MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
hughferris Just spoken to Fergie. He says Rooney's apologised to him and the players.

And now he needs to apologize to the fans
He had to apologise, there was no other option.

Question is, he's signed but what are the terms and how does he force his way into the team with Berba & Hernandez's form?

Harold_Giles

This is seriously weird, I had given up on him and was getting myself prepared to never see him wear the red shirt again.
But this is good for the team, although he's still a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime!

As soon as he starts scoring again I guess all is forgiven :)

Chep

Something tells me Sir Alex will pull the rug under his feet come summer. Me thinks they have inflated his buy out clause which shall be exploited once Shrek's perfect replacement has been found, either from within or without... watch this space.

Woodzy

I think Rio's tweet couldn't imply any more delight if it tried.

On the plus side of this saga

- We could see Rooney hit some shit hot form as a result.
- He may have appeased the transfer muppet in most of us.
- All future transfer muppet photoshops we make can include Rooney in there. Always good to have extra material to work with.

Negative side

- There's a good chance he could be fecking off in a summer or two anyway a la Ronaldo.
- He will get boo'ed.....a lot, and for a long time. And as mentioned before, I don't quite know if he has the mentality to handle it like Ronaldo.
- He won't be looked at in the same way for a very long time, maybe even again, no matter how many goals, badge kisses or contract extensions.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's going to take a lot for him to get back to how he was in my eyes. The worst I said about him during this was that he was being a complete twat. He's still a complete twat for doing this.

Hitchcocker

Maybe because we have accepted that he'll leave in the summer and for the club he wants to go to.

But by signing a new contract and playing his current one out till then, it was what we needed from him to accept it.

I'm not sure how anyone can have any faith that he's been completely turned around in a few days and is now committed long term.
I understand where you're coming from but I don't really see it (or don't want to see it :nervous:) because he could easily have waited till January and gone to the highest bidder or he could have bought his contract out and receive a MASSIVE signing on fee. :confused:

If Rooney is to leave at the summer, I don't see why we would want to play him since his heart won't be with us.

Viper KGB

Rooney has been feeling this way for2 months, SAF comes out and publicly declares his intentions and the whole thing is cleared up in 2 days

Footballers, bloody hell

Sylar

Yeah, he's a cnut for showing concern about the future of the club.

And he never uttered a word in public about leaving. People read far more into the statement than they need to.
Im happy he has shown concern. But to do basically do it in public (essentially blasting his teammates, squad and club) was out of order. He might have been advised incorrectly

"I met with David Gill [United chief executive] last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad," Rooney confirms.

"I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract."

Hes not signing a new contract, and has around 18 months left which puts us in a situation of having to sell him. There is no where in that statement that he says "im considering my options" nor does he say ferguson is wrong that he wants to leave or is adamant that he wants to leave, etc.
Yes he doesnt say "im leaving United" but by saying im not signing a new contract cos the club has no ambitions is basically saying he wants out.

Ive kept quiet on this the last few days because I had a feeling he would end up staying and signing a new contract, but as I said, this has basically fecked off a lot of our fans on Rooney.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
He is still a cnut, no doubt. He has gone down hugely in my estimations.

But, he's signed a new contract. He's still a United player and will be for a while (well, at least till the summer).

cnut off the pitch, United player on the pitch.

F-Red

He's still an utter, utter cnut. Rooney should be thoroughly ashamed of himself. I hope the fans give him the just reaction for offending and disrespecting the club, the shirt & most of all the fans.

He needs to start grovelling.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Has anyone stopped to think that this deal could cost 1 or 2 players their United places ?

What player could get the hoof in order to pay for his increased demands.

feck how good he is. No one should be able to dicate to United the way he has done, and after all the shit we've given Gerrard about his amazing U-turn, to see Rooney do the same thing make me feel sick to the stomach.

