Mo Salah

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What a season.

I hope Real Madrid are watching, in more ways than one.

Addictive

Supports
Liverpool
..and he breaks the record!

The highest scoring premier league goal scorer (in a single season) of all time.. in his debut season.. from the wing!

What a player!

Last edited by a moderator:

Trizy

He deserves the record. He's goals are so spread out. Much better stat than 3 hatticks against minows.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's incredible that with a player like that (or in that form) Liverpool only managed to secure their CL place on the last day. When Suarez was in that kind of form (and Salah's is probably even better), they were one slip away from the title.

Mindhunter

It's incredible that with a player like that (or in that form) Liverpool only managed to secure their CL place on the last day. When Suarez was in that kind of form (and Salah's is probably even better), they were one slip away from the title.
The league is much better than that season. Man City has blown everyone out of the water and we have been very consistent in terms of picking up points againt top opposition. Also, his 32 goals haven't added more value as Suarez's because they concede so many goals and often it takes them atleast 2-3 goals to get wins.

However, no question on his ability. With the free role, and with the mobile center-forward in Firminho and the race horse in Mane, he has really excelled. It would be madness if he leaves this setup to go somewhere else as I truly believe that Klopp is getting the most out of him with his system.

Kapardin

The league is much better than that season. Man City has blown everyone out of the water and we have been very consistent in terms of picking up points againt top opposition. Also, his 32 goals haven't added more value as Suarez's because they concede so many goals and often it takes them atleast 2-3 goals to get wins.

However, no question on his ability. With the free role, and with the mobile center-forward in Firminho and the race horse in Mane, he has really excelled. It would be madness if he leaves this setup to go somewhere else as I truly believe that Klopp is getting the most out of him with his system.
If Liverpool don't win the CL, he would be better off scoring 15-20 in a trophy winning side like Bayern or Real rather than scoring 40 per season in Klopp's system and winning nothing.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
For me, he’s been great but nowhere near Suarez 13/14 level. That’s the highest quality of play I’ve ever seen from a Liverpool player and he was easily the best striker in the world at that point.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Picked up 10 points against the top 6. In 13/14 they got 16. Finished on 84 points vs 75. Add in the CL run and injuries(and luck) and there you have it

harms

Staff
For me, he’s been great but nowhere near Suarez 13/14 level. That’s the highest quality of play I’ve ever seen from a Liverpool player and he was easily the best striker in the world at that point.
That's strange, but I probably agree. On paper Salah's season is much better but he is not as convincing to me as Suarez was (or Henry or Ronaldo before him).

El Pasillo

Salah has been at least 3rd best player in the world behind Messi & Ronaldo thorughout 2017-18 season.

One could argue that Salah might even be on the same level as them during 2017-18 seaosn.

Noone said about the same for when Suárez made his incredible 2013-14 season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Salah has been the 3rd best player in the world behind Messi & Ronaldo thorughout 2017-18 season, which is an even greater feat.

One could argue that Salah might even be on the same level as them during 2017-18 seaosn.

Noone
said about the same for when Suárez made his incredible 2013-14 season.
Noone did? Did everyone go blind that season?

Mindhunter

If Liverpool don't win the CL, he would be better off scoring 15-20 in a trophy winning side like Bayern or Real rather than scoring 40 per season in Klopp's system and winning nothing.
True, he definitely needs to move for greater team achievements like league trophies and CL. However, if his ambitions are limited to individual achievements then the setup is perfect. He has already tried and failed (relatively) at two other clubs.

For a new club, his role will be different and he may (or may not) have defensive responsibilities. Also, he may have to play second fiddle to other marquee players in the team and from the evidence of this season, he doesn't contribute much to the overall play if he isn't scoring or assisting.

Mindhunter

Totall agree. Suarez that season used to run rings around defenders, dribble them once, and dribble them again and get it into the net eventually. He single handedly raised the standard of a mid-table team and took them to second place (and almost first, thanks StevieG).

Every match Liverpool were playing, he was the standout performer. Every opponent was trying to get his to keep quiet. The fall in quality was very real once he moved to Barcelona and Liverpook struggled.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Nowhere near? Weird statement. Suarez was great that season but fell of a cliff post February, from which point onwards his goalscoring record dramatically reduced. Sterling and Coutinho were the two best players in that run of 11 consecutive wins that took us close to the title.

