

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So, I hear that he is using United to get a better offer out of Barca.
This is the most likely scenario. I dont believe there is much of a chance that he joins us over the other top clubs at this stage. This is why we need to buy these kinds of talents a tad earlier

Red_toad

Just like the fans then...
Fans absolutely love shit being thrown at the club, it validates their opinions on why they hate the club they support. People are just bizarre. I love watching united win lose or draw. The club is iconic.

As for De Ligt, I'm hopeful there's a deal to be done, but lord knows what his thoughts are, seems to be a lot of media who are just creating click bait on things they know nothing about,

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This is the most likely scenario. I dont believe there is much of a chance that he joins us over the other top clubs at this stage. This is why we need to buy these kinds of talents a tad earlier
Like when we play them 2 years earlier you mean :(

Mainoldo

We’re going to get him aren’t we!! This is our kind of signing based on the last few years. Hopefully we build an actual team this time instead of just individual talents.

Status
Not open for further replies.