Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

copen1945

That was a Klopp masterclass. The semi final showed the difference between a great coach and a wannabe.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Tried to be a smart arse, backfired. I bet the Amazon filming crew are gutted how this has pettered out. He tried to give them a must watch documentary with his bizarre touchline behaviour at Anfield in the league, and now this limp display has ruined the 'Road to Wembley' episode with a depressed Idris Elba on the voiceover.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Tried to be a smart arse, backfired. I bet the Amazon filming crew are gutted how this has pettered out. He tried to give them a must watch documentary with his bizarre touchline behaviour at Anfield in the league, and now this limp display has ruined the 'Road to Wembley' episode with a depressed Idris Elba on the voiceover.
How did he try and be a smart arse?

Silverman

They have been playing well I thought.
Does he really deserve to be pushed out atm?

BorisManUtd

Didn't watch Arsenal much but agree, think they've improved over last few months. Out of both 2 cups yes, but now have a decent possibility for a top 4. Arsenal board will be happy I reckon, unless Arsenal have really bad 2nd part of the season, Arteta's going nowhere and is there for next season. And think Arsenal will be good over next 4 months.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Got the derby to be postponed. We all knew your players that "weren't available" would miraculously be back for this. Weeks rest didn't work for you, backfired.
I don't think Liverpool fans should be having a go at anyone about how they handle postponements.

Anyway, I'll explain it to you. The team was depleted in the first leg. In that game, Xhaka got sent off. Cedric, Chambers & Leno got injured, and still missed tonight's game, so there injuries were legit. Saka had to come off in the Liverpool game because of stomach problems.

Tomiyasu & Smith-Rowe missed the Liverpool game, so were legit injured, & didn't train before tonight's game, but we gambled and put them in. Partey arrived back from AFCON at lunchtime & we gambled and put him on the bench. All that backfired. Odegaard could return from Covid only this week, not for Sunday there.

Amarsdd

I don't think Liverpool fans should be having a go at anyone about how they handle postponements.

Anyway, I'll explain it to you. The team was depleted in the first leg. In that game, Xhaka got sent off. Cedric, Chambers & Leno got injured, and still missed tonight's game, so there injuries were legit. Saka had to come off in the Liverpool game because of stomach problems.

Tomiyasu & Smith-Rowe missed the Liverpool game, so were legit injured, & didn't train before tonight's game, but we gambled and put them in. Partey arrived back from AFCON at lunchtime & we gambled and put him on the bench. All that backfired. Odegaard could return from Covid only this week, not for Sunday there.
Wait wait wait wait! I hadn't been following the news about that London derby postponement and thought it was a covid outbreak. So Arsenal requested the postponement because of a depleted squad due to not squarely covid but injuries and AFCON?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Wait wait wait wait! I hadn't been following the news about that London derby postponement and thought it was a covid outbreak. So Arsenal requested the postponement because of a depleted squad due to not squarely covid but injuries and AFCON?
That's utterly ridiculous. The premier league are a joke.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think we've been playing well despite the results. Arteta bought decent defenders and that shows. The midfield is basically lost and the attack works with moments of inspiration of the talented players we have.

The worst thing is that I don't see any players progressing, except Martinelli and Saka, but I attribute that most to their natural development in terms of maturity than anything Arteta has done. The rest are basically the same, positions improved because he bought better players and that's it.

I haven't seen anything that tells me we're progressing in terms of coaching and tactics.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Genuine question. Can anyone think of any PL club who has ever had players sent off as frequently as Arsenal under Arteta? I’d love to know the stats. The lack of discipline is absolutely amazing.
No, since Arteta took over they lead with 14. Sky showed it today.

GledTheRed

what?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Genuine question. Can anyone think of any PL club who has ever had players sent off as frequently as Arsenal under Arteta? I’d love to know the stats. The lack of discipline is absolutely amazing.
I'm sure you genuinely haven't seen the red card stat that Sky,BT and many Twitter accounts spam every week. :angel:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The derby got postponed because Arsenal had less than 13 senior outfield players and 2 goalkeepers available. That's the rules currently if there are any Covid cases, Leicester were the same the week before.

