Messi in Miami

Taribo's Gap

I am confused. Why are people taking Chicago Fire season membership to watch Messi, instead of tickets just to the Miami game?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67003381
It's probably something the Chicago Fire marketing team came up with to take advantage of the Messi hysteria, even if he likely won't be playing against them because of injury. They had already drastically increased prices for this game and sold 61K tickets, which are great numbers for the MLS, so this is an added incentive for fans who bought tickets, even if they might not get to see Messi.

It's a bonus for the Chicago Fire because they get more season ticket holders and revenue for next season on the back of the Messi momentum. The fans get the potential chance to see Messi next season, but they may also start paying more attention to the Chicago Fire. It's very rare that they have that many potential fans captive, so they're trying to capitalize. If they can retain even a fraction of those fans through these incentives then it is some measure of growth.

heraklion

Forget about the two goals he scored, below shows why he is a magician..

twitter.com/AlbicelesteTalk/status/1714471542313177289
twitter.com/CrewsMat10/status/1714470887192174883

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Him skinning those 2 defenders was lovely. He still seems a tad too good to be playing in the MLS. Its trending on twitter that his 8th Ballon D´or has been confirmed.

Last edited:

TenHagsEmpire

Supports
Ajax
Him skinning those 2 defenders was lovely. He still seems a tad too good to be playing in the MLS. Its trending on twitter that his 8th Ballon D´or has been confirmed.
A tad too good? He’d walk into any team in the world starting XI.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Has there been a better first touch finisher in the history of the game?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think he'll play in the next World cup.

When you see his current level I don't think it declines too much in next two and a bit years.

Easier pace in MLS and less travelling for Argentina games aswell so think he's pacing himself very well for that to be his farewell to the game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

When you see his current level I don't think it declines too much in next two and a bit years.

Easier pace in MLS and less travelling for Argentina games aswell so think he's pacing himself very well for that to be his farewell to the game.
It’ll never match the last WC. That was a dream finish to his Argentina career if there ever was one.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Arguably. I don't think Messi is far and above Maradona/Pele in certain attacking aspects.
Messi has better dribbling than both, regardless of them being ridiculously good dribblers, he's definitely a better passer into the final third, better free kicks(will surpass Pele soon) obviously Juninho is the best ever at that though, close control is better (not by much though), creativity in creating goal scoring chances is better than any player I have ever seen, and his goal scoring, it's unparalleled if you look at goals per game ratio.

I don't think for attacking aspects, Maradona deserves to even be in the same bracket as Messi, Pele and Cristiano Ronaldo though, he's just never put up the ridiculous numbers of the other 3, and the most important aspect of attacking is scoring or creating goals.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Probably will play.

He can't run, just strolls around for 90 mins. Sure on the ball he's world class still and he's tearing up the MLS... That'll be similar for the next WC.

It's also a reason why his teams struggled in the CL knockouts last 5+ years. Can't carry even Messi at that level off the ball

Argentina had the refs with them at the world cup and the level is lower generally. It's funny he compares his FCB time and national team considering what we know about the refs during that period now...

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Probably will play.

He can't run, just strolls around for 90 mins. Sure on the ball he's world class still and he's tearing up the MLS... That'll be similar for the next WC.

It's also a reason why his teams struggled in the CL knockouts last 5+ years. Can't carry even Messi at that level off the ball

Argentina had the refs with them at the world cup and the level is lower generally. It's funny he compares his FCB time and national team considering what we know about the refs during that period now...
In their hotel rooms? That's against Qatari law surely?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I understand the reasoning and partly agree. But do you think as well that top teams should stay away from Mbappe as well? Because he runs and presses even less than Messi.

:rolleyes:

heraklion

Probably will play.

Why are you so bitter?

Refs carrying the Argentina by giving penalty to France and a free-kick to Holland in the last minutes so that they could equalize, refs allowing the games to go to penalties to guarantee that Argentina wins?:lol:

This is what low-level Messi did last 5 years, the level is too low..

