Television Mindhunter

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I thought it had an interesting arc and was a natural evolution from season 1. While I really enjoyed the interviews of serial killers (and mainly Holden's reactions during them, that make him pretty fascinating and that underline just how fine the line between him and them is), it had to move onto something else so their involvement in an active case made sense. It was also good to see the arrogant Holden doubt himself at times, especially when realizing how high the stakes were. Tench's character is probably the most interesting of the three but the story with his kid was a bit boring, and Wendy was mostly just wasted this season. I don't think it was perfect overall, but it was really enjoyable, it's still as well put together (give me hour long episodes of Zodiac style directing any day of the week!) and it definitely begs for a third season. It's just going to be an excruciatingly long wait again, isn't it?

AkaAkuma

I think the change in direction was needed and overall it was a fuller series, but felt it lost a lot which made the first season interesting; which were the interviews and team work. I was eagerly anticipating the series but ultimately left disappointed.

Watching Unabomber : manhunt again, which I feel is probably a superior series.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I haven't watched the finale yet but I thought the first five episodes were superb, but the last three have been a bit disappointing. Still very good, but disappointing considering how good the first five were

As others have said, Wendy's a shit character and her personal arc was dull as feck. Bill is a better character but the convenience of his kid being involved in a sadistic murder and then essentially fulfilling the criteria of being a future serial killer was really silly and the overall plot was very distracting and unnecessary. I get that these characters need personal arcs but surely they can be done better than trying to shoehorn in something relevant to the main plot at the cost of any realism whatsoever.

Also Holden basically got nothing personal this season. The panic attack stuff was pretty much brushed off instantly. He is an annoying little shit of a character but still the most interesting of the three.

Mainly though I wasn't really sold on the Atlanta Child Killer plotline. It turned the show into a procedural detective show essentially, when it's at its best exploring these serial killers and their motivates, and doing interviews, as opposed to chasing them.

First five episodes are a 9/10 and next 3 are a 7/10, for me

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
* Next season will probably see Gregg's moral hypocrisy revealed.
* Sad to say but Wendy's presence increasingly seems like tokenism.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
* Next season will probably see Gregg's moral hypocrisy revealed.
* Sad to say but Wendy's presence increasingly seems like tokenism.
Absolutely. Her scenes were quite boring this season, IMO.

I loved every scene Agent Barney was in, however. I hope he plays a prominent part in next season’s investigation(s). How he was overlooked for Gregg when the team was looking to expand is an abomination.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
4 episodes into the second season and it's looking great so far. There were quite a few comedic moments there that I wasn't expecting from it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
S2 was a mixed bag. Holden became more interesting, but the personal strife with the other two felt like wasted time. It might’ve been better if less time was spent explaining Tench’s psycho son and instead you saw him stressed and starting to unravel without knowing why at first.

ValenciaRocks

Great show and well worth a watch. First season the better season but the second one is still really enjoyable.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I think the change in direction was needed and overall it was a fuller series, but felt it lost a lot which made the first season interesting; which were the interviews and team work. I was eagerly anticipating the series but ultimately left disappointed.

Watching Unabomber : manhunt again, which I feel is probably a superior series.
I'd also recommend hannibal, which is excellent but complete fiction obviously.

SteveJ

Scout
I'm fond of Criminal Minds, despite its flaws.
Hannibal is great.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It feels like a show that could run and run, exploring different serial killers through the years. I would love it.

But it's Netflix so expect 3 and out.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Also - have there been any notable serial killers these past couple of decades for example? It seems like it was a big thing in 70s-80s, less so now. But I may be mistaken.

izec

Really liked it, when i first started with season 1, i only read the description on Netflix and didnt think that much of it. Turned out to be one of my favourite shows the last couple of years on Netflix, alongside Dark

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I really enjoyed it, probably more than Season one.

At first I was kind of wondering why the gradual shift to Atlanta instead of interviewing serial killers but it worked really well as it gradually became more and more important. I think it needed something like this because it was them putting their profiling to work for the first time in the field rather than just talking to famous killers which could make it a bit stale if the show was solely that.

Thought they did a really good job showing how this psychological approach was first seen by the local police/community and also how things were in Atlanta during these killings. I had no idea that this even happened and it was 29 children. That's insane.

Only negatives were Wendy's plot-line and Tench's kid. They had a good idea with Wendy continuing the interviews and taking Gregg along but that was ditched pretty speedily and then literally all we got from her story was her relationship drama.

