Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Messi probably has better season overall, but Ronaldo seems stepping up more in the important stages, and Real seem favorites to win more trophies than Barca, and looks like Ronaldo is going to be the hero again.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Ronaldo was arguably their 4th best player behind Nani, Sanches, Pepe. He had some dire performances in the lead up, in that Poland game he missed about 50 sitters and was getting dispossessed constantly, was painful to watch. Was just an example that both have been very underwhelming in crunch games at times over the past few years.
Sanches?

Suedesi

I don't understand why this thread is being bumped. Anyone that actually watched the game can't have come away with a different opinion to what they had before it. Ronaldo wasn't very good and yet came away with a hat trick. He's a goalscoring machine. Two of them were offside, admittedly. It isn't like this was a vintage performance for the ages. It wasn't. He was wasteful and greedy but ultimately won his side the match. If that's what floats your boat as to what makes a player the greatest or whatever then fair play.
100% this

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
@Cal? @SirAF @FC Ronaldo

Genuine question.

I prefer Messi but I do understand why some people, yourselves included, believe Ronaldo to be better.

Are any of you able to understand why messi is revered as being the greatest of all time, given his accomplishments? Or are you so convinced Ronaldo is the best that you refuse to acknowledge messi's claim?
Absolutely understand it.

Just because I have a username of my favourite player and post his goal updates, it doesn't mean I'm blinded by his performances only. I'm a very objective person. You may notice that I don't actually engage in many of the arguments in the Ronny or Messi threads. I just post a stat, goal, fact and move on. In fact, in similar fashion, I frequently post facts in Messi threads along the same lines of praising his genius.

Bottom line is they're the 2 best ever in my eyes and I have no complaints over anyone picking either. I'm just grateful I've seen both play live lots of times, had a season ticket for united with Ronny and have seen them play each other in the same game.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Ronaldo is truly an incredible goalscorer. It seems to be seen as a negative by some but it's a great attribute to have.

That said, I have to ask all the Ronaldo fanboys out here... Is it not blatantly obvious that there's gigantic gap between the passing and dribbling abilities of Messi and Ronaldo while thereis a minimal if any gap in terms of their scoring?

It just seems so obvious to me. Maybe I'm the one being deluded???

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Ronaldo is truly an incredible goalscorer. It seems to be seen as a negative by some but it's a great attribute to have.

That said, I have to ask all the Ronaldo fanboys out here... Is it not blatantly obvious that there's gigantic gap between the passing and dribbling abilities of Messi and Ronaldo while thereis a minimal if any gap in terms of their scoring?

Nah it's obvious when you watch them play.

Pretty much, majority on here have the same view.

ryadmahrez

As for the debate I think Cristiano Ronaldo is starting to take off towards the most important part of the season and as a forward I think he is still very complete and much more than a poacher. Messi has other qualities that make him could make him play very good if he was a midfielder in charge of serving balls but still I think is silly to call him more complete than Ronaldo because that isn't true as there are several things in which Ronaldo is better and viceversa, they just have different attributes. A total complete footballer would be someone who is good at attacking, scoring goals, dictate the tempo in midfield and aslo a good defender and it's not like Messi is precissely revered for his work rate and becomes absent as well in several games when his team is playing shit.
I can't phantom how you can come to the conclusion, that the notion to suggest that Messi is the more complete player is silly. I would argue it's more the otherway around than any.

Even by your own norms Messi would be the more complete player. He is better than Ronaldo at attacking( I take it you mean creating chances etc) and dictating the tempo by quite a large margin. Goalscoring and defending you could argue could go eitherway. I do agree that Ronaldo has a better workrate.

Bu for me it's simple to see. Messi is arguably the best playmaker and the best goalscorer in the world. He could play problably play every position in midfield and attack and be the best. And he is the best dribbler, finisher, passer and most creative player in the world. Ronaldo simply can't match this.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He's a great! His general play might be average but one of the best and most consistent finishers the game has ever had. For me, Messi is in a different league. This Barcelona would be average without him, but Ronaldo is so great at what he does, 5 goals against Bayern and Neuer is absolutely insane.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why are people talking about Ronaldo having goals in his favour this year when Messi has actually scored more goals? :lol:

