Mo Salah

el3mel

The problem isn't thinking Salah is selfish but to think he's more selfish than say Mane. You can see here his Key passing rate per game is the highest in Liverpool with 1.8, 16th in the league. Mane is at 1.3 at 46th, Firmino is 45th with 1.3 too. :

He's also 6th in the league and the highest in Liverpool in number of through balls he made with 19. Mane is 14th with 14 and Firmino is 11th with 16 through balls :

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_through_ball

Also with the fact he has the 3rd most assists in Liverpool team and 10th overall in the league :

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goal_assist

So to claim he's the most selfish in Liverpool team unlike Mane for example is a weird myth.

Last edited:

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
Gareth Bale is on £500k a week. Sergio Ramos and Kroos are on £400k. Modric and Marcelo similar. Hazard will be on at least that as well.

Salah isn't just another player, he's genuinely one of the very best in the world. His peers are the likes of Hazard. Yes, he'd earn substantially more if we went for him
Where are you getting those numbers? When I googled "Real Madrid wages", these were the first 3 links that popped up:

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/real-madrid-player-salaries/

https://sillyseason.com/salary/real-madrid-players-salaries-69080/

https://www.capology.com/club/real-madrid/salaries

I don't necessarily trust these sources, but I don't think any are completely believable because there is always inconsistency over whether or not the figure is pre- or post-tax. Perhaps that explains the discrepancy between our numbers.

Additionally, Madrid hasn't really spent a ton on transfers in recent years. Jovic at 54 million pounds is their highest transfer since James in 2014. If they were wealthy enough to double the wages that Liverpool pays, I think they also would've been able to spend a bit more on transfers. And I realize they are going to be spending big this summer, but this is only after the windfall from the Ronaldo transfer, several years of light spending, and several expected departures.

I don't want to get too off topic, though. I just think Liverpool have started putting their players on very competitive wages, and that Salah is very good, but not in that very small handful of players that will have any club jump at the chance to sign him. He's paid more or less what he is worth, and he seems happy at Liverpool. If he leaves, I don't think it would be about money (just like it wasn't about money for Coutinho).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Where are you getting those numbers?
Spanish media

Additionally, Madrid hasn't really spent a ton on transfers in recent years.
You're making the mistake of thinking that a club's finances are tied to what they spend on transfers. We didn't spend much on transfers largely because our team was good enough to win 3 CL in a row. The one big galactico signing we went for choose PSG instead. That said, we still spent a lot on wages. The 3 CL cost us something like €150m in prize money alone, plus all the bumper deals that followed. We have the second highest wage bill in the world, and the third isn't particularly close.

And of course it was also about money with Coutinho. Barcelona's initial offer doubled what he was making with you iirc. He ended having to accept slashing it somewhat(with the promise he'd get that money back the first time he signed a new deal. Funny how this things go sometimes) but is still earning 1.5 times what he was earning at liverpool

Last edited:

redshaw

Where are you getting those numbers? When I googled "Real Madrid wages", these were the first 3 links that popped up:

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/real-madrid-player-salaries/

https://sillyseason.com/salary/real-madrid-players-salaries-69080/

https://www.capology.com/club/real-madrid/salaries

I don't necessarily trust these sources, but I don't think any are completely believable because there is always inconsistency over whether or not the figure is pre- or post-tax. Perhaps that explains the discrepancy between our numbers.

Additionally, Madrid hasn't really spent a ton on transfers in recent years. Jovic at 54 million pounds is their highest transfer since James in 2014. If they were wealthy enough to double the wages that Liverpool pays, I think they also would've been able to spend a bit more on transfers. And I realize they are going to be spending big this summer, but this is only after the windfall from the Ronaldo transfer, several years of light spending, and several expected departures.