If any United supporter ever gets on Gerrards case about kissing the badge on his chest they are fecking hypocrits, because we've got one amonst us thats done just the same.

kps88

No ones bigger than the club eh?

He acted like a complete tit; disrespected the club, manager, players and fans. And after all that WE'RE the ones running after him, offering him more money, trying to convince him to stay.

Ridiculous.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I won't forgive him, will support him in terms of hopefully he'll lead us to trophies, but any chances of him being remembered fondly as a player once he has left have evaporated for me. That said time is usally a great healer but I think everyones seen his true colours unless of course this was an engineered inside job with Fergies consent.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Heh. These words taste interesting.

Can't say I'm expecting him to stay long, and his reputation is genuinely shot now.

Very confusing few days.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What kind of message does this send out to the rest of the squad though? After the way he's behaved, he's just earned himself a hefty pay rise, can't believe that SAF hasn't shown him the door, bigger players have been kicked out for much less.

If any other club had caved in like this, we'd all be laughing at them right now. I just hope that SAF has a sting left in his tail for "our Wayne".
Aye, he's got a lot of hard work ahead of him to win over his team-mates and the fans. Which is a good thing, really.

pauldyson1uk

I think Rio's tweet couldn't imply any more delight if it tried.

On the plus side of this saga

- We could see Rooney hit some shit hot form as a result.
- He may have appeased the transfer muppet in most of us.
- All future transfer muppet photoshops we make can include Rooney in there. Always good to have extra material to work with.

Negative side

- There's a good chance he could be fecking off in a summer or two anyway a la Ronaldo.
- He will get boo'ed.....a lot, and for a long time. And as mentioned before, I don't quite know if he has the mentality to handle it like Ronaldo.
- He won't be looked at in the same way for a very long time, maybe even again, no matter how many goals, badge kisses or contract extensions.
maybe from other teams fans , but I would hope not from United fans.
You dont boo your own EVER

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
HE'S SHIT
HE'S OVER-RATED He still is
WE DONT NEED HIM We dont
WE DONT WANT HIM I dont
HE CAN feck OFF Quite right
YOU WILL NEVER PLAY AGAIN

That was 2 days ago.

Now look.. He's the patron saint of Manchester.

makes me sick.
Once a greedy scouse liar always a greedy scouse liar.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Can't say I'm happy to be honest. He disrespected the club and everyone at it. Used the Glazer situation as a shield and then squeezed us for more money the little shit.
It is certainly bittersweet, however he's not going to be a lifer and this is a better position from which to depart OT when it happens.

I do hope we haven't shattered the wage structure, for if they do it with him they'll only have to rebalance it elsewhere. That's aside from the moral aspect.

He should sack Stretford to make it at least look like they weren't simply playing everyone for a new contract.
Yeah why not, it's not as if Stretford won't have come by a few quid through all this.

towcester_red

I won't forgive him, will support him in terms of hopefully he'll lead us to trophies, but any chances of him being remembered fondly as a player once he has left have evaporated for me. That said time is usally a great healer but I think everyones seen his true colours unless of course this was an engineered inside job with Fergies consent.
These are my exact feelings.

That and total and utter confusion.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I am so overjoyed by this.

Our ability to attract top players (if we do have a little bit of cash available from the Ronaldo money) is significantly stronger having Rooney.

Players want to play with stars like Rooney. And he is currently our only real one.

(not to knock our other players - some of which are excellent)

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
I don't know who the feck has pissed me off more.

United for bowing down to him or him for pulling this stunt.

I can't believe that the clubs bowed down to the classless little cnut.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
People saying that he did this for the huge contract are forgetting the point that he was already offered, we are told, a huge contract up there with the best in the league. So many posters on here show concern about where this club is heading, squad wise. Rooney has simply done the same but, very stupidly, on a public platform.

My view is that Rooney is a bit of a idiot, we knew that already. He obviously handled this poorly but that happens in life and its time to move on. This is fantastic news, for so many reasons.