Micah Richards - The Pundit

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
When he was doing his Winston Bogarde disappearing act.
Yeah I don’t think you have a good grasp of what the word humble means. You appear to have confused it with ‘injury-prone’ and struggling with mental health.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Terrible pundit. I'm surprised BT didn't pick him up. BT's style of broadcasting suits him.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I hear he graduated with distinction from the Mike Summerbee School of One-Sided Punditry.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He clearly was being up himself and took umbrage at Keane’s takedown and started touting his credentials. Of course, you would see Keane as being an arse and Richards as humble.
Richards saying ‘he burst onto the scene’ as a kid but then ‘underachieved’ is apparently ‘being up himself’. I’d say that’s a very fair appraisal of his career. Of course he’d bite back if some miserable bastard slouching in a chair piped up only to add a dose of bitterness to the proceedings.

Thiagoal

Anyone else notice how every match he name drops current players that he’s been in contact with?

Tonight he was texting Grealish and some of the other lads prior to the game apparently! Redknapp’s smirk told you what he thought of it

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I do hope he doesn't just become the Dunphy of Sky though;saying stuff just to be bloody contrary and playing to the stereotype. I like his abrasive style too much for him to become just plain disingenuous
Don’t think there is really any similarly with Eamon Dunphy who would just go on drunken rants and talk absolute non sense.

Most of what Keane says is correct and he largely just comes out with witty one liners to take the piss. He even does it to himself like when a player was being criticized for not closing down a shot quick enough and his take was that they were being too harsh on the player but then maybe he’s just too nice. He never just spews absolute drivel like Dunphy.

Djemba-Djemba

I think it's as much wanting to get a post-oil money City player on screen as much as anything else, and to be fair, the usual talking heads seem to almost all be United or Liverpool.

Christ help us when Joe Hart fancies a go.
Aye this is the reason.

City are a successful club now and broadcasters feel they probably need an ex city guy there to balance it out.

And let's face it , it's slim pickings to find a relatively big name ex city player to be a pundit when City were completely shite and irrelevant for around 35 years. Who is there to choose from? Jamie Pollock? Lee Bradbury?

I mean remember when they tried Mike Summerbee? He was an embarrassment.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Met him at my year 11 prom in 2011. Surprising down to earth and very funny.

On a serious note, I joked he should come to Utd (when he was at City) and he just laughed. cnut.

OL29

Same with Ashley Cole. I know sky are looking for black pundits. I’m sure there’s more intelligent ex black footballers than these two.
I hope you’re applying these same standards to white pundits too, because those two certainly aren’t the only ‘unintelligent’ pundits around so I don’t know why their ethnicity is relevant?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He wasn’t being up himself at all, he said when he burst on to the scene and Keane took issue with it. Richards was the youngest defender to play for England, turned down a move to champions Chelsea as a teenager. Keane was just being an arse for no reason. If you hear Richards talk he’s very down to earth and humble, I remember at City he openly admitted Zabaleta deserved to be ahead of him several times.
Keane didn’t take issue with anything or was he an arse. He took the piss and made a joke. A joke which they both laughed about and continued to joke about as Keane made fun of him scoring against Israel in a friendly. And he clearly was being up himself as he had to yell about his England debut and start listing off his very short list of accomplishments.

Openly admitting you’re worse than a player who is miles better than you doesn’t take much humility.

Get your head out of Richards ass, you’re acting more offended than Richards did yelling about his career.

Loon

:lol:
Richards saying ‘he burst onto the scene’ as a kid but then ‘underachieved’ is apparently ‘being up himself’. I’d say that’s a very fair appraisal of his career. Of course he’d bite back if some miserable bastard slouching in a chair piped up only to add a dose of bitterness to the proceedings.
Or getting his panties in a bunch because a fellow (and far more successful) pro was just taking the piss out of him overestimating his achievements? Depends on your point of view (or colours your mast is nailed to).

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He's the television equivalent of a twitter troll. Was talking so much shite before both the league derbies and was left with a humble pie on his face both times. Adds nothing of note to any conversation, just sat there with a grin desperately trying to say something funny. Loves dishing it out but gets touchy if you respond back. Total wasteman.

If you want a sense of how irrelevant City are in the grand scheme of things, just have a look at their representatives in the studio whenever there's a big game:
  • Micah Richards. Nothing player. Nothing pundit.
  • Steph Houghton. Scraping the barrel already. Couldn't find anyone relevant from the men's team so had to turn to the women's team. To be fair to her she's the best of their pundits but if she was a United/Pool/Arsenal player she wouldn't get a look in.
  • Noel Gallagher. Erm... what?
  • Sven Goran Eriksson. One season at City. Finished midtable. Won the fair play league. Looks drunk whenever he's on. Can't string together two words.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Keane didn’t take issue with anything or was he an arse. He took the piss and made a joke. A joke which they both laughed about and continued to joke about as Keane made fun of him scoring against Israel in a friendly. And he clearly was being up himself as he had to yell about his England debut and start listing off his very short list of accomplishments.

Openly admitting you’re worse than a player who is miles better than you doesn’t take much humility.

Get your head out of Richards ass, you’re acting more offended than Richards did yelling about his career.
My head’s perfectly comfortable as it is thank you very much and I will defend my beloved Micah Richards so long as there is breath in my lungs. Ferguson had it right calling Keane a ‘disgrace’.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Seems a nice enough bloke but his blatant bias irks me at times.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s a great guy in real life.