I don't want to get too off topic, though. I just think Liverpool have started putting their players on very competitive wages, and that Salah is very good, but not in that very small handful of players that will have any club jump at the chance to sign him. He's paid more or less what he is worth, and he seems happy at Liverpool. If he leaves, I don't think it would be about money (just like it wasn't about money for Coutinho).
His ~350k a week is after tax, he's on 600k to clear that.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48332715

CognitiveNeuro

I maybe in minority but honestly I wouldn't mind if we let him go provided we get 150-200m. I am not happy with his in-game attitude. He is being too selfish this season. I understand all strikers are selfish but then he needs to understand team comes before anything else. During final, there were couple of instances where passing the ball to Mane would have been better option but as usual Salah tried some worldy shot which didnt work. It was very clear to see Mane's frustration. Luckily it didnt cost the team.
But I remember during the low phase in the beginning of second half of this season where we were drawing too many, he was guilty of this selfish attitude. I feel he is an above average player but not a world class one. Mane and Firmino are the ones I wouldn't want to lose at any cost.
I agree with you. I think it's in the minority too and there are a lot of Salah fanboys especially at Liverpool who are very touchy about this subject.

If Salah was playing for anyone other than Klopp he would be back to his Roma of Chelsea form. He takes a lot of opportunities to score and it is not always reflected in statistics. There are many times where he could pass to other players especially Mane but just continues dribbling or taking long shots. If he continues dribbling or dwells on the ball, it isn't going to show up on statistics but it's obvious to anyone to see who watches every game. He has gotten way more selfish and puts himself above other players. Remember when he walked off the pitch smiling against Everton after Liverpool lost the top of the league (and basically lost the league). He missed easy chances and could have helped other players to score but he couldn't care less..and the whole thing with the Milner penalty.

Also the weird "signature" celebrations with yoga poses etc and the signature jerseys he shows to the camera after games makes you wonder if he feels like he's some sort of celebrity now. It's kinda cringey tbh.

If Klopp can get 150-200M for him, can you imagine how much he would strengthen this squad? I seriously believe Liverpool can win the title if he was sold and Klopp was given that money to strengthen the squad. Look what he did with the Coutinho money.

I also really don't think Salah is world class. The only TRUE world class player that can shine at another club without Klopp's system and motivation is Van Dijk. He's irreplaceable. I feel Klopp can sell anyone else and I would be confident he would improve the squad and be closer to winning more trophies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
His chance to move to any of the huge continental clubs is now.
Barca can't afford him and Zidane wants Hazard. None of the other clubs would be a step up in either stature or wages.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Bayern, PsG and Juve say hello.

And I didn't know you have inside access to what Barça can or can't afford.
I think there was a clause inserted into the Coutinho deal that Barca couldn’t sign another player from us for a couple of years without paying a huge premium on top of the agreed transfer price.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe my post came across like I hate Salah and have an agenda against him. No, I dont. I like him and it maybe recency bias. I did not have any issue with his play last year but this year I have found changes in his play.
I have already said that I understand strikers are generally selfish that applies to Mane as well but my point is you can be selfish when your team is winning and game is over as a contest.
I called out Salah because as other posters correctly mentioned he is the main guy in Liverpool team who creates more chances. He could convert these chances into goals if he decides to pass the chance to player who has more probability of scoring otherwise it just remains a stat and doesnt help the team. Tomorrow, if I find Mane is guilty of same, I'd call him out too. For me, team comes before any individual.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
I feel Klopp can sell anyone else and I would be confident he would improve the squad and be closer to winning more trophies.
Exactly, the reason we are today European champions is because of Klopp and his system not because of any individual player like 2013-14 where Suarez single handed brought us closer to league title.

I think there was a clause inserted into the Coutinho deal that Barca couldn’t sign another player from us for a couple of years without paying a huge premium on top of the agreed transfer price.
Completly pointless “clause”. Means nothing if Liverpool want to sell the player, and Barcelona want to buy the player. It doesn’t mean that if any player goes from Liverpool that every other club in the world would pay £100m and Barcelona have to pay £140m.

It made Liverpool fans feel good at the time, but in a practical sense it does nothing.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Completly pointless “clause”. Means nothing if Liverpool want to sell the player, and Barcelona want to buy the player. It doesn’t mean that if any player goes from Liverpool that every other club in the world would pay £100m and Barcelona have to pay £140m.

It made Liverpool fans feel good at the time, but in a practical sense it does nothing.
I think you're confused about the clause. From what I've read, mostly on here, Salah is available for :

Any other club : 200m+
Barcelona : 300m+

Why would Liverpool give Barça an easy ride just because Salah may cause a strop to get his move? Klopp will just bench him and play Brewster or me in his position and make us the next world class striker. More than likely he'll buy someone like Bruno Fernandez, Depay though from the record winnings of 250m this season.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
You say it is "pointless" but make the case why it does have a point in the next sentence by saying "IF Pool want to sell".

