Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I’m holding reservation on his managerial ability until I see his Arsenal team juggling a Champions League match and a Premier League match in a week regularly next season. That’s usually a good acid test of someone’s staying power at the top echelon. Plenty of managers look great when they’re playing one game a week most of the season.
They'll need a bit of investment. This Arsenal team shouldn't have been competing in the first place, they've punched above their weight all season. If they sign the right players and improve their depth, they'll be ok. Whether they'll ever get to city's level is another question, but they have a relatively young team that should only get better.

The football they play is good, but to win titles takes experience and know how in the pivotal moment, something they lack due to inexperience and players that have been there and done it.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
And how you play in the run in has handicapped Arsenal. Same thing over and over while other teams have gotten into your face and made it uneasy.

If you're missing key players, you either adjust accordingly or alter your ways to give yourself a chance to win. But Arteta is stubborn, ignorant, and too arrogant. His antics on the touch line, his post match comments, they are so off putting.
Don't be so fecking naieve for one if you're Arteta. Trying to play the same way that's gotten you tonked 3 times against City is idiotic. Swallow your pride and accept a more reserved style looking to hit them on the break. It's not rocket science, no one is holding a gun to Arteta's head making him play the exact way they have all year.
Fair points, though I'm not sure it would have changed anything tonight. City are just scary right now while our form has dipped. Arsenal have never been a team that's done well sitting back or absorbing pressure. IMO I don't think it's tactics that cost us here, I think mentally we weren't coming into the game in a good place and it just got worse and worse. We looked resigned to the loss from the start. Pressures of the run in and all.

They'll need a bit of investment. This Arsenal team shouldn't have been competing in the first place, they've punched above their weight all season. If they sign the right players and improve their depth, they'll be ok. Whether they'll ever get to city's level is another question, but they have a relatively young team that should only get better.

The football they play is good, but to win titles takes experience and know how in the pivotal moment, something they lack due to inexperience and players that have been there and done it.
Yeh Arteta has built a good foundation but it's clear beyond 12-13 players the drop-off is massive. We need to invest well over the summer to have any hope of keeping this up next season.

Sylar

Not changing things at 1-0 after city missed two or three chances the exact same way was baffling. It just needed something even if it was dropping deeper to kill the space, and thus keep it at 1-0 for a longer time. That would have frustrated City.

He didn't do his usual sideline antics in front of Pep, which isn't a surprise.

However this isn't the game, nor the Liverpool game. Dropping four points to west ham and Southampton was the crucial point. If they have the extra four points, they come to this game only really needing a draw, and even with a loss, they would be six ahead with two games more played.

Arteta however looked defeated after the Southampton game and offering people cuddles

ti vu

Your 4th choice CB hasn't been the issue. Problems all around the park, none of your "star" players showing up.
Agree. No plan B. You can't expect your plan A to go well against team that have more quality, and especially after having your confidence shattered with 3 consecutive ridiculous results.

Missing a ball playing CB shouldn't make the whole the gameplan collapse when you have time to prepare in a game the back up CB din't do badly in his role responsibility (defending).

edcunited1878

KDB mentioned how they kicked it long a lot and didn't have to play out from the back as much. The long switches and punts up field and Haaland easily holding of Holding or Gabriel, then KDB running off Partey.

If KDB was easily able to exploit all that space between the lines, which many commentators and viewers understood that within 10 minutes, then not only does Arteta have to correct that immediately, but his players have to be aware of that.

Partey kept pointing and passing off his marker or runners to the backline. Game was too easy for KDB and he's their main supplier to Haaland in open play. Arsenal were so spread out and not as compact, all while playing a high line. Bizzare.

AshRK

I know arsenal fans won't like to ask but serious questions have to be asked to him. You can't keep on saying city away is hard, yes it is going to be hard but it seem they came with a defeatist attitude which was very similar to latter years under wenger. I saw nothing different. Tactically naive, played like a team fighting for relegation.

Losing title to this city side is not bad nor is something to be termed a bottle job but the manner which they are conceding should be a worry. There is nothing suggesting that they are here to compete or win titles next season or thereafter.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
KDB mentioned how they kicked it long a lot and didn't have to play out from the back as much. The long switches and punts up field and Haaland easily holding of Holding or Gabriel, then KDB running off Partey.

If KDB was easily able to exploit all that space between the lines, which many commentators and viewers understood that within 10 minutes, then not only does Arteta have to correct that immediately, but his players have to be aware of that.

Partey kept pointing and passing off his marker or runners to the backline. Game was too easy for KDB and he's their main supplier to Haaland in open play. Arsenal were so spread out and not as compact, all while playing a high line. Bizzare.
Exactly. Those long balls were so useful because they left Arsenals CB Arsenal with tons of space in behind and runners not being tracked due to the rest of the team being high up the field.

