• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Ronaldo won the midweek round. Messi won the weekend round.

That's how it's been for almost 10 years. Two gods of football constantly one upping each other.

Football will be so much shitter when they've retired.

Who gives a feck about comparing them. Pathetic waste of time.
Definitely, I'm trying to watch as much Barca/Madrid games as I can, as I know that when they retire I'll be kicking myself for not watching them enough.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Funny how he doesn't show it in the CL knockout stage.

And you've decided to ignore the fact that Messi used to play with basically most of the Spain WC/Euro winning team for years?
He doesnt show what? He is the only force at Barcelona, he doesnt get the service like Ronaldo, he needs to get the ball and make the play for them, Ronaldo is the end-station in a brilliant team, two quite different roles.

No I dont ignore that at all, Messo had the better team (not that Ronaldo was playing with fodder), now Real has a by far better team imo. If it isnt Messi, no one will do it for them.

Sammyjunn

You do know that Messi hasn't for many years? Until this season where Ronaldo started his season deep into October cos he was busy winning the Euro whilst Messi bottled yet another Copa America?
Are you a kid, he actually has.been scoring at similar rate, just compare their goals / game for the last season. That last argument you use is so clear of delusion, Ronaldo didnt even play the bloody final, how is that any better than Messi losing the final, Ronaldo didnt win it himself either.

manutd619

Messi is GOAT. Plain and simple.
Couldnt inspire a star studded Argentina team to glory, so yeah

NB - i refuse to get into the Messi vs Ronaldo debate since its subjective, just enjoy them both while theyre here than you can all circlejerk over youtube videos and come to your conclusions

Deleted member 101472

Oh right... so this one game where Messi was better is the definitive basis of judgement, but not the many El Clasicos in the last few years where Ronaldo broke the consecutive scoring record.
and since you've gone on record as saying Ronaldo is going to win the big trophies despite messi being superior tonight, how many of the big trophies did Ronaldo win during that streak? They certainly haven't won the league during it iirc

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Funny how he doesn't show it in the CL knockout stage.

And you've decided to ignore the fact that Messi used to play with basically most of the Spain WC/Euro winning team for years?
This game is up there with any CL Knock out tie match to be fair. The pressure and the intensity and a game Barcelona had to win or their chance of winning the La liga is over.

DizeeGorilla20

Messi, for me, is the greatest I have ever seen. Ronaldo doesn't come close but neither does anybody else.

wr8_utd

:'(
Do you realize the only aim of football is to outscore the opposition?

You make it sound like goal scoring is just some minor point.
Well Messi is better even at putting the ball in the net this season and I'm sure you'll still think Ronaldo is having the better season.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Ronaldo will go down as great player. Messi is the best of all time though. Hate watching ronaldo constantly whinging and waving at his team mates and playing up to the cameras. I mean that's the best team money can assemble around you. He was bearable while he was here doing the business for us but since he left I've no time for it at all. I know he's a good guy off the pitch by all accounts and always speaks highly of us but as far as football goes I'd rather watch messi any day.

I lost money on an acca tonight. Thought Barca were there for the taking but there you go backing against messi is folly. Love watching Madrid lose. Ramos, pepe, ronaldo etc they aren't all that likeable...

Take messi and ronaldo out of their teams and Barca and Madrid are pretty equal I'd say...

Deleted member 101472

Messi

500 goals in 577 appearances

Ronaldo

518 goals in 712 appearances

Messi is 2 years younger.

If we really want to break down the most important stat, Messi is far more impressive. He's won more silverware Both as a team and individually. When you boil it down to stats, Messi comes out on top.

Not that it matters because all you need is a working set of eyes to see who the better player is especially after tonight. If Ronaldo were as good as Messi, he'd have been able to do what Messi did tonight and lead his team almost sinhlehandedly to victory.

Cal?

CR7 fan
He doesnt show what? He is the only force at Barcelona, he doesnt get the service like Ronaldo, he needs to get the ball and make the play for them, Ronaldo is the end-station in a brilliant team, two quite different roles.

No I dont ignore that at all, Messo had the better team (not that Ronaldo was playing with fodder), now Real has a by far better team imo. If it isnt Messi, no one will do it for them.
If you think that's a fair assessment of their relative teams, I've nothing to add.

Before Xavi got old, Messi basically played with the team that won the WC and Euro without him. One of the most successful international teams ever.

Whilst the Real Madrid side is probably better nowadays, it's crazy to suggest Messi plays with some no marks, most of them won a Treble not so long ago, did people claim his team mates where useless then?

Cal?

CR7 fan
and since you've gone on record as saying Ronaldo is going to win the big trophies despite messi being superior tonight, how many of the big trophies did Ronaldo win during that streak? They certainly haven't won the league during it iirc
He did win La Decima and the 11th. No?

Cal?

CR7 fan
@Cal? guy to Ronaldo is like Ty to Wenger. Its so funny reading this thread nowadays. Both have been great for how long i can remember no more. But atleast @FC Ronaldo can admit when Messi played better.
Considering I have said a few times Messi is having a better season, I don't know how you got that idea from.

Jev

Are there any non-Real supporters who thinks Ronaldo is the best? Don't think I've met any. I was under the impression that a clear majority would choose Messi but I guess it's tighter than that since it can inspire such discussion.