Also I've only just realised Tench's wife is Rachel from the Office.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also - have there been any notable serial killers these past couple of decades for example? It seems like it was a big thing in 70s-80s, less so now. But I may be mistaken.
I was saying this. There have been a couple but often it seems they discover a load of bodies at a time and realise this person was a serial killer, or they catch someone for one and link them to a few others they never noticed were linked.

Can't remember the last time there was actually an active serial killer around that would strike again and it be reported in the press kinda thing. The science and investigation techniques nowadays though probably make this very difficult but damn would it be interesting in this day and age.

SteveJ

Scout
I think Gregg has a secret life.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I really enjoyed it, probably more than Season one.

At first I was kind of wondering why the gradual shift to Atlanta instead of interviewing serial killers but it worked really well as it gradually became more and more important. I think it needed something like this because it was them putting their profiling to work for the first time in the field rather than just talking to famous killers which could make it a bit stale if the show was solely that.

Thought they did a really good job showing how this psychological approach was first seen by the local police/community and also how things were in Atlanta during these killings. I had no idea that this even happened and it was 29 children. That's insane.

Only negatives were Wendy's plot-line and Tench's kid. They had a good idea with Wendy continuing the interviews and taking Gregg along but that was ditched pretty speedily and then literally all we got from her story was her relationship drama.

Also I've only just realised Tench's wife is Rachel from the Office.
Jesus Christ, mind fecking blown.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I think Gregg has a secret life.
He's a closet Spurs fan. Shifty prick.
Bloody hell, the numbers in 70s to 90s :lol:
I think it needed something like this because it was them putting their profiling to work for the first time in the field rather than just talking to famous killers which could make it a bit stale if the show was solely that.

Thought they did a really good job showing how this psychological approach was first seen by the local police/community and also how things were in Atlanta during these killings.
Agree with this, while the serial killer interviewing makes this show special, it would become redundant quickly if they weren't able to renew the storyline somewhat, which they did well in this season (and the shift happened rather organically, I felt).

SparkedIntoLife

I think it's a bit overrated honestly. I didn't feel much of the atmosphere or terror of it all. It feels quite clinical and cold which must be intentional as Fincher's work is normally immersive and terrifying. If anything, it glamorised some of the killers. The subplots were a bit boring as others have said. The highlights are generally the interviews and special credit must go to the makeup team who did an incredible job in making the actors look like these notorious murderers.

The rumoured Golden State Killer dramatization on Netflix would be absolutely harrowing.

SteveJ

Scout
How do you think it made the killers seem glamorous?

SparkedIntoLife

How do you think it made the killers seem glamorous?
Glamorous is the wrong word I guess. I suppose many of them are charming and glib and some profilers would have a morbid, almost fanboy fascination with them like Holden with Manson. That's all well and good. I guess I just didn't think enough was shown of the devastating reality of their crimes. We spent ages hearing things from their POV and it, at times, came across as delighting in the killer rather than exposing them. That's my take, anyway.

Also, everyone raves about the performance of Cameron Brittain playing Kemper but he comes across benign and cuddly which is totally incongruent with the real man's interviews. Anyone can see the obvious rage and darkness in the real life Kemper, even if he was cordial and polite. He certainly wasn't cuddly and cheerful.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I keep seeing people talking about how Kemper in the show creeps them out but he doesn't seem threatening at all. He's just kinda their prison sidekick that helps them solve mysteries.

SteveJ

Scout
Glamorous is the wrong word I guess. I suppose many of them are charming and glib and some profilers would have a morbid, almost fanboy fascination with them like Holden with Manson. That's all well and good. I guess I just didn't think enough was shown of the devastating reality of their crimes. We spent ages hearing things from their POV and it, at times, came across as delighting in the killer rather than exposing them. That's my take, anyway.

Also, everyone raves about the performance of Cameron Brittain playing Kemper but he comes across benign and cuddly which is totally incongruent with the real man's interviews. Anyone can see the obvious rage and darkness in the real life Kemper, even if he was cordial and polite. He certainly wasn't cuddly and cheerful.
Stating the obvious, I know, but there's a dangerous tactic of manipulation employed by most of the interview subjects. For instance, I briefly found myself agreeing with Manson when he ranted about how he & countless others like him are the 'abandoned and mistreated children of society'. Of course, there's some truth in that...but really only as it applies to other waifs and strays who don't revenge themselves as Manson did. I feel it rarely helps our understanding if such criminals are routinely considered to be 'monsters - all evil, all the time' but this needn't lead to naivety on our part: criminals like Manson, Hindley etc are adept at, ironically, playing the victim. The show, I think, adequately reveals the true faces behind the masks of civility and pity they wear before people they desire to use.