MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

MG

It's a bit annoying how many fans are saying 'I hope those fans who derided him are feeling ashamed' and 'You're all hypocrites now'... all we did was react in the correct way to the amount of disrespect Rooney showed to us.

He treated the club, players, managers and us as fans as complete dirt. Nothing has changed now he's signed again, in fact, perhaps it makes it worse. Rooney led us all along, patronised and belittled players who are playing much better than him right now, and a manager infinitely more talented than him who has always tried to help him, and mocked the intelligence of fans ridiculously more intelligent than him.

I don't really care if he's signed again. Doubt I'll be able to cheer him again really. He's completely tainted. feck him. Well, actually, I won't.

Ixion

I think a few years ago we'd have let Rooney go but because Sir Alex (probably) doesn't have that many seasons left here he doesn't have the time to build another great team from scratch so we had to do everything we could to keep him so the door was left open.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Hehe what a fkin weirdo...

Why couldn't ANY of this be handled behind closed doors is the question a lot of United fans should be asking.
Absofeckinlutely.

He's still a bit of a git. Anything positive he does for us will be welcomed but he owes us. Won't be all forgotten that easily, even if forgiven.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Also, obviously he's our best striker when you ignore the last seven months.
You have no idea how much this pisses me off....WHY should we ignore the last 7 months, he has been playing like a sack of shit, keeps his place in the side, GETS A feckING PAYRISE when we have proved recently we can manage just fine without him.

Sw33t

What's with the people taking digs at fans being genuinely angered by this whole thing? Can you fecking blame us?

Our best player said he wanted to leave, insulted the fans, the squad, the manager and he club. Said we didn't have ambition anymore and he wants to go somewhere where he'll win trophies, implying we're incapable of doing so, which as a team mate I would have been fecking pissed off by that.

He then signs a new contract a few days later and all is meant to be forgotten and forgiven? How about no.

Last time I checked football is about passion and loyalty to the club. Not bloody sensible remarks in case he decided to stay so I didn't look like I overreacted to some. I react how I felt, and how I still feel.

He will play for us again now, if he scores goals and wins us games, great. Benefiting us. But I'll still think he's a massive twat for this whole saga. I may, but doubtful, lighten up on my views in the future, but I will never love him as a player again. His reputation and chances of becoming a great for this club have been well and truly shattered.

Kaos

I really hope we're giving him a new contract just so we can off him for a large fee this summer, I don't want him back nor do I think he deserves to be back in the team with a huge contract after all the tripe he's thrown at us.

Moriarty

I'm glad he's signed

but that doesn't change the fact that he's a lying cnut and having tried to shaft SAF will find that he'll be farmed out next close season . For a fat fee and good riddance - SAF will not forget this episode
I'm not glad he's signed. He's insulted the club, the manager, his team mates, and the supporters. For once, I agree with Lawrenson that Rooney has got far too big for his boots; I mean, fancy him trying to dictate policy to one of the biggest clubs in the world. What a bloody liberty. He'd fit in very nicely with the hired guns at City.

I wonder what the old guard will make of all this? Fergie might have to restrain Gary Neville lest he chins Rooney.

Finally, what has this done for Sir Alex's reputation? People will be saying that he's caved in, or he's gone soft in his old age. God knows, show any perceived sign of weakness in football and people go for the throat. If Fergie can back down before a player's demands, there's no hope for the game.

Shimo

Worked till 3 AM, 7 AM 4 year old gets into bed and I don't want to get get up but, he won't let me sleep. Turn over to phone and check what updates on the saga ... the news for some reason didn't surprise me.

My first reaction after that was - his first job is to win back the squad, not the fans. Before he can win us back to any degree is he'll have to make sure he puts the team on his back and wins us games. He has a lot of work to do.

For me, I think he was an absolute dick for what he did but, will give him a chance. He's made a big mistake but, now he that he is still a part of our squad - like any other player, will get fully behind on the pitch (not that I visit live games or anything) but, as supporters for the good of the club while he is playing for us, hopefully after the first couple games and getting it out of our system we'll ensure we are behind the team versus our feelings to one player in the squad.

Any animosity towards Rooney during games will affect the rest of the team because they'll be hearing that instead of cheers urging them on. Will be a constant reminder that hopefully won't happen during the course of the games.

The only two good things that do come out of this is that we do indeed spend and that players are saying, hey you know if Rooney got assurances that they'll be working to build a winning team then maybe that's where I want to be. We are still the biggest club around but, often due to money reasons with Chelsea, Madrid, City, Barca spending - we can't attract some of the money centric players but, perhaps the ones that want to focus on winning will be swayed.