Equally, a large proportion of Suarez' goals came against lower table cannon fodder. Salah's spread of goals is much better and he has the most goals in the league by any player against top 6 opposition. Some huge goals in the CL too. Whilst Suarez' goals reel from 13/14 trumps Salah's from this year - I'd say Salah's effectiveness has been slightly more, especially if we win the CL.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You cannot argue with the numbers. I can understand the other 2 but Suarez ??
I can. Because Henry was a better and more dominant footballer.

Suarez was absolutely brutal in 13/14. A more complete and well rounded footballer than Salah. I suppose their could be argument made against him due to the bigger games but I don't remember those performances well.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I can. Because Henry was a better and more dominant footballer.

Suarez was absolutely brutal in 13/14. A more complete and well rounded footballer than Salah. I suppose their could be argument made against him due to the bigger games but I don't remember those performances well.
Henry was a striker though and also had the skill/possibilty of taking FKs. Plus Henry had several seasons to develop into that player. This is Salah's first proper PL season. That, the number of goals and the variety if the teams he has scored against makes it better
Henry was a better player but Salah's season from an individual POV is better IMHO

El Pasillo

That's strange, but I probably agree. On paper Salah's season is much better but he is not as convincing to me as Suarez was (or Henry or Ronaldo before him).
Noone did? Did everyone go blind that season?
Yeah, noone did (or maybe very few).

However, Suárez was unquestionably regarded by most people as the best #9 in the world during 2013-14 season.

That's a very huge difference.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
You cannot argue with the numbers. I can understand the other 2 but Suarez ??
I think it's fair to say this season the numbers got inflated. Kane has 30 goals for the season in the league too, City broke the points record. Even last year a Chelsea team that wasn't that great managed to come close to breaking it. It's not normal to see these numbers so high.

The bottom clubs aren't as good as they used to be.

kouroux

I think it's fair to say this season the numbers got inflated. Kane has 30 goals for the season in the league too, City broke the points records. Even last year a Chelsea team that wasn't that great managed to come close to breaking it. It's not normal to see these numbers so high.

The bottom clubs aren't as good as they used to be.
You won't see me arguing there. The PL isn't great for viewing, I am sticking with it by habit

Addictive

Supports
Liverpool
Suarez that season was great, but we had no champions league football, we had a weeks rest almost all season.

This season Salah has destroyed both premier league and champions league defences, broken the prem record and got us to the champions league final

Salah > Suarez, in terms of who had a better season, it's not even close

el3mel

Got the golden boot today, another prize added to a perfect season. So proud of him. :drool:

Sarmz

Supports
Barça
Salah has been at least 3rd best player in the world behind Messi & Ronaldo thorughout 2017-18 season.

Noone said about the same for when Suárez made his incredible 2013-14 season.
Suárez was probably better than the both of them in 2013-14.

James Peril

You can say Suarez was better, but «nowhere near» is of course a silly thing to say. It’s very marginal, at best

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
He's scooping up awards. There's always something intoxicating about a stylish, creative left footer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Henry was a striker though and also had the skill/possibilty of taking FKs. Plus Henry had several seasons to develop into that player. This is Salah's first proper PL season. That, the number of goals and the variety if the teams he has scored against makes it better
Henry was a better player but Salah's season from an individual POV is better IMHO
He was a striker who contributed even more to the build up than Salah does. He once got over 20 assists in a season. Different animal.

harms

Staff
Norwich City says hello. Salah has been more efficient against more teams and Suarez is a striker.
To be fair Salah is also a striker if we look at his role. Like Cristiano is — a clear goalscorer from the wing, Suarez contributed more in the build up and by defending from the front

kouroux

He was a striker who contributed even more to the build up than Salah does. He once got over 20 assists in a season. Different animal.
I know all of that but I still think Salah playing his first true season at Liverpool and beating all those records is more impressive. Simply talking about goals here, you don't need to include other things in order to prove that Henry was better, which is the truth that was never questioned.

kouroux

To be fair Salah is also a striker if we look at his role. Like Cristiano is — a clear goalscorer from the wing, Suarez contributed more in the build up and by defending from the front
Cristiano used to be that but not anymore nowadays and besides when Ronaldo was playing as a winger sort of, he basically had nothing to do in terms of pressing.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Norwich City says hello. Salah has been more efficient against more teams and Suarez is a striker.
I see what you're saying, but I definitely believe Suarez rightly earned the Ronaldo & Henry comparisons for a PL season, and now Salah is also in that category.