Moby

Dick

No doubt there is, but then they are completely different player for me to even start comparing on the same metric apart from core goalscoring. Messi has actively been the primary playmaker in his team over the last few years, of course that's because he's that capable but that's the role he has, Ronaldo moved away from any creative duties long, long ago and plays as the primary goal scorer in his team. They both simply get goals and decide games after games through their own ways. The discussion really breaks at that point for me. Add to that a lot of Ronaldo's strengths aren't exactly as easy to gauge during a game as Messi's, e.g. I've never seen anyone better in terms of movement, positioning and probing a defense off the ball. That may seem something ordinary at times but it's literally impossible to mark. Add to that the physicality, pace and athleticism it makes sense why he's that incredible a goal scorer. Even in his current state where his dribbling has gone down a lot you can never leave him alone wherever he is on the pitch, specially given his game is about the end product and nothing can hurt a team more than conceding a goal. He has twice the amount of goals in QFs, SFs and Finals of CL compared to Messi (32 to 16), and that's a massive, massive weapon to have. What matters really to me is that he's managed to make a case for himself being greater than anyone else who has played the game for certain combinations of attributes, and there are a lot of instances where I won't pick anyone ahead of him in the role he plays at his best providing what he provides.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Messi will always be the better player, but my respect for Ronaldo has grown since he's lost his physical powers and my love for him has returned.. to do that yesterday against a top side, under pressure, he's not at his best.. tremendous.

I think he's possibly made my top 10 of all time and I never thought I'd say that.

Deleted member 101472

Absolutely understand it.

Just because I have a username of my favourite player and post his goal updates, it doesn't mean I'm blinded by his performances only. I'm a very objective person. You may notice that I don't actually engage in many of the arguments in the Ronny or Messi threads. I just post a stat, goal, fact and move on. In fact, in similar fashion, I frequently post facts in Messi threads along the same lines of praising his genius.

Bottom line is they're the 2 best ever in my eyes and I have no complaints over anyone picking either. I'm just grateful I've seen both play live lots of times, had a season ticket for united with Ronny and have seen them play each other in the same game.
Perfect answer, I wish everyone could just have that stance.

I went to a Barca v Madrid game a few years back, neither really stood out too much (messi had an assist and CR a goal) but was great to see them both live on the same pitch, and you may hate me for this but I got to shake Ronaldo's hand at the airport after the game :lol:

Castia

Two of the best ever players, nobody is even close to them in world football and I doubt their goal records will ever be matched.

It's subjective to claim one player to be the greatest of all time but we're watching history here, when both men are retired I'm sure the likes of Maradona or even Pele won't even enter the conversation.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Two of the best ever players, nobody is even close to them in world football and I doubt their goal records will ever be matched.
Mbappé is on more goals than Messi when Messi was Mbappe's age. Not saying Mbappe will equal Messi but the kid has been sensational so far and is probably the best talent at the moment.

Castia

Mbappé is on more goals than Messi when Messi was Mbappe's age. Not saying Mbappe will equal Messi but the kid has been sensational so far and is probably the best talent at the moment.
Yeah he's got to keep that type of form up for the next 12-13 years to even stand a chance, he's also got to rise to a level that can net 50-60 goals a season, something hardly anybody can do.

No doubt Mbappe is a talent though, easily one of the best young players at the moment.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Perfect answer, I wish everyone could just have that stance.

I went to a Barca v Madrid game a few years back, neither really stood out too much (messi had an assist and CR a goal) but was great to see them both live on the same pitch, and you may hate me for this but I got to shake Ronaldo's hand at the airport after the game :lol:
Lucky sod.

I also find it genuinely funny when people have a pop or make remarks about fanboy status. @AndyJ1985 made a great 1 liner last night tbf (and many others have too) and from the outside looking in, he's absolutely right but behind it it's a completely different story as referenced in my last post here.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Even then, Ronaldo has three more assists!
When you look at chance creation, key passes, Messi's numbers doubles Ronaldo's. Its much easier to get an assist when already in the final third and all you have to do is to square the ball etc, Messi gets the team in the final third by his dribbles/passes through the lines, creating space. But thats difficult to measure. Similar to how Rooney gets quite soms assists most seasons, he isnt some great playmaker but more good decision making in the final third.