Arteta did brilliantly to get Arsenal playing the way they did all seasons but he’s also been poor in his nativity during the run and inability to respond to new situations / challenges.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
I know arsenal fans won't like to ask but serious questions have to be asked to him. You can't keep on saying city away is hard, yes it is going to be hard but it seem they came with a defeatist attitude which was very similar to latter years under wenger. I saw nothing different. Tactically naive, played like a team fighting for relegation.

Losing title to this city side is not bad nor is something to be termed a bottle job but the manner which they are conceding should be a worry. There is nothing suggesting that they are here to compete or win titles next season or thereafter.
There is nothing to suggest anyone can compete with city over the next few years.
Arteta has only been managing for 3-4 years and still has a lot to learn but the job he’s done to turn the club around is incredible.
city in this form no one can live with, and we don’t have the resources to go toe to toe so just have to improve a bit more over the summer and see where it takes us.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Exactly. Those long balls were so useful because they left Arsenals CB Arsenal with tons of space in behind and runners not being tracked due to the rest of the team being high up the field.

Arteta did brilliantly to get Arsenal playing the way they did all seasons but he’s also been poor in his nativity during the run and inability to respond to new situations / challenges.
They’re an impossible team to stop now they figured out how to use Haaland. You stand off them and not get a sniff of the ball, or press them then they go long to the big robot

AshRK

There is nothing to suggest anyone can compete with city over the next few years.
Arteta has only been managing for 3-4 years and still has a lot to learn but the job he’s done to turn the club around is incredible.
city in this form no one can live with, and we don’t have the resources to go toe to toe so just have to improve a bit more over the summer and see where it takes us.
Again you are missing the point. Read my post again, losing is not bad but I am talking about the manner of the defeat. You guys hardly looked like a title contenders yesterday. A better fight is bare minimum and I couldn't see that. I hate Liverpool but when they were challenging Pep their team fought with them and you could see they are a top side. I can't say the same for this Arsenal based on yesterday's performance. This game was probably you lots biggest game and your team didn't even show up and that doesn't look good.

iamking

I feel Arteta's work at Arsenal, impressive it is, a tad bit overrated. The club turn around is clearly visible, and with the title tussle this season has been truly incredible for them. Well deserved. But circumstances have helped. Most of top 4 teams including us are on a rebuild. And City/Pool overplayed last season (mid season world Cup as well).

As far as City running away with the league, sadly you may be right here. For us, the next transfer window is key. Unfortunately we need major surgery requiring at least two windows and so we can safely rule ourselves out of the title race. It will be a miracle if we get all our signings spot-on. Not Happening. Arsenal lack quality defense, steel/creativity in the midfield and quality depth. Chelsea needs a miracle manager who can turn the mishmash into a reasonable football team in one pre-season. Despite the billions spent, they still look weak in the middle of defense and quality goal scorer. Again not happening. Pool look the closest to challenge them if they can get their midfield right. But with their skint owners, they will most likely settle down on Elliot's cousin. Again not happening. Less said about Tottenham better. Newcastle are trying to con us that they are legitimate by taking their time in buying their way to success. So again looks unlikely. So yeah City looks all set to be repeat Champions if Pep continues.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Why are people so easy on Arteta and arse?
They won feck all since that fa cup, failed in every cup this season and no - they didn't lose the title at City away. They lost it to West ham, scousers and Soton.

Arse were extremely lucky with injuries and had a bunch of players hitting top form purple patches at the same time.

next year they'll struggle for top 4.

Real Name

Played too open and too naive and like they didnt think they can get anything there. But they lost the title in previous 3 games, not in the game last night.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It was like a loud dad with a beer belly vs a professional MMA fighter.
City with Haaland and KdB is too strong. Take one of them away and they're still strong.

AshRK

Last year he bottled 4th spot to spurs and this year the top spot after leading it for most of the season. Surely something to ponder about.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The worry in the past with him has been these types of runs. I thought they had got over it but clearly not.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
With the good season he has, the CL coming, he will add 3/4 players this season but will have it hard next year confirming and playing in CL.

Arsenal will probably be in pot 2/3 in CL so will face 1/2 top team in the group and will find it really hard to compete both in CL and PL.

I dont see the likes of Martinelli, Xhaka, Odegaard, White, Gabriel, Ramsdale handling and having such a second season.

RuudTom83

City have unlimited wealth and have amassed a very deep squad.

Arsenal have been playing above themselves all season. But as they say it’s a marathon not a sprint, and that has begun to show in the final stages on the season.

Marwood

He seems to be welded to a particular way of playing. You can't seriously believe you can go to the Etihad and high press City. Stop them playing out from the back. When was the last time that happened? Certainly wasn't a team that was recently 3-1 down to Southampton at home.