Anyway, Messi is the GOAT, obviously.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Messi

Ronaldo

Messi is 2 years younger.

If we really want to break down the most important stat, Messi is far more impressive. He's won more silverware Both as a team and individually. When you boil it down to stats, Messi comes out on top.

Not that it matters because all you need is a working set of eyes to see who the better player is especially after tonight. If Ronaldo were as good as Messi, he'd have been able to do what Messi did tonight and lead his team almost sinhlehandedly to victory.
That's right, of course it's the same for Ronaldo playing for a United side in the midst of rebuilding and Messi playing in the Ronaldinho inspired Barca who won the lot anway. Great comparison.

One game?! Where were you when he was mopping about doing nothing in 2 games against Juve?

SirAF

Ageist
This thread is completely shit! Ronaldo was not the best out of the pair tonight, and that is fine.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
These 2 are monsters and I'm genuinely glad that I've witnessed both in their prime years.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Well Messi is better even at putting the ball in the net this season and I'm sure you'll still think Ronaldo is having the better season.
Now you've just decided to invent what I said?

I've said a few times that Messi is having a better season.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Do you realize the only aim of football is to outscore the opposition?

You make it sound like goal scoring is just some minor point.
You might think Maradona was a mediocre player then

Deleted member 101472

That's right, of course it's the same for Ronaldo playing for a United side in the midst of rebuilding and Messi playing in the Ronaldinho inspired Barca who won the lot anway. Great comparison.

One game?! Where were you when he was mopping about doing nothing in 2 games against Juve?
I was watching highlights of all the other times he's been better than Ronaldo in el Classico.

Sammyjunn

If you think that's a fair assessment of their relative teams, I've nothing to add.

Before Xavi got old, Messi basically played with the team that won the WC and Euro without him. One of the most successful international teams ever.

Whilst the Real Madrid side is probably better nowadays, it's crazy to suggest Messi plays with some no marks, most of them won a Treble not so long ago, did people claim his team mates where useless then?
I dont know what point you are trying to make or what point I made that disputes that.. You are clutching at trophies won, whilst I find that a bit irrelevant if you want to talk about them individually as their team plays a huge factor in those achievements. As players, individually, for me it's obvious Messi is a better player, and most stats say so too. Assists per 90 mins, key passes, dribbles, chances created, goal scored etc, but also when you just watch them play,its apparent.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
- Both have contributed to winning 3 CL's.
- Ronaldo has 4 league titles. Messi has 6 league titles to which he actively contributed.
- Messi holds the record for most goals in a season and calendar year.
- Ronaldo has 1 international title but went off injured in the final.

A summary of important stats. And Messi is 2 years younger.

wr8_utd

:'(
Now you've just decided to invent what I said?

I've said a few times that Messi is having a better season.
Then why did you say Ronaldo is the best player in the world right now after the Munich game? That was you only, right?

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
- Both have contributed to winning 3 CL's.
- Ronaldo has 4 league titles. Messi has 6 league titles to which he actively contributed.
- Messi holds the record for most goals in a season and calendar year.
- Ronaldo has 1 international title but went off injured in the final.

A summary of important stats. And Messi is 2 years younger.
Messi played six games in the 2006 UCL title (what would be his 4th), ask Asier del Horno about that

Mickfoley

Messi vs Ronaldo is like Ferrari 458 vs Daihatsu. Messi is better by a good margin.

Walters_19_MuFc

Ronaldo is a goal machine. When he's not scoring, he's not really up to much. Messi, on the other hand can control games, create chances and score goals out of nowhere like tonight.

Both fantastic players and its a joy to watch both, but for me, Messi, when playing like how he did tonight, is a class above anyone.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Messi vs Ronaldo is like Ferrari 458 vs Daihatsu. Messi is better by a good margin.
If he were there wouldn't an endless debate about who is better. In truth, it is pretty subjective depending on which year and circumstance you're in.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I dont know what point you are trying to make or what point I made that disputes that.. You are clutching at trophies won, whilst I find that a bit irrelevant if you want to talk about them individually as their team plays a huge factor in those achievements. As players, individually, for me it's obvious Messi is a better player, and most stats say so too. Assists per 90 mins, key passes, dribbles, chances created, goal scored etc, but also when you just watch them play,its apparent.
You said Messi used to have the better team mates yet Ronaldo now has by far the better team.

Clear distortion of events, the gap between Barca back then and Real is much much bigger than Real and Barca now.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Messi

Ronaldo

Leaving the aside all the Messi v Ronaldo stuff, it's stats like that that make me call bullshit on the merits of Pele's goal tally.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Ah so he did have a noteworthy contribution to that CL campaign?
He played 6 games, scored a goal, assisted 2 and got Del Horno ejected in the round of 16.

He was even a nominee for the 2006 UCL team of the year, if Real Madrid had won last year UCL but Ronaldo got injured missing the las 5 games would you discount him the title?

Deleted member 101472

One of the things Ronaldo supporters usually say is " the point of football is to score goals and Ronaldo does it better" then you realize that since 2009/10 messi has 420 goals in 416 appearances for Barcelona and Ronaldo has 395 in 387 games for Real Madrid and that trump card disappears.

Status
Not open for further replies.