The 3 weeks out might be a good thing though. Give time to let emotions chill, though for some it might just be a case of a 3 week wait of festering anger waiting to explode.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's a bit annoying how many fans are saying 'I hope those fans who derided him are feeling ashamed' and 'You're all hypocrites now'... all we did was react in the correct way to the amount of disrespect Rooney showed to us.

He treated the club, players, managers and us as fans as complete dirt. Nothing has changed now he's signed again, in fact, perhaps it makes it worse. Rooney led us all along, patronised and belittled players who are playing much better than him right now, and a manager infinitely more talented than him who has always tried to help him, and mocked the intelligence of fans ridiculously more intelligent than him.

I don't really care if he's signed again. Doubt I'll be able to cheer him again really. He's completely tainted. feck him. Well, actually, I won't.
Amen.

:lol::lol::lol:

Is this going to be the new party line?

Wayne Rooney, Folk Hero.
Dark Knight? :nervous::p

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
What's with the people taking digs at fans being genuinely angered by this whole thing? Can you fecking blame us?

Our best player said he wanted to leave, insulted the fans, the squad, the manager and he club. Said we didn't have ambition anymore and he wants to go somewhere where he'll win trophies, implying we're incapable of doing so, which as a team mate I would have been fecking pissed off by that.

He then signs a new contract a few days later and all is meant to be forgotten and forgiven? How about no.

Last time I checked football is about passion and loyalty to the club. Not bloody sensible remarks in case he decided to stay so I didn't look like I overreacted to some. I react how I felt, and how I still feel.

He will play for us again now, if he scores goals and wins us games, great. Benefiting us. But I'll still think he's a massive twat for this whole saga. I may, but doubtful, lighten up on my views in the future, but I will never love him as a player again. His reputation and chances of becoming a great for this club have been well and truly shattered.
Nail on the Head.

Just because he has signed a new contract doesn't mean we're gonna forgive him. I hope the Old Trafford doesn't boo or sing his name, just a silence when his name is Announced.

andualem

Fergie wont stand for this, his off in summer 5 year contract allows us leverage in a negotiation deal. feck OFF ROONEY!!

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Can any of us really look at him in the same way again?

Im sorry i dont buy all this, he's either off in the summer or weve bowed down and given him both his 'assurances' blah blah and of course his nice big fat pay rise.
And when I said Rooney and Co. had pulled a blinder the other day you all said I was crazy.

By playing it the way they did they basically left United with nowhere to go, not the other way around.

If he'd gone then the club would have been accused of not having ambition, by proving he was wrong, they've rewarded him with a feck off big pay rise for his mutiny.

Stretford may be a cnut, but he's a clever cnut, and between him and Rooney they've just managed to screw United big time.

And the worst thing is, the chances are, he'll feck off anyway.

Seveneric

And people say this wasn't at all because of money, rriigggghtttt?

Anyways, now that United have invested more in his wages, maybe that suddenly showed him that there was indeed some ambition. Happy ending for all.

Moriarty

Build him a statue alright.Rooney is a misunderstood genius ....
He's neither misunderstood nor a genius. He's an avaricious punk who has rubbed the nose of the greatest manager in our club's illustrious history into the dirt. I'll never forgive him for that; not even if he scores in every game from now until doomsday.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It's a moral struggle because everyone saw that banner on Wednesday, 'Coleen might forgive you but we won't'. It echoed the feelings of many.

Unfortunately we do have to act like the forgiving humilated wife because it's in the club's best interests. He's getting paid a silly amount of money, Fergie obviously believes in him so we have to get over it.

I doubt any of us are going to rush to the megastore to buy a Rooney shirt anytime soon, but at the same time you can hardly turn up to the next home game chanting 'Rooney out!'.

It's a hell of a way to go about getting a payrise, though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I agree.

He'll probably want out again given our financial situation. We'll probably get more money the next time he throws a tantrum though.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I still think he's a wanker and i'll laugh if he now gets sold in a major double cross by SAF.

However, for now he's our player so I will get behind him. But I certainly won't be screaming his name when he scores, or telling my young son anymore stories about him.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
There should be a lot of feckers on here eating humble pie now. If it was all about money it would make no sense for him to have signed a new deal with us. Taking the piss out of those of us who didn't vilify him before he had actually moved to Manchester City for being deluded or living in dream-worlds.
Doesn't alter the fact that he has fecked around with this since August, and virtually claimed the club wasn't ambitious enough (i.e. good enough).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
And when I said Rooney and Co. had pulled a blinder the other day you all said I was crazy.

By playing it the way they did they basically left United with nowhere to go, not the other way around.

If he'd gone then the club would have been accused of not having ambition, by proving he was wrong, they've rewarded him with a feck off big pay rise for his mutiny.

