Mo Salah

WhoDaGOAT

Extraordinary biased interpretation of Liverpool's form here.

The dip in form over January and February wasn't a burn out issue. It was a light squad issue. For example, Mané away for a month, Coutinho struggling with injury, Henderson unfit, Sturridge out for periods, Can playing through injury. If the team was burnt out then the strong form wouldn't have returned once certain players returned. Outstanding pressing performances in March wouldn't have happened. Calling it player burn out is just confirmation bias.

Klopp's priority is to have more good players; it won't be to stop pressing. Surrounded by sports science experts and a career history of delivering successful long seasons I'm not sure the 'burned out by February' point really stands up. It appears just one of those lazy lines opposition fans come out with. It simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
Head. In. Sand.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ps-Gegenpress-to-blame-for-injury-crisis.html

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.liver...ond-verheijen-slams-jurgen-klopp-12509186.amp

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Brilliant.

So the Telegraph article is simply asking a question but offers no answer. Was written in January 2016. Liverpool went on to play more games than anybody that season performing extremely well in April and May to get to the EL Final. Absolutely nothing really see here.

The second article stated: "Raymond Verheijen has fired a barbed ‘told you so’ message to Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, after predicting that the Reds manager’s methods would see his side run out of steam in the second half of the season."

Well his prediction didn't come true as Liverpool's form finished about as strong as anyone in the league.

But thanks for offering such watertight evidence. Really settles the debate.

WhoDaGOAT

Brilliant.

So the Telegraph article is simply asking a question but offers no answer. Was written in January 2016. Liverpool went on to play more games than anybody that season performing extremely well in April and May to get to the EL Final. Absolutely nothing really see here.

The second article stated: "Raymond Verheijen has fired a barbed ‘told you so’ message to Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, after predicting that the Reds manager’s methods would see his side run out of steam in the second half of the season."

Well his prediction didn't come true as Liverpool's form finished about as strong as anyone in the league.

But thanks for offering such watertight evidence. Really settles the debate.
The injuries speak for themselves.

Liverpool had 1 game a week from February onwards and played against favourable teams during the the run-in, which I have already told you.

1 game a week is manageable. Chelsea and Leicester won titles with the help of favourable schedules. Liverpool just about scrapped into 4th with a similar schedule. The players did not cope well when the schedule was more hectic and the team's burnout is highlighted by the severity of the injuries over the past 2 years or so.

A larger squad is the only way to counter the effects from his pressing, long term.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
The injuries speak for themselves.
Of course they do. So given United's really unlucky run of injuries last season we can assume that José's methods cause player burn out...

Am I doing it right?

WhoDaGOAT

Of course they do. So given United's really unlucky run of injuries last season we can assume that José's methods cause player burn out...

Am I doing it right?
Players like Jones are naturally injury prone. It doesn't matter who is the manager.

Who won 2 trophies with a more hectic schedule? You have your answer.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Players like Jones are naturally injury prone. It doesn't matter who is the manager.

Who won 2 trophies with a more hectic schedule? You have your answer.
Thanks strawman. It's been great.

Rafateria

Because he's a Roma fan and watched their games

PS: he rarely played on the flank last season. Mostly occupied the center-right areas, playing off Dzeko. Yes he was more advanced than Dzeko a lot of the time, Roma used his pace to stretch defences
I know he's a Roma fan, but really so what ? A thousand fans here will see and assess differently. That quote is directly from Salah and I think he would know better than any fan where he's been playing .. don't you ?!

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Back at Chelsea he always looked like a headless chicken to me. Very fast, but shit end product. Perhaps he's gotten better since then but I wouldn't want him back, especially for the kind of money Liverpool are paying. He may look better in Klopp's system though, since his speed is tailor made for their counter attacking approach.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I know he's a Roma fan, but really so what ? A thousand fans here will see and assess differently. That quote is directly from Salah and I think he would know better than any fan where he's been playing .. don't you ?!
Thing is what he said doesn't contradict what Salah said

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
A comment which just proves you haven't watched him at Roma.
I haven't watched any Roma game last season, but I've seen extended highlights from half of their games. Salah is rapid but with him changing Serie A for PL and not exactly being known for his defensive contribution I don't think he has the gas tank for Klopp demands.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If it works out, him with Mané will be frightening on counters.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
I don't mind the Ox if he's signed for £20m. Good competition for Mane and can play in several positions. Been unlucky at Arsenal and only really got a chance when they changed their system. Wenger the deluded fool that he is chose to play Ramsey on the wing instead..
Ox is good, just blows hot n cold plus his english plus you're a rival, you can have him for 40+

you sold that shit sterling for 50 so only makes sense.