Blame the rules, Arsenal didn't break them, they satisfied the criteria for asking and getting a postponement.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think we've been playing well despite the results. Arteta bought decent defenders and that shows. The midfield is basically lost and the attack works with moments of inspiration of the talented players we have.

The worst thing is that I don't see any players progressing, except Martinelli and Saka, but I attribute that most to their natural development in terms of maturity than anything Arteta has done. The rest are basically the same, positions improved because he bought better players and that's it.

I haven't seen anything that tells me we're progressing in terms of coaching and tactics.
We've played well in large spells the last few months in my opinion. We've got a better balance to the team in terms of attacking and defending. I believe what we have shown is we have a good first XI (with a couple of glaring places we can upgrade), but still lack quality depth within the squad when the main players are out.

We will certainly target a new midfielder and striker, our areas where we glaringly need an upgrade, if not in this window certainly in the summer.

The squad depth will need more time, and should naturally happen as we see guys leaving like Kolasinac, Nketiah, Elneny, Mari etc we'll gradually bring in replacements and hopefully introduce players like Saliba.

Last edited:

mctrials23

Whenever I have watched Arsenal lately they have played pretty well. Lots of energy and work rate and some good results. They don't have the team of the other top 4-5 teams in the league so performing as they are is fine IMO. I would love to have some of their energy at United right now.

I'm still not convinced that Arteta is a top manager but what hes doing now is probably punching above their weight which is what you expect a manager to do for a club.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Arteta's Arsenal look better this season.

But I really question the wisdom of focusing so much on 'the future' and downplaying short-term objectives. It's not like players have eternal contracts and infinite good will.

romufc

Yup. This is the thing, the PL has put the integrity of the league in question.

1. Injuries happen to every club - this happens every year, Liverpool didn;t get postponed games last season due to defensive injures.
2. AFCON - Every club knew when the AFCON is, so you have to prepare for it and have a big enough squad.
3. Squad - Arsenal knowing they have a depleted squad sold Kolasinac and loaned out AMN and others.

Its an absolute shit show from the PL to allow postponing a game due to 1 covid case.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Surprised Partey even played, wasn't he at the AFCON 2 days ago?

Siezard

It's certain players who are helping Arsenal and holding the fort, not Arteta.

tomaldinho1

Please stay forever.
Not really sure where he thinks they should be, 6th to 7th is bang on for where they are as a club. They aren't able to attract the top managers so Conte (sorry any Arsenal fans but Spurs are more attractive than Arsenal now), Klopp, Tuchel, Pep, Flick, Zidane etc. aren't going anywhere near that role.

City = vastly better manager, vastly better squad + unlimited money
Pool = vastly better manager, vastly better squad
Chelsea = better manager, vastly better squad + lots of money
WHUM = better manager, similar squad
Spurs = vastly better manager, better squad
United = similar manager, vastly better squad + money

Arsenal aren't getting higher than 6th. I wouldn't even put it past them to finish 9th given how impressive Wolves and Brighton have been

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
We've played well in large spells the last few months in my opinion. We've got a better balance to the team in terms of attacking and defending. I believe what we have shown is we have a good first XI (with a couple of glaring places we can upgrade), but still lack quality depth within the squad when the main players are out.

We will certainly target a new midfielder and striker, our areas where we glaringly need an upgrade, if not in this window certainly in the summer.

The squad depth will need more time, and should naturally happen as we see guys leaving like Kolasinac, Nketiah, Elneny, Mari etc we'll gradually bring in replacements and hopefully introduce players like Saliba.
Excluding the really young guys, like Saka or Gabriel who evolve a bit naturally because of maturity, do you see other players improving under Arteta? The positioning, especially in the midfield, doesn't show any improvements at all. The attack lives off bursts from 2/3 players and the defense is always cought off guard against top teams, the amount of goals we concede is embarrassing.