Sepukku

I've always thought Ronaldo is the better player. History will probably pin Messi as the best and i think numbers support this but for me Ronaldo is a more complete player.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I've always thought Ronaldo is the better player. History will probably pin Messi as the best and i think numbers support this but for me Ronaldo is a more complete player.
But how is Ronaldo more complete? Messi has better playmaking, better vision, better dribbling, a very decent heading technique (look up his header goals) and his finishing is as good as Ronaldo, hell Messi holds the record for most goals in a season and calendar year. Messi's long-range shooting is also as good as Ronaldo's, hell Messi is even scoring more freekicks than Ronaldo for quite a while now as well.

Sepukku

But how is Ronaldo more complete? Messi has better playmaking, better vision, better dribbling, a very decent heading technique (look up his header goals) and his finishing is as good as Ronaldo, hell Messi holds the record for most goals in a season and calendar year. Messi's long-range shooting is also as good as Ronaldo's, hell Messi is even scoring more freekicks than Ronaldo for quite a while now as well.
I mean he's a better athlete. His physical attributes are amazing.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I mean he's a better athlete. His physical attributes are amazing.
And that makes Ronaldo a more complete player to you despite Messi being as good as or better in almost everything football-wise?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Right now, Messi by a good margin. When Ronaldo was in his prime (2008-2014), it was quite close.

Ronaldo has been hurt more by physical decline than Messi IMO. He is still an excellent goal poacher, but he's no longer the machine that used to tear it down the wings.

Messi is the best player I've ever seen.

Treble

Basically, Ronaldo's in a class of his own in terms of CL goals and assists over the last 5 seasons. Messi's not even close. Tbh, I didn't expect that at all.

For all his playmaking skills Messi has less assists in the CL than Ronaldo. Let that sink in for a moment. It's not like Ronaldo plays with more prolific forwards. If anything, Suarez and Neymar shit on Benzema and Bale. Yet Ronaldo has more assists in the CL. Amaizing.

Bole Top

Messi is simply better and more complete player, both at his peak and now. for me, difference between them isn't as big as it used to be, but it's still clear. it's like comparing prime Djokovic and prime Federer.

Treble

Shamelessly stolen from Sly's post in another thread:

Goals in quarters, semis and finals in the CL:

Ronaldo 32, Messi 16.

Huge difference, tbh.

Cal?

CR7 fan
@Cal? @SirAF @FC Ronaldo

Genuine question.

I prefer Messi but I do understand why some people, yourselves included, believe Ronaldo to be better.

Are any of you able to understand why messi is revered as being the greatest of all time, given his accomplishments? Or are you so convinced Ronaldo is the best that you refuse to acknowledge messi's claim?
Like I've said many times, I can respect people have the opinion that Messi is the better player (we can just agree to disagree).

It's the Messi brigade who think of their OPINIONS as FACTS that I've a problem with.

Cal?

CR7 fan
If I'm undermining your boyfriend's talents, you are underrating the system that was built around him.

Where would they be without him? Where they are right now; winding down on two great careers. Barcelona are the reason why all three off them lost 5 finals between them.

There are lots of factors behind the decline:

1. Failure to replace Ronaldo and Tevez right away; Valencia did a good job in his own way.
  2. The emergence of Barcelona and Messi under Pep
  3. Rio became injury prone and Vidić was finished after his injury in 2011.
4. Ovebro, if it wasn't for his gross incompetence at Stamford Bridge, Barca wouldn't even be in Rome.

wr8_utd

:'(
Ronaldo seems to be slowing down with age but looks like he's applying himself. Messi, looks like his head isn't in it at times. To me it seems like Messi hasn't been the same since the stuff with his dad happened and him potentially going to prison.
If this season's Messi is what he is when he looks disinterested, no wonder he's the GOAT :lol:

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Even by your own norms Messi would be the more complete player. He is better than Ronaldo at attacking( I take it you mean creating chances etc) and dictating the tempo by quite a large margin. Goalscoring and defending you could argue could go eitherway. I do agree that Ronaldo has a better workrate.
I think Ronaldo is more flexible and versatile people give him credit for, he also can fulfill many attacking roles and has his fair share of assists he's taller, better at headers and can shoot with both legs. He has also thrived in different leagues, different teams and has also performed very good for his country along all this years so for that I think he should also be considered a multifaceted and versatile forward that has proved to be successful and deliver into a series of very different circumstances along his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.