2 Ballon D'or 3rd loading
2 FIFA Best
WC MVP
Copa MVP
Finallissima MOTM
2 IFFHS World's Best Playmaker
1 Golden Shoe
1 CL top goal scorer
3 La Liga top scorer
2 La Liga most assists
Ligue 1 most assists

RedMessiah

Probably will play.

You must have a very sad life, trying to convince yourself these things are true. I feel for you, I really do. Hope you can get better someday.

Rojow

Or maybe, his teammates could do something when he isn’t having the best game.

The best example is Liverpool away. He was doing everything and his teammates nothing. After all, it’s a team sport.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Probably will play.

Guess those moral policemen in the CR7 thread will be crickets now. Congratz for exposing them. I will take it back if anyone of them call you out here

JogaBonitoRooney

Probably will play.

Aww poor baby someone still upset their team couldn't beat 10 men Barca at home even though Ovrebo unfairly sent off Abidal because Anelka tripped over his own feet?

Someone upset their team is back to the gutter because they've lost their oligarch owner?

Someone still upset that Messi is still a world cup winner and considered the GOAT 10 months on? Well it's a shame because when you wake up tomorrow it'll be the same, and the next day and the next day ... Messi will always be the GOAT.

It's good you have your delusions to comfort yourself poor baby

Last edited:

Gehrman

Probably will play.

Its pretty impressive that a footballer who simply walks has the most individual awards in history and is the most decorated player in history in overall club and NT trophies. Did you ever watch him in his prime years. Which were actually quite long.

Gehrman

I understand the reasoning and partly agree. But do you think as well that top teams should stay away from Mbappe as well? Because he runs and presses even less than Messi.

:rolleyes:
The refs were so bent they gave the Netherlands 12 minutes of extra time whilst chasing a goal. And even more insidous they gave France 2 pens in the WC final, one straight after Messi put them ahead with 3 minutes to go in extra time. They knew Messi FC would win the shootout. Not to mention one of their goals against Saudi Arabia was wrongfully deemed offside.

He´s going to win an record 8th record Ballon Dor in a few weeks at 36 making him by far clear of the other guy.

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Its pretty impressive that a footballer who simply walks has the most individual awards in history and is the most decorated player in history in overall club and NT trophies. Did you ever watch him in his prime years. Which were actually quite long.
Yes in his prime years he was the best in the world. Probably since Pep left Barca he's got away with not pressing, his distance covered is much less than pretty much any other player. Not a coincidence he didn't win a CL since 2015 when MSN were at their peak imo.

Also Barca allegedly had the refs in their pocket for a big part of his peak which can't have not helped... (Just look at the Van Persie Red card from 2011...) There's a lot of salt around mentioning Argentina 2022 but quite a few pro's said publically what was going on at the World Cup including your club captain.

How Much Did Lionel Messi Run in the 2018/19 Champions League?

Messi averaged 90metres per 60 seconds, only Manchester United’s Eric Bailly came in lower with 88.2metres per minute.

Other selected forwards in comparison (per 60 seconds):

Cristiano Ronaldo: 102metres
Robert Lewandowski: 109.6metres
Neymar: 112.2metres
Harry Kane: 117.5metres
Thomas Muller: 124.8metres
Source: https://www.nzz.ch/sport/champions-league-messi-laeuft-wenig-und-trifft-viel-ld.1369405?reduced=true

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yes in his prime years he was the best in the world. Probably since Pep left Barca he's got away with not pressing, his distance covered is much less than pretty much any other player. Not a coincidence he didn't win a CL since 2015 when MSN were at their peak imo.

Also Barca allegedly had the refs in their pocket for a big part of his peak which can't have not helped... (Just look at the Van Persie Red card from 2011...) There's a lot of salt around mentioning Argentina 2022 but quite a few pro's said publically what was going on at the World Cup including your club captain.

Source: https://www.nzz.ch/sport/champions-league-messi-laeuft-wenig-und-trifft-viel-ld.1369405?reduced=true
He never ran more under Pep either. Nor does Mbappe now.

