Mesut Özil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Listen to your inner muppet guys. Until you see him in a different shirt, we'll sign him.

Amir

Previously he said he wants to play for Barcelona, when it seemed Barca made an offer. Now it seems no one has actually made an offer, until Real came in. I don't really see the big deal. Who knows where he goes if he actually has an offer from United. Quite clearly, he does not. And at this stage, is unlikely to get one.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Wasn't fussed until now wether we get him or not.

Now I'd love to see us pip Madrid to his siggy.

Bear Attack

Real are a very prestigious club and if I was a player, I would want to play for them but looking at their players and how stacked their squad is, one would have to be retarded to opt for them

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
If this is a second time Madrid have been turned down then it seems they do not want him as much as everybody thinks. If you read his quotes, he says he wants to play at one of Europes top clubs, never mentions that Madrid would be his only destination. If a player is asked a specific question then he's going to give a specific answer.

Could be Us, chavski, Arsenal, Madrid, Barcelona etc...

Its clear he wants to play at a top club and thats about it.

Ekeke

Wasn't Canales meant to go on loan this season?
Yep. But then Madrid bought in Mourinho and he decided that he stays. Thats a move that tells me he's in contention for first team places. Else why wouldnt you send him back out on loan where he did so well last season at Racing, alerting the likes of Madrid and United to his contract situation? You'd surely only stop him from going back there if you're going to use him plenty.

TheMancRedDevil

People still talking about this?

Look, if we were prepared to take a £7.4million punt on a complete unknown because bigger clubs were hovering then I think it's fair to say that if we haven't done so already then we won't be bidding £8-12million on a pretty established international who also has a couple of big clubs hovering isn't it?

Drifter

American
Porto midfielder Raul Meireles has emerged as a target for Manchester United.

The Sunday Mirror says United will go for Meireles if they fail to land Mesut Ozil.

United are refusing to meet Werder Bremen’s £12million valuation on Germany playmaker Ozil, despite Sir Alex Ferguson making a trip to Fulham to check on the player in a pre-season friendly.

With only one year left on Ozil’s contract, United are willing to pay only £8m – and that has given Chelsea and Real Madrid the edge in the race to sign him.

That has forced Ferguson to cast his net elsewhere - and 27-year-old Meireles is now on United’s radar.

United were quoted £15m when they enquired about the Portuguese international last week. That is more than Ferguson wants to pay, but with United now outsiders to land Ozil they may have to dig deep.

From Tribal.So have that salt ready.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The Sunday Mirror says United will go for Meireles if they fail to land Mesut Ozil.

United are refusing to meet Werder Bremen’s £12million valuation on Germany playmaker Ozil, despite Sir Alex Ferguson making a trip to Fulham to check on the player in a pre-season friendly.

With only one year left on Ozil’s contract, United are willing to pay only £8m – and that has given Chelsea and Real Madrid the edge in the race to sign him.

That has forced Ferguson to cast his net elsewhere - and 27-year-old Meireles is now on United’s radar.

United were quoted £15m when they enquired about the Portuguese international last week. That is more than Ferguson wants to pay, but with United now outsiders to land Ozil they may have to dig deep.

So United won't pay 12m to sign the player they want but might "dig deep" and pay 15m for their less preferred option.

Who writes this shit? How do they sleep at night?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

Strange article. We won't pay more than 8m for Ozil, but it's 15m for Meireiles - so we're considering paying a higher fee for a second choice player?

dev1l

Strange article. We won't pay more than 8m for Ozil, but it's 15m for Meireiles - so we're considering paying a higher fee for a second choice player?
It's simply illogical and shows how crap rags have become, they re not even good at telling porkies nowadays...

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Personally, I think Meireiles is a better fit for the United side as it is.

Over the summer, and at the end of last season i was saying we need a player like Ozil, a class AMC for a 451 formation. However, looking at the make-up of the squad, I don't see that Fergie is setting up the squad for a 451 formation, our squad is clearly set for 442. As such, a midfielder added to the squad (and i maintain that we need one) is probably better suited to being a more traditional CM who can play in a 442 - which Meireiles is. Defour is another, and one we are credited in having an interest in.

Ever Banega would be another I would love us to be taking a look at.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Yeah, Banega's looked excellent whenever I've seen him.

Neither here nor there though, I'm inclined to think we won't sign anyone because Fergie doesn't think we need to.

Unless he gives up on Hargreaves, that is, in which case ozil would be a terrible replacement.
Yeah - seems happy enough to go with Giggs, Scholes, Gibson, Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson as CMs for the season, with Hargreaves as a possibility.

Next summer could be very, very interesting (to get started early) with the possibility of Scholes and Giggs retiring and if Carrick and Anderson don't improve we could be looking to replace those two as well.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Yeah - seems happy enough to go with Giggs, Scholes, Gibson, Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson as CMs for the season, with Hargreaves as a possibility.

Next summer could be very, very interesting (to get started early) with the possibility of Scholes and Giggs retiring and if Carrick and Anderson don't improve we could be looking to replace those two as well.
I still believe that we originally signed them with intention to gradually replace Giggs and Scholes, and I am talking about Nani and Anderson.

gaffs

Looks like we have missed out on Ozil. Shame.

Was watching Spurs yesterday and was thinking if he could do for us what Modric does for Spurs, we would have a great player.

£12-15mil seems like a bargain for Ozil.

gaffs

Personally, I think Meireiles is a better fit for the United side as it is.

Over the summer, and at the end of last season i was saying we need a player like Ozil, a class AMC for a 451 formation. However, looking at the make-up of the squad, I don't see that Fergie is setting up the squad for a 451 formation, our squad is clearly set for 442. As such, a midfielder added to the squad (and i maintain that we need one) is probably better suited to being a more traditional CM who can play in a 442 - which Meireiles is. Defour is another, and one we are credited in having an interest in.

Ever Banega would be another I would love us to be taking a look at.
We wont go 442 in the big league or European games.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Looks like we have missed out on Ozil. Shame.

Was watching Spurs yesterday and was thinking if he could do for us what Modric does for Spurs, we would have a great player.

£12-15mil seems like a bargain for Ozil.
Well we can look on the bright side and say we can now give Cleverley a proper chance to be our version of Ozil. :D

Devil may care

I've only ever seen Pastore play in a 3 man midfield, he's a free role type of player not a box to box player, and we will most likely never have that under SAF as he likes Wingers and you have to commit to 4-3-3 to use a Pastore or Ganso or any of these other traditional #10's who can't be pushed out onto the wings in 4-4-2.

dev1l

I've only ever seen Patore play in a 3 man midfield, he's a free role type of player not a box to box player, and we will most likely never have that under SAF as he likes Wingers and you have to commit to 4-3-3 to use a Pastore or Ganso or any of these other traditional #10's who can't be pushed out onto the wings in 4-4-2.

my impression is that pastore is another lazy bastard...

Status
Not open for further replies.