Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

JDDL

Supports
Arsenal
Funny but a bit unfair. Most players are going to choose Barca over most clubs, including us. And United is the biggest club in England with his ex manager as boss. No surprise Martinez came here. Still, it’s true that it’s been a long time since you got the perception that Arsenal were a world class outfit with elite players. You look back over the last twenty years and think of the names they’ve had, Vieira, Bergkamp, Van Persie, Henry, Sanchez, Ozil, Fabregas, Overmars, Campbell, Pires, Petit, Anelka, Silva, Cole…..and you you look at the line ups they’ve had for the last 5 years or so, and there’s nothing there that screams quality, or a player you’d really covet as an opposition fan. Saka is probably the one, but you get that feeling that he might run down his contract and end up elsewhere, like City.

I have to admit that I really enjoyed our rivalry with Arsenal. Now we’re both crap, and the league is dominated by Football Manager style cheat codes at City and Chelsea, and doped up asthma sufferers at Liverpool.
TBH neither Arsenal nor Man Utd are world class outfits with elite players anymore; both clubs have tried that (Ozil, Aubameyang, Pogba, Di Maria, Sanchez, Ronaldo etc.) and only run into problems. I'd wager that more Arsenal players would make it into top top squads (Saka, Odegaard, Martinelli) than Man Utd players (Sancho?).

Martinez has had a lot of hype but ultimately only Man Utd and Arsenal were in for him, and it wasn't clear to me if we just wanted him for versatile backup or as a starter. It could be a starting place as much as anything that sent him to Man Utd.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
35m on Zinchenko seems quite steep for a backup City player they sure are getting max value for their sales. Cant say I know too much about him but he’s obviously an instant upgrade on Swiss Charlie Adam (not hard tbf) and he provides quality cover at LB. Seems like a good if somewhat overpriced signing and the club is really backing Arteta in this window. Doubt we are finished yet either.
Swiss Charlie Adam? I thought he was pretty decent for you last year on the whole? Also, presumably he'd be replacing your other DM wouldn't he more than Xhaka? :nervous:

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Swiss Charlie Adam? I thought he was pretty decent for you last year on the whole? Also, presumably he'd be replacing your other DM wouldn't he more than Xhaka? :nervous:
We don’t know whether the one whose name cannot be spoken will need to be replaced at all. Meanwhile Swiss Charlie Adam is a bottom half of the table level player who should be playing for Stoke and we need an upgrade on him.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
TBH neither Arsenal nor Man Utd are world class outfits with elite players anymore; both clubs have tried that (Ozil, Aubameyang, Pogba, Di Maria, Sanchez, Ronaldo etc.) and only run into problems. I'd wager that more Arsenal players would make it into top top squads (Saka, Odegaard, Martinelli) than Man Utd players (Sancho?).

Martinez has had a lot of hype but ultimately only Man Utd and Arsenal were in for him, and it wasn't clear to me if we just wanted him for versatile backup or as a starter. It could be a starting place as much as anything that sent him to Man Utd.
Your are judging this after over three years with Ole and a horrendous season. The answer to this question is going to look a lot different in a years time

By then you might have Varane, Martinez, de Jong, Fred, Eriksen, Bruno, Sancho, and possibly even Rashford/Ronaldo making some top squads.

It’s all about context. I am a big Gabriel/Martinelli fan, for example, but I am not ready to concede that they will definitely be better than Varane/Rashford in the right system and in form. Both have had far more accomplished careers so far and the former have it all to prove.

As lovely as Odegaard is to watch too, Bruno has shown over a calendar year what he is capable of. He has reached higher heights of performance than Odegaard has. He can do it again.

These players will be better under ETH, the question is by how much. There will be some serious surprises next season for some.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Zinchenko seems like an upgrade on Xhaka at a reasonable fee. You can see when he’s playing for Ukraine he’s not a left back at all, inverted or otherwise. He’s better suited to stepping in there than Xhaka but he’s just a better midfielder.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Zinchenko is the worst left back in the league, and I've seen Telles play a lot! Fecking stupid money for a player that isn't good enough for PL.
Nothing is signed yet, we'll relay your scouting report right away and walk from the deal. Do you have any target in mind that could suit us ?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Zinchenko is the worst left back in the league, and I've seen Telles play a lot! Fecking stupid money for a player that isn't good enough for PL.
Certainly not the worst with the ball, although his defending certainly isn't as good. Obviously there's a City bias to this as well.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Those stats flatter him because he plays in a Pep team. Those stats will certainly not transfer to Arsenal in any capacity.
Hence the reason I said there's a City bias. I'm pretty sure if he was the worst left back in the league, that City fans wouldnt be disappointed he's leaving.

Anyway, did you see Nuno Tavares last season? :p

crossy1686

career ending
Hence the reason I said there's a City bias. I'm pretty sure if he was the worst left back in the league, that City fans wouldnt be disappointed he's leaving.

