Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

AshRK

To be fair, before this game, everyone was very optimistic and many fans (even here) were already counting the CL money. Had they secured 4th, it indeed would have been a fairly big improvement. I dont blame them for feeling optimistic, but backtracking now is hilarious
It was always a win-win situation for arteta. Finish 4th and hailed as a genius, finish 5th or 6th call it a progress and hail his good work. I can bet many managers around the world would love to be in his position. Zero pressure from the board or even most of their fans and be content with what you achieve.

USREDEVIL

I think he did pretty well recently but the team's form at the beginning of the season doomed them. It's ok, Arteta will rebuild the squad next year, brick by brick.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
You can’t win anything with kids… holds true 99 times out of 100. As many players just confirmed after the game, pressure went to their head… which is perfectly fine, at this stage of their career, Arteta or not.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You can’t win anything with kids… holds true 99 times out of 100. As many players just confirmed after the game, pressure went to their head… which is perfectly fine, at this stage of their career, Arteta or not.
Yeah to be honest Saka, ESR etc look burnt out. It doesn't seem fair to rely so heavily on them for goals and creativity when they're so young.

jeff_goldblum

Right... but the narrative around Arteta is that Arsenal circa 2018-2019 were a decaying, unsustainable, rotting edifice, and that he has rebuilt them. So if things look identical to 18/19 then what has he been doing?
A bang average job?

I wasn't aware that was 'the narrative', I haven't really followed the debate in this thread. I'm just saying Arsenal being 5th is exactly what I'd expect. A manager doing very well might have gotten them 4th this season, a manager doing particularly badly might have gotten them 6th or 7th.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
A bang average job? on

I wasn't aware that was 'the narrative', I haven't really followed the debate in this thread. I'm just saying Arsenal being 5th is exactly what I'd expect. A manager doing very well might have gotten them 4th this season, a manager doing particularly badly might have gotten them 6th or 7th.
The problem is, Arsenal sacked Emery a few months into a season not long after he had Arsenal finish 5th on 70 points, after not being backed in the summer. Fast forward 2 and a half years, Arteta finished 8th twice, once after Emery being blamed for the bad first half of the season, then Arteta doing no better the season after. Then this season Arteta is about to finish 5th on less points than the Emery final full season, all while spending over £200m since being manager.

Not doing any better than Emery (actual done worse), while spending a lot of money in that time is actually pretty poor.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
The problem is, Arsenal sacked Emery a few months into a season not long after he had Arsenal finish 5th on 70 points, after not being backed in the summer. Fast forward 2 and a half years, Arteta finished 8th twice, once after Emery being blamed for the bad first half of the season, then Arteta doing no better the season after. Then this season Arteta is about to finish 5th on less points than the Emery final full season, all while spending over £200m since being manager.

Not doing any better than Emery (actual done worse), while spending a lot of money in that time is actually pretty poor.
Emery reached European final too. Not only played in league alone.

AndyMUFC

They completely bottled it wiith the position they were in, was multiple games were they just didn't turn up. They've finished above us this year but they don't remotely scare me at all for next season.

prateik

No Europe helped them a lot in the second half of the season..

Won't have that luxury next season.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

This is a pretty fair criticism. The only thing in Arteta’s favour is that he’s cleared out the dross and dramatically lowered the age of our squad.

This transfer window is huge for him and the club. We have serious deficiencies up front, in midfield and at full back. Also at centre back, but fortunately we have the Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year to slot in.

The team also seem overly coached. It looks like our players aren’t encouraged to think for themselves on the pitch. Doing so was a key aspect of Wenger’s style (though you could argue he sometimes took it too far). Under Wenger we were capable of making comebacks. This team crumbles as soon as things don’t go according to plan.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ve said it before that arsenal fans are the most delusional. Arsenal fan at work reckoned they’d rival City for Haaland if they get CL football because all Haaland has to do is talk to Odegaard and it would convince him :lol:
Yep the only fanbase worse than liverpool. Cant stand them as a result

NoPace

Remind me of the extraordinary strength in depth in central midfield at the teams around them in the league?

Swap those names with the CMs at Manchester United and I have a think about how this season might have worked out for both clubs.
I mean certainly West Ham and Wolves and Spurs probably better, than yeah us and Arsenal weaker.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I mean certainly West Ham and Wolves and Spurs probably better, than yeah us and Arsenal weaker.
There’s no way Spurs have better options in central midfield than Arsenal. Extremely debatable about West Ham and Wolves too.

You have to remember that Arteta seems to make good players look less good. Every single international tournament Xhaka plays in he looks like one of the best CMs in the competition.

The Purley King

No Europe helped them a lot in the second half of the season..

Won't have that luxury next season.
arsenal regularly get dry humped the minute they face a semi decent team - even in europa league- so the “Europe” excuse won’t last for long.