Similar clauses are used when managers switch clubs, like for example Sarri can only take one player from Napoli to Chelsea.

I take it this is not happening?
I think you're confused about the clause. From what I've read, mostly on here, Salah is available for :

Why would Liverpool give Barça an easy ride just because Salah may cause a strop to get his move? Klopp will just bench him and play Brewster or me in his position and make us the next world class striker. More than likely he'll buy someone like Bruno Fernandez, Depay though from the record winnings of 250m this season.
I think you are confused about how things actually work. It’s simply not going to happen that Barcelona pay a “premium” to Liverpool to buy any player from them due to a clause.

To use a better example of this complete fallacy.

If tomorrow Barcelona bid £30m for Minogolet. Are Liverpool going to come back and say, “yes - that’s the transfer fee, but now you must pay us the premium as well for any Liverpool player you buy, so that’s another £40-100m (whatever you believe this premium to be). Ridiculous.

shaky

It's pointless because if Liverpool were willing to sell him for £200m to Madrid, you think they'd tell Barca to get stuffed if they offered £210m?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I think you are confused about how things actually work. It’s simply not going to happen that Barcelona pay a “premium” to Liverpool to buy any player from them due to a clause.

If tomorrow Barcelona bid £30m for Minogolet. Are Liverpool going to come back and say, “yes - that’s the transfer fee, but now you must pay us the premium as well for any Liverpool player you buy, so that’s another £40-100m (whatever you believe this premium to be). Ridiculous.
Not to Mig obviously. :houllier: For him or Karius we will accept the 30m and pay Barça 100m premium ourselves!!

Not sure if you've been watching us lately but Salah is not Mig level. We can choose what we want to do. The emphasis is on we. We decide on the premium that Barça must pay and for whom. Keyword 'we'.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
It's pointless because if Liverpool were willing to sell him for £200m to Madrid, you think they'd tell Barca to get stuffed if they offered £210m?
No we'd tell Barça we are happy to meet them half way. Instead of 300m we'll shave 50% and they can have him for 250m. Again keyword 'we' would yank the chain as hard as we want.

Not to Mig obviously. :houllier: For him or Karius we will accept the 30m and pay Barça 100m premium ourselves!!

Not sure if you've been watching us lately but Salah is not Mig level. We can choose what we want to do. The emphasis is on we. We decide on the premium that Barça must pay and for whom. Keyword 'we'.
You are completly deluded. As I said earlier, it made Liverpool fans feel good - because of this very special clause. In every single applicable way, in reality it’s utterly pointless.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
You are completly deluded. As I said earlier, it made Liverpool fans feel good - because of this very special clause. In every single applicable way, in reality it’s utterly pointless.
:lol:

I understand its a painful time so I'll leave it here. Final thoughts, Philip Coutinho. :cool:

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool

You need to understand who has upper hand here. If Liverpool think, Minogolet is surplus and 30m is as per their valuation, they are in position to say okay no need to pay another 100mil as per the clause but if Barca approaches a player Liverpool doesnt want to sell they can use the clause to get an additional 100m over the agreed transfer fees. Also I think the clause is valid for next year or two only, not forever.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Can't see it for three reasons:

1) Liverpool are a top three (maybe top two) team in Europe. Moving to Bayern, PSG, Juve etc is a step down at this point, so it's only realistically Madrid or Barca.
2) He'd cost £250million minimum, and both teams need too much immediate surgery to spend that on one player.
3) Liverpool have given him a global platform he quite simply wouldn't get anywhere else. He's the third biggest name in the sport now after Ronaldo and Messi, and he's done that because he's the major global superstar in the English speaking game. Moving to Madrid or Barca threatens to overshadow his own star name which is still rising. Why would he threaten that while his name's only getting bigger.

Maybe in a few years, absolutely can't see it any time soon.

You say it is "pointless" but make the case why it does have a point in the next sentence by saying "IF Pool want to sell".

Similar clauses are used when managers switch clubs, like for example Sarri can only take one player from Napoli to Chelsea.
All clubs have to agree a transfer fee with another club, that’s agreeing to sell/ buy a player. Ergo that want to sell. Being facetious with semantics doesn’t disprove my point.