AC1689

Considering we often have to put up with pundits like Le Tissier, Ince, Savage, Redknapp, Murphy, Souness, Lawrenson, McManaman and Owen, then is he really so bad?

FYI, I quite like him. Gets the odd laugh out of me at least, which ain’t a bad thing during current times.

keithsingleton

Most of the new pundits that have come on board are all shite, nothing wrong with bringing new blood on but for feck sake make sure they know what their talking about. I swear some of them just google their names and repeat what's said.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Same with Ashley Cole. I know sky are looking for black pundits. I’m sure there’s more intelligent ex black footballers than these two.
I posted this in the Sky Sports thread there a couple of weeks back about Heskey:

Emile Heskey is good in the studio today. Really enjoying his contributions and he’s off-setting Souness’ incessant dourness quite well.
Richards is lowest common denominator punditry. He’s laughably atrocious. I know they often invite a pundit on who has some connection to the teams who are featuring in the live game, but surely there’s a better alternative for City’s games, no?

Deery

Dreary
What was the wobbling his head all about pretending to head a ball at halftime, I’ll tell you that shit will wear thin real quick.

James Peril

No wonder he knows nothing about football at the top level, he hardly played any games after turning 20. He was at Villa for five years or so and played something like 30 games, highest paid player and never took a cut. And what did he do the second his contract expired? Retirement, bank account full of money.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Shame he wasn’t humble at Villa.
He was injured. What would you have done in his position? Give the money back?

Imagine if you weren't physically able to do whatever it is you do for a job. It'd be quite mentally ruining.

Villa drew 1-1 at my boys Wycombe in the FA cup once. He was the only player trying to talk to their fans after.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No wonder he knows nothing about football at the top level, he hardly played any games after turning 20. He was at Villa for five years or so and played something like 30 games, highest paid player and never took a cut. And what did he do the second his contract expired? Retirement, bank account full of money.
Why the hell would he take a cut?
Now that would be ridiculous.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He wasn’t being up himself at all, he said when he burst on to the scene and Keane took issue with it. Richards was the youngest defender to play for England, turned down a move to champions Chelsea as a teenager. Keane was just being an arse for no reason. If you hear Richards talk he’s very down to earth and humble, I remember at City he openly admitted Zabaleta deserved to be ahead of him several times.
When we hear keane talking about how he burst onto the scene, we can talk about Richards bursting onto the scene. He turned out to be extremely mediocre and clearly believed his own hype and rightly got called out for being the big time Charlie he is. He’s also an extremely mediocre pundit. In fact he’s worse than that. He adds nothing.

Bojan11

He was injured. What would you have done in his position? Give the money back?

Imagine if you weren't physically able to do whatever it is you do for a job. It'd be quite mentally ruining.

Villa drew 1-1 at my boys Wycombe in the FA cup once. He was the only player trying to talk to their fans after.
Injured for 3 years? Yeah sure.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Richards is lowest common denominator punditry. He’s laughably atrocious. I know they often invite a pundit on who has some connection to the teams who are featuring in the live game, but surely there’s a better alternative for City’s games, no?
Well he's better than Mike Summerbee and they used to have him on so maybe he is the best.Just thinking who else they could have:

Joey Barton? Busy with management/convicted criminal/ due in court again soon.

Keith Curle? Would actually be interested to see if he's any good but again busy with management. As a manager part of his job is to communicate football concepts so you might expect him to be decent on tv.

Vincent Kompany? Coaching in Belgium.

Trevor Sinclair has done some punditry I think but was involved in a high profile court case, kind of goes against him.

Peter Beagrie has done a fair amount of tv work but I think he's fallen out of favour a bit and they probably want someone a bit more recent and more famous.

Joleon Lescott? Possibly.

Richard Dunne is apparently with rivals BT although I don't actually remember hearing him.

Craig Bellamy? Knobhead.

Schmeichel or Given although you don't really think of City when you think of them.

Rodney Marsh would probably be considered too old now but has experience.

Paul Walsh? Another blast from the past.

I'm out of ideas.

Last edited:

fps

He’s very likeable. He’ll find the sweet spot of saying just enough to make people at home feel they have more insight into football than they really do soon enough.

Tarrou

There’s something quite endearing about him, I think it might be that he just doesn’t give a feck.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Because he was done. His last two seasons there were pretty disgraceful, he basically did a Bale but behind the scenes.
Never understood this thinking, if a club and player enter into a contract then they're both agreeing its good for them - or do you think if Richards had done amazing at Villa he could rip up his contract and sign for a better club for free?

Djemba-Djemba

Well he's better than Mike Summerbee and they used to have him on so maybe he is the best.Just thinking who else they could have:

Joey Barton? Busy with management/convicted criminal/ due in court again soon.

Keith Curle? Would actually be interested to see if he's any good but again busy with management. As a manager part of his job is to communicate football concepts so you might expect him to be decent on tv.

Vincent Kompany? Coaching in Belgium.

Trevor Sinclair has done some punditry I think but was involved in a high profile court case, kind of goes against him.

Peter Beagrie has done a fair amount of tv work but I think he's fallen out of favour a bit and they probably want someone a bit more recent and more famous.

Joleon Lescott? Possibly.

Richard Dunne is apparently with rivals BT although I don't actually remember hearing him.

Craig Bellamy? Knobhead.

Schmeichel or Given although you don't really think of City when you think of them.

Rodney Marsh would probably be considered too old now but has experience.

Paul Walsh? Another blast from the past.

I'm out of ideas.
Was sacked by Sky Sports after being convicted of assault against his wife. Won't be seeing him again as a pundit.