NoPace

There’s no way Spurs have better options in central midfield than Arsenal. Extremely debatable about West Ham and Wolves too.

You have to remember that Arteta seems to make good players look less good. Every single international tournament Xhaka plays in he looks like one of the best CMs in the competition.
Prefer Spurs' depth and Hojberg playing 35 games.

Xhaka does look better for the Swiss, but he's been inconsistent for Arsenal for more than just Arteta.

West Ham don't have the depth, but their 2 main guys have been healthy. If Partey was healthy and played 35 times, then sure Arsenal.

Wolves is debatable yeah, cuz Mourinho too old, though Neves is good for a slow player, though 3 at the back helps him.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

If Partey plays there might be a debate, problem is Partey misses 50% of the games a season so far. So you are talking about Elneny, Xhaka & Sambi Lokonga behind that. Not rich pickings, and area that needs not 1 but 2 players I'd argue.

ShinjiNinja26

I’ve said it before that arsenal fans are the most delusional. Arsenal fan at work reckoned they’d rival City for Haaland if they get CL football because all Haaland has to do is talk to Odegaard and it would convince him :lol:
Aye they’re the worst. Hopefully the last couple of results have taken them down a peg or two, they were getting ideas way above their station.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If Partey plays there might be a debate, problem is Partey misses 50% of the games a season so far. So you are talking about Elneny, Xhaka & Sambi Lokonga behind that. Not rich pickings, and area that needs not 1 but 2 players I'd argue.
It’s hard to have much sympathy with Arsenal’s alleged midfield woes when you support Manchester United, believe me!

the_cliff

I hear a lot of Arsenal fans complaining about running out of steam and the players being ran to the ground.

They've had one game a week since Jan....

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Seen Arsenal fans saying that it’s “a year too soon” and they would have taken 5th at the start of the year. What a load of bollocks. The only reason they are as high as 5th is because they’ve had no European football and Man United hit the self destruct button. Spurs have have a really turbulent season too and they have missed a golden opportunity.

Finishing 4th isn’t even that high especially when you’re miles of the league - it only takes 1 or 2 teams to have a mare and you’re in. They talk as though it’s some huge milestone you’re only able to conquer once you’re the real deal.

You have to take these opportunities and they haven’t. I consider it more likely they are back finishing 8th next season than top 4.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Seen Arsenal fans saying that it’s “a year too soon” and they would have taken 5th at the start of the year. What a load of bollocks. The only reason they are as high as 5th is because they’ve had no European football and Man United hit the self destruct button. Spurs have have a really turbulent season too and they have missed a golden opportunity.

Finishing 4th isn’t even that high especially when you’re miles of the league - it only takes 1 or 2 teams to have a mare and you’re in. They talk as though it’s some huge milestone you’re only able to conquer once you’re the real deal.

You have to take these opportunities and they haven’t. I consider it more likely they are back finishing 8th next season than top 4.
And when things are going well we keep hearing about how great the likes of Ramsdale, Tierney, Martinelli, Saka and ESR (a few weeks ago social media was flooded with Arsenal fans excessively gloating about the latter two being the first under 21 double figure duo since Rooney and Ronaldo) are.

Yet as soon as they have a couple of shit results it's because the players are not good enough and Arteta needs to be backed (despite the fact almost all of that squad are his by either signing or contract extension).

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why would a club like Arsenal be happy with 5th?

mctrials23

Because they simply aren't one of the big teams anymore. City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United are all much bigger from a financial perspective. Newcastle have just joined that club and Spurs are always around this conversation while Kane and Son are there. 5th is probably about as good as they can expect unless they find a gem of a manager and start recruiting really well.

romufc

I read a few weeks ago that the hierarchy is really happy with him and thinks he is ahead of his development, which is why he got a 3 year deal.

If they think he is ahead of where they should be, clearly they are happy with 5th after 3 years of being in charge.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
And when things are going well we keep hearing about how great the likes of Ramsdale, Tierney, Martinelli, Saka and ESR (a few weeks ago social media was flooded with Arsenal fans excessively gloating about the latter two being the first under 21 double figure duo since Rooney and Ronaldo) are.

Yet as soon as they have a couple of shit results it's because the players are not good enough and Arteta needs to be backed (despite the fact almost all of that squad are his by either signing or contract extension).
I’m not sure which Arsenal fans are saying that Ramsdale, Tierney, Martinelli, Saka and ESR aren’t good enough. Many, myself included, think we can upgrade on Tavares, Soares, El Neny, Nketiah and Holding (all of whom have started crucial games for us in the run in).

And yes, Arteta does need to be backed because he only bought one of the second group of players (and even Tavares was an £8m punt).

There are tons of things to criticise Arteta for. There are also many reasons to laugh at Arsenal fans (there is a reason I’m on RedCafe and not Arsenal-Mania after all). But there is weird amount of straw-man arguments in this thread.