Eddy_JukeZ

Messi has better dribbling than both, regardless of them being ridiculously good dribblers, he's definitely a better passer into the final third, better free kicks(will surpass Pele soon) obviously Juninho is the best ever at that though, close control is better (not by much though), creativity in creating goal scoring chances is better than any player I have ever seen, and his goal scoring, it's unparalleled if you look at goals per game ratio.

I don't think for attacking aspects, Maradona deserves to even be in the same bracket as Messi, Pele and Cristiano Ronaldo though, he's just never put up the ridiculous numbers of the other 3, and the most important aspect of attacking is scoring or creating goals.
Stating Messi has better dribbling than Maradona flat-out is quite the take.

I don't see any way you can argue for either being clearly better dribbling wise.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

I think Messi might be a slightly better dribbler, but Maradona was for sure a better passer.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Both, Pelé and Maradona, were more imaginative than Messi, but we don't even need to go that far; Zidane, Ronaldinho and Ozil were more imaginative creators.

Messi has a extremely consistent vision(it's very hard to see he losing a great passing opportunity) and almost perfect passing technique, but he's not that creative. He's similar to De Bruyne.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Probably will play.

:lol:

Gehrman

The WC broke them

Messi probably relates Argentina to Barca because they feel like a family now and both lost together and then won everything together.

Last edited:

Nicoteiro

Both, Pelé and Maradona, were more imaginative than Messi, but we don't even need to go that far; Zidane, Ronaldinho and Ozil were more imaginative creators.

Messi has a extremely consistent vision(it's very hard to see he losing a great passing opportunity) and almost perfect passing technique, but he's not that creative. He's similar to De Bruyne.
youre confusing being creative with being flashy. Messi is far more creative, capable of seeing passes no one can see. That’s creativity.

https://x.com/lmfootbali/status/1696480352372392284?s=46

This is just one example.

Gehrman

youre confusing being creative with being flashy. Messi is far more creative, capable of seeing passes no one can see. That’s creativity.

Messi has always been the master of mastering the basics. He's Cryuff's lovechild. Maradona and Ronaldinho were more flamboyant, but Messi is effective. And his vision is outstanding. I still dont think he's the best passer ever, but he's still a 10/10 passer and pulls of legendary passes every now and then.

The video you linked didnt show it was a no look nutmeg pass

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC

No, I'm not...It would be very hard for me to express what I really mean in English, so I won't bother.

But I can't see how this video makes my statement wrong. It was a great pass, very precise, but was that creative? I don't think this pass was harder to see than Neymar's pass to Marquinhos against Bayern or Ronaldinho's pass to Giuly against Milan, for example(yeah, a pass being better than other doesn't prove much, but I'm just following you).

Last edited:

heraklion

No, I'm not...It would be very hard for me to express what I really mean in English, so I won't bother.

But I can't see how this video makes my statement wrong. It was a great pass, very precise, but was that creative? I don't think this pass was harder to see than Neymar's pass to Marquinhos against Bayern or Ronaldinho's pass to Giuly against Milan, for example(yeah, a pass being better than other doesn't prove much, but I'm just following you).
What exactly do you mean by creativity?

Creativity in the football means creating things out of almost nothing just like his no-look pass against Holland, and tons of other examples in his career. Your post makes no sense, Messi has widely been seen as a creative genius since his early years at Barca.. Whether better in that aspect than Maradona or not is another question, they probably match each other in terms of all types of genius moves, passes etc. with the big difference being Messi has been doing it for way long..

As the other poster said, you are probably confusing being flashy with creativity.. and Messi also had tons of flashy moments with his crazy dribbling skills..

Nicoteiro

How come it’s not harder to see? Absolutely no one expected that pass. He was literally blocked and the pass angle alone is almost impossible to see. If that’s not creative then I don’t know, it’s done absolutely from nowhere.
The pass Ronaldinho does to Giuly is a normal Messi pass in his career, you’ve got compilations of it.