I'd prefer if you took walcott off us, you can have him for 10

Pablitoooo

Supports
Roma
And you know this better than he does himself ? Right.
you can watch one or two Roma matches, you will see..

last season Salah was between a second striker and a right wing. He usually starts from the right and moves to the centre

enjoy your new champion mate, be happy

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
But players on the cusp don't always become stars and I don't think we are in the position to take as many chances as clubs such as United, City and Chelsea. For example I'd rather go all out for Naby Keita, who would be absolute gold in our team. Yes he'd cost a lot more than Ox but then we know we're already interested in him so if it's a case of money that additional £20m could be well spent. Agree wholeheartedly on Aubameyang.
Keita is just like Mane. On the cusp of being great. He is just potential but worth a risk.

People also don't realise that established stars are a bigger risk. If they flop, you might take a massive hit and never get your money back. On top of disrupting your team harmony trying to make them work. With potential, you can be patient and unless they are absolute disasters they always have resale value.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Except supposedly he would be played in central midfield (his preference too). Not too sure about that at all.
The Ox is the perfect CM for a Klopp side imo, he's much better there than on the wing. With Salah in, if you get Chamberlain, a good standard CB and a LB, I think it'd have been an excellent transfer window for your lot.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
I don't mind the Ox if he's signed for £20m. Good competition for Mane and can play in several positions. Been unlucky at Arsenal and only really got a chance when they changed their system. Wenger the deluded fool that he is chose to play Ramsey on the wing instead..
Wenger does it every year doesn't he? Has players like the Ox and Theo and rarely plays them until another club shows an interest then gives them a run at the end of the season.

So permanent striker role now? Does that indicate you guys aren't in the market for a striker? Were you anyway?
I did read a couple of weeks ago that we are not in the market for a big name striker and that Firmino would be our main striker with the like of Mane and Salah either side and Coutinho bit deeper and more central feeding the front three, but we will just have to wait and see

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Good signing to fit the klopp sytem. Still seems like they are short in attack of a player to win them things though. Or a player that frightens the opposition.

They need one more in defence, midfield and attack in my opinion. Im not sure Firminho is a 25-30 goals a season guy nor Origi.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
Good signing to fit the klopp sytem. Still seems like they are short in attack of a player to win them things though. Or a player that frightens the opposition.

They need one more in defence, midfield and attack in my opinion. Im not sure Firminho is a 25-30 goals a season guy nor Origi.
He's not but if Salah can replicate his goal scoring form for us we do have 4 or 5 players who could well hit double figures. Last season our goals we very well spread throughout the team.
Also it does seem we are in the market for a cm, cb and a lb

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Elegant dribbler and decent finisher but still not a game changer that Liverpool needs to seriously challenge for something. As window will progress, Klopp has to set the bar higher for John Henry if they want to be successful.

NoPace

I'd say LB, CB (maybe 2 of them even), DM and goalkeeper are even bigger holes for them.

If I was Klopp I'd focus on adding some proper talent in defence now and they can always replace Firmino next summer with a more prolific goalscorer if the right kind of 9 who can do the things Firmino can do (pressing, playmaking) is available, or maybe Firmino, who's only 25, can go from a 1 in 3 player to a 1 in 2 player with better teammates around him and Coutinho playing deeper instead of Winaldum and giving them more offensive production there.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
So permanent striker role now? Does that indicate you guys aren't in the market for a striker? Were you anyway?
I'd like to see us add another striker (I think £44m for Lacazette would be a steal) but looks like it isn't one of our priorities so far. CB, LB and CM are definitely areas we need to address first. I don't really know who we should be targetting either, because the likes of Aubameyang realistically won't be attainable and the players in the tier below him would hardly be an upgrade on Firmino, especially in Klopp's system. So it would be a purchase for depth, not an immediate first XI one I'd reckon.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
So you think AFCON is an annual event ? Tells us all we need to know about your football knowledge. Thanks & goodbye.
Did I say it was an annual event? I said you'll flop when they go I didn't say it was this year. Injuries will see to that anyway for this year. You can quote me right now when I say Liverpool will be the same as ever next season. That is unless you sign actual quality defenders and midfielders.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Because he's a Roma fan and watched their games