Liverpool don’t have to sell any player under contract - a pointless “clause” does nothing to change that fact.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The whole point of it is to prevent barcelona from going after salah or mane or VVD or any other player liverpool don't want to lose

shaky

Can't see it for three reasons:

1) Liverpool are a top three (maybe top two) team in Europe. Moving to Bayern, PSG, Juve etc is a step down at this point, so it's only realistically Madrid or Barca.
2) He'd cost £250million minimum, and both teams need too much immediate surgery to spend that on one player.
3) Liverpool have given him a global platform he quite simply wouldn't get anywhere else. He's the third biggest name in the sport now after Ronaldo and Messi, and he's done that because he's the major global superstar in the English speaking game. Moving to Madrid or Barca threatens to overshadow his own star name which is still rising. Why would he threaten that while his name's only getting bigger.

Maybe in a few years, absolutely can't see it any time soon.
1. deluded
2. deluded
3. deluded

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
1. deluded
2. deluded
3. deluded
Step 1) Literally win the actual trophy called "European Cup"
Step 2) Claim that we're a top 3 team in Europe
Step 3) ???
Step 4) Get called deluded

shaky

Step 1) Literally win the actual trophy called "European Cup"
Step 2) Claim that we're a top 3 team in Europe
Step 3) ???
Step 4) Get called deluded
One major trophy in about 15 years for Liverpool and suddenly teams like Bayern and Juventus are lesser destinations? You've not even been the best team in your own country since the 1980s yet claiming now to be biggger than at least one of Madrid or Barca? Comedy.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Too expensive. It'd take some reckoning on PSG's part to force Liverpool's hand in addition to Salah causing a stink. I don't see it happening for at least two seasons.

Also United fans who refuse to believe winning the Champion's League makes a team attractive :houllier:

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
1. deluded
2. deluded
3. deluded
1) If you get back to back CL finals, win the second one and put together a 97 point league season you're one of the best three teams in Europe at that time. It's us, City and Barca. The problem with your Bayerns, Juves and PSGs is that they're in leagues that are so massively uncompetitive it's starting to affect the image of the club's themselves. Does anyone think winning Bundesliga, Ligue 1 or Serie A is a massive achievement? The fans of those clubs don't even because they all wanted their managers out despite that. Why would Salah give Liverpool up for them?
2) Real have already spent about 200 million and they want Hazard or Eriksen. You're looking at 600 million in a single window if you add Salah, not happening. Barcelona barely look able to put the money on the table for Griezmann because they're hampered by the massive wages they've given to unwanted players like Umtiti, Rakitic and Coutinho. They're not putting together the package Salah requires.
3) This ones the least arguable of the bunch surely. Salah was on the cover of time magazine only a month back, he's a well known name to Americans who don't follow football. Outside Messi and Ronaldo he is the most famous footballer alive at the moment and he's done that at Liverpool. Moving anywhere else isn't going to make his star brighter

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
One major trophy in about 15 years for Liverpool and suddenly teams like Bayern and Juventus are lesser destinations? You've not even been the best team in your own country since the 1980s yet claiming now to be biggger than at least one of Madrid or Barca? Comedy.
Please point out where anyone said that we were bigger than Madrid or Barca? "A better team" doesn't equal a bigger club, and it is completely true and warranted at the moment.

Seems the comedy here is that you fail to read other posts properly.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
3) This ones the least arguable of the bunch surely. Salah was on the cover of time magazine only a month back, he's a well known name to Americans who don't follow football. Outside Messi and Ronaldo he is the most famous footballer alive at the moment and he's done that at Liverpool. Moving anywhere else isn't going to make his star brighter
Neymar followers on Instagram = 120m. Salah followers = 28m.
Neymar followers on Twitter = 43m. Salah = 9m.
Neymar followers on Facebook = 60m. Salah = 11m.

Total = 223m followers for Neymar > 48m followers for Salah.

Bearded One

Salah is world class. I laughed when people said last season that he was a one-season wonder.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I’ve never heard of anything so ridiculous.
It's good business. They obviously wanted to Coutinho badly enough to agree to that clause.
Effectively if they want Salah, they agree a price with Liverpool. Barca will then have to stump up an extra £100m on top of that agreed price to be eligible to sign him.
Great business and it means that Liverpool will get a lot more than the player is worth so we can invest in other players