Stretford may be a cnut, but he's a clever cnut, and between him and Rooney they've just managed to screw United big time.

And the worst thing is, the chances are, he'll feck off anyway.
Yes but we'll probably be in a stronger position to negotiate rather than being bullied into it, so it makes sense for both parties.

AlwaysRedwood

It was not handled behind closed doors because Rooney and his people wanted to take the focus off his hooker fecking scandal. He was loosing big money contracts. It was pure self preservation. They just went about it completely the wrong way, slagging off the club and had no understanding of the long term consequences.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
If it actually comes out that he is on £120,000 a week and he was actually staying because he got squad reassurances a lot of you will look like absolute tools. You're all banging on about people forgiving him and assuming all is well blah blah but you're all assuming that he's taken a massive pay check.

Why don't we just wait and see before getting all high and mighty.

I also have to :lol: every time at these people who think they are qualified to say how much a player should earn. Here's a fact, players bring in the money for their clubs. They get paid for that, they get paid a large amount of a much bigger figure. If we made our businesses hundreds of million a year ourselves I'd be asking my boss for a 100,000 a week salary myself since I'd be responsible for their turnover. Don't tell me you guys wouldn't want a bigger salary if you made your company hundreds of millions a year and you didn't see it back. Reality check that's how pay rises work.

All these bollocks comparisons to nurses and troops, yes they do a much more important job, yes they should get paid more, yes morally they should be amongst the highest paid in the world but again reality check, they don't generate the revenue needed to pay the wage they are deserving of. Footballers do, therefore they get paid it.

Now, Rooney needs to get out there and score some damn goals and show us that he isn't still useless on the pitch and he can go about building his bridges again.

None of the above is loving/forgiving/on Rooneys side, I'm now going to be neutral for the moment until I know what is going on. Unlike a lot of people at the moment. We've yo-yo'd so many times in the last 3 days nothing would surprise me anymore.

Seveneric

There should be a lot of feckers on here eating humble pie now. If it was all about money it would make no sense for him to have signed a new deal with us. Taking the piss out of those of us who didn't vilify him before he had actually moved to Manchester City for being deluded or living in dream-worlds.
So what was it really about? Ambition? So from two days ago till today, Fergie somehow managed to convince him of new transfers to boost the squad, but he couldn't have been convinced since August 14th. And according to reports, he somehow also managed to double his wages. Sure....

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
If it actually comes out that he is on £120,000 a week and he was actually staying because he got squad reassurances a lot of you will look like absolute tools. You're all banging on about people forgiving him and assuming all is well blah blah but you're all assuming that he's taken a massive pay check.

Why don't we just wait and see before getting all high and mighty.

I also have to :lol: every time at these people who think they are qualified to say how much a player should earn. Here's a fact, players bring in the money for their clubs. They get paid for that, they get paid a large amount of a much bigger figure. If we made our businesses hundreds of million a year ourselves I'd be asking my boss for a 100,000 a week salary myself since I'd be responsible for their turnover. Don't tell me you guys wouldn't want a bigger salary if you made your company hundreds of millions a year and you didn't see it back. Reality check that's how pay rises work.

All these bollocks comparisons to nurses and troops, yes they do a much more important job, yes they should get paid more, yes morally they should be amongst the highest paid in the world but again reality check, they don't generate the revenue needed to pay the wage they are deserving of. Footballers do, therefore they get paid it.

Now, Rooney needs to get out there and score some damn goals and show us that he isn't still useless on the pitch and he can go about building his bridges again.

None of the above is loving/forgiving/on Rooneys side, I'm now going to be neutral for the moment until I know what is going on. Unlike a lot of people at the moment. We've yo-yo'd so many times in the last 3 days nothing would surprise me anymore.
I don't want him to build bridges.

I want him to throw himself off the nearest one.

Kelvin

so what convinced rooney to sign new deal now,pay-rise on his wages or that fergie give him promise that he will invest in the squad now and buy quality players....

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
So what was it really about? Ambition? So from two days ago till today, Fergie somehow managed to convince him of new transfers to boost the squad, but he couldn't have been convinced since August 14th. And according to reports, he somehow also managed to double his wages. Sure....
Put it this way, IF it IS £180,000 which is pure speculation at the moment, it's still £70,000 a week LESS than he was apparently going to get at City. So yes there is an element of 'if it was all about the money why has he just turned down more money from City to stay with United or more than his original but much less than his alternative offer from another club.'

wr8_utd

:'(
To be honest I absolutely detest him for the way he's behaved and dragged the club and his teammates through dirt to get what he wanted (no, not reassurances). However him staying is good for the club as on form he is a world class player.
Won't cheer for him the way I used to and I hate him for the way he's treated the club but at the same time it's good for the club and our future success that he's staying.