Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I guess me and @TheReligion were correct when we stated that the halfway house approach to tactics vs City was extremely shortsighted.

Hughie77

He was not his usual self v Everton, crowd is pretty close there. And Dyche is not shrinking violet so maybe thought better of flapping his arms about and shouting behind players taking throw ins and running up and down the touchline etc etc .
So well done Arteta for some self control .

The Corinthian

Another indication that @TheReligion and I were on the money when we surmised that it was a weak mentality and short sighted of Arteta to plan for the FA cup the way he did. That’s now 5 points dropped in the next two league games with City to follow.

TheReligion

Abusive
Another indication that @TheReligion and I were on the money when we surmised that it was a weak mentality and short sighted of Arteta to plan for the FA cup the way he did. That’s now 5 points dropped in the next two league games with City to follow.
Very much so. Easy schedule, plenty of rest and points dropped and cup exits.

Much better to keep the winning mentality going.

Dominos

What is the suggestion here, that if they'd have played a full strength 11 in the FA cup they'd have won their league games? On what basis do we know that?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
What is the suggestion here, that if they'd have played a full strength 11 in the FA cup they'd have won their league games? On what basis do we know that?
Yes, that is their suggestion. They are a comical duo, can't take that away from them.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Is there any still pictures with lines? Didn't see anything that was conclusive in the game. There was one where it looked slightly off, but it was a strange angle.
Even Thomas Frank acknowledged it (though he reached a different conclusion)...

"When they kick the ball, Ethan is in an offside position. The next question is, 'Did he interfere enough?' They decided no - and I agree!"

Mike Smalling

Even Thomas Frank acknowledged it (though he reached a different conclusion)...

"When they kick the ball, Ethan is in an offside position. The next question is, 'Did he interfere enough?' They decided no - and I agree!"
I thought the issue was Nørgaard on the second to last ball.

This - Link

The Corinthian

I wrote about it in length at the time - can’t remember which thread though.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I actually think there are at least two offsides. The one Frank mentioned and this one. I was pretty surprised when the goal stood.
And in the image you link to, it seems that both Brentford attackers are ahead of their markers, meaning potentially three offsides. You’d think one of them would be given.

Anyway, spilt milk and all that.

McTerminator

ETH seems to believe in it and it seems to be working…

McTerminator

And in the image you link to, it seems that both Brentford attackers are ahead of their markers, meaning potentially three offsides. You’d think one of them would be given.

Anyway, spilt milk and all that.
City have upped their payments then?:lol:

glasgow 21

Is this Arsenal manager ranting about Var ?.
Love it, after the weeks of shitshow against United when they were all laughing at us, and Arsenal fans calling for Casemiro to be jailed , I'm loving it.
Let the meltdown begin, if it hasn't already. He was delighted when Var denied Bruno a penalty at his place even though it was wrong.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Dry your eyes lego, everyone knew you'd fall away.
Will they? City doesn't look like going on one of their insane runs, while United still has some way to go imo.

Arsenal probably still clinch it in the end.

Mike Smalling

Will they? City doesn't look like going on one of their insane runs, while United still has some way to go imo.

Exactly. City don't look poised to win 15 games in a row, and we don't know how the new allegations will affect the focus of the squad. Arsenal may just have built enough of a gap in the first half of the season to sustain it until the end.

GledTheRed

Arsenal have flogged their starting 11 as their backups are shit.

Hope they fall away as their manager and fans are cnuts.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Exactly. City don't look poised to win 15 games in a row, and we don't know how the new allegations will affect the focus of the squad. Arsenal may just have built enough of a gap in the first half of the season to sustain it until the end.
They don’t need to go on a long winning run though. City go top if they win their next 2, which obviously includes Arsenal away. If they do that, then suddenly all these random games vs Villa, Leicester, Everton they have coming up look super tricky.

mu4c_20le

City have better squad depth. They are suffering now when Haaland is kept quiet, but can you see him staying quiet for long?

Mike Smalling

They don’t need to go on a long winning run though. City go top if they win their next 2, which obviously includes Arsenal away. If they do that, then suddenly all these random games vs Villa, Leicester, Everton they have coming up look super tricky.
Yeah, they go top having played a game more IF they beat Villa and Arsenal at the Emirates. Worth noting they’ve lost their last two big away games in the PL.

It certainly looks better for City now than two weeks ago, but I could see a scenario where Arsenal and City share the points in their games against each other and drop roughly the same amount against other teams. City just don’t look like their dominant selves.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
City have better squad depth. They are suffering now when Haaland is kept quiet, but can you see him staying quiet for long?
Arsenal have less competitions to worry about, and City have their own problems beside Haaland.

Irrational.

He’s so dislikeable, and part of the reason why no one wants Arse to do well (along with their fans). Constantly whining and moaning, he’s developed an entitled mentality and is a sore loser for an average manager with an average playing career. He is unable to give any team credit and is an utter bellend.

He’s losing the plot.

Last edited:

Keanes Magic Hat

He's absolutely classless, the comments he's making about the ref days afterwards. I could understand if in the heat of the moment.

Brentford were well worthy of a point Toney could of had a hat trick.

He's ruining any goodwill people may of had for arsenal.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Yep. Even if Brentford's goal had been disallowed, who's to say Brentford wouldn't have scored 2-3 minutes later?
By that standard of Who Knows What Could Have Happened, Arsenal could have scored ten. ffs, as if fans don't recall the injustices of decisions even years later...

The Corinthian

By that standard of Who Knows What Could Have Happened, Arsenal could have scored ten. ffs, as if fans don't recall the injustices of decisions even years later...
Arsenal got a massive slice of luck when playing Liverpool for similar reasons. They scored an offside goal that was allowed to stand as the VAR camera wasn't in the right position.

VAR farce as Arsenal's opener vs Liverpool stood because Saka was 'out of shot' - Daily Star - so it's even stevens in terms of points gained/lost.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal got a massive slice of luck when playing Liverpool for similar reasons. They scored an offside goal that was allowed to stand as the VAR camera wasn't in the right position.

VAR farce as Arsenal's opener vs Liverpool stood because Saka was 'out of shot' - Daily Star - so it's even stevens in terms of points gained/lost.
Yes, we all benefit from what you call Massive Slices of Luck from time to time, and we all complain when we perceive injustice months, sometimes years afterwards which is the point but I appreciate what you say. We're not talking about Luck, we're actually talking about moaning and the right to.