I guess I just don't see us getting anywhere with Arteta, unless our new normal is beating lower table teams and try our best against top teams, as if are ourselves a mid-tables team.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Excluding the really young guys, like Saka or Gabriel who evolve a bit naturally because of maturity, do you see other players improving under Arteta? The positioning, especially in the midfield, doesn't show any improvements at all. The attack lives off bursts from 2/3 players and the defense is always cought off guard against top teams, the amount of goals we concede is embarrassing.

I guess I just don't see us getting anywhere with Arteta, unless our new normal is beating lower table teams and try our best against top teams, as if are ourselves a mid-tables team.
We've still got plenty improvement we need to make, that's for sure. I think we look good when we have our first choice midfield pivot of Partey & Xhaka, like in the Man City game. The main problem though is we all know Xhaka's faults, again as we seen in the City game, and we have no depth behind it. If we can find a top class replacement for Xhaka who doesn't let the team down often, then that takes us up a level in my opinion.

It's a similar thing at striker. Lacazette is just ok, no more really, and we all know he's not either dynamic or physical enough. I can understand why the club seem to be going balls deep for Vlahovic, as a more rounded forward again should elevate the team to another level.

I also have also mentioned before in the big away games I think we go in a bit too open, and that's why we concede too many. Maybe play 343, frustrate first before looking to open up a bit later on.

Whether he is the man to take us to the next level, the jury is still out for me though, I'll admit that.

AshRK

Not really sure where he thinks they should be, 6th to 7th is bang on for where they are as a club. They aren't able to attract the top managers so Conte (sorry any Arsenal fans but Spurs are more attractive than Arsenal now), Klopp, Tuchel, Pep, Flick, Zidane etc. aren't going anywhere near that role.

City = vastly better manager, vastly better squad + unlimited money
Pool = vastly better manager, vastly better squad
Chelsea = better manager, vastly better squad + lots of money
WHUM = better manager, similar squad
Spurs = vastly better manager, better squad
United = similar manager, vastly better squad + money

Arsenal aren't getting higher than 6th. I wouldn't even put it past them to finish 9th given how impressive Wolves and Brighton have been
But that's what maybe he is arguing, get a better manager. I don't think spurs are bigger club than Arsenal. That never sounds correct. I feel the only reason people like to underrate Arsenal is because of the manager they have. Also let us not forget they did spend £150m plus this season so ultimately you have to ask how come westham are doing better than them or how come Spurs are doing better than them. Or howcome we keep on saying their squad is worse than Leicester or Westham or even spurs. Surely someone has to take the blame.

Football is not played on paper, yes no one expected them to finish in top 4 and a 6th place finish should be a bare minimum but then context matters. To finish the season behind this United side who's season have been in a turmoil is a poor job. Also, let us not forget they have no European football and have been knocked out of FA cup in the 3rd round as well. Surely these things should be taken advantage of.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
But that's what maybe he is arguing, get a better manager. I don't think spurs are bigger club than Arsenal. That never sounds correct. I feel the only reason people like to underrate Arsenal is because of the manager they have. Also let us not forget they did spend £150m plus this season so ultimately you have to ask how come westham are doing better than them or how come Spurs are doing better than them. Or howcome we keep on saying their squad is worse than Leicester or Westham or even spurs. Surely someone has to take the blame.

Football is not played on paper, yes no one expected them to finish in top 4 and a 6th place finish should be a bare minimum but then context matters. To finish the season behind this United side who's season have been in a turmoil is a poor job. Also, let us not forget they have no European football and have been knocked out of FA cup in the 3rd round as well. Surely these things should be taken advantage of.
None of these things are happening yet though?

AshRK

None of these things are happening yet though?
And who said it happened. I was just replying to the other poster who said 7th/ 8th place finish is bang on for Arsenal. I think the major reason people say that is due to the manager they have.