Anyway, did you see Nuno Tavares last season? :p
They wouldn't transfer to United either so that's not a dig at Arsenal. I'm sure they're happy for the money as they'll now probably go out and spend £100m on a new left back seeing as Mendy is probably going to prison also.

:lol: I didn't, I actually had to google him to see who he was. Was expecting him to be a Norwich player or something.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
They wouldn't transfer to United either so that's not a dig at Arsenal. I'm sure they're happy for the money as they'll now probably go out and spend £100m on a new left back seeing as Mendy is probably going to prison also.

:lol: I didn't, I actually had to google him to see who he was. Was expecting him to be a Norwich player or something.
He was the player that gave away the penalty against you guys and threatened to do it all game.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Have you watched him at all for Ukraine? He’s their youngest ever captain, for a team that reached the Euro quarter finals with his help of a goal and assist in the last 16, and he’s an all-action creative midfielder.

His technique and vision are not that obvious in this supplementary role at City, but really clear in a team where he’s given a central role. And it’s not like the Ukrainian team are lacking technical midfielders so he stands out. He’s a strong performer in a strong bunch.

Assessing him as a left back is like assessing Fred as a left back. It’s the only place he’d get in that City team too.

Varane around town

It's quite comical really.

They've got a home brand Pep managing them and now they are bringing players who aren't quite good enough to hack it at City.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

its statements like this that make Arsenal the most delusional fanbase in world football. Make the scousers look sane.

TheReligion

Abusive
its statements like this that make Arsenal the most delusional fanbase in world football. Make the scousers look sane.
Yeah it’s just a daft statement from a team that barely finished above us last season despite us having a caretaker manager and one of our worst seasons. They still didn’t even manage CL.

TheReligion

Abusive

:lol: Good effort

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Everton going mental in a pre-season game for no reason :lol:
Where was that energy last season lads ?

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah it’s just a daft statement from a team that barely finished above us last season despite us having a caretaker manager and one of our worst seasons. They still didn’t even manage CL.
11 points is quite a bit mate. You were closer to Crystal Palace in 12th than us I do believe.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
11 points is not 'barely' fishing above you. Its comprehensively finishing above you.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
As it stands come matchday 1 we will probably field

Ramsdale
Tomiysau White Gabriel Tierney
Partey Zinchenko
Saka Odegaard Martinelli
Jesus

Were definitely a contender for 3rd and 4th

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
As it stands come matchday 1 we will probably field

Ramsdale
Tomiysau White Gabriel Tierney
Partey Zinchenko
Saka Odegaard Martinelli
Jesus

Were definitely a contender for 3rd and 4th
Unfair when you have deity on your side. That alone should make you guys contenders for the title.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Another good workout for the team vs Everton early this morning. Jesus looking sharp again another goal and a bit of a lucky assist, Saliba looking good and untroubled By Calvert-Lewin, & Thomas Partey started.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
He’s coming in to replace the Stoke level player we have starting for us in Swiss Charlie Adam and he provides quality cover for our starting fullback who is injured half the time. It’s a smart signing.

Blood Mage

They're getting Saliba back aren't they? Will instantly become one of their best players and it was crazy of them to loan him out and buy Ben White.

I don't think Arsenal will pull up many trees this season though, 5th/6th again for sure.

Godfather

Jesus really looks the part so far during pre season for them. Pisses me off a bit we could have done with that guy when Ronaldo leaves.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Zinchenko is a utility player and I am not convinced he's better than either Xhaka or Tierney.
Outside of Pep's system we could see his true level. Ultimately, he improves the squad.

Robbie Boy

Odegaard is fecking shite :lol:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
They're getting Saliba back aren't they? Will instantly become one of their best players and it was crazy of them to loan him out and buy Ben White.

I don't think Arsenal will pull up many trees this season though, 5th/6th again for sure.
As I mentioned, played this morning vs Everton, his first appearance since coming back. Wasn't troubled all game, played Calvert-Lewin pretty well.

TheReligion

Abusive
https://news.sky.com/story/amp/prem...s-been-arrested-on-suspicion-of-rape-12651626

Actually can’t believe what I’m reading here? What an awful example to set and shocking by the club.

United handled the Greenwood allegations quickly and decisively. Exactly what I would expect from a big club to which millions see it’s players and staff as role models.

Not sure what this says about ‘The Arsenal’ but it sure isn’t pretty.

Disgusting.

JDDL

Supports
Arsenal
Sorry, I must be forgetting all of your superstar signings of the last 5 years that have lived up to the hype? I probably misread that Pogba left on a free after achieving sod all and Ronaldo wants away after one whole season. I don't hear much about Sanchez these days but I presume he's working hard in the engine room for Man Utd. Wikipedia says he scored 5 goals in 45 games for Man Utd (vs 80 in 166 for Arsenal) but that must be an error.

Seriously, which of your players are walking into the City/Liverpool squads? Same as Arsenal, not many.