Messi at the World Cup - No Ronaldo comparisons!

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
I think the Barcelona medical team should be taking all the stick for his physical decline over the past 12 months. They should not have allowed him to return against PSG, let alone the next two or three times they allowed him to play when he kept re-injuring himself.

Mentally I think that's been playing on the back of his mind. He's now in the World Cup final, can go full throttle, remains to be seen if he will.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Who's everyone? BTW - Messi in 2012/13 pretty much single handedly won the title for Barcelona. He's had about four or five injuries since March 2013, continually bought back only to get re-injured, as a result his movement on the pitch has diminished quite spectacularly. In terms of his acceleration, he's scored plenty of goals since then by breezing past his marker. I genuinely don't get how people can say he's on some sort of decline, hopefully he rams it down everyones throats tonight. Completely unfair critisism of him IMO.
:confused:

What is all this about? Are you in some way offended at the suggestion that Messi's in decline? Will you take some kind of pride in Messi playing well in the final?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Who's everyone? BTW - Messi in 2012/13 pretty much single handedly won the title for Barcelona. He's had about four or five injuries since March 2013, continually bought back only to get re-injured, as a result his movement on the pitch has diminished quite spectacularly. In terms of his acceleration, he's scored plenty of goals since then by breezing past his marker. I genuinely don't get how people can say he's on some sort of decline, hopefully he rams it down everyones throats tonight. Completely unfair critisism of him IMO.
Isn't that what I'm saying? Since March 2013 he's been less explosive.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea

What is all this about? Are you in some way offended at the suggestion that Messi's in decline? Will you take some kind of pride in Messi playing well in the final?
Not at all, and i'm not going to get into an argument over it, bit pointless, but I find it pretty extraordinary anyone can say he's in decline. His lack of movement has bought out some pretty amusing critisisms too, i.e not as good a dribbler, can't run, lost his burst of acceleration etc. Someone pointed out the same happened to Robben not so long ago, and it has happened to Cech too, lots of exaggeration going on.... Would it help if I said 'in my opinion'?

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Isn't that what I'm saying? Since March 2013 he's been less explosive.
There's a difference between looking like a lazy git off the ball and actually looking physically past it with it. I think he deserves the benefit of doubt after what he's done over the last five years. Tonight is the game many people have been saying he's been saving himself for, and i'd see what Luis Enrique does with the Barcelona side next season before judging him. Many of the other Barcelona players have looked a bit jaded, probably only Sanchez who hasn't.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There's a difference between looking like a lazy git off the ball and actually looking physically past it with it. I think he deserves the benefit of doubt after what he's done over the last five years. Tonight is the game many people have been saying he's been saving himself for, and i'd see what Luis Enrique does with the Barcelona side next season before judging him. Many of the other Barcelona players have looked a bit jaded, probably only Sanchez who hasn't.
I want Messi to win the World Cup to shut up his 'he needs to win a WC' critics, but he's gotta step up tonight. You can't afford against such a strong Germany to feck around being lazy and waiting for the ball, he needs to be more active.

Gannicus

I'd love to see Messi pick up a WC trophy, but not at Germany's expense.

The notion that somehow Messi needs to win a WC in order to cement his legacy next to Pele and Maradona, however, is absurd. For those whose opinions actually matters, Messi already stands next to Pele and Maradona as one of the three greatest footballers ever to play the game.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
I want Messi to win the World Cup to shut up his 'he needs to win a WC' critics, but he's gotta step up tonight. You can't afford against such a strong Germany to feck around being lazy and waiting for the ball, he needs to be more active.
Definately. With his fitness concerns Sabella would be wise to tell Messi to stay in the attacking half. I thought he dropped far too deep against Holland, drew their midfield out, but he made no attempt to run behind and give options for his team mates to pass too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What do you mean by ordinary? He rarely loses possesion, doesn't overcomplicate things and keeps things ticking over. He's not a playmaker but this doesnt make him mediocre. In fact his job is to do the dirty work and simple things so other can shine. I do agree that Argentina's midfield isnt exactly inspirational though.
On the ball it sure does. He's great defensively but you need someone brilliant next to him to compensate for his lack of technical and passing abilities.

amolbhatia50k

No he just disagrees with you. Why can't he be happy and take pride if messi does well in the final? He's clearly a fan of his talents. You come across as having a chip on the shoulder regarding messi, brnwd.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'd find it weird if anyone took pride in someone else's achievements that has no relation to them whatsoever. Not sure what you mean by a chip on my shoulder? I love watching Messi. Been my favourite player since probably 2008.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
It was always easy for people to play down his greatness by saying he needs to win the World Cup. Well it's here, the opportunity he may never get again to cement himself as arguably the greatest ever. Unfortunately for him and Argentina I think Germany will win this.

amolbhatia50k

I'd find it weird if anyone took pride in someone else's achievements that has no relation to them whatsoever. Not sure what you mean by a chip on my shoulder? I love watching Messi. Been my favourite player since probably 2008.
That's really odd. We take pride in Manchester united's achievements don't we?

Lu Tze

He may genuinely be one of the least fit players in top level football. He's still amazing, but imagine if he could run like he used to.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The guy is clearly outrageously good, but the way his every touch is furiously masturbated over, even when it's nothing special, is pretty annoying.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's really sad looking him performing way bellow his level, I would really want to know what the hell is wrong with him, is it just lack of stamina in general, or some particular injury, there is no way he is 100% fit.

REJE

The guy is clearly outrageously good, but the way his every touch is furiously masturbated over, even when it's nothing special, is pretty annoying.
My thoughts exactly, really starts to piss me off and puts me off watching any game in which he's involved lol.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Played well tonight when he had the ball, but his off ball movement is pretty disgraceful.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Imagine being in a World Cup final, heading into extra time, captaining your country and walking away during a huddle.

saivet

All of his goals have come against Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria at this tournament...

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Gutted for him.

This changes nothing. He is one of the best to ever do it. Honored to be able to tell my kids and grandkids how I watched him tear side after side apart.

Not in the highest tier for me.... Yet. He has all the time in the world to set the record straight, and I'm sure he will. Starting with the Copa next year.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There's something not right with him. Hasn't been the same player since he came back from that serious hamstring injury.

Talk of him being sick etc before games and the complete lack of stamina he has now.

I hope we're not seeing his career being curtailed by sickness and injuries as that would be a shame.

George Feeny

Played well tonight when he had the ball, but his off ball movement is pretty disgraceful.
Yeah it seemed like he was instructed not to do much tracking back, in order to conserve his energy.
On the ball, he was their most creativr player as you said.

They played Germany close. In the end, it was just a difference in class. Gotze took his sitter, while Palacio blew his. If Palacio scores from 5 yards, we would be having a drastically different conversation.

They can leave with their heads up high. Tremendous world cup given the squad and injury problems they've had.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No. You're and odd fellow. We celebrate our own vanity at how good we are at picking teams.
Are you saying that I should stop bragging around proudly that I support Manchester United?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He is clearly struggling physically. There goes all the theories that he was saving himself for the world cup. I like Messi but Maradona remains god.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Bringing on Palacio absoloutely destroyed their chances of winning. He's a pathetic excuse of a footballer, nearly cost Argentina against Holland(?), did the same today.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
He had an awful tournament. Completely disappeared after the group stages.