We showed the way to play them under Ole. You sit deep and counter.

All managers have to tweak their approach sometimes. Even Pep a couple of years ago switched it up against us at Old Trafford after we'd beaten them a couple of times.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
It was like a loud dad with a beer belly vs a professional MMA fighter.
City with Haaland and KdB is too strong. Take one of them away and they're still strong.
Haaland, Kdb and Pep. Feel like other teams will only have a chance when Kdb declines and Pep leaves.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal

You also said that at the beginning of the season.

To be fair I don't think I ever expect Arsenal to fight for the title in nearby future , so I am not holding arteta against that. I think everyone should agree finishing in top 4 was there for taking for you guys but you failed. I know no one predicted Arsenal to finish top 4 but football isn't played on paper. No one predicted United to finish 6th either and no one expected Spurs to sack Nuno and then from that position to finish 4th.
Arteta has been the only manager outside of Klopp to challenge Guardiola domestically in the last 6 years despite having significantly lesser resources. Playing great football most of the season (on target to hit 90+ goal with +45 GD). Developed a young squad full of exciting talent. Should we get rid?

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
The defeat was expected but we couldn’t even get near them. At the moment they are so good that if they don’t win the treble it would be failure. Crazy thing to say. They’ve also got unlimited resources to replace anyone who drops off.
everyone of them looks like they’re 6ft plus , rapid quick, great on the ball, can pass dribble and shoot. It’s a very tough ask for any team to get near them.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
He seems to be welded to a particular way of playing. You can't seriously believe you can go to the Etihad and high press City. Stop them playing out from the back. When was the last time that happened? Certainly wasn't a team that was recently 3-1 down to Southampton at home.

We showed the way to play them under Ole. You sit deep and counter.

All managers have to tweak their approach sometimes. Even Pep a couple of years ago switched it up against us at Old Trafford after we'd beaten them a couple of times.
I completely agree. The issue is the lack of depth and experience in the squad, which means Arteta really doesn't have great tools to tinker much. He has done very well to have us playing a distinct, high intensity and attractive style of football, and has brought in the right players to suit that style. We have come a long way from end of Wenger era to Emery days when we were disjointed with no clear playing style, pretty much just relying on our strikers to carry us (when Auba and Laca were good). We now have a very clear stye and when we go into the transfer market, we have a plan about the profile of players we're looking for. Part of how he's developed us is by keeping consistency and not changing his team unless necessary. He knows his best XI and sticks to it.

The downside is that we have become very rigid and have no plan B, but I think that will improve as the squad gets deeper and more experienced. The lack of tactical flexibility and ability to adapt IMO is mostly due to the squad's inexperience. The commentator said in the game that if Arsenal win the title, we'll be the only team to have done so with the youngest squad in the league. Goes to show that we've probably over-achieved, as you really need more experience to win titles.

AshRK

You also said that at the beginning of the season.

Arteta has been the only manager outside of Klopp to challenge Guardiola domestically in the last 6 years despite having significantly lesser resources. Playing great football most of the season (on target to hit 90+ goal with +45 GD). Developed a young squad full of exciting talent. Should we get rid?
Who said to get rid? Also, expectations change as the season progresses. Arsenal's first half of the season was amazing but the second half has been iffy and questions have to be asked, doesn't mean sack him.

Hughie77

I said a while back City will win this league by 4pts. I hope they don't, it looks like nothing can stop them now

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Will he ever stop gifting Pep 6 points every season? I think that’s the deal: 6 points and in exchange Arsenal get players City don’t want any longer.

amolbhatia50k

I said a while back City will win this league by 4pts. I hope they don't, it looks like nothing can stop them now
It’s surely done now. 4 point lead if they win their games in hand and a better Gd. Plus Arsenal don’t look mentally up to it.

Quagmire Maguire

You guys have really forgot the Arsenal boom bust cycle? Arsenal are always going to win the league this year as their fan base and the media would have you believe when they are top of the league in the early months of the season. Cometh January and the fixtures pile up, in the cold wet miserable weather, and by the End of February, flaky Arsenal are out of contention for every honour except scrapping for top 4.
And here we are.. :lol:

amolbhatia50k

You guys have really forgot the Arsenal boom busy cycle? Arsenal are always going to win the league this year as their fan base and the media would have you believe when they are top of the league in the early months of the season. Cometh January and the fixtures pile up, in the cold wet miserable weather, and by the End of February, flaky Arsenal are out of contention for every honour except scrapping for top 4.
I forgot all about that!

mainly because they forgot how to boom

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Last year he bottled 4th spot to spurs and this year the top spot after leading it for most of the season. Surely something to ponder about.
Another way to look at it is that he bottled the 4th spot, but then got it comfortably next season. By that token we'll be winning the title comfortably next season.