PS: he rarely played on the flank last season. Mostly occupied the center-right areas, playing off Dzeko. Yes he was more advanced than Dzeko a lot of the time, Roma used his pace to stretch defences
might suit him then playing with us. our wingers play pretty narrow with licence to go on the outside if they can . Mane being able to do both was a massive help as it opened up space and helped break sides down.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
our other first choice options seem to be Naby Keita and VVD. need a LB and another winger on top of that . that would be a brilliant summer on paper.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Did I say it was an annual event? I said you'll flop when they go I didn't say it was this year. Injuries will see to that anyway for this year. You can quote me right now when I say Liverpool will be the same as ever next season. That is unless you sign actual quality defenders and midfielders.
What will United be? The same sort of 4/5/6 place finish...you know, the usual post-SAF position.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The Ox is the perfect CM for a Klopp side imo, he's much better there than on the wing. With Salah in, if you get Chamberlain, a good standard CB and a LB, I think it'd have been an excellent transfer window for your lot.
Depends. He might be good in Lallana's role. Not in the dutchman's or hendo's

He'd be much better higher up the pitch, his best skill is his pace and acceleration, but he lacks the IQ to play deeper

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Liverpool should pull out all the stops to try and sign Aubameyang

They didn't even crack 80 goals this season. A top striker who can reliably score against buses without the need for everyone to bomb into the box would improve the defence far more than signing VVD, a LB and a DM/CM

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
does this mean it will be Liverpool's year? and are they seriously in the mix to get Mbappe?

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool

They didn't even crack 80 goals this season. A top striker who can reliably score against buses without the need for everyone to bomb into the box would improve the defence far more than signing VVD, a LB and a DM/CM
So buy a top Striker and that will sort our defence out, I wonder why we've never thought of that, brilliant, i'll make sure I pass that on to our Manager, you say we didn't even crack 80 goals this season like that's some kind of failure, we were the 4th highest scorers last season, we tried your theory in the 13/14 season it didn't work, remember UTD had a top Striker last season and only scored 54 goals, as for Real M, its easy to score a 100 plus goals when theirs only 2 teams in the league.

Last edited:

Rafateria

There is an element of truth to this ... less forward pressing would mean more defensive rigidity. However I don't want us to become the 2017/18 version of 2016/17 United. Klopp has of course had both Aubameyang and Lewandowski before so it's not like he's averse to prolific centre forwards, so long at they are energetic and know how to press intelligently. Another tick in the Auba box.

Rafateria

I'd say LB, CB (maybe 2 of them even), DM and goalkeeper are even bigger holes for them.

If I was Klopp I'd focus on adding some proper talent in defence now and they can always replace Firmino next summer with a more prolific goalscorer if the right kind of 9 who can do the things Firmino can do (pressing, playmaking) is available, or maybe Firmino, who's only 25, can go from a 1 in 3 player to a 1 in 2 player with better teammates around him and Coutinho playing deeper instead of Winaldum and giving them more offensive production there.
I doubt very much that Firmino can go from 1:4 to 1:2 although there are a lot more goals in that attack given a relatively injury free season and more depth - which seems to be Klopp's intent. On the defensive issues Klopp has clearly stated he doesn't, and we won't, play with a DM. However Keita ticks so many boxes with great defensive stats as well as attacking stats that if (and a mighty big IF at the moment it seems) we were able to secure him he would undoubtedly strengthen the midfield and screen the central defence better. LB and CB are key for us. GK can definitely wait a season if Ming continues his form of the 2nd half of last season.

Rafateria

Depends. He might be good in Lallana's role. Not in the dutchman's or hendo's

He'd be much better higher up the pitch, his best skill is his pace and acceleration, but he lacks the IQ to play deeper
All reasons why I don't want him and think it